D&D 5E Saving throw to prevent sneezing or coughing

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I would also say Con, in general.

But in the context described, I might make it a Con check and allow you to add your prof bonus for stealth. Like, you know how to breath and/or cover your mouth to avoid coughing. Seems like something stealth training would help with.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I would go with just the stealth roll, if any, needed for the sneaking - not tack on a second chance at failure by adding another roll.

If you really need to make "maybe you sneezed or coughed and alerted the enemies" a mechanical thing, give the enemies advantage on their perception checks to notice the party, or just outright tell the players "The hall is extremely dusty, and will cause your characters to cough and/or sneeze if they walk down it." and let them either figure out how to stop that happening (i.e. covering their nose and mouth with cloth) or choose to let it happen.

I mean, you're not also going to have them make a roll to make sure they don't trip over their own feet while walking on the flagstone floor, or to make sure they don't blink while an enemy is attacking them, right? So why pick out this particular activity as causing a need for multiple successful rolls to accomplish a single action as intended?

cmad1977

Hero
Stealth check. Unless they environment itself is intended to be a factor. Then maybe disadvantage on the stealth check unless the PCs take some manner or precaution against all the dust(covering faces with a cloth or some such)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texastoast

Explorer
I like the idea of a CON stealth check. Connecting the check to DEX makes no logical sense, but stealth proficiency could still have some applicability, as [MENTION=60210]jaelis[/MENTION] suggested. The PH offers at least one example of performing a skill check keyed of a non-standard ability (I think it's a CON check related to swimming, so athletics). I would probably give advantage if the players thought ahead and improvised protective dust masks or whatever.

I think whether you highlight the risks ahead of time to hint at such preparations (as [MENTION=6701872]AaronOfBarbaria[/MENTION] suggested) depends on the details of the dungeon. I mean, if it's undisturbed for centuries it may be far from obvious how much dust you'll kick up walking through; if it's filled with cobwebs and dust-covered debris maybe a warning of some sort is in order, at least highlighting the dustiness in describing the chamber.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using EN World mobile app

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Sneaking implies an attempt on the part of the PCs to suppress coughs, sneezes, and any other loud noises. You, as DM, might decide there is no way anyone who didn't take some further precaution or other against breathing the dust could make it through the corridor without making such noise, in which case success at the attempt would be impossible unless such precautions are taken. I'd suggest telling the players as much so they can make informed decisions. Once precautions are taken or you decide they're not necessary, compare the result of the PCs' Stealth check with the monster's Perception score to find out if the PCs are noticed. The PCs stay unnoticed in the event of a tie.

Iry

Hero
Concentration Check - Just ignore it. Even normal people can do that.

Stealth Check - Deal with it without drawing attention to yourself.

Clearly a stealth check, which would cover ANY situation in which you are trying to remain unnoticed.

An involuntary sneeze or cough should only be the result of a failed stealth check. You don't need to have an extra Con check on top of the stealth check that is already suitable for the situation.

If you want that extra flavor of having a character accidentally cough, then do that in your narration when they fail their stealth check. 5th edition shines with less checks, not more.

Shiroiken

Legend
Unless this is a trap or magical effect, I agree that it should just be part of the Stealth check (perhaps giving disadvantage due to the distraction). If this is meant to be a trap or magical effect, I'd go with a Con save.

Remove ads