D&D 5E Monte Cook's Ptolus Kickstarter Has Launched

This is one of MCG's luxury products - at nearly 700 pages depicting a massive, detailed fantasy city, we're looking at $150 for the book, or $40 for the PDF, either for D&D 5E or Cypher System. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/ptolus-monte-cooks-city-by-the-spire/ "Monte Cook’s legendary campaign setting, Ptolus, is being updated for both Fifth Edition and the Cypher...

This is one of MCG's luxury products - at nearly 700 pages depicting a massive, detailed fantasy city, we're looking at $150 for the book, or $40 for the PDF, either for D&D 5E or Cypher System.

368bdca57043b7894c722d3b476987f4_original.jpg

"Monte Cook’s legendary campaign setting, Ptolus, is being updated for both Fifth Edition and the Cypher System.

At 672 beautiful pages, Ptolus: Monte Cook’s City by the Spire isn’t just huge. Top-notch art and abundant cartography grace virtually every page. Innovative features make the premium-quality book uniquely easy to navigate and use. Physical and digital extras include handouts, player maps, and posters, totaling hundreds of pages. Nearly 1,000 pages in all!

And that’s not all: Most backer levels include a massive library of every single existing Ptolus product. Get the original version of Ptolus plus 26 additional PDF titles—2100 pages of content worth over $250—so you can explore the city and plan for your adventures right away."

You can also download a free 32-page introductory Player's Guide.

So my copy arrived yesterday, it is very similar to the original, a great brick of a book!

8CF2B6DB-170E-46C0-B899-5B662153E8E2.jpeg

It is not quite as thick as Frog God Games’ The Blight - but close!

You can see the cover is more pink, but has the same lovely textured finish. The art through out looks ’higher res’ than the original tho it is hard to see in the pics.

Same useful cloth bookmarks (there are 4 punch out card ones toward the back), the 5E is on the left - a bit wavy due to the sampness collected on it’s way to NZ - I get that in every book I order, it will slowly disappear.

EDBA4F1F-6F60-4182-8D15-D9D92BCCD602.jpeg

The quality feels very similar, paper wise. The font looks bolder and sharper than the original, easier to read by quite a margin. Once again hard to see in the pics - 5E first
D15D1835-DFA6-4840-94EB-BA86F48E45C7.jpeg

D869C1B6-2DDE-4B67-B84A-DA166E917E23.jpeg

All over it appears to be of same base quality (build) but the contents are visually clearer and improved.

It follows a very similar organisation and arrangment to the original, but seems to be less game stats and more info. I’ve not gone over with a fine toothed comb tho.

:)

Remove ads

Remove ads