Is Chaotic evil more evil than Lawful evil?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Drifter Bob said:
Hmmm.. I seem to have noticed a certain amount of name calling toward me.

The fact that others may not have been behaving is no excuse for behaving poorly yourself. "He hit me first (or also)" is not a viable defense.

I pointed you out because you seemed the most egregious offender at the moment. I figured anyone else thinking of poor behavior would take the hint. If not, they'll deserve what the mods'll give 'em.

Davek

First Post
Umbran said:
I pointed you out because you seemed the most egregious offender at the moment. I figured anyone else thinking of poor behavior would take the hint. If not, they'll deserve what the mods'll give 'em.

Next time it might be more fair to direct the suggestion to everyone, not just one individual. I know it would be nice to expect everyone else to learn from the mistakes of others, but realistically it ain't going to happen.

S'mon

Legend
Drifter Bob said:
With regard to the actual thread, I'm sticking to my theory of the Uncertainty of Alignment principle. Anyone interested in discussing that will find me receptive.

There's the problem though that the 'holy writ' of the Rulebook definitions varies though, according to the moral beliefs of the people who wrote those definitions. Gygax-1977 definitions are from a different standpoint than Tweet & co-2000 definitions. The Gygaxian approach is particularly interesting since Gygax identified Lawful-Good with his Roman Catholicism and thus by definition the 'best' alignment, whereas Chaotic Good is presented as 'tainted', yet as a lapsed Catholic he doesn't seem to actually _like_ LG and the Gord books present Neutrality as the morally-preferable choice!

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Nope.

Absolute devotion to the cause of evil is LE.

Randomly evil is CE.

So it is possible to view it as LE able to do more evil and does more evil because it is focused and organized while CE simply does it as opportunity presents itself or for fun on whims which change.

Is group oriented evil better than individually oriented evil?

Is it less damaging to be evil and serve an evil cause than to be evil and only inflict evil on a personal scale?

Actually, I think absolute devotion to the cause is Neutral Evil.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Before someone replies by saying, "No, just more chaotic", let me make it clear what I'm asking. Is a chaotic evil person a "worse" person than a lawful evil person? I mean, a lawful evil person at least has some code of conduct, some sense of loyalty, some concept of allegiance and order.

A chaotic evil person, on the other hand, is loyal to nothing or no one, only him (or her) self.

Think of it this way. Tony Soprano = Lawful Evil. Ted Bundy = Chaotic Evil. They're both killers, but we all know who's worse...

In my mind, lawful or neutral evil are "worse" than chaotic evil, simply because they can do more damage and be far more insidious.

Somebody who is chaotic evil is really just a psychopath. They have no regard for life, the law, others, etc. It's entirely selfish whim with a very sadistic bent that drives them. But they are usually the easiest to spot and counter. Like Geoffrey or Ramsay in Game of Thrones, they don't rise to power, they get it by opportunity and maintain it solely through their personal power. Almost nobody willingly serves such an individual, it's entirely with fear.

Hitler shows how dangerous a lawful evil person can be. He's responsible for far more evil than Bundy. Even a Tony Soprano is responsible for far more death and despair than Bundy.

Hannibal Lecter is somebody I'd pin as neutral evil, and I think he's the most dangerous of the three. He has no problem with random death and destruction, but will happily work within and leverage the construct society has created to make his evil acts possible. Most serial killers probably fall here more than chaotic evil.

On the other hand, lawful evil people are usually very charismatic. Or at least those that rise to power are. There is a loyalty to those who helped them get to where they are, although that loyalty is based on a certain kind of trust and if that trust is broken they can turn on you very quickly. But they rule through the support of others, which means they are also capable of getting others to perform evil acts for them.

Neutral evil is one who essentially values evil period. Outward appearances are deceptive, and they can combine the power of society that a lawful evil person can, but the reality is that they will look for any opportunity and take it by whatever means is necessary, even if that's turning against their own. Essentially a neutral evil person is chaotic evil in a lawful evil wrapper.

Essentially a lawful evil character believes in the structure that society provides and its benefits, but such a structure is not constrained by a simple concept of good and evil. Slavery, oppression, removal of dissidents and those that speak out about the state can be removed by whatever means necessary.

Neutral evil sees the benefit of such a structure in controlling others, but feels no compelling reason to be bound by such a structure themselves. It is simply another tool to be used to accomplish their own selfish goals.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I simply do not agree with these views.

Vandalism is NOT CE. It might be to you, but to liken a misdemeanor property crime with CHAOTIC EVIL is applying an analytical framework we simply do not agree with.

Simlarly, embezzling isn't evil. It's selfish. Its wrongful and clearly unlawful. But EVIL?

I think when you present a continuum of "evil" that ranges from spray painting graffitti to theft, ritualistic serial murder and the holocaust, your aperture needs significantly more focus.

This is clearly a point of departure. You and I do not agree on this matter and what appears self-evident to you seems clearly wrong-headed to me.

Actually, this is a good point. Now that the comparison is made, I would consider vandalism and embezzling chaotic neutral acts. They aren't good, but they aren't inherently evil either. They are certainly self-serving and unlawful.

Thanks for that. It clarifies a bunch.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Vandalism destroys someone else's property, costing them money, possibly substantial emotional injury. How can that not be evil? Is it as evil as murder? Of course not. But evil exists on a continuum, and "less evil" does not equal "not evil." (For the record, though, perhaps I should have said "destruction of property," since I was thinking of actual damage, not spray-painting.)

Same with embezzlement. Where do you think that money's coming from? It's not created out of whole cloth. Every cent that's going to an embezzler is coming out of someone else's pocket. Again, far less evil than murder, but still evil.

You think it unfocused to include all of these? Why? It's all part of the same continuum, even if it's very far apart on that continuum. Bottom line is, anything that causes direct harm to someone else, without substantial mitigating circumstances (and sometimes even with mitigating circumstances) is evil; all that remains is a matter of degree. I don't believe it's possible to discuss the nature of evil without examining the "little evils" as well as the big ones.

Someone else had a good example. The Rwandan genocide vs. Stalin's purges. One's chaotic, ones lawful. But I hardly think one is "less" evil than the other. They're both utterly horrific.

Again, law vs. chaos is simply a discussion of what form the evil takes. It doesn't measure degree.

Actually, until reading through these posts, I would have probably said the same thing, but now something has made sense to me that clarifies it a bit.

Evil acts are those that deprive another of their freedom - slavery, or the ultimate, death. They are also acts that inflict direct pain and harm to others, like torture, etc. They are evil regardless of the construct of society.

Acts like vandalism are against another, but they are within an artificial construct of society to begin with. In other words, they aren't universal. In a society without money, embezzlement doesn't exist. Sure, it's not a good act, but not quite evil either. It's definitely not lawful. So I think it ends up as chaotic neutral.

In other words, on the good/evil spectrum, neutral is where something lands if it's not good, but not bad enough to be evil. Even damage of property.

In a sense, evil acts are those that are essentially irreversible. You can heal the body after torture, but not the mind. Yes, D&D is a world with resurrection, but death is still final for most. Evil is an act against a person, where neutral is an act against property.

That's not to say that some acts against property can't be evil, such as desecration of a holy site. But for the most part the merely "bad" crimes would land as chaotic neutral acts.

Likewise, a society that has laws that don't respect the property of others would be lawful neutral. For example, if the crown can take whatever land it chooses, without recompense to the owners, that would be lawful neutral. If they could imprison you indefinitely without cause or charges, I would consider that lawful evil.

You're right, it's part of the same continuum, but it's not the continuum of evil. It's a continuum from good to evil.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Haven't read the 13 pages of posts [from 12 years ago ;)], so apologies for any repetition.

To answer the direct thread question, I think Chaotic evil is more...dangerous than Lawful Evil. More unpredictable, less organized, and thus more prone to greater, more careless (and care free) evil.

Whereas Lawful evil may be the more scheming, more thoughtful, more organized and better understood (perhaps even able to be anticipated) evil.

Chaotic Evil is the evil of Destruction. Lawful Evil is the evil of Oppression.

The LE doesn't have to, or necessarily even want to, destroy anything. They want to exert control over others, build their own personal/selfish power, advance ORDER through their evil. But they can and will destroy if that suits their needs [contributing to building/exerting their own power over others they are inevitably trying to bring about].

The CE doesn't have to, or necessarily want to, oppress anything. They want to wreak destruction of life, of beauty, of morals, of whatever they can get their -literal or figurative- hands on, spread CHAOS through their evil. But they can and will oppress if that suits their needs [contributing to the destruction/chaos they are inevitably trying to bring about].

One is not, necessarily MORE evil than the other, and I think each is equally capable of being just as "scary" and "scheming" and "devastating/destructive" as the other.

Last edited:

Remove ads