Chill Touch can be twinned?

WilliamCQ

Explorer
Some hours ago a GM told me I couldn't twin (Sorcerer feature Metamagic option Twinned Spell) Chill Touch as a hand need to grab ; I didn't contradict but my argument would have been: why can't the magic that allow those special castings can just make 2 hands for that casting?

Thank you kindly

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Twinned Spell
When you cast a spell that targets only one creature and
doesn’t have a range of self, you can spend a number of
sorcery points equal to the spell’s level to target a second
creature in range with the same spell (1 sorcery point if
the spell is a cantrip
).

Chill Touch meets those requirements as long as you have at least 1 sorcery point.

Ps. Unless you are multi-classing a Death Domain Cleric. Then that would be just nasty.

Nevvur

Explorer
Some hours ago a GM told me I couldn't twin (Sorcerer feature Metamagic option Twinned Spell) Chill Touch as a hand need to grab ; I didn't contradict but my argument would have been: why can't the magic that allow those special castings can just make 2 hands for that casting?

Thank you kindly

The DM was wrong. It was nice of you not to make a fuss at the table, but there's a difference between simply pointing out an incorrect ruling and bringing the game to crashing halt to argue about it for more than half a minute. While the argument you suggest is valid in a way, "because magic" could be used to justify almost anything. You'd be better served having the relevant text at hand and citing it.

Worst case scenario, the DM likes to make spontaneous house rules to shut down his players. More likely, he just didn't understand the rules and you missed an opportunity to improve his system mastery. Don't hesitate to speak up when the DM makes an incorrect call, just try not to be a douchebag about it.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
The DM was wrong. It was nice of you not to make a fuss at the table, but there's a difference between simply pointing out an incorrect ruling and bringing the game to crashing halt to argue about it for more than half a minute. While the argument you suggest is valid in a way, "because magic" could be used to justify almost anything. You'd be better served having the relevant text at hand and citing it.

Worst case scenario, the DM likes to make spontaneous house rules to shut down his players. More likely, he just didn't understand the rules and you missed an opportunity to improve his system mastery. Don't hesitate to speak up when the DM makes an incorrect call, just try not to be a douchebag about it.

You can also bring it up after the session is over.

I suspect your DM has played earlier versions of the game in which Chill Touch functions like this: you cast the spell on yourself. You then make a melee touch attack to deliver it to the target.

The 5e version of this spell is very different to previous editions.

guachi

Hero
I'd give the DM a pass on being wrong as the spell implies in its name that the caster has to actually touch the target and it's easy to mistake older versions of the spell for the current version.

Or maybe it's that I made a similar mistake by thinking the spell had a range of self and then you touched a target. I don't think I was mistaking it for previous versions of that particular spell just how spells like that had functioned in the past.

When in doubt on spells and abilities I as DM have a player read the spell/ability description aloud for the entire table to hear. After awhile you get familiar with the various ways 5e resolves things but it can hard to remember every single effect.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
why can't the magic that allow those special castings can just make 2 hands for that casting?
Or hit 2 people with 1 slap. Moe did it all the time to Larry and Curly.

[video=youtube;3eaX9QmmfWE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eaX9QmmfWE[/video]

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
First, I'm with the majority ruling here that it should work.

Second, I think [MENTION=6800480]WilliamCQ[/MENTION] handled it maturely - bring it up, but don't derail the table with it. It can always be discussed after the session.

That said, I see at least one post ascribing negative motivations to the DM for saying no. That's not particularly cool. Perhaps the DM is reading the spell that it doesn't target anything, it summons a hand in the space of anotehr creature and then the Hand targets them. Or some other rules permutation that I haven't thought of.

Please folks, don't assume the DM is making the call out of malice or sheer stupidity. We don't have a lot of information, it's just not cool.

(And please don't argue that the case I brought up is wrong - I've already said I wouldn't rule that way, it was just one example of how a DM could look at it quickly during a session and make a calling.)

Remove ads