D&D 5E D&D classic settings or new worlds to explore?

Mercurius

Legend
In the Forgotten Realms thread I ran across this interesting quote, with a brief reply.

Heh All I see is recycling of old IP's. Though 5E is rather interesting, the rest of the product line to myself is not. IMHO I see no creativity. No spark of life of imagination such as Monty Cook's or Margret Weiss's works of recent as an example. That "oh wow" factor to myself is just not there.

What I see from my tired old eyes are businessmen telling the designers to data mine was popular before and not really enhancing what they have now. That takes R&D and I know they are on a certain budget to perform with.

I'll just have to wait and see what comes out next. I am hoping that there is that "oh wow" factor in some of their product line.
I am hoping that is the case.

"Oh wow!!" Factors tend to be trends, and trends fall out of fashion. D&D is a classic, and classics don't fall out of fashion.

I thought this was worthy of its own thread, so here we are. One thing I find interesting here is that both posters are, I think, speaking truths that seem opposed but actually aren't. I will agree with @Icon_Charlie that WotC has a tendency to rehash old material and that we haven't really seen a large burst of new ideas, at least in terms of "fluff," probably since Eberron - and even that was nothing like the "Glory Days" of the late 80s to mid-90s when you had an almost gaudy display of riches in the form of new settings flowing forth from TSR: Forgotten Realms (1987*), Spelljammer (1989), Dark Sun (1991), Planescape (1994), Birthright (1995) and probably others in-between.

(*I realize that the FR goes back much further, but it was first published as a setting in 1987).

Anyhow, I don't expect that we'll ever see a similar Golden Age of Settings. Some folks think there's a direct causal relationship between this focus on settings and the demise of TSR; I don't think it is so clear, that TSR fell apart more through mis-handling as a business, not in terms of creative output. But that's another story. But regardless, it is unlikely that we'll see that sort of thing again.

That said, what we might see--and what WotC has been implying--is that if 2E was the Golden Age of Settings, then 5E could be the Golden Age of Stories. If this is the case, then recycling old IP might not be a bad thing, as long as that recycling is more of a re-freshing than a regurgitation.

But back to these two seemingly opposing views, I think @chibi graz'zt makes a good point, that "wow factor" is often indicative of trendiness, or novelty, as opposed to deeper archetypal resonance, which is, in my opinion, a necessary ingredient to something becoming a "classic." All consumer domains follow this basic pattern: Tons of new ideas come out, but only some of them "stick" and become lasting successes, and only some of those become true classics. Or think in terms of literature - how many novels are published each year, and how few of them having lasting success, let alone become classics.

Now of course not every new idea needs to become a classic and there's no way to plan for it. In fact, I would argue that if you try to create a classic you're doomed to fail, because your creation will likely be too synthetic, could involve pandering, etc.

Anyhow, I see two extremes: One is the endless generation of new product and ideas, what we could call the "shotgun approach." In a way the early years of the OGL were like this, even though post of it wasn't published by WotC. There was tons of stuff coming out, very little of which had lasting success, and almost none of which became classics within the field (although there are quite a few lesser or cult classics). The problem with this approach is what we saw with the OGL: a glut of mediocrity that both figuratively and literally clutters up the shelf and obfuscates higher quality product. The other extreme is the more conservative approach of sticking to what is tried and true; the problem here is that it inevitably leads to stagnation. This is what, I think, Icon Charlie fears is happening - and it is hard to refute this, although we're too early in the edition cycle to make too sharp of a judgement.

As might be obvious by this point, I think that the best approach is both. Fearlessly trying new things, creating new worlds, but also refreshing the tried and true. It doesn't have to be either/or. The only problem, of course, is that WotC is running a skeleton staff. This may change, or it may not. The obvious solution is for WotC to focus on the tried and true and create a license that allows for other publishers to generate fresh ideas. I maintain hope that we'll see this and even, hopefully, WotC to expand a bit and create their own new ideas. Maybe we'll see that with Chris Perkins' setting, which has been rumored for 2016 or 2017.

Anyhow, there you have it. The answer, or my answer is: both. I want to see the old classics revived and explore new worlds.

Oh yeah, while I'm at it, for crying out loud, WotC, please bring back the 32-module for quick and easy placement in any campaign setting!

fjw70

Adventurer
I don't need old worlds updated or new worlds created. I need bits and pieces to cobble together my own world.

