D&D 5E GWM, SS, CEx: updated!

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
No, you will allow some misses in order to conserve your dice. Turning a 3 into a hit by using a Precision die is often too unlikely.

Say 1s are caught by Lucky or Halfling. Then say 2-4 is the acceptable miss range; that you start using your Precision dice when you roll 5 or more. (This still allows a small risk of using a die, rolling low, and still missing)

Something like it at any rate; the analysis should tell you the optimal cut-off number (where you no longer gain any DPR by gambling a die, as opposed to saving it for a less risky time)

But as a general approach towards number crunching the effect, I'd recommend it.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

You will use your precision dice on the first time you miss by 3 or more. If you have more than 1 then 4 or more is probably better.

Oofta

Legend
Certainly I found that GWM really kicks in once you have Precision. Remember the superiority dice limit. Maybe for your simulation you can allow 2 dice per combat, only used on misses by say 1-4 (or 1-3 if 1-4 is burning through the dice too fast).

Are you including multiple foes, so that the cleave can kick in? If you're not, then per this thread http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?590936-Average-number-of-enemies-per-encounter you are representing very unusual combats.

The plan is to allow 2 superiority die per fight, use it if you miss by 1/2 or less (don't remember off the top of my head when they go to d10s). I may also do as mentioned and run a range.

Multiple opponents is one of the things I will probably add at some point. Maybe the poor allosaurus just needs to be a pack hunter, they're getting stomped on pretty quickly. Some of the effectiveness is going to depend on how bunched up the enemy is; if you're fighting creatures with 10 ft reach, you're probably only adjacent to 1 at a time for example. In addition, how many to you normally have adjacent to you at any given time? There's a physical limit based on size and then a practical limit based on tactics.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
At least use them on 1-3 or 1-4. The fighters are over so fast if you stick with 1-2 they will rarely be used. Also we all are in agreement that 1-3 or 1-4 is the optimal strategy to use those dice.

The plan is to allow 2 superiority die per fight, use it if you miss by 1/2 or less (don't remember off the top of my head when they go to d10s). I may also do as mentioned and run a range.

Multiple opponents is one of the things I will probably add at some point. Maybe the poor allosaurus just needs to be a pack hunter, they're getting stomped on pretty quickly. Some of the effectiveness is going to depend on how bunched up the enemy is; if you're fighting creatures with 10 ft reach, you're probably only adjacent to 1 at a time for example. In addition, how many to you normally have adjacent to you at any given time? There's a physical limit based on size and then a practical limit based on tactics.

clearstream

(He, Him)

Adjacency doesn't matter for the cleave because you can move between an attack and a bonus attack.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
The best and simplest way to fix the -5/+10 mechanic is to delete it. Make those feats "half feats" instead, giving +1 Str or Dex in lieu.

clearstream

(He, Him)
The best and simplest way to fix the -5/+10 mechanic is to delete it. Make those feats "half feats" instead, giving +1 Str or Dex in lieu.
It's an option. Two issues I see are 1) nerfing martial damage puts casters even more in the driving seat, 2) power-attacks make for a bit of excitement, the lowered chance and high damage adds some fun tension. Overall my belief is we want to preserve the power-attack and only tune it down for ranged, with "once per day" which if you look at the numbers brings it nicely into line.

Everyone has their own narrative baseline. For me, I want the toe-to-toe fighter who has sacrificed defense to wield the biggest weapons in the game, to deal the most damage. Heroic fantasy.

CapnZapp

Legend
I did exactly this for GWM, also renaming the feat to "Cleave" since that's now what it offers.

Of course, this makes it drop from the minmaxer's radar, since all it does now is to provide a use for your bonus action (assuming there's no crit fish build).

Still you're right about the mechanic. It was simply not analyzed well enough.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
It's an option. Two issues I see are 1) nerfing martial damage puts casters even more in the driving seat, 2) power-attacks make for a bit of excitement, the lowered chance and high damage adds some fun tension. Overall my belief is we want to preserve the power-attack and only tune it down for ranged, with "once per day" which if you look at the numbers brings it nicely into line.

Everyone has their own narrative baseline. For me, I want the toe-to-toe fighter who has sacrificed defense to wield the biggest weapons in the game, to deal the most damage. Heroic fantasy.

Yeah, imo martial damage dealers are already in the driver's seat in 5e. They still deal the most damage overall and never run out of sword swings. And almost every subclass gets magic too, so....

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I did exactly this for GWM, also renaming the feat to "Cleave" since that's now what it offers.

Of course, this makes it drop from the minmaxer's radar, since all it does now is to provide a use for your bonus action (assuming there's no crit fish build).

Still you're right about the mechanic. It was simply not analyzed well enough.

Free attack when you drop someone or crit, plus a Str or Dex boost, is still a great feat imo. Just not OP.

Remove ads