D&D 5E Character play vs Player play

pemerton

Legend
Level advance should be a side-effect of play, not the main focus of it.
In 4e level advance is a side-effect of play: if you play the game, a side-effect is that levels are gained. I would say that the system that makes level advance the biggest focus of play is by-the-book AD&D or B/X, because you won't earn serious XP unless you make serious efforts to acquire the gold.

Gygax frequently describes this with references to the PCs "seeking fortune" (eg PHB p 7, DMG pp 87, 96). He assumes that the motivation for playing is to earn gold, and thereby XP, and thereby levels. Here is an instance (PHB p 7):

Inexperienced and of but small power at first, by dint of hard fighting an clever deeds, these adventurers advance in ability to become forces to be reckoned with - high priests or priestesses, lords, wizards and arch-magic, maters thieves. . . .

As a role player, you become Falstaff the fighter. . . and you will acquire gold, magic items and great renown as you become Falstaff the Invincible. . .

[O]ne player must serve as the Dungeon Master, the shaper of the fantasy milieu, the "world" in which all action will take place. The other participants become adventurers by creating character to explore the fantastic world and face all of its challenges . . . [E]ach character begins at the bottom of his or her chosen class (or profession). By successfully meeting the challenges posed, they gain experience and move upwards in power . . .​

This is all under the heading "Introduction". It could hardly be clearer - the point of the game is to level your PC, by gaining XP.

Later editions - especially 2nd ed AD&D - told players not to care about levelling, but didn't actually do much to change the mechanical focus of the game away from accruing XP. 4e, by turning XP into a pacing device in the way I have described, actually removes XP as a goal of play. Because XP take care of themselves, being accrued basically at a steady hourly rate, the players are free to focus on playing the game.

Let's say that written into a given adventure is this skill challenge: a cliff the party needs to climb in order to reach the adventure site at the top. They don't have flight or any other magical means of help. They can succeed, and climb up; or they can fail, and fall. Or they can avoid it completely by finding another way around and coming at the adventure from another direction! This is what should earn the same xp as beating the cliff.

<snip>

it goes against characters being rewarded for what they actually do in the game.
In 4e, as I tried to explain, XP are not a reward. They are a pacing device, for managing the gradual transition of play through the levels and tiers of play. The fact that 4e's XP procedures go against characters being rewarded is the whole point of those procedures!

The same logic applies to the cliff example. If the "other direction" whereby the players circumvent the cliff is itself an interesting episode of play (eg a skill challenge, or some serious exploration that actually progresses the play of the game) then it earns XP according to the rules. If it is a 5-minute event at the table (eg as per my teleport example, or maybe the PCs conjure Phantom Steeds and circumvent the geography of the situation) then it doesn't earn XP, because there was no significant play of the game involved. (Unless getting to the top of the cliff was a quest; then quest XP would be earned.)

To reiterate, the point of awarding XP for the skill challenge is not because the players (or their characters) are rewarded for "begint the cliff". It's because resolving the skill challenge is about an hour of engaged play, and XP are accrued at a particular hourly rate, with the goal of gradually propelling the game through the tiers of play, and thereby through what I call "the story of D&D" - starting with goblins, finishing with demon princes.

pemerton

Legend
The thing is, you have no idea what the DM has planned. For all you know the city is going to explode during day 1.
As with [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION], so with me - what you assert here is not true when I GM a game, and I would not want to play in a game in which it was true.

I did once play in a game in which the GM decided to send the PCs forward in time 100 years, as best I can tell because it would sever all the connections that we as players had built up between our PCs and the gameworld, thereby leaving us dependant on the GM to feed us plot and fictional details. I already had time pressures that were making it hard to stick in this game, and when the GM did this it pretty much settled the matter for me - the game wasn't worth sticking around in after that point. (I believe that after I left the game didn't last much longer with the remaining players.)

The problem is that "players" aren't one entity with one opinion. At any one table you're likely to have 4-6 players with 4-6 different likes and dislikes

<snip>

I enjoy acting my character and a bit of intrigue and social challenges, I enjoy killing things, I enjoy exploring dungeons, I enjoy puzzles. If any of these things come up in game, I'll just go with it.
I don't believe I have ever met (in the flesh) or played with someone who would enjoy the food critic & soup scenario that you described at the top of the thread.

I also don't belive I've ever met (in the flesh) or played with someone who would be upset because the GM said "yes" to boxes in an otherwise non-descript alley. Including the guy with the climbing PC, becaus that PC is sitll going to be the first choice to climb up the pile of stacked boxes.

None of my knowledge or contacts helped me navigate through the traps or enemies in the ancient temple we went to.

<snip>

That might help...if the game was about the thieves guild and its activities. Though that is a particular kind of game with a lot of political intrigue. It would be fun to play now and then but certainly not something that can be expected.

<snip>

I'm not saying that starting a gang war on the streets of the city or creating social change might not be fun. But it doesn't really qualify as "adventuring".
I think these remarks all suggest a fairly narrow conception of what fanasy RPGing can involve. I don't really feel they describe my games.

For instance, I've had PCs pursue (and gain) magistracies; defend racial inclusiveness in their wizard's guilds; oppose the spread of slavery; become lords of cities, thereby redeeming a family's lost honour; establish temples; uphold their conceptions of what makes for a good world against cosmological forces that have different ideals; etc.

I don't just assume that my players will turn up to the game with unconnected, value-neutral "adventurers" who are tools of exploration and war to be pointed at whatever evildoer I as GM, in the guise of Elminster or whomever, tells them to take down. I exepct my players to bring PCs with their own motivations, goals, backstories, and hopes for the world. My job is then to provide them with situations and adentures that they can engage and thereby express and pursue those various histories and values that are central to their PCs.

As I've already posted on this thread, the RPG book that really led me to this sort of approach was the original (1986) Oriental Adventures.

If infiltrating the guild in bearded disguise is going to create an hour long roleplaying session between one PC and a bunch of NPCs as he attempts to act his way into the guild and discover their plans while the other players sit around looking bored, then I'm going to say no or find some reason the infiltration fails.
I'm going to find a better way to run the infiltration.

Disguise abilities, disguise self, polymorph etc have been part of the game since very early days (eg all are present in the AD&D PHB). It's not as if infiltration is some aberrant strategy within the framework of the game.

If an individual GM says "I don't like GMing infiltration scenarios, so don't build an illusionist or ninja at my table", that's one thing. But to suggest that the difficulty of running such things is a general reason not to allow them is just dismissing a pretty fundamental suite of PC build options that have been there nearly since day 1.

what you've described so far is extremely far on one side of the spectrum. Far more on the side of improv theatre than traditional RPGs.
no player who ever sat at my table ever saw anything like an improve theatre... and the 2 players I had that wanted that were disappointed. So no... I may be a bit off center but I'm still in the RPG spectrum and my games are VERY TRASITIONAL... maybe you need to revaluate your games if you think mine are deviant.

<snip>

instead of talking about our games you decided that mine is 'Far more on the side of improv theatre than traditional RPGs' instead of saying "hey here is what we do differently"
I am with GMforPowergamers on this one. These references to "improv theatre", for me, carry the same dismissive tone as typical references to "storygames".

The post to which GMfPG replied with reference to a "spectrum" asserted that:

In RPGs, the generally accepted paradigm is that the DM gets to control scene framing, the actions of the NPCs and the results of your actions. You roleplay your character reacting to these elements. Some games agree to play the games in a much more "improv" style where the DM is more of a story moderator than a DM. That's fine, but it is definitely not the common style.​

I don't accept this paradigm. The actions of NPCs are sometimes controlled by the GM, but not always - eg if the players use social skills or enchantment magic. The results of the player's action declarations are adjudicated by the GM but are notsolely under his/her control - the action resoution mechanics play a big roll in dictating those outcomes. And players have a role far beyond "roleplaying their characters reacting to these elements". By playing their PCs, they play the major role in shaping the development of the shared fiction.

From my point of view, the games that Majoru Oakheart describes seems like railroads in which the players have no job to do but roll the dice in combat, and add a bit of colour by narrating their PCs response to events over which neither PC nor player has any real control - the monologues on pipe tobacco discussed someway upthread.

If that was all that RPGing involved, I would have never got into the hobby, let alone stuck with it for over 30 years.

If my plan is that the Guild's plot cannot be discovered because it would ruin the surprise ending to the game, I'll likely throw road blocks in their way if they attempt a plan that would discover the plot early.
I have much the same resonse to this idea that the guild's plot is some endgame thing that can't be revealed early. If the players want to infiltrate the guild, then from my point of view that becomes the focus of play. (Or, if I don't want to run an inflitration scenario beecause I think it is hard, I would say so upfront - I have not done this for infiltration, but have done this for mass-combat, telling the player in question I am not capable of or interesting in running a wargame, so he won't get the units of soldiers he wants, and will have to find some other way of pursuing his PC's goals.)

Not to mention, there are so many ways to run an infiltration scenario, or any other sort of scenario for that matter, in which the mixture of backstory revealed and backstory concealed keeps the players on their toes, going forward but never 100% sure what lies ahead. In the guild case, it can be as simple as the PCs coming into the guild-leaders chambers only to find him or her just killed with a knife in the back, and the window open with curtains fluttering. The PCs can now search the room, or chase the assassin, or split the party and try and do both. (And if the GM doesn't want them to split the party there are fairly simple techniques to accomplish that too, using both ingame and metagame considerations.)

In the case of that particular video (slavelords?) there are some limitations to the "gameworld". The D&D team are specifically demoing the slavelords published adventure. In the particular case the DM is trying to limit the focus of the players to the specific quest they are being given. Possibly because of limited time, similar to playing in an adventure in any of the "Living Campaigns."

The players, out of necessity due to scenario limitations, take the quest and hooks simply because if they don't there would be no adventure. It is an artificiality that unfortunately there is no way of getting around with that kind of scenario restrictions. It is assumed that the PCs already have buy-in into the particular scenario simply by showing up.

In a regular campaign that type of scenario would drive me crazy
This is how I approach tournament games (not that I've attended a tournament for many years now!) As a player, you buy into the pre-authored situation as part of the price of admission. The flipside is that the scenario should be pretty good - better than what you might churn out running a session with no prep after a hard week at the office! And of course you get to try out new systems and experience a wider range of GMs.

But the idea that all of RPG play should be like convention play - pre-packaged scenarios for pre-packaged PCs with everything driven by the GM - isn't a view I subscribe to. Adding to that, I've played in convention games where the players have had the freedom to come up with their own responses to the key problem posed by the scenario - I'm thinking of a Cthulhu freefrom where we had to decide which PC would receive the angelic power that would let us escape from the clutches of a demon; and of a Rolemaster game where the main opponent was a demon who was my PCs' father, and also where my PCs and one of the other PCs had had a (now ended affair), that had left her (unknwon to my PC) pregnant, and in which a time-dilation room brought on that character's labour.

In both these scenarios members of my team won best roleplayer prizes for particular characters, and I'm pretty confident that part of what drove that was that we went beyond merely emoting and adding colour, but also took control of the scenario (within the limited scope that was fesasible) and made something out of the pre-packaged material that was our own.

I really think that the most fun RPGing, both as a player and as GM, is active rather than reactive and passive.

pemerton

Legend
examples of (proto-)tailoring in what you're isolating (and seemingly trying to dismiss) as that early period.

<snip>

on the one hand we're dismissing the standard gameplay of the first five to seven years from which only one or two exceptions of that standard are cited as so early it is a blip in the timeline of RPGing but in the same post we're also reaching forward over 25 years later to cite rules where the early proto-tailoring is finally fleshed out.

<snip>

the leap you are making from that seems to simultaneously need to dismiss the first five to seven years of RPG development as insignificant
I don't understand what any of this is talking about - especically your repeated use of the word "dismiss".
[MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] and I asserted that early in the history of RPGing, including D&D play, you can find various forms of player influence on the game that occur other than through action declarations that give effect to the ingame capabilities of the PC.

We have both pointed to AD&D rules text that illustrates this in various ways:

* the paladin's quest for a warhorse, in which the player use of a PC ability, which obliges the GM to prepare a mini-scenario that might otherwise not have been part of the gameworld;

* the design of dungeons for the PCs to explore, including ("if the DM is kind") creating dungeons in remote wilderness areas for PCs who are out-of-sync with the "main" timeline to explore;

* advice by Gygax to ignore the default (random) content generation procedures in order to facilitiate exciting and interesting episodes of gameplay.

Pointing to these bits of text isn't "dismissing" anything. It's indicating that player infuence on the content of the gameworld isn't an idea that sprang forth, unheralded, in the past ten-to-fifteen years. AD&D clearly recognised that one thing a GM might want to have regard to, in designing and placing world elements and making them salient to the players via their PCs, was player engagement and interest.

If you and other players you know didn't take that sort of advice, or never encountered problems of reconciling GM-driven world-building with player engagement, all that shows that I can see is that the ideas and advice offered by Gygax, and taken further by others, weren't helpful to you. That wouldn't be the first time (in RPGing or in life more generally) that advice wasn't universally useful.

You only need to label something as such if it isn't the default by design

<snip>

The labeling of sandbox play doesn't come until there are other forms of play beginning to become popular.
The mass uptake of D&D began in the late 70s and early 80s. Most of those players learned from one of the Basic sets - I think Moldvay was the most popular - or the AD&D rulebooks.

Neither Moldvay Basic nor Gygax's DMG explains world-exploration sandbox play. They explain dungeon design, and - as per the passages I have quoted - imply that dungeon design, and the development of a campaign world around it, is driven by the needs of the campaign participants.

The closest thing I can find, in Gygax, to advice on designing a wilderness, is on p 47 of his DMG:

It is necessary to have a reasonably well-detailed, large scale map for conducting adventures outdoors. Naturally, the initial adventuring in the campaign will be those in the small community and nearby underground maze. For whatever reason - player desire, quest or geas, or because of your own direction - adventuring will sooner or later move to the outdoors.​

That is neither a description of, nor advocacy for, world-exporation sandboxing. It explicity flags as a possible reason for wilderness adventuring the GM's direction - much as the discussion of low-level dungeon adventuring assumes that the GM tells the players what dungeon to explore.

Marsh/Cook Expert, with it's example of the Grand Duchy of Karameikos, gives a better introduction to sandboxing than either of the other two sources I've mentioned. I don't know how popular that boxed set was compared to Moldvay or the AD&D books.

It may be true that you and everyone you knew who was playing in 1979 was playing world-exploration sandboxes. But I doubt that the hundreds of thousands of players who learned the game from Moldvay Basic and Gygax's DMG all, or even mostly, gravitated to the same playstyle in spite of the complete lack of advice on what it looks like, and how to do it. It seems to me more likely that they followed the advice provided by Moldvay and Gygax, and designed those parts of the world that were needed for the campaign - where need is determined both by player desire and GM direction.

You're arguing something in this one quoted passage that no one else is arguing against but (because citations that support your arguments from this period are thin or overstated) and act as if the rules thence forth fully support modern storytelling conceits rather than being introduced over time as exceptions to standard gameplay (which everyone who has discussed it in this thread seems to agree come from how some GMs and players, including the designers who still played the game, might have played at their own game tables).
I understand that this paragraph is criticising me for something, but I don't understand the nature of the criticism.

No one (including me) has asserted that the AD&D rules "fully support modern storytelling conceits" - whatever exactly those are meant to be. What I am asserting in this particular sub-discussion is that parts of the AD&D rules, which I have quoted, advise the GM to have regard to the overall real-world dynamics of play - pacing, interest, excitement, etc - in managing content introduction. You see this on p 9 with regard to wandering monsters (one important form of content introduction in AD&D). You see this on p 110 with regard to secret door discovery (another important form of content introduction in AD&D, and indeed in any dungeon-exploration game). You see this on pp 86, 87 and 97 with regard to starting and developing a campaign, including the use of the concept "needs of the campaign participants". You see this on p 38 with respect to giving players whose PCs are out of sync with others in the time line dungeons to explore, even if the dice, or the GM's intitial plan for the campaign world, didn't envisage a dungeon there.

I am also asserting that the reason you see this advice is because there are tensions in RPG play - very well-known and much-discussed tensions - between imperatives of "world simulation" and letting the players only influence the content of the campaign via the ingame capabilities of their PCs, and imperatives of pleasurable game play. Many developments in RPG design over the 40 years the hobby has existed can be seen as responses, of various sorts, to these tensions.

Gygax himself, on p 38 of his DMG, illustrates a simple example: player A has his/her PC go off on a quest to speak to an oracle, which takes many ingame days, and hence ends up out-of-whack with the ingame timeline of the other PCs. What is the GM meant to do?

I think most contemporary RPGers would try and find a way to close the ingame time-gap. Some games even have deliberate design features to facilitate this, such as training rules which allow the players of the other PCs to quicly pass ingame time without getting no benefit at all for their PCs.

Gygax, who is working in a framework in which the GM is running sessions for multiple groups of players with, it seems, multiple sessions per week, makes a different suggestion: stick a new dungeon into the wilderness near the orcale for player A's PC to explore, so that player A can also keep playing in the campaign, although not in the same sessions as players B, C, D, E and F.

Another possible solution would be for player A to build a new PC to join the other players at the earlier point in the timeline (Gygax hints at this sort of possibility on p 7 of his PHB). I think the reason for Gygax describing his bonus dungeon option as a kinder one is that it lets player A continue to play PC A, incuding getting the benefits of PC A having travelled to the oracle and received supernatural lore.

Another option, canvassed by Gygax, is that the GM tells the players in the campaign "that there is a hiatus, which will necessitate only certain members of their number playing together, as their respective characters cannot locate the others of the separated groups." I think it's pretty obvious that for many play groups, perhaps most, this is hopelessly unsatisfactory, no matter how much it presereves the integrity of the GM-authored campaign world and the ingame timeline. Presmably in most groups the players want to actually turn up and play, not be told that they're barred from playing due to reasons of ingame timelines until the other players have played enough sessions to bring their PCs up to the same point of ingame time!

Here's where you go even further off the tracks and show your belief that your idea of fun is everyone's idea of fun, as you are identifying what you see as problematic then casting it as universally problematic.
On this I'm happy to nail my colours to the mast: I think the numer of players who think it is fun to be told "Don't botther turning up to this week's session, as your PC is too far ahead in the ingame timeline to participate in this session's events" is infintessimally small as a proportion of overall RPG players.

This is why Gygax canvasses other options. This is why games from early ones like Runequest, through to modern ones like Burning Wheel, have training rules, to allow players of other PCs to "catch up" within the game while still getting a PC-advancement benefit. It is also why many groups (including the OP in this thread, [MENTION=5143]Majoru Oakheart[/MENTION]) have very strict rules about party-play, about not splitting the party, about limiting sidequests, about sticking to the GM's adventure path, etc. Those metagame rules (or conventions, if you don't like the terminology of rules being applied to them) ensure that there will be no issues of timeline disparities of the sort that Gygax is talking about.

My contention is that in sandbox games PCs have a great variety of things to do and make their own determination as to what is challenging to them and what they might think wise to put off until they become more experienced adventurers.
This is true, but has bascially no bearing on anything I've posted. What you say here says nothing about the role and responsibilities of a GM in a sandbox campaign. What I am talking about, including with reference to Gygax's DMG (oten regarded as his magnum opus) is exactly those things - what a GM is expected to do, and to what extent the GM is expected to have regard to player hopes and expectations in doing those things.

In the particular passage I quoted, the issue arose because of timeline issues - player A is stranded in an "isolated" part of the timeline, and the GM has to decide whether or not to give that player something to do by introducing a hitherto unintended dungeon into the time and place of player A's PC.

Another example could come up if a group of PCs take their PCs into the desert looking for pyramids to loot, and instead - due to getting lost, perhaps, or due to wandering monsters - lose their camels and hence lose their ability to carry their food and water supplies. Should the GM just declare that the PCs die of thirst? Or is the GM permitted, even expected, to introduce some opportunity for the PCs to survive and for the players thereby to have a fun game - eg as the PCs are digging for water, they come across some buried stones that just happen to be the entrance to a hitherto unexplored underground tomb?

These are real issues of GMing technique around content-introduction. GMs need advice and examples. This is why Gygax gave some advice. (Though his advice isn't the be-all and end-all. But equally it's far from useless either.)

Because of your own predilections, you take the idea of challenging the players as an ideal, as discreet and defined challenges for which there are specific solutions
I have no idea why you say this. Perhaps you have me confused with the OP? Upthread I have described specific solution pay as "sudoku solving". I think it has its time and place, but personally I don't think an RPG session is typically that time or place.

In my view it's the GM's job to come up with interesting and engaging challenges; it is the job of the players to work out solutions for resolving the challenges that confront their PCs, not the GM's job.

But the challenges the GM poses should have feasible solutions within the general parameters of the game. If a dungeon is designed for 1st level PCs - something that both Gygax and Moldvay discuss - then I think it would be pretty pointless to put in significant features of the dungeon that can't be accessed or interacted with except via teleportation magic. Whereas putting interesting things on high ledges is a different matter - 1st level PCs can be expcted to climb, use ropes and grapples, etc to get to high places.

To shift back over to the player authorship discussion, how effective is a passage slanting downward into unknown depths if a player can simply put crates at the end and climb back up and out through the trapdoor that appeared at the player's authorial direction?
I have no idea what this hypothetical example is meant to relate to.

Upthread when the discussion about boxes in alleys first occurred I contrasted the artificially austere environment of a dungeon with the realities of an urban environment. If the GM has described an empty dungeon room, how are crates going to appear unless the PCs have the ability to conjure them (eg via a Minor Creation spell, a Robe of Useful Items, or some equivalent capability in a different fantasy RPG)?

The point about boxes in an alley is that, in an urban-based game, it is impossible to suppose that nothing exists except what the GM describes. Even allowing for the reduced economic capacity of faux-mediaeval compared to industrial societies, an urban environment in D&D will have far more stuff around than a GM can describe. If the GM describes an empty alley, that obviously means "empty of people". But does it mean "empty of rats"? Seems unlikely, unless the exterminators have just payed a visit or the wererats have just called them all away - rats are ubiquitous in urban environments. Does that mean "empty of filth and refuse"? That's fairly unlikely in a modern city with proper sewage and sanitation, and seems less likey for our faux-mediaeval alley. Does that mean "empty of junk"? In most cases the GM won't have turned his or her mind to what sort of junk might be lying around in an alley.

Part of the metagame utiity of a dungeon environment is that it is so austere, and hence makes it feasible for the GM to present a somewhat total picture of the environment via simple narration to the players. For a city this is impossible, unless the city is unlike all the actual cities known to humanity, which have more stuff and people in them than a GM could hope to describe. That's the context in which it was suggested that a GM saying yes to a player query about boxes would be a GMing approach worth considering.

As to whether a trapdoor can appear at a player's authorial direction - I agree with other posters (eg [MENTION=69074]Cyberen[/MENTION]) that the difference between fate points and the use of a Robe of Useful Items or Nolzur's Marvellous Pigments to create a trapdoor is a matter of taste and flavour, but not any sort of fundamental difference of gameplay. If the players have so many fate points between them, and so they have to regulate their use to declare that they discover trap doors in the ceilings of rooms they are stuck in; or, if the players have so many pots of pigments or so many passwall scrolls, and hence have to regulate their use of them to create holes or trap doors in the ceilings of rooms they are stuck in; either way the players have the ability to escape from N rooms, but not from N+1, and managing those resources becomes part of the game.

Can the player justify that since he just killed ten healthy human guards they must have had crates of supplies and also a trapdoor through which to bring them into their guardroom? Does this early period of D&D allow for such authorship?
The player is certainly entitled to ask the GM is s/he sees any indication of what the guards were eating. If there are healthy guards in the dungeon, but no crates or bags or other containers holding food, no cisterns, etc, then the players might wonder what is going on. And if the GM hadn't turned his/her mind to the matter until a player asked the question, what should the GM do? Follow the player's lead, or insist that there is no food or water despite the evident well-being of the guards?

At what point in the development of D&D (leaving aside other RPGs and storytelling games for the time being) does such a scenario become the norm for D&D rather than unusual for gameplay?
The sort of player authorship you are describing - of unconstrained player introduction of ingame elements - has never been the norm in any version of D&D, except in narrowly confined contexts (eg the paladin's warhorse, or the Streetwise ability in 4e that allows knocking over barrels, haybales etc to create difficult terrain). Given the degree of unconstrainedness that you are insisting upon, I'm not sure that it's an element in many remotely mainstream RPGs.

But I also don't see what bearing it's presence or absence has on the question of the role that player's expressions of hope or expectation should have on the GM's authorship decisions.

You need to understand that "wandering" monsters are one conceit that creatures do indeed make forays out of their rooms.
The only indication in Gygax's DMG that this is so is the sample wandering monster table for the sample dungeon, on p 94 - though it also has entries for monsters (namely, giant rats) that are not tagged to an area. Furthermore, there is no suggestion that killing wanderers will deplete the numbers in the rooms when those rooms are subsequently entered by the PCs.

The general discussion of wandering monsters, both in Gygax and in Moldvay, does not imply that wandering monsters come from particular dungeon rooms. For instance, there is no table that tells you the % chance that a GM should ignore his/her room key because the monsters are out wandering, and all the advice in Gygax's PHB about planning expeditions, and about how to interact with placed monsters, assumes that the distinction between placed and wandering monsters is a relatively clear-cut one.

In the fiction, we can imagine that the monsters wander from time-to-time but just so happen always to be home when the PCs turn up; or we can even imagine that some unguarded treasure is in fact in the lair of a wandering monster (which will be away from home whenever the PCs turn up). But the fact that this possible fiction is all read of real-world, play-based distinctions between rooms with occupants and rooms without, and treasures that are guarded and treasures that are not, to my mind just reinforces the unhelpfulness of trying to analyse the realities of play from the ingame perspective.

The only discussion, in Gygax's DMG, of a monster being absent from its lair, is in the section on time (p 37), and it is somewhat curious:

[The campaign has been running for] 50 days . . . At this point in time two new players [E and F] join the game . . . So on Day 51 . . . E and F enter the dungeon . . . rest a couple of game days and return for another try on Day 54 - where they stumble upon the worst monster on the first level, surprise it, and manage to slay it and come back with a handsome treasure. You pack it in for the night. . . . Four actual days later (and it is best to use 1 actual day = 1 game day when no play is happening), on Day 55, player characters B, C, and D enter the dungeon and find that the area they selected has already been cleaned out by player characters E and F. Had they come the day after the previous game session, game Day 52, and done the same thing, they would have found the monster and possibly gotten the goodies! . . .

Despite time differences, the activities of the newcomers to the campaign should be alowed to stand, as Destiny has decreed that the monster in question could not fall to the characters B, C, and D. Therefore, the creatur was obviously elsewhere (not dead) when they visited the lair on Day 52, but it had returned on Day 56 [I think this is a typo for 55].​

Gygax here suggest retconning in the monster's absence from its lair as a way of explaining why PCs B, C and D, who in the fiction are acting earlier in time than E and F, can't kill and loot the monster that E and F killed at a time later in the fiction but earlier in the real world.

But what he doesn't explain is why the monster, in going wanderig on Day 52, also took all its treasure with it!

Gygax says, immediately folowing the passage I've quoted, "Being aware of time differences between groups of player characters will enable you to prevent the BIG problesm" but when I first read this section of the DMG 30-odd years ago I remember finding it almost impenetrable. Even in 1979 my guess would be that in most campaigns all the PCs were on a common clock, precisely to avoid the need for headache-inducing retcons of the sort that Gygax describes.

But in any event, this reinforces to me that wandering/placed is a fairly fundamental metagame status. Nothing suggests that, in the ordinary course and absent compelling reasons such as the time-management ones that Gygax describes, a GM should declare a room empty despite what is written on his/her key because the placed monster is in fact out having a wander.

on page five of the (O)D&D's third booklet in the sample underworld the third entry states, "This area simply illustrates the use of slanting passages to help prevent players from accurately mapping a level." There's no guarantee that players and their PCs will know they are out of their depth.
Most of the GM advice I am familiar with for running that sort of dungeon - both from Gygax, and even moreso from Lewis Pulsipher writing in early White Dwarf - emphasises the importance of players having the chance to acquire information: by making checks (if they're dwarves or gnomes); by using divination spells and items; etc. If there is no way for the players to learn that they're on a deeper level, the element of skill has been eleminated and the game is tending towards lottery. The general tenor of Gygax's advice in his DMG and PHB is againt this.

if the slope is gentle even dwarves won't recognize it.
If the slope is a drop of (say) 1 inch every yard (around 1.6 degrees), that is likely to be observable upon serious visual inspection by anyone (not just a dwarf) and will almost certainly be detectable with marbles or poured fluids. Assuming that the separation between dungeon levels is around 30', that is 360 yards of sloping passage to drop one dungeon level.

Even if the players don't notice the slope, the sheer distance travelled along a single corridor should provide some sort of clue that something funny is up.

Room "E" is a transporter, two ways, to just about anywhere the referee likes, including the center of the earth or the moon. The passage south containing "F"is a one-way transporter, and the poor dupes will never realize it unless a very large party (over 50' in length) is entering it. (This is sure-fire fits for map makers among participants.)"
My understanding of teleporters is that good mapping is meant to be the key to identifying that the group has been teleported.

I also think that designing a dungeon for 1st level characters in which, of two otherwise indistinguishable doors, one teleported the characters to the 10th level, would be poor design. It makes the play of the game essentially arbitrary.

I think the point here is that the players can often have no idea they are even out of their depth, and far deeper in a dungeon than they know.
This is true, but I'm not sure what you think follows from it. The point is that, if they played well, using their various resources (of race, class, magic, equipment, mapping etc) then they could know, or learn - and this is part of the skill involved in playing the game.

If a situation is set up so that they cannot know - for instance a teleport room that is immune to detect magic, in a dungeon where "magnetic forces" make it impossible for a gnome to determine depth underground - then I think the dungeon design has departed from the norms that Gygax advocates in his AD&D books. It has become, in effect, a lottery - anyone who is unlucky enough to enter the teleport room can't avoid or correct for that fate.

(The green devil in ToH is not arbitrary in this particular fashion - eg you can stick a pole into it and notice that it is a disintegrator/teleporter.)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
We have both pointed to AD&D rules text that illustrates this in various ways (. . .)

Pointing to these bits of text isn't "dismissing" anything.

It's been pointed out how these are errors in interpretation, how the player "calls" for a warhorse through the PC (thus not player authorship), how the idea of sandboxes is for there to be sites all over that any PCs might find, that fudging a dice roll is an exception to the standard, etc. That you also keep pointing toward stuff written half a decade after the rules were originally written does seem dismissive of the first 12% or the whole of D&D's run thus far.

It's indicating that player infuence on the content of the gameworld

You also keep ignoring the difference between the OP and the side discussion I keep pointing out which is the difference between player knowledge and player authorship, as well as conflating a GM setting up a game world with the idea of tailoring encounters for player character level.

The closest thing I can find, in Gygax, to advice on designing a wilderness, is on p 47 of his DMG:

It is necessary to have a reasonably well-detailed, large scale map for conducting adventures outdoors. Naturally, the initial adventuring in the campaign will be those in the small community and nearby underground maze. For whatever reason - player desire, quest or geas, or because of your own direction - adventuring will sooner or later move to the outdoors.​

And as pointed out before, advice on how to get started to keep ahead of the players while fleshing out a sandbox campaign setting is not indicative of tailoring to players. The assumptions you make beyond that misinterpretation build on that faulty premise. Again, adding to the a setting to ensure there is plenty for players to do should not be conflated with tailoring encounters to PC level.

On this I'm happy to nail my colours to the mast: I think the numer of players who think it is fun to be told "Don't botther turning up to this week's session, as your PC is too far ahead in the ingame timeline to participate in this session's events" is infintessimally small as a proportion of overall RPG players.

And that's the strawman you spend hundreds of post-words building up to use as a refutation of something you keep saying you don't understand despite me explaining and you ignoring the explanations.

In my view it's the GM's job to come up with interesting and engaging challenges; it is the job of the players to work out solutions for resolving the challenges that confront their PCs, not the GM's job.

Interesting assertion but based on your other posts you implement it differently from standard early sandbox gameplay. To understand, just look at my previous post defining how to build challenges in a sandbox and how players, through their PCs, determine which ones to tackle based on in-game clues.

The point about boxes in an alley is that, in an urban-based game, it is impossible to suppose that nothing exists except what the GM describes.

No, that's not the point. The point is, if the player wants to know if there are crates, he asks the GM if his PC sees any crates. The player interacts with the environment through roleplay in a roleplaying game, by suggesting that his PC is looking around and the GM describes some of what he sees in whatever level of detail seems suitable. If the PC is looking for something specific, like crates or something to climb up, he asks if his PC sees any crates.

The general discussion of wandering monsters, both in Gygax and in Moldvay, does not imply that wandering monsters come from particular dungeon rooms.

The conceit is clear by using the expression "wandering" monsters. It's an abstraction for simplification of setting design. I know you understand this by the hoop-jumping you are doing to dismiss the intent.

Gygax here suggest retconning in the monster's absence from its lair as a way of explaining why PCs B, C and D, who in the fiction are acting earlier in time than E and F, can't kill and loot the monster that E and F killed at a time later in the fiction but earlier in the real world.

But what he doesn't explain is why the monster, in going wanderig on Day 52, also took all its treasure with it!

He is giving some advice that is very specific in hopes that the level of detail can give some ideas on how to create some verisimilitude in-game when out of game hindrances to it might be troublesome.

Most of the GM advice I am familiar with for running that sort of dungeon - both from Gygax, and even moreso from Lewis Pulsipher writing in early White Dwarf - emphasises the importance of players having the chance to acquire information: by making checks (if they're dwarves or gnomes); by using divination spells and items; etc.

Again, this is done through the character, and that is part of roleplaying. A dwarf might have a sense and cleric might have a spell, etc. If the PC isn't in possession of a way to figure it out with a check or a spell, the PCs can explore until they put it together. It's not a lottery, it's the nature of the game that players explore a setting through their PCs, they play a role as part of the game. I'm guessing you are already thinking of a particular example of PCs roaming around for three real-world months with frustrated players that you could post as a way to show this to somehow be un-fun in your eyes. Please don't. Our particular examples or opinions on what might or might not be fun don't enter into an objective examination of that early style of play. For instance, quotes like the following aren't objectively useful.

I also think that designing a dungeon for 1st level characters in which, of two otherwise indistinguishable doors, one teleported the characters to the 10th level, would be poor design. It makes the play of the game essentially arbitrary.

Let's not get into opinions about what we consider fun versus what we don't as a way to label design as good or bad. It's akin to the previous exchange from the other day when you point out what you term "real problems" which not everyone considers problems at all. Again, it's not productive to an objective examination of the development of (trad) RPGs, RPGs with storytelling elements, and full-fledged storytelling games.

I haven't seen the video, and neither you nor @D'karr is encouraging me to change this state of affairs!

What happened?

FIrst, so everyone is assured to be on the same page (which I believe is already the case, but let us just cross our t's and dot our lowercase j's), the definition:

"Plot Dump": Expository dialogue (or monologue) which occurs when background information is either (a) intentionally not interwoven within the narrative or (b) the narrative is so clumsily rendered so as to leave the participants bewildered regarding the dramatic arc.

(a) above would apply to what @D'karr is referring to. The player buy-in for conventions or tournament games is already demonstrated simply by "showing up". Due to time constraints (and other), its (presumably - I've never been involved, but it seems intuitive) understood that some manner of information or outright plot dump is going to take place. Relevant NPC001 gives quest via exposition of relevant plot/conflict elements. In the following hour, the players fetch/kill/rescue etc by way of their PCs. Good times had by all (because by "showing up" you've indicated this is what you're looking for - again, presumably).

However, two things:

1) Access to the plot dump is the key here. One of the most important facets of good GMing is knowing precisely what kind of information/clues 100 % cannot be missed by the players through the, sometimes more opaque than others, fog of TTRPG interchange. Making sure players attain it in a non-clumsy way is deft GMing. Assuming a non-one-off game, doing it via information/plot dump is either lazy or a last resort Hail Mary/band-aid/whitewash after initial efforts have failed. Regardless, it should be automatically accessible by the players.

2) Illusionist GMing is, as we know, giving the false pretense that player action declaration and corresponding mechanical resolution are the actual drivers to the trajectory of a singular conflict or of a story (in the macro).

This is where the problem comes in. One of two things occurred in that introductory 5e tutorial (by the lead designer as GM no less). Either (i) he didn't understand/failed to execute upon (1) above (one of the most fundamental precepts of GMing) or (ii), much more likely (almost guaranteed), he completely BSed things and gave them "access to the plot dump" (when the players didn't understand what the hell was going on - again relevant insiders/designers themselves who are supposed to know the system they are engineering...) by way of some check (I think it may have been Diplomacy with some NPC though it may have been a random Knowledge check) vs some arbitrary, irrelevant DC (because they were going to pass no matter what - pretty sure they rolled poorly to average). Expository dia/monologue ensues. Hence, Illusionism GMing and "access to the plot dump."

Though I agree that in a regular campaign the particular technique would be rather appaling and incredibly boring, if I recall correctly the particular video, I'm willing to give it a pass in that particular instance for one main reason. In the case of that particular video (slavelords?) there are some limitations to the "gameworld". The D&D team are specifically demoing the slavelords published adventure. In the particular case the DM is trying to limit the focus of the players to the specific quest they are being given. Possibly because of limited time, similar to playing in an adventure in any of the "Living Campaigns."

The players, out of necessity due to scenario limitations, take the quest and hooks simply because if they don't there would be no adventure. It is an artificiality that unfortunately there is no way of getting around with that kind of scenario restrictions. It is assumed that the PCs already have buy-in into the particular scenario simply by showing up.

In a regular campaign that type of scenario would drive me crazy, but in this case I can forgive the horrendousness of the situation.

<snip>

In my case it was almost painful to watch those guys playing. More because the gameplay was rather boring. Even the OOC side banter was not very entertaining. I guess I had gotten used to the PA guys which are actually pretty funny even if the game might be average.

XP was for your sblocked stuff!

I agree, it was brutally painful. That singular video did as much damage as anything to my interest in 5e. If the trend of my interest was peaks and troughs (pending new releases/columns) before it, it was probably a hard, downward slope after that.

To your point, I fully understand it and I sympathize generally - for cons/tournaments/living play (as above). However, I just can't look at that tutorial in that same light. This was the lead designer and insiders/other designers. This should have clearly (and proudly) shown off the GMing principles, table agenda, and proficient techniques/interchanges indicative of an extremely matured understanding of the system. Instead, we got "access the plot dump" illusionist GMing (which told me as much as anything that they were aiming for a 2e AD&D ethos as anything else) and a bunch of players and a GM who seemed like they had little clue how this all fits together and were just ad-libbing the whole thing. The whole video was clown shoes and spinning bowties that should have been set to the Benny Hill theme.

And several people were all YEAH WOOHOO THIS IS GREAT! I think I pretty much knew I was the odd man out at that point.

Sadras

Legend
Just shows you the different experiences people have. My own experience was more like Lan's. Nobody I knew used gold for xp and that included not only home campaigns, but also both my university gaming club in Irvine and the tables at which I had played during a few visits to a large gaming club in my home city.

I had similar experience as well, and probably best because we were not mature enough back then and a 1gp = 1 xp rule inclusion would have made our sessions ever more chaotic.
But @Hussar how was your experience with that rule, I'm curious? Positive or negative, did you tweak it a little to fit your table style?

I come from a background of perhaps slightly more DM-vs.-player playstyle than you, thus almost any player proposals are likely to be weighted in the player's favour. We're not cutthroat, but there's always a slight in-character sense of "us against the world", and as the DM represents the world just as the players represent the PCs there's always going to be that slight edge to things. Which I like.

We have a similar table style in this regard. The above generates a light-humourous tension.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
The player buy-in for conventions or tournament games is already demonstrated simply by "showing up". Due to time constraints (and other), its (presumably - I've never been involved, but it seems intuitive) understood that some manner of information or outright plot dump is going to take place. Relevant NPC001 gives quest via exposition of relevant plot/conflict elements. In the following hour, the players fetch/kill/rescue etc by way of their PCs. Good times had by all (because by "showing up" you've indicated this is what you're looking for - again, presumably).
A side-comment on convention games: for me it's nearly 20 years (basically since I ceased being a full-time university student), but back in the day sessions were 2 to 3 hours (my recollection is 4 sessions per day). The "plot dump" consisted in a mixture of general framing plus PC-specific backgrounds, distributed in advance of play in documentary form.

The best sessions, at least in my experience, were generally RQ, CoC, Pendragon and Stormbringer (ie the various RQ variants). This was for a combination of reasons: those systems attracted the better GMs, had better scenarios written for them, and lend themselves easily to play even by the unfamiliar because the mechanics are so transparent. A good GM in this context is one who is skilled at setting the scene and at RPing NPCs - these things help bridge the inevitable gap of unfamiliarity with and lack of long-term investment in the characters or the game. And also who will take player action declarations and run with them. A good scenario is one in which the PCs (via their prescripted motivations) have a mixture of reasons to cooperate, but also elements of tension, and the scenario gives scope for these tensions to emerge in a natural way.

A poor tournament game, by contrast, is characterised by lacklustre GMing in respect of narration, and by blatant railroading with no ingame rationale (contrast CoC, which lends itself very well to the convention format, because the railroading makes sense in game, and it is a lot of fun to play/emote your increasingly crazed PC and otherwise just go along for the well-GMed ride). To the extent that the PCs have pre-scripted conflicts, those conflicts don't really get brought out in play except perhaps in arbitrary or heavy-handed ways. (In other words, it's not radically different from what makes for poor non-convention play.)

I've played convention sessions where, due to not getting sufficient sleep overnight, we completely forgot the clues gained in the previous sessions, stuffed everything up, and TPKed royally. Those are dissapointing, but better than a session in which everything is railroaded into a forgone climax, so that our choices really make no difference.

pemerton

Legend
It's been pointed out how these are errors in interpretation, how the player "calls" for a warhorse through the PC (thus not player authorship)
It's equally been pointed out that your distinction here between what you label "player authorship" and character abilities is arbitrary and misses the point.

When the player character paladin calls for his/her warhorse, the GM has to add material into the gameworld which hitherto was not there. The minimum content of this material is a warhorse in a context from which it cannot be extracted except via some sort of adventuring.

And it is a player decision - namely, the decision to have his/her PC call for a warhorse - that requires the GM to incorporate that material. The fact that that decision is a decision to have the PC do something doesn't change the fact that, in the real world, the player decision obliges the GM to author fictional content that satisfies certain fairly narrow parameters.

Suppose the player of a thief had the ability, when s/he gained 6th level, to declare that the guidlmaster sends his/he PC on a mission to prove his/her eligibility for deputy guild leadership. You could imagine the rulebook specifying the mission in basically the same terms as the DMG describes the warhorse quest (p 18) - "a task of some small difficulty which will take a number of days, possibly 2 or more weeks, and will certainly test the mettle of the thief". This would differ from the paladin ability in that there is no incharacter action that triggers the visit from the guildmaster to set the mission. But from the point of view of player authorship it would be identical - as far as control over the austhorship of the gameworld is concerned, both the actual paladin ability and the hypothetical thief ability impose authorship obligations on the GM in exactly the same way.

That you also keep pointing toward stuff written half a decade after the rules were originally written does seem dismissive of the first 12% or the whole of D&D's run thus far.
I don't understand why you think it is dismissive of "the first 12% of the whole of D&D's run thus far" to point out that, by the end of that time, elements were appearing in the rulebooks which directly addressed tensions in the game form between GM authorship, world-exploration-driven action resolution, and the imperative of maintaining player engagement and "fun".

You also keep ignoring the difference between the OP and the side discussion I keep pointing out which is the difference between player knowledge and player authorship
I'm not ignoring any differences. I'm posting about things that I think are relevant to the OP and the issues that discussion of it has raised. My view - which you don't share, but that doesn't make me change my mind - is that once it is recognised that the wishes of the players will influence the GM's authorship of game content, the difference between the GM responding to the players' desires, and the players having the capacity to directly implement their desires, is a purely technical one. I also think that the difference between a paladin player who can force the GM to put a warhorse quest into the game by using a PC ability, and a thief player who can force the GM to put a guild mission into the game by using a purely player resource, is a technical one. There is no difference between the two as far as impact upon GM control over game content is concerned.

conflating a GM setting up a game world with the idea of tailoring encounters for player character level.

<snip>

adding to the a setting to ensure there is plenty for players to do should not be conflated with tailoring encounters to PC level
I'm not conflating them. I'm arguing that setting up a gameworld for RPG play will, in many if not most cases, give rise to exactly the sorts of concerns and tensions that lead to discussions of "tailoring" in 3E (although the very rapid scaling of 3E, plus its lack of evasion rules, increase the tensions even more).

Gygax discusses a concrete case - where the splitting of ingame timelines between two groups of PCs means that one player will not be able to turn up to sessions with the other players. This creates (at least) two options : player A either can't play for multiple sessions, or the GM sets up a new dungeon in a different time and place for player A's PC to explore. Gygax suggests that the second option is the kinder one, for obvious reasons - it means that player A gets to keep playing the game.

Suppose that you are "adding to the setting to ensure that there is plenty for players to do". What are you going to add to the setting, if the PCs are averaging 6th to 10th level? Another kobold stronghold? Or a steading of ogres or giants? Gygax certainly implies - for instance, in his discussion of developing other planes for adventuring - that the new stuff added will roughly correlate with material that is relevant for adventuring by the PCs. (Hence the phrase "needs of the participants".)

This is all tailoring of content to be suitable for play by the particular players the GM is anticipating running in his/her game.

And that's the strawman you spend hundreds of post-words building up to
It's not a strawman. Gygax expressly suggests it as one option, on p 38 of his DMG:

Players who choose to remove their characters from the centre of dungeon activity will find that "a lot has happened while they were away", as adventures in the wilderness certainly use up game days with rapidity, while the shorter time scale of dungeon adventuring allows many game sessions during a month or two of game time. Of course, this might mean that the players involved in the outdoor someplace will either have to come home to "sit around" or continue adventuring in wilderness and perhaps in some distant dungeon (if you [the DM] are kind); otherwise, they will perforce be excluded from game sessions which are taking place during a period of game time in which they were wandering about the countryside doing other things. The latter sanction most certainly appies to characters learning a new language, studying and training for promotion in level, or of someplace manufacturing magic items.​

What do you think Gygax means by "sit around" or "will perforce be excluded from game sessions"? He is talking about the possibility of a player being told s/he can't join in a session because his/her PC is at the wrong point in the timeline. And he is suggesting, as a possible alternative to exlcusion from play altogether, that a kind GM will place an alternative dungeon in the distant wilderness for that player to take his/her PC into.

Which is another example of shaping the content of the gameworld to reflect the desires and expectations of the players.

if the player wants to know if there are crates, he asks the GM if his PC sees any crates.
In my experience, there are any number of ways a player can do this. S/he can ask the GM "Are there any boxes?" Or, speaking as his/her PC, can ask "Do I see any boxes?" Or, speaking in the third person, can ask "Does [insert PC name] notice any boxes in the alley?"

Given that I am the first poster in this thread to have raised the possibility of boxes in the alley, I believe I am an authority on what my point was. And my point was this: in answering the player's question, the GM might want to consider following the player's lead. Or, to put it in negative terms, there is no general reason that I'm aware of for the GM to say "no" and thereby block whatever plan the player had in mind that would involve boxes.

The player interacts with the environment through roleplay in a roleplaying game, by suggesting that his PC is looking around and the GM describes some of what he sees in whatever level of detail seems suitable. If the PC is looking for something specific, like crates or something to climb up, he asks if his PC sees any crates.
As I have repeatedly pointed out, this tells us nothing about how a GM should decide what the answer to the player's question is.

Nothing in any of the GMing advice I have ever read, including Moldvay's and Gygax's, suggests that the GM should ignore the player's desires in giving an answer. Since the mid-80s it's been obvious to me that one feasible GMing approach is to follow the players' leads when they ask such questions. And I don't think I was the only person to notice this before reading The Forge.

The conceit is clear by using the expression "wandering" monsters. It's an abstraction for simplification of setting design.
It's not just, or even primarily, for simplification of setting design. It's about game design. Planned vs wandering encounters are crucial to the play of the game: players have their PCs raid placed monsters (for their loot) while trying to avoid wanderers. Unguarded treasures are typically smaller than guarded ones, or more likely to be trapped. (This is especially so in B/X.)

If the GM decided that placed monsters might be wandering at any time, these basic design features of the game would be undone.

If the PC isn't in possession of a way to figure it out with a check or a spell, the PCs can explore until they put it together. It's not a lottery
By this measure nothing is a lottery - even a random lever dungeon can be explored, after all, if the players are prepared to sacrifice sufficiently many PCs and henchmen during the process. But the distinction between skilled and lottery play was still a real one, drawn by real players of the game.

Simply reiterating that "roleplaying means that the players play their PCs" doesn't tell us anything about whether a given game is a skill game or a lottery game. To explain that difference, you have to talk about the world design from the real-world point of view: what sorts of information is available to the players, what sorts of considerations the GM has in mind in authoring those elements, incuding the informational elements (eg rumours, as mentiond by [MENTION=386]LostSoul[/MENTION] upthread), etc.

Hussar

Legend
I had similar experience as well, and probably best because we were not mature enough back then and a 1gp = 1 xp rule inclusion would have made our sessions ever more chaotic.
But @Hussar how was your experience with that rule, I'm curious? Positive or negative, did you tweak it a little to fit your table style?

We have a similar table style in this regard. The above generates a light-humourous tension.

Not as far as I can remember. We ran it pretty much by the book. It meant that we levelled up probably a bit faster than you would, but, then, Gygax talks about hitting name level in about a year of regular play, so, it kept us in line with that. We tended to use a lot of modules, so, it also meant that we were in line for the next module in the series. I can't imagine trying to do, say, the Slave Lords modules without xp for gp. You'd have to add a bunch of filler adventures in between each module just to bump the party up to the right level.

D'karr

Adventurer
XP was for your sblocked stuff!

Thanks, those slavelord sessions were very enjoyable and the interaction between the PCs and the slavelords, and the reveal in the sblock made the situation much more personal to the players. At this point the PCs are hunting down that slavelord to make her pay.

I agree, it was brutally painful. That singular video did as much damage as anything to my interest in 5e. If the trend of my interest was peaks and troughs (pending new releases/columns) before it, it was probably a hard, downward slope after that.

I had been running various sessions of next since the first demo/playtest WotC did at DDXP. Based on that, I was ambivalent throughout the entire playtest era. Thankfully, I did see that WotC was making changes based on input. Each playtest packet, Open or Closed, had different things that they were trying to nail down. So it was an interesting process regardless. My interest in the game currently is more based on our Friday night group. I enjoy playing in that group no matter what system we use.

To your point, I fully understand it and I sympathize generally - for cons/tournaments/living play (as above). However, I just can't look at that tutorial in that same light. This was the lead designer and insiders/other designers. This should have clearly (and proudly) shown off the GMing principles, table agenda, and proficient techniques/interchanges indicative of an extremely matured understanding of the system.

I'm a little bit more lenient because I've run many convention games with little to no preparation (given the packet 2 minutes before running the game). So I could see and understand the cracks in the armor. Mearls was not the "rules or techniques" guru in most of the exchanges for these particular sessions. You might have noticed that at some point there was even a question amongst them of what particular packet they were showcasing at the moment. With so many changes between packets I think that a "matured understanding of the system" might have been a tall order. Rodney Thompson was much more knowledgeable because he was in the thick of the changes, Mearls was probably more on the periphery (managerial) side. I'm not excusing it, but I can understand/sympathize with it.

Instead, we got "access the plot dump" illusionist GMing (which told me as much as anything that they were aiming for a 2e AD&D ethos as anything else) and a bunch of players and a GM who seemed like they had little clue how this all fits together and were just ad-libbing the whole thing. The whole video was clown shoes and spinning bowties that should have been set to the Benny Hill theme.

Yeah, those videos were IMO baaaaad (goat voice). The PCs were not the least interesting, the ad-lib was rather blah, and the play banter was boring. The beginning exposition "text" was just another annoyance in a chain of lackluster gaming.

I watched the first video mostly because I was interested in seeing things that they might not be sending to us in the closed packets, and for the Q&A at the end. The play session was a side-show at that point. After the first video I watched the first few minutes of the second and third, and would skip to the Q&A at the end.

Unlike with the Penny Arcade videos in which the characters were mildly amusing. The adventures, even when super basic, were fun to watch, and the side banter was the actual highlight of the play session. Besides Chris Perkins is definitely a cut above in the DM department.

And several people were all YEAH WOOHOO THIS IS GREAT! I think I pretty much knew I was the odd man out at that point.

I can somewhat relate. I have 2 regular groups that I DM/play in. There have been times where I'm playing in a game that is fun because of the participants, not the game itself.

Remove ads