Actually the core 4e world is perfect. Just a map with place names and very little detail that I can drop in what I want make it my own.

Yes, a return to the old style adventures with unattached cardboard cover that had the maps on it would be great. In the mean time I am busy collecting and using those old adventures, many of which are new to me.

Mercurius

Legend
I don't need old worlds updated or new worlds created. I need bits and pieces to cobble together my own world.

I feel much the same, which is why I started this thread a week ago. But I don't think this is how everyone feels, or necessarily the only approach I think WotC should take going forward. Many (most?) folks use pre-published settings, and many more use bits and pieces from pre-published settings as part of their cobbling together.

Ideally WotC would take all three routes:

1. Refreshing classic settings
2. Creating new worlds
3. Offering bits and pieces and usable parts to drop into any setting

Wizards spent several years going "new". Late 3e and early 4e was entirely divorced from the past. It was all new-new-new and no thought was given to the lengthy history of the game.
Even the retellings/reimaginings of classics (the 4e Revenge of the Giants and Tomb of Horrors) were very different than their precursor.
A lot of long time gamers had been slowly disenfranchised by Wizards.
The current nostalgic bent is part of lengthy attempt to win back lapsed players and celebrate the history of the game. It arguably started with Revenge of the Giants in 2009 but really came into vogue during the 2010 Encounters season when most of the storylines tied into a classic adventure or tale. In much the same way Batman and Bond went back to basics at the start of their more recent movie franchises. Whenever longstanding franchises try to reignite, the always go somewhat nostalgic and strip away some of what has been added over the years.

At least, unlike the 3e versions (Return to the Tomb of Horror and Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil) the stories are being presented as stand-alone. The Storylines have classic elements but are their own thing.

I imagine this is a short term thing. After a year or two, D&D will return to new stories and new tales, albeit ones steeped in the lore of the game.

I'd like to see some old stuff update as necessary. FR obviously has a lot going on since 4E, so a product outlining the changes would be helpful. Eberron works because the metaplot-clock was stopped at a point when the world is in a delicate balance, so all it needs is some mechanical updates for 5E. Nentir Vale was an excellent setting that deserved a gazetteer but never got one.

In the case of Eberron and FR, their respective campaign guides from 3E/3.5E were among the best D&D books ever released, and there's no need to reinvent the wheel. If WotC wants to support those settings, it should put those books back in print (so newbies can get ahold of them). Of course, it wouldn't make sense to publish 3E books when you're pushing 5E, so even just resell the 60-80% of each book that's just fluff; the rest ought to have revised stats for 5E.

Oh yeah, while I'm at it, for crying out loud, WotC, please bring back the 32-module for quick and easy placement in any campaign setting!
QFT. I really liked DD2: The Sinister Spire, which WotC published right at the end of 3.5E.

DongMaster

First Post
Well considering that two campaign stories (three books) are set in the Sword Coast, and their next big computer game is named after it, a new sort of area book in the Sword Coast wouldn't be off the mark if you ask me. Though I am probably wishing for it, it would tie the whole concept with the brand together.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
In the Forgotten Realms thread I ran across this interesting quote, with a brief reply.

I thought this was worthy of its own thread, so here we are. One thing I find interesting here is that both posters are, I think, speaking truths that seem opposed but actually aren't. I will agree with @Icon_Charlie that WotC has a tendency to rehash old material and that we haven't really seen a large burst of new ideas, at least in terms of "fluff," probably since Eberron - and even that was nothing like the "Glory Days" of the late 80s to mid-90s when you had an almost gaudy display of riches in the form of new settings flowing forth from TSR: Forgotten Realms (1987*), Spelljammer (1989), Dark Sun (1991), Planescape (1994), Birthright (1995) and probably others in-between.

(*I realize that the FR goes back much further, but it was first published as a setting in 1987).

Anyhow, I don't expect that we'll ever see a similar Golden Age of Settings. Some folks think there's a direct causal relationship between this focus on settings and the demise of TSR; I don't think it is so clear, that TSR fell apart more through mis-handling as a business, not in terms of creative output. But that's another story. But regardless, it is unlikely that we'll see that sort of thing again.

That said, what we might see--and what WotC has been implying--is that if 2E was the Golden Age of Settings, then 5E could be the Golden Age of Stories. If this is the case, then recycling old IP might not be a bad thing, as long as that recycling is more of a re-freshing than a regurgitation.

