What Are These D&D 5E Notes In Monte Cook Games' Numenera Shipments?

According to the official Monte Cook Game's Twitter account, recent customer shipments come with a surprise -- handwriten 5e notes on torn Numenera pages. "Some very mysterious notes are being found in a few MCG shipments... We're sure we wouldn't have the faintest idea what those scrawlings might mean. PAY NO ATTENTION."

According to the official Monte Cook Game's Twitter account, recent customer shipments come with a surprise -- handwriten 5e notes on torn Numenera pages. "Some very mysterious notes are being found in a few MCG shipments... We're sure we wouldn't have the faintest idea what those scrawlings might mean. PAY NO ATTENTION."

thumbnail_20190211_231335.jpg

At least one of the mods, Alpha Dean, on the unofficial Cypher discord, the Cypher Unlimited, also received a similar note in his MCG shipment.

For Monte Cooke, who worked on numerous 3e both for Wizards and third party, this would be his first 5e product [although he was part of 5E's design team for a short while]. Other WotC alumnis, Bruce Cordell and Sean Reynolds, also work for MCG and could be likely contributors.

Numenera is MCG's flagship setting for their in-house Cypher system. It's a science fantasy setting where Clarke's Law (suitably advanced science can appear as magic to the in) where strange Middle Ages/Renaissance cultures are swimming in the cast-offs of eight previous high-tech civilizations.

UPDATE: Props to dave2008 for reminding us that Monte also worked on at D&D Next, the beta playtest version of 5e and maybe some of 5e itself before leaving to create MCG and Numenera.

That's a bit strange (pun unintended) since Edge makes your current Tier abilities free and your Trained weapons makes it even easier without spending points from your Might Pool. So your hit points are still your hit points unless you want to do something extraordinary at Tier 1 (Essentially Level 4 for D&D.) And as you go into higher Tiers, those extraordinary things also become free.

Right, but dipping into your Might pool to do special stuff still comes at the cost of your basic "hp" while the other 2 archetypes don't have to worry about it. The fact that Edge reduces the effect and that it's not as bad at higher level is cool, but it still is a basic issue and seems like a fundamental flaw in a system which is theoretically pretty basic.

It may be that the "rhythm" of Numenera is off for a lot of folk. You start off competent, but then do something crazy comes with a direct cost instead of gamble on the dice.

In essence for Numenera and the Cypher system, all of your resource management like healing potions (d8 HD in a bottle), spell slots, and Inspiration/luck points, are all tied into one system.

I really don't mind extraordinary things drawing on a limited resource or being tied into one system but i think the way it was handled felt sort of half-tweaked. If everything really did draw from single pool, that would be little more fair across the 3 archetypes, but what you wind up with is a Might character not really being able to tap into Intellect and Speed in many cases, while the Intellect and Speed immediately benefits from their chosen pool AND the Might pool. You could have resource management and have a single system without making it as lopsided.

Oddly enough, I've taught people new to the hobby Cypher and they groked it much faster and they had loads of fun compared to people who have been in the hobby for years and get tripped up with how they thought a game "should" be compared to how it was. I've had the same sort reaction to Savage Worlds too.

Quick reminder, there's no badwrongway to have fun at the table.

I think people who are experienced and mechanics-conscious are going to be more likely to notice mechanical issues instead of just focusing on character concepts and open roleplay. This is basically the same thing that happens in DnD when new stuff comes out. The mechanics guys will recognize that the beast master ranger is underpowered while the person who loves dogs will just be excited to have a dog, not noticing or caring that the option is subpar. Nether way is badwrongfun, but there's no reason we can't aim to have something balanced for those who care about mechanics and flavorful for those just want to jump into roleplay.

fjw70

Adventurer
I tried Numenera once, but it never really clicked with me. I would live to see a 5e compatible version. The setting looked really good.

If he does release a conversion of Numenera for 5E, I wonder if he'll released it under his Malhavoc Press label (since that was his D&D OGL company) rather than Monte Cook Games? Not that it matters either way, I'm just slightly curious.

I doubt it. I asked him about Ptolus for 5E and he said it was unlikely because Ptolus and anything created as part of Malhavoc Press were complicated due to the rights being co-owned with someone else. Maybe an ex I don’t recall for certain.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Noooooo Monte! Nooooooo! Please dont convert Numenera to D&D! It just wouldnt have the same feel!
I would have said the same about The One Ring, but Adventures in Middle Earth keeps its feel pretty well. The key is that they didn't just roll with the straight D&D 5E rules; they rewrote large parts of them. The classes are almost completely different, for example. A hypothetical Numenera conversion could do the same.

I don't think I've actually played Numenera; what specifically are you worried about losing?

Von Ether

Legend
Right, but dipping into your Might pool to do special stuff still comes at the cost of your basic "hp" while the other 2 archetypes don't have to worry about it. The fact that Edge reduces the effect and that it's not as bad at higher level is cool, but it still is a basic issue and seems like a fundamental flaw in a system which is theoretically pretty basic.

