D&D 5E Which parts of D&D came from Tolkien?

Wiseblood

Adventurer
IMO the name Ranger was lifted from Tolkien as was the hobbits or halflings as Strider called them iirc. Dwarves and Elves and their relations and sometimes animosity. Some bits and bobs like cloaks of elvenkind I think. Balor or looks like the Balrog. The name Balor is from Welsh myth i think.

MackMcMacky

First Post
This isn't a very good example. It's one of the worst. By analogy, it would be akin to saying, "But the Balrog was renamed a Balor, therefore not Tolkien."

There is not much daylight between the OD&D and 1e Ranger. The OD&D Ranger was explicitly created so that someone could play Aragorn. The class features would not make any sense in isolation but for Aragorn (scrying ability at high level?).

...the second level title is Strider. I mean ... c'mon.

Gygax did borrow from multiple sources. In the case of the Ranger, he borrowed from Tolkien. To view that in any other way is to make the same mistake that you view those who ascribe to much influence to Tolkien are doing, but in reverse. Just as you can clearly trace the lineage of the fire and forget magic system to Vance (the, ahem, Vancian magic system) you can trace the Ranger directly to Tolkien.

(Also, when looking at the history, the rule is that the closer you get to the source, the better. So the OD&D example would be a better example than the 1e, which is better than the 2e, and so on.)
"Which parts of D&D came from Tolkien?" - D&D is more then OD&D and that includes the ranger. If you are arguing that the ranger class wouldn't exist without Tolkien, I'm inclined to agree. If you are arguing that the ranger class is built to reflect only what Aragorn could do, did not borrow from other sources, and did not make some elements of the class out of whole-cloth for game design considerations, I'm inclined to disagree with you.

P.S. Your response seems to be a broad reply inventing conclusions I did not draw. I try to be reasonably precise about what my claims are.

MackMcMacky

First Post
Nah, it is completely irrelevant: by 1E things were evolving in their own direction, which may have involved more or less Tolkienian influence in some areas, but it is not part of this discussion, being too late in the game. The OD&D was specifically designed because one of the Greyhawk players wanted to play Aragorn: so he and Gygax worked out a set of rules to simulate what that meant in game terms. I really don't see why folks want to die on this particular Hill: the Ranger is based on Aragorn.
The ranger is based on Aragorn and then altered for game design considerations and adding elements from other sources. "The Rangers is based on Aragorn." is not a complete assessment of the class in regard to the question, "Which parts of D&D came from Tolkien?".

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The ranger is based on Aragorn and then altered for game design considerations and adding elements from other sources. "The Rangers is based on Aragorn." is not a complete assessment of the class in regard to the question, "Which parts of D&D came from Tolkien?".
It isn't meant to be a "complete assessment," whatever that might mean, but a core explanation of the conception, original and design intent of the class in OD&D. We are really just discussing OD&D in these threads, frankly.

MackMcMacky

First Post
Well, precision is always a good thing. But in that case, given the ongoing conversation about this particular issue ... feel free to look back on this thread, or the other thread-
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?595433-Why-D-amp-D-is-not-(just)-Tolkien

I'm not entirely sure I understand your point. If you wish to clarify it further, please feel free. Given that we have been discussing, at length, those things in D&D that "came from" and are "inspired by" and/or "influenced by" Tolkien, I don't fully grok your disagreement. I certainly don't understand your earlier point about 1e being better evidence than, say, OD&D, which you say you are unfamiliar with. Of course "D&D is more th{a}n OD&D," but no one would seriously argue that, inter alia, the 4e Ranger provides good evidence as to the origin of the Ranger in D&D. At least ... I hope not.

For example, saying that things change for design consideration reasons isn't that germane to the conversation. I can posit, with a good deal of certainty, that a number of illusionist spells (and the wording with regards to "shadow stuff") "came from" Zelazny, even though there would necessarily be game mechanics that are different; because literature is not a game. No one seriously argues that the spell system is not Vancian because "game mechanics" require the spells to be cast in a way that does not fully match what Vance wrote; instead, the influence is so obvious, that it's in the name (Vancian spellcasting system).

As already stated numerous times in these two threads, if someone is using the Ranger as their example to argue against Tolkien, something has gone seriously wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

...and I say that as someone who has spend no inconsiderable effort arguing against those who improperly ascribe things to Tolkien (IMO).
Aren't you & the guy who said the 1E & OD&D Ranger was basically the same? You are throwing a lot of words around in some sort of dance but the reality is, the point I am making, is valid to the OP. The Ranger is obviously influenced by Tolkien's work. It is also obviously influenced by something else or by some person's rather liberal/skewed interpretation of Tolkien's ranger. The giant damage bonus does not obviously follow from Tolkien.

There is nothing untoward about qualifying the degree of influence Tolkien had in any aspect of the game based on the OP. You and Parmandur appear to be attempting to set parameters that are unreasonable... and have been a bit tacky about it.

MackMcMacky

First Post
It isn't meant to be a "complete assessment," whatever that might mean, but a core explanation of the conception, original and design intent of the class in OD&D. We are really just discussing OD&D in these threads, frankly.
Frankly, "we" aren't. I am discussing "Which parts of D&D came from Tolkien?" which is rather more broad than you want it to be.

Remove ads