Orr Group Q4 2017 Shows Large D&D Bump

The Orr Group - the company behind the popular Roll20 virtual tabletop - released its report for Quarter 4, 2017 recently. They report that D&D hard a larger than usual bump, and that Pathfinder also saw positive growth in the quarter. UP until recently, Roll20 has been an official licensee for D&D; as of this week, they are now an official licensee for Pathfinder and Starfinder, too, so those games might see a bump next quarter (though we won't see those figures for six months).

The Orr Group - the company behind the popular Roll20 virtual tabletop - released its report for Quarter 4, 2017 recently. They report that D&D hard a larger than usual bump, and that Pathfinder also saw positive growth in the quarter. UP until recently, Roll20 has been an official licensee for D&D; as of this week, they are now an official licensee for Pathfinder and Starfinder, too, so those games might see a bump next quarter (though we won't see those figures for six months).

Starfinder rose from #15 to #11, and Star Wars increased to #5.

In separate news, Roll20 sent out a press release celebrating 3 million users. "Hot on the heels of our Pathfinder partnership, Roll20 has hit another new milestone: we now have over 3 million users! It's only been a year since we hit two million, but what can we say - these (digital) dice are hot. We've launched a major website update to keep those millions of players happy, with voice and video chat now integrated directly into our games along with an improved marketplace, fast adventure integration, and compendium upgrades to make finding, creating, and getting into games easier than ever."

tumblr_inline_p4iw9aY8Q01vq0pt5_1280.png

Roll20 Celebrates 3 Million Users; Launches New Voice and Video Chat, New Marketplace, and More

Premiere Virtual TableTop Levels Up Again as More Players Move Online

February 28, 2018: Roll20® celebrated reaching three million users today with the launch of new features to make the virtual tabletop experience even better. Starting now, all Roll20 users can chat with their groups using the improved voice and video chat, find great new adventures in the redesigned Marketplace, and set up games quickly and easily with a host of more streamlined features.

Three million users marks yet another critical success in the recent hot streak for Roll20. The service flew past the two million user mark in January 2017, meaning that it’s only taken Roll20 one year to grow its user base an additional 50%. Major publishers have already embraced the value that Roll20’s virtual tabletop offers players, with Paizo Inc. (Pathfinder®, Starfinder®) launching their official partnership with the service just yesterday.

With a huge variety of roleplaying systems available, players can start or join a game on Roll20 for free and play entirely through their web browser. Today’s new feature launch brings a host of additional creature comforts to make gaming easier than ever. The updates include:

• Improved Roll20 Video and Voice Chat: completely overhauled system makes talking to your party stable, simple, and fun (no guarantees about the plans they make using it, though!)
  • Marketplace Redesign: easier to find, buy, and even gift new adventures to your friends
  • Fast Adventure Integration: add publisher content to your games quicker than ever before
  • Compendium Upgrades: page through a fully indexed, interactive guide styled just like the books
Roll20 Managing Partner Nolan T. Jones welcomed the news of this three million user achievement with a shout-out to the players. “When my friends and I started Roll20, there were only three players, and all of them were us. I'm pretty sure none of us had a million friends, so thank you to whoever keeps spreading the word.”

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
And Star Wars games climbs to 5th after so many years released, amid 2 released editions of D&D and the Starfinder variant of the heavily dominant Pathfinder game, another D&D off shoot. So, you know, congrats on that impressive achievement.

aramis erak

Legend
You've got opportunity and means... but I'm struggling to find the motive here. What nefarious Machiavellian plot are you positing?

I'm wondering if there is a plot at work, because it looks like opportunity, means, and clear signs of data-manipulation.
I myself can see 3 potential motivations: kickbacks; obfuscating the play stats for current games; or inflating numbers as a form of advertising.

Lumping, say, WFRP and the 40K RPGs might be a way of trying to make it look like the current ones are better supported than they actually are. This would serve both obfuscation and advertisement.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Strange that the number of d&d 5e players is only a small percentage more than number of games. I would expect at least 3:1 ratio.
The games played represent actual sessions, but the players represent individual users self-selected of which games they are interested in playing: so somebody can put down 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Star Wars and World of Darkness and count in each bucket.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm wondering if there is a plot at work, because it looks like opportunity, means, and clear signs of data-manipulation.
I myself can see 3 potential motivations: kickbacks; obfuscating the play stats for current games; or inflating numbers as a form of advertising.

Lumping, say, WFRP and the 40K RPGs might be a way of trying to make it look like the current ones are better supported than they actually are. This would serve both obfuscation and advertisement.

That doesn’t sound very plausible to me.

Hussar

Legend
Hrm, so, the conspiracy theory of the day is that GW is paying kickbacks to the Orr group to make it look like GW's products are more popular than they are. Neverminding that the difference in total numbers between, say, 5th place with about 9000 (ish) players and say, 10th place Shadowrun with 8000 (ish) players is preeeeety much zero. IOW, anything outside of the first three places is a rounding error.

I mean, even if they added Starfinder to Pathfinder, you're only looking at another 1000 players and less than a 1000 games. Ummm, who cares? It would not make the slightest difference.

And who in their right mind is going to pay a kickback to the Orr group to fiddle with the data in such a completely meaningless way? This is just bizarre.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads