D&D 5E How do your roleplay?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
O/T: is it just me or does anyone else get bothered by people "laughing" at posts that are not made in jest? Seems like an abuse of that feature and a deliberate effort to offend the poster. If someone is not saying something funny then laughing at their words is not good etiquette.

Anyway - it's quite interfering with my reading of this thread.

(I fully expect to be laughed at now.)

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
O/T: is it just me or does anyone else get bothered by people "laughing" at posts that are not made in jest? Seems like an abuse of that feature and a deliberate effort to offend the poster. If someone is not saying something funny then laughing at their words is not good etiquette.

You could report it to the moderators. Or do as I do and relish it as you watch your name go up the list of Top Laughs Received. I'm #6 now!

I don't worry about it for a couple reasons.

1) Its impossible to control what others think of your ideas.

2) Hey its XP no matter how you get it.:lol:

Libramarian

Adventurer

I think it's just @Jeff Albertson doing that. He seems to think this is Reddit with XP being the upvote button and Laugh the downvote button. It's quite annoying.

MostlyDm

Explorer
I'm on Tapatalk half the time (mostly just because the mobile browser view got all screwed up for a while... It works fine again now, but Tapatalk isn't too bad) and as far as I can tell the only thing I can do is "like" posts.

Not sure if that translates to XP or laughter. I promise if I inappropriately laugh at anything that's gonna be the reason though.

pemerton

Legend
I did not care for the tone or attitude of 2E but the mechanics were more or less perfectly playable, and could result in an enjoyable game if run by a DM who didn't buy in to the railroading propaganda.

<snip>

Action declaration is extremely important but this importance has less to with stat values than you might think.

<snip>

Since the release of the Greyhawk supplement in 1975 the importance of high stats and stat creep have steadily risen in the game.

<snip>

Check out the bonuses and penalties to advancement due to abilities table on page 11 of Men and Magic. A character with only average or slightly below average ability scores didn't suffer from an inability to affect outcomes during play. Likewise, a character with high stats didn't dominate outcomes during play. The player's decisions were the primary factor in successful play, not what bonus they happened to have on the character sheet.
This is all interesting for those who aren't familiar the history of stat bonuses over early editions of D&D (I'm not one of those people.)

But I don't think it's at odds with what I'm saying.

In AD&D - both editions - stats and stat bonuses matter to action resolution: via combat mods, via saving throw mods, via hit points, via getting low-level thief skills to percentages where there is a real chance of success, via "roll under on d20" mechanics, etc. Gygax wasn't just making stuff up when he talked about the importance of stats in his PHB and DMG.

A character with no good stats, in these systems, is apt to be blown about by the winds of fortune - and as playstyles change over time, the player becomes increasingly dependent upon the GM extending fortune to him/her.

If a game features a given statistical range, say 3-18 for example, and players can only "meaningfully" affect outcomes if their characters have stats in the upper part of that range then I say its a crap system full stop. Why bother even having such a range if the lower part of it is that unplayable?
At least in D&D, the answer to this question is that it reinforces role differentiation. A player whose character is weak in one respect but not in another has a reason to try to come at the fiction, or to change the fiction, such that weaknesses are not exposed and strengths can be brought to bear.

This isn't possible for a player whose character has no notable strengths. But that just brings us back to Gygax's point about the importance of some good stats for an effective AD&D PC.

It is important to define the meaning of what it means to "beat" a dungeon or wilderness adventure. The expectations of what this actually means has changed somewhat over time. Originally, this meant that players would explore the area, extract the treasures, and survive the dangers presented therein by any means they could devise.
Yes. That is how I used the term.

as the importance of mechanical stat values rises, the importance of player input declines.

<snip>

These days beating the dungeon means surviving the specific challenges the DM has prepared. Most challenges feature proscribed mechanical methods required to beat them. A combat encounter of X difficulty, an exploration or negotiation challenge of X DC.
I can't comment on the modules that have been published for 5e, as I don't own them and haven't read them.

But I don't agree that there is, in general, any negative correlation between the importance of mechanical systems of resolution and the importance of player input. For instance, in a system of resolution based around "intent and task", even if the upshot of resolution is failure, the player's input is key to the resulting change in the fiction. (This was discussed at some length in the recent "fail forward" thread on the General board.)

That provides a further illustration of why I think action declarations are key to roleplaying, and of why I personally find 2nd ed AD&D - with its complete disregard for action declaration, and the complete mismatch between its basically Gygaxian mechanics and its obviously non-Gygaxian aspirations - to be a nadir rather than a zenith for "good roleplaying".

pemerton

Legend
I'm not so sure. Given that... depending on AD&D vs 5e, stat checks vs attack rolls, etc... Stats provide anywhere from 5% success per point (AD&D roll under stat resolution), to 5% per 2 points (everything in 5e), to considerably less than either of those (attack bonuses in AD&D).

The difference between, say, 11 and 15 Strength is not nearly enough to mark one character as a totally ineffective driver of action.

In your Tomb of Horrors play through summary you gave a series of examples of player skill. Spiking walls, recognizing a curse that inverted alignment and gender, etc.

None of these are especially tied to stats. Creative players, prepared players, genre savvy players... These are all ways player skill can help a character to survive, and are independent of stats.
I agree on STR and combat. An odd artefact of the percentile STR rules for fighters is that non-18 STR has a much lower mechanical impact on combat, saves etc than the comparable ranges of DEX, CON and WIS.

On the ToH example: I think this relates to some of the points about changes in playstyle that [MENTION=66434]ExploderWizard[/MENTION] makes.

In 2nd ed AD&D, much more than at the time ToH was first played, I think the GM is likely to call for a STR check to successfully hammer in spikes; for an INT check to notice that the cleric is not an anti-cleric; etc. Expectations around resolution and automatic success changed (and I think were changing even between 1975 and 1978 when the PHB was published).

In a system where the GM "says yes" if the players articulate a credible plan, and doesn't call for dice rolls to see if the plan succeeds, stats are not really relevant. But (again to echo [MENTION=66434]ExploderWizard[/MENTION], I think) once we get the thief class introduced and other similar changes in approach, that earlier style tends to drop away.

(To clarify the relationship between this comment and the ToH example: the ToH example is meant to illustrate the importance of "making good moves"; but over time "good moves" involve stat checks because of broader changes in approaches to action resolution, making stats more central. The flipside of this is that it's not entirely clear to me what stats are even for in very early D&D, but that's a tangential issue)

At some point one decides they are interested in playing the best game they can with the hand they have been dealt, and they find the fun in that.
Sure. But there is also the possibility of mismatch between the hand-dealing rules and the play rules. I think 2nd ed AD&D suffers from this.

I've very rarely, if ever, encountered conflict over who drives the fiction in any game I have played.
I have encountered it. I've also ready very, very many ENworld threads discussing it as a problem in actual play.

Best example I recall was actually experienced by a friend of mine: obvious railroad pushing the players towards some epic world threatening quest in the forgotten realms.

PCs were far too low level for the job, from their perspective. So they took the upfront cash, donned a mysterious black cloak, and sat in the corner of an inn until they spotted a group of adventurers upon which they would impart the quest.

Funny reversal of expectation. GM didn't know how to handle it, really, and I think the game sort of collapsed.
That seems to me a pretty big sign of something having gone wrong.

What would a game even look like, where the players are not the drivers of action that happens to the PCs? Where PCs are comic relief in their own game?
A game in which - as [MENTION=66434]ExploderWizard[/MENTION] describes - the players' job is just to run their PCs through the GM's prepared sequence of encounters/events.

A game in which the PCs (and ultimately, therefore, the players) are victims of some deceptive twist whereby, in doing what they think is their heroic thing, they are actually serving the ends of the villains. (A lot of D&D scenario design seems to be rife with this. It exploits the metagame state of affairs that, in this sort of play, the players are expected to bite on the GM's "hook".)

Etc.

I played a fair amount of 2e, but never a module. Should I go pick one up and read it to see this phenomenon for myself? Any suggestions?
I wouldn't recommend it, but the Planecape module Dead Gods is in my view a standout. (And the 3E adventure Expedition to the Demonweb Pits is in the same style.)

I have some Ravenloft modules that are similar.

In From the Ashes, there are adventure cards. "Tamara Belongs to Me", "Honest Bandits" and "Dark Heart of Oak" all frame the PCs into situations in which, basically, the GM already knows the answer and the players' role is to muck about until they learn it. (The players/PCs have no independent reason to engage or care about these mysteries.)

It's not about passive players. It's a whole orientation towards the game, and who is driving events.

And for clarity: I think it's very possible to have a game where the focus is different from Gygaxian dungeon-crawling - eg it involves PC values, social relationships, cosmological melodrama, etc - which is driven by player action declaration. But these dysfunctional modules aren't it.

MostlyDm

Explorer
I agree on STR and combat. An odd artefact of the percentile STR rules for fighters is that non-18 STR has a much lower mechanical impact on combat, saves etc than the comparable ranges of DEX, CON and WIS.

On the ToH example: I think this relates to some of the points about changes in playstyle that [MENTION=66434]ExploderWizard[/MENTION] makes.

In 2nd ed AD&D, much more than at the time ToH was first played, I think the GM is likely to call for a STR check to successfully hammer in spikes; for an INT check to notice that the cleric is not an anti-cleric; etc. Expectations around resolution and automatic success changed (and I think were changing even between 1975 and 1978 when the PHB was published).

In a system where the GM "says yes" if the players articulate a credible plan, and doesn't call for dice rolls to see if the plan succeeds, stats are not really relevant. But (again to echo [MENTION=66434]ExploderWizard[/MENTION], I think) once we get the thief class introduced and other similar changes in approach, that earlier style tends to drop away.

(To clarify the relationship between this comment and the ToH example: the ToH example is meant to illustrate the importance of "making good moves"; but over time "good moves" involve stat checks because of broader changes in approaches to action resolution, making stats more central. The flipside of this is that it's not entirely clear to me what stats are even for in very early D&D, but that's a tangential issue)

Yeah, I'm not so sure the delineation is all that clear. At least my own experiences with the various editions do not bear this out. Then and now, I call for die rolls when I'm not convinced the action in question is certain to succeed or fail.

But even if rolls are required in most or even all attempts by the player to act, the player with superior skill, foresight, and creative problem solving skill has an edge. He may not always succeed, but he will have many more chances to succeed than the player that lacks those attributes.

I have encountered it. I've also ready very, very many ENworld threads discussing it as a problem in actual play.
Sure, I've heard stories.

That seems to me a pretty big sign of something having gone wrong.
Oh, certainly! The GM was apparently a clown. Though... I've never met the guy, just heard it secondhand, so it's also possible my friends were just being hardasses and refusing to engage in a perfectly cool game. No clue, really.

A game in which - as [MENTION=66434]ExploderWizard[/MENTION] describes - the players' job is just to run their PCs through the GM's prepared sequence of encounters/events.
Yeah, that's lame. I've encountered a few DMs with issues along these lines, but always pretty light. They didn't come on hard with the railroad, just had a bit of initial resistance to some kinds of pushback.

Though (despite what you say below) I have also definitely seen many cases of passive players that expect the DM to take this sort of approach, and prefer it. They aren't interested in taking initiative in pushing the story in totally different directions

A game in which the PCs (and ultimately, therefore, the players) are victims of some deceptive twist whereby, in doing what they think is their heroic thing, they are actually serving the ends of the villains. (A lot of D&D scenario design seems to be rife with this. It exploits the metagame state of affairs that, in this sort of play, the players are expected to bite on the GM's "hook".)
Wait wait wait, what's wrong with this? Deception is off limits, to your view? Using players as catspaws is not okay?

Is it also bad for players to deceive and manipulate the NPCs, or does this just go one way? Why?

What does this have to do with forcing the players to follow the GM's preconceived plan? I've had evil NPCs attempt to deceive PCs countless times. Sometimes they fall for it. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes the player sees what I'm about but doesn't think their character would, and they make themselves fall for it.

In every case, a good time is had by all, and a fun and interesting story is created. Subversion of expectations is a grand thing. I like it when a DM successfully deceives me, with a villain that seems like a hero or a hero that seems like a villain. I like it when a PC manages to kill a big villain out of the blue in a sudden anticlimactic alpha strike.

I don't see how any of this relates to a DM forcing his agenda on players.

I wouldn't recommend it, but the Planecape module Dead Gods is in my view a standout. (And the 3E adventure Expedition to the Demonweb Pits is in the same style.)

I have some Ravenloft modules that are similar.

In From the Ashes, there are adventure cards. "Tamara Belongs to Me", "Honest Bandits" and "Dark Heart of Oak" all frame the PCs into situations in which, basically, the GM already knows the answer and the players' role is to muck about until they learn it. (The players/PCs have no independent reason to engage or care about these mysteries.)
Okay, that's helpful. I might take a look at one of 'em.

It's not about passive players. It's a whole orientation towards the game, and who is driving events.
Well, passive players are a factor in how events are driven.

I'm fortunate enough to mostly play with excellent players and GMs. I play with some young new players, too, however, and player passivity is a common issue before they really get comfortable with the game. It's important not to just let them be led by the nose... one good way to really drive this home is to occasionally create a situation where the best outcomes only arise if you shuck off the "obvious" scenario presented by the GM.

And for clarity: I think it's very possible to have a game where the focus is different from Gygaxian dungeon-crawling - eg it involves PC values, social relationships, cosmological melodrama, etc - which is driven by player action declaration. But these dysfunctional modules aren't it.

Of course! No disagreements there. Current major campaign of mine is largely about the PCs' mercenary company and fledgeling nation. Most of my prep revolves around figuring out what their various accumulated friends and enemies are planning.

I actually haven't run a Gygaxian crawl in years, though I am currently prepping to run one as a one-shot this weekend.

pemerton

Legend
Wait wait wait, what's wrong with this? Deception is off limits, to your view? Using players as catspaws is not okay?

Is it also bad for players to deceive and manipulate the NPCs, or does this just go one way? Why?

What does this have to do with forcing the players to follow the GM's preconceived plan?
I might have time for a longer reply later this weekend. But at the moment, I want to (1) point out that I didn't talk about deception in general (though there can be issues there) and (2) point out that the NPCs (which aren't real) can't deceive the players (who are real) nor vice versa.

The PCs can deceive NPCs (and vice versa). The GM can deceive the players (and perhaps vice versa, although some of the most obvious instances of the latter constitute cheating by the players).

If the PCs deceive the NPCs it will be most unusual for the GM to have deceived the players. If the NPCs deceive the PCs in the sort of scenario I described there is a good chance that the GM deceived the players. It is the asymmetry in the metagame that I had in mind in my comment.

MostlyDm

Explorer
Asymmetry is inherent between the roles of DM and player. It's not a bad thing.

I've absolutely been deceived by my players, though.

Remove ads