Just to ensure that we are working off the same knowledge base:
* A Cypher PC's hit points are the sum of all attribute pools together, Might+Speed+Intellect. Taken in that order for physical combat as you gather some exhaustion penalties as each pool goes to zero. (You get bruised, then you lose your reflexes and then you can't think straight)
* In psychic combat, it comes off Intellect first, then Speed, then Might. (You can't concentrate, then you lose your reflexes and then you get nose bleeds and then aneurysms.) So there's some :):):) for tat on mental combat as well. But the common "Warriors are nerfed" misconception hasn't been leveled at Adepts.
*To reinforce that disconnect -- In physical combat, you use Speed Defense and take Might Damage, for attacks like poison or disease, your use Might Defense and take Speed Damage. For psychic combat, you use Intellect Defense and take Intellect Damage, yet there's not much of a "Adepts are nerfed" complaint going around. Even on the Cypher Unlimited discord that has 1,600 members on it.
* You only die at zero, which after going three pools, is hard to reach in a Cypher game. Most combats, like 5e, go on for only like 5 or 6 rounds.
*If your Edge makes an ability free, you can use it even if your Might pool is depleted. So at Tier 1, all of your Might abilities (Control the Field, Thrust, Bash) are always your command. Same goes at Tier 2 and etc. I'd hazard to say it was planned that way.
*Even the exhausted warrior can do extraordinary things (double damage with Effort) with a good Recovery (1 action) roll. But you have to choose between that or spreading out your recovery points to refill other pools to avoid your exhaustion penalties. For my taste, that tactical choice is a feature, not a bug.
I really don't mind extraordinary things drawing on a limited resource or being tied into one system but i think the way it was handled felt sort of half-tweaked. If everything really did draw from single pool, that would be little more fair across the 3 archetypes, but what you wind up with is a Might character not really being able to tap into Intellect and Speed in many cases, while the Intellect and Speed immediately benefits from their chosen pool AND the Might pool. You could have resource management and have a single system without making it as lopsided.

It may seem that way on paper, but it's not that way in practice. Through my numerous Numenera demos and four Cypher campaigns (1 all the way to Tier 6, one to Tier 3 two at Tier 4 -- for the uninitiated, Cypher/Numenera has only 6 "Tiers" instead of 20 levels) it has been very different.

Usually people first pick an Explorer for the versatility but then someone breaks down and tries the Fighter and the reaction -- usually -- is Holy spit! what did I just see?!?

One PCs nickname was ONE-PUNCH DWARF!, all caps and exclamation point included. So my four years of Cypher gaming is at odds with this assessment.

I think people who are experienced and mechanics-conscious are going to be more likely to notice mechanical issues instead of just focusing on character concepts and open roleplay. This is basically the same thing that happens in DnD when new stuff comes out. The mechanics guys will recognize that the beast master ranger is underpowered while the person who loves dogs will just be excited to have a dog, not noticing or caring that the option is subpar. Nether way is badwrongfun, but there's no reason we can't aim to have something balanced for those who care about mechanics and flavorful for those just want to jump into roleplay.

I'd be more inclined to agree with this if I haven't been told for over 10 years that Savage Worlds has "bad" math, is too swingy to be good, and is "unplayable" because a very lucky, lucky goblin might be able to kill a Legendary PC. All from people who felt they were "experienced and mechanics-conscious." Yet, I've had fun running Savage Worlds for years and evidently the half a million dollar Kickstarter with over 5k supporters just might agree.

My assessment of newbs picking it up faster is that they don't have to shift from another paradigm where certain assumptions get red flagged for being different. (But yeah, when it comes to D&D the beast master was off.) As analogy, the benchmarks for a good cubist painting are not going match the same benchmarks for a good impressionist painting.

I'm not saying that Cypher is perfect (I'm looking at you Escape Artist from the Explorer) or the holy grail of gaming. But I've seen that "Cypher Warrior is nerfed" is a myth through weekly play, year in and year out.

It ranks right up there with "You have to shoehorn cyphers into every Cypher campaign," to which I respond, "Not every session of Dungeons and Dragons has to have dungeons or dragons in it."

If you want further data points, please join the Cypher Unlimited Discord and ask questions there. Probably the kindest and most passionate gamers you'll find there. Heck, we even say "Good morning" to each other almost every day. It's virtually virtual family in there.

Aldarc

Legend

IME running the game, what you describe is more of a White Room problem rather than one that bears any fruit in actual game play.

I think people who are experienced and mechanics-conscious are going to be more likely to notice mechanical issues instead of just focusing on character concepts and open roleplay.
Or maybe they imagine problems where they are actually negligble or non-existent. That said, arguing from a position of "yes, but we experienced players can see the real problems that the plebs don't" is not a good look. It's a borderline arrogant argument to make.

If he does release a conversion of Numenera for 5E, I wonder if he'll released it under his Malhavoc Press label (since that was his D&D OGL company) rather than Monte Cook Games? Not that it matters either way, I'm just slightly curious.
Most definitely not. The reason why he switched labels was due to Malhavoc Press being co-owned with his ex-wife. This is why we will likely never see anything related to Ptolus or Arcana Evolved/Unearthed in 5e.

I'm not sure what to think about converting to 5e. Kinda disgusted by it since I find the oversaturation of 5e a bit stifling on the hobby. The system would likely require some fairly big changes to the classes to be congruent with the sort of archetypes encountered in the Cypher System. I would sooner pick Savage Worlds, Fate, or Apocalypse World for a genre-suitable conversion than 5e.

Last edited by a moderator:

Other option may be to create a new d20 system, but this time not to be used in medieval fantasy, but a generic system allowing stories in a modern setting. This would be to get ahead of a possible d20 Modern 2.0. With a open licence we could find a new boom of titles. Why a system too close to d20 system? Because many players are too used to the same systems and a new one is too complicated.

Remove ads

Remove ads