D&D 5E GWM, SS, CEx: updated!

Sadras

Legend
The fighter doesn't just compete with casters. He competes with rogues, barbarians, paladins rangers and monks too. We already know the fighter gets no social or exploration benefits. Without those feats rangers and paladins and rogues likely overtake him in damage too. Monks even stay competitive with him. IMO. At that point why play a fighter?

Valid point, but I think, if I have understood correctly, that the real issue with GWM is the comparison between a Fighter with GWM and a Fighter going any other combat/weapon-style route.

G

Guest 6801328

Share your data and scenario assumptions. That's what the "justified" word in the title of this thread is about. Pics or it didn't happen.

That's pretty cheeky considering that your "data" in the original post consists solely of DPR numbers rounded to the nearest 100.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The fighter doesn't just compete with casters. He competes with rogues, barbarians, paladins rangers and monks too. We already know the fighter gets no social or exploration benefits. Without those feats rangers and paladins and rogues likely overtake him in damage too. Monks even stay competitive with him. IMO. At that point why play a fighter?

Any sort of balancing process for current 5e needs to look at feats first, so that we can get closer to balance between same-class builds, and also respect design considerations such as "melee should out-damage range". The fact that there are only a few feats that are actually outliers also points towards a process where feats are corrected first.

Once the feats are changed so that same-class builds are balanced respective to each other, than you can look at inter-class balance. You don't want to try to fix fighter by assuming SS or GWM are possible solutions if you're just going to change SS and GWM anyway.

TwoSix

That's pretty cheeky considering that your "data" in the original post consists solely of DPR numbers rounded to the nearest 100.
Not an invalid point, but some numbers are still better than no numbers. I'd also be interested to see [MENTION=6801845]Oofta[/MENTION] 's data.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Any sort of balancing process for current 5e needs to look at feats first, so that we can get closer to balance between same-class builds, and also respect design considerations such as "melee should out-damage range". The fact that there are only a few feats that are actually outliers also points towards a process where feats are corrected first.

Once the feats are changed so that same-class builds are balanced respective to each other, than you can look at inter-class balance. You don't want to try to fix fighter by assuming SS or GWM are possible solutions if you're just going to change SS and GWM anyway.

On the flip side you don't want to remove them without having a fighter fix already in place for a game without them. In other words, never do one without the other. If your not also going to do the other then don't do either of them.

TwoSix

On the flip side you don't want to remove them without having a fighter fix already in place for a game without them. In other words, never do one without the other. If your not also going to do the other then don't do either of them.
Sure, in a perfect world, you bundle everything together into a suite of changes. Real world, we're just noodling around on the internet. :)

G

Guest 6801328

...unless you are "removing them" in the theorycrafting sense; not actually removing them from the game.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Sure, in a perfect world, you bundle everything together into a suite of changes. Real world, we're just noodling around on the internet. :)

In which case my concern is legitimate because fighter buffs may never materialize after the removal of GWM and SS.

clearstream

(He, Him)
I have two things to say about that. 1) Some data is more than none; and 2) I round to respect accuracy over precision. It's easy when doing estimations to get into a false sense of precision, when honestly a variance of at least a few points a round is likely and shouldn't be concealed.

Remove ads