But back to these two seemingly opposing views, I think @chibi graz'zt makes a good point, that "wow factor" is often indicative of trendiness, or novelty, as opposed to deeper archetypal resonance, which is, in my opinion, a necessary ingredient to something becoming a "classic." All consumer domains follow this basic pattern: Tons of new ideas come out, but only some of them "stick" and become lasting successes, and only some of those become true classics. Or think in terms of literature - how many novels are published each year, and how few of them having lasting success, let alone become classics.

Now of course not every new idea needs to become a classic and there's no way to plan for it. In fact, I would argue that if you try to create a classic you're doomed to fail, because your creation will likely be too synthetic, could involve pandering, etc.

Anyhow, I see two extremes: One is the endless generation of new product and ideas, what we could call the "shotgun approach." In a way the early years of the OGL were like this, even though post of it wasn't published by WotC. There was tons of stuff coming out, very little of which had lasting success, and almost none of which became classics within the field (although there are quite a few lesser or cult classics). The problem with this approach is what we saw with the OGL: a glut of mediocrity that both figuratively and literally clutters up the shelf and obfuscates higher quality product. The other extreme is the more conservative approach of sticking to what is tried and true; the problem here is that it inevitably leads to stagnation. This is what, I think, Icon Charlie fears is happening - and it is hard to refute this, although we're too early in the edition cycle to make too sharp of a judgement.

As might be obvious by this point, I think that the best approach is both. Fearlessly trying new things, creating new worlds, but also refreshing the tried and true. It doesn't have to be either/or. The only problem, of course, is that WotC is running a skeleton staff. This may change, or it may not. The obvious solution is for WotC to focus on the tried and true and create a license that allows for other publishers to generate fresh ideas. I maintain hope that we'll see this and even, hopefully, WotC to expand a bit and create their own new ideas. Maybe we'll see that with Chris Perkins' setting, which has been rumored for 2016 or 2017.

Anyhow, there you have it. The answer, or my answer is: both. I want to see the old classics revived and explore new worlds.

Mercurius, thanks for picking up on exactly my point. You put it much more eloquently than I did :)

Shiroiken

Legend
You can't get by with just New for the sake of New. Ebberon worked because it incorporated an under-served but popular genre (steampunk). The glut of settings during the Golden Age was actually a bad business decision, because it diluted the customer pool for each product (most players only play 1-3 settings).

The best idea would be to support the most popular classic settings (FR, Ebberon, then probably Dragonlance, Greyhawk, and Dark Sun) in house. Then you allow limited Licensing to 3rd parties to create other settings (or to support other existing settings, such as Mystara and Birthright). The limited licensing can be written to keep the 3rd party product from hurting sales of the "official" settings, while allowing a market for New things. WotC gets to grow the brand, without the risk that the OGL provided.

JeffB

Legend
IMO, Wizards has done a bad job with old TSR settings in particular,, and a lackluster job on settings in general. my understanding is they did a good job with Dark Sun for 4e, but I know little about the setting during its heyday.

Frankly, like the setting or not, I think they really did a good job with Eberron for the first few years. I think they also did a good job with the Nentir Vale. Bits and pieces centered around adventure material. Somewhat like they are doing with FR so far in 5e.

I think they should leave the old timers like FR and GH alone and move on. Make POD an option for FTA or Gary's work, The GAZ', ROT, and the rest of the old settings. They do a better job when they are starting fresh.

Mercurius

Legend
Wizards spent several years going "new". Late 3e and early 4e was entirely divorced from the past. It was all new-new-new and no thought was given to the lengthy history of the game.
Even the retellings/reimaginings of classics (the 4e Revenge of the Giants and Tomb of Horrors) were very different than their precursor.
A lot of long time gamers had been slowly disenfranchised by Wizards.
The current nostalgic bent is part of lengthy attempt to win back lapsed players and celebrate the history of the game. It arguably started with Revenge of the Giants in 2009 but really came into vogue during the 2010 Encounters season when most of the storylines tied into a classic adventure or tale. In much the same way Batman and Bond went back to basics at the start of their more recent movie franchises. Whenever longstanding franchises try to reignite, the always go somewhat nostalgic and strip away some of what has been added over the years.

At least, unlike the 3e versions (Return to the Tomb of Horror and Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil) the stories are being presented as stand-alone. The Storylines have classic elements but are their own thing.

I imagine this is a short term thing. After a year or two, D&D will return to new stories and new tales, albeit ones steeped in the lore of the game.

My sense of "nosaltgia bents" is that they occur with every edition, even every sub-edition - or at least there's a strong stream of it, even if WotC isn't carrying it. For instance, in 3E you had Necromancer and Dungeon Crawl Classics. Even 4E had a very "gamist" quality that harkened back to Gygaxian D&D, and of course the OSR really gained steam. 5E seems like the natural progression - what could be called the "Archetypal Edition."

My point being, nostalgia is intrinsic to D&D, regardless of generation and era - at least in a large segment of the community. I think this has a lot to do with looking back to the "Golden Age of 12" - that time period when one first learned the game, was imprinted with "What D&D Is To Me." Being a D&D Boomer - that is, starting to play in the 1E era - I have a nostalgia for Erol Otus, Gygaxisms, and the amazing Dragon covers of Denis Beauvais; but I've seen people ten years younger for whom nostalgia means Planescape and Dark Sun, which came out when I had been playing D&D for 10+ years and felt innovative and new. Pretty soon we'll see nostalgia for Eberron or Nentir Vale! In other words, nostalgia usually refers back to what you started with.

I'd like to see some old stuff update as necessary. FR obviously has a lot going on since 4E, so a product outlining the changes would be helpful. Eberron works because the metaplot-clock was stopped at a point when the world is in a delicate balance, so all it needs is some mechanical updates for 5E. Nentir Vale was an excellent setting that deserved a gazetteer but never got one.

In the case of Eberron and FR, their respective campaign guides from 3E/3.5E were among the best D&D books ever released, and there's no need to reinvent the wheel. If WotC wants to support those settings, it should put those books back in print (so newbies can get ahold of them). Of course, it wouldn't make sense to publish 3E books when you're pushing 5E, so even just resell the 60-80% of each book that's just fluff; the rest ought to have revised stats for 5E.

This made me think: Maybe what they should do is do a monthly online article series, giving "5E updates" for each setting. Then, after getting the bulk of them out there, do a poll to see which setting people would most like to see get a full treatment. Clearly we won't see a hardcover 5E Birthright book (unfortunately), and clearly the #1 priority--in terms of economics and the fan-base--would be the Forgotten Realms, but if hard choices have to be made between Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Eberron, Dragonlance etc, then it might be good to get the community's view.

Well considering that two campaign stories (three books) are set in the Sword Coast, and their next big computer game is named after it, a new sort of area book in the Sword Coast wouldn't be off the mark if you ask me. Though I am probably wishing for it, it would tie the whole concept with the brand together.

It makes too much sense, doesn't it? I'd even argue that a detailed Sword Coast handbook would be more useful than a world book, at least to begin with.

You can't get by with just New for the sake of New. Ebberon worked because it incorporated an under-served but popular genre (steampunk). The glut of settings during the Golden Age was actually a bad business decision, because it diluted the customer pool for each product (most players only play 1-3 settings).

The best idea would be to support the most popular classic settings (FR, Ebberon, then probably Dragonlance, Greyhawk, and Dark Sun) in house. Then you allow limited Licensing to 3rd parties to create other settings (or to support other existing settings, such as Mystara and Birthright). The limited licensing can be written to keep the 3rd party product from hurting sales of the "official" settings, while allowing a market for New things. WotC gets to grow the brand, without the risk that the OGL provided.

Good idea - I agree.

IMO, Wizards has done a bad job with old TSR settings in particular,, and a lackluster job on settings in general. my understanding is they did a good job with Dark Sun for 4e, but I know little about the setting during its heyday.

Frankly, like the setting or not, I think they really did a good job with Eberron for the first few years. I think they also did a good job with the Nentir Vale. Bits and pieces centered around adventure material. Somewhat like they are doing with FR so far in 5e.

I think they should leave the old timers like FR and GH alone and move on. Make POD an option for FTA or Gary's work, The GAZ', ROT, and the rest of the old settings. They do a better job when they are starting fresh.

I like this point, or at least let the actual creators work on their creations - which it seems is what they are doing with Greenwood and FR. Of course we can't do that with Greyhawk, but as much as I have feelings of respect and nostalgia for Greyhawk, it may really be time to put it to rest. It really does feel like an artifact of the 70s. Maybe a commemorative product?

Remove ads