D&D 5E Poll for PC's with 4 or more levels in a class.

My current (or last PC with 4 or more levels) has 4 or more levels in:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Wow. Barbarian, monk and druid really are the red headed step children here. Not much loving at all.
Perhaps not coincidentally they are arguably the narrowest classes in terms of range of matching heroic-fantasy concepts*.

* the correct word, of course, is 'archetypes,' but 5e has appropriated that for fighter & rogue sub-classes.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I am hoping for a few more respondents to the poll as 70 ish is a bit light.

But, just to be clear, I'm not looking for what is the most popular class. I'm looking to see if dipping into fighter is a broader thing or not. Someone earlier mentioned baselining at 5th level. Well, my thought is, if you are willing to spend the time to get four levels in a given class, that's much more than a dip. That's a pretty significant investment. Particularly in light of the idea that most campaigns don't go much beyond 10th level. 4 levels of a given class is a pretty big chunk of your character if you're only playing to 10th.

Why not just ask if people dipped fighter at the times they had any fighter levels, rather than the rather tortuous and circuitous route you chose in this poll? You wouldn't ask about Warlocks, or ANY other classes, if you were trying to get to only "when you take fighter levels, do you single-class it or multi-class it"? Or, if you want to know about if it's the majority of levels you take, you can ask that too. But, why would you ask about any other class if all this poll is supposed to be about is fighter and the number or percentage of levels you take in fighter?

Hussar

Legend
Why not just ask if people dipped fighter at the times they had any fighter levels, rather than the rather tortuous and circuitous route you chose in this poll? You wouldn't ask about Warlocks, or ANY other classes, if you were trying to get to only "when you take fighter levels, do you single-class it or multi-class it"? Or, if you want to know about if it's the majority of levels you take, you can ask that too. But, why would you ask about any other class if all this poll is supposed to be about is fighter and the number or percentage of levels you take in fighter?

Because then I'd see endless kvetching about what constitutes "dipping"?

I mean, the question gets the right answer doesn't it? People are playing characters with 4 or more levels in a given class, or possibly 4 or more levels in 2 classes. IOW, dipping doesn't appear to be an issue for fighters since the overwhelming majority of people who have responded have at least 4 levels in fighter.

Now, perhaps dipping is an issue for druids, monks or barbarians. It's possible I suppose. Or, perhaps those classes just aren't very commonly played. But, we know that fighters are the most popular class. That's been established pretty conclusively. I wondered if that would remain true if we adjusted for level.

And, apparently, it is true. Fighters remain the most popular class, even when you discounting dipping.

Percentage of levels doesn't really mean anything. A 1/1 fighter/wizard is 50% fighter. So, what are we being told if I ask about percentages? The question I asked answers the question quite clearly, even though I'm not directly asking about fighters, but, rather about all classes.

I'm rather baffled why the results are being questioned. I was pretty clear about what I was looking for. The results are clear. What's the problem? Look, if you thought that a better question would give you a clearer result, then go ahead and make your own poll.

smbakeresq

Explorer
But you missed the point. This thread is a spin off of the original table on D&D Beyond's characters, which shows a VERY huge preference for human fighters, by a wide margin. While there is some distortion due to multiclassing, I don't think its common enough to distort such a lead.

That was the point I was making, nothing more.

Yes, some people like multiclassing, and some classes are distinctively better for dips than other classes. But, even if we assume that 20% of people that make up the survey are using the more popular classes for dips, and remove them from the calculations we still get a very notable preference for Human Fighters in first place.

No I didn't miss the point, I was just replaying to why the MC percentage was where it was. As far as the poll, I have never seen anywhere near 1/3 of PC be fighters, no where even close. I see all the time at least %20 of a group be Fighter, Paladin or Barbarian, someone has to tank. However in all the games I have been in for a long time we have the first session be a PC build session and 1st level session, so when your group is around the table it goes along these lines "Well, with what player A rolled he can play elf wizard, player B wants to try a monk, C rolled good enough to get a bard, so I will take the tank roll, we could use a little more healing but not all the way so E you always wanted to try a druid, nows a good chance."

We take roles to maximize group effectiveness but fit around what people want to play. I usually pick last because I don't mind playing whatever, that usually means tank in my group. But in every group, even in the stores, its always at least %20 tanks but never 1/3 fighters.

Hussar

Legend
No I didn't miss the point, I was just replaying to why the MC percentage was where it was. As far as the poll, I have never seen anywhere near 1/3 of PC be fighters, no where even close. I see all the time at least %20 of a group be Fighter, Paladin or Barbarian, someone has to tank. However in all the games I have been in for a long time we have the first session be a PC build session and 1st level session, so when your group is around the table it goes along these lines "Well, with what player A rolled he can play elf wizard, player B wants to try a monk, C rolled good enough to get a bard, so I will take the tank roll, we could use a little more healing but not all the way so E you always wanted to try a druid, nows a good chance."

We take roles to maximize group effectiveness but fit around what people want to play. I usually pick last because I don't mind playing whatever, that usually means tank in my group. But in every group, even in the stores, its always at least %20 tanks but never 1/3 fighters.

The plural of anecdote is obviously not data. I've almost never seen anyone take more than 3 levels of fighter. Out of the 10 or so characters with fighter class we've had over the past three years, only 2 took more than 3 levels. But, as the poll pretty clearly shows, my group is the outlier here.

So, just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it's not true. The information that was being referenced can be found here:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/conten...t-Common-Race-Class-Combo-In-D-D#.Welf6TKRU8Q

guachi

Hero
My current character just hit level 5 in AL by using downtime to jump from level four to five. He's a Fighter 4/Rogue 1. Because every Dexterity Fighter is better with one level of Rogue.

guachi

Hero
Perhaps not coincidentally they are arguably the narrowest classes in terms of range of matching heroic-fantasy concepts*.

I agree with this about the Barbarian, Druid, and Monk. I've said this multiple times - the range of concepts for the fighter and its popularity means it needs more archetypes than any other class.

ccs

41st lv DM
Out of the 10 or so characters with fighter class we've had over the past three years, only 2 took more than 3 levels. But, as the poll pretty clearly shows, my group is the outlier here.

I'd be more interested in knowingwhy they MC.
Was it in pursuit of how the story was developing?
Or was it a "build" thing where no matter what, even if it didn't make any sense story-wise, the MCing was going to happen?

Remove ads