D&D 5E Nonstandard Races You Love And Want Back

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Think about it for a second. Take a Baaz Draconian. Strip out all DL background - no Takhisis, no dragon armies, no evil ritual to create you, nothing. Then, strip out the one thing that actually makes draconians stand out - the way they die - and what's left?

A lizard folk with wings. That's it. It's not a draconian anymore. It's not even draconic anymore.
No, you're left with "Militaristic dragon-people". Which, yeah, is more evident in certain ones of them, but that's what they are at the core. Strip out all the background and just shove them in as mooks and that's all people get from them. They're dragon people, and they have some attempt at an organised structure

As it turns out, that is an easy concept to transfer

And dragon people are different from lizard people. Who are different from dinosaur people

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
And dragon people are different from lizard people. Who are different from dinosaur people

Yeah, my players made the same point after I used several different pictures for various members of my Carnifex villain race.

I've used Saurials from FR, lizardman pictures, and the occasional dragonborn.

Technically they and you are correct, but with the varying art styles, they kinda mesh well. :cool:

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Yeah, my players made the same point after I used several different pictures for various members of my Carnifex villain race.

I've used Saurials from FR, lizardman pictures, and the occasional dragonborn.

Technically they and you are correct, but with the varying art styles, they kinda mesh well. :cool:

So, the images you use to represent your Carnifex are kind of like pictures of different breeds of dogs. Astounding diversity, but they're all the same species.

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer
...Carnifex...
O_O

Do you mean?!?...

NID-Carnifex1.jpg

Corwin

Explorer
...but thats a pretty nice looking monstor [MENTION=1560]Corwin[/MENTION].
That Carnifex is a large tyranid monster from Warhammer 40k. The picture I grabbed is actually the old school version from several editions ago. Here's a more modern revamp they use now:

carnifex_variant_2.jpeg

Same exact name is all, which is why I asked.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
attachment.php

While not the same...that is a monster I could see fitting into my world.

My players will thank (curse) you.

Attachments

• Untitled picture.png
    Untitled picture.png
    41 KB · Views: 407

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
So, the images you use to represent your Carnifex are kind of like pictures of different breeds of dogs. Astounding diversity, but they're all the same species.

... which leads to this thought: the existence of half-elves and half-orcs demonstrates that elves and orcs are one species with humans, much as earlier modern humans crossbred with Denisovians and Neandertals.

[For the sake of this commentary, let's ignore the fact that all the races except humans in D&D are the product of intelligent design by gods created by the writers, not of evolution.]

Hmmm.

Is it possible that orcs and elves can also produce viable orc-elf offspring? Do they refrain from it simply because of mutual antipathy, or have each of their races, while still fecundable (a new word, or a grammatical travesty!?) with humans, evolved far enough away from each other to be genetically separate species from each other?

I'm starting to think that D&D might spawn its own school of taxonomy, insofar as our collective creativity is leading to greater diversity in our imagined life forms, and the problems arising from too many choices.

The term "humanoid", referring generally to bipedal creatures, has its mammalian group (humans, elves, orcs, dwarves, etc.), its reptilian group (dragonborn, lizardfolk, kobolds, some yuan-ti, etc.), and plant-based (myconids, treants, wilden).

The tauric, or sagittarean, lines muck it up a bit, putting a humanoid torso onto a quadrupedal base. The DM's Guild published Tauric Races, which groups them into mammals, reptiles, insects (thri-kreen and tosculi are the two types I'm aware of - the latter is a distinct offering from 13th Age/Midgard for 5e), and snakes (the other yuan-tis, and nagas, I guess).

Since I like creating at least one PC with each possible combination of race and class, I'm now looking at the need for about an extra 132 years of life to get it done. I'm delusional enough to be okay with that, because I think I'm a gnome.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases