D&D 5E Character play vs Player play

The thing is, you have no idea what the DM has planned. For all you know the city is going to explode during day 1. For all you know, a gate will open up and transport you to a different world. That's the nature of D&D. No idea what will happen.
well that is partially true, even you have to admit you know that isn't the norm...

I have seen it happen, but not often. Infact when I ran my zombie apocalypse game the PCs where pretty shocked when the world got turned on it's ear. Even still, when the you know what hit the fan, the PC thief knew where there were stashes of stuff from his guild days...

I'm really not sure why it would drive you nuts. It's just part of the game. My character in one of our current games came from the city we started in. I had a couple of contacts and the DM gave me a little bit more power in town for the first session or two. Then we were sent into the wilderness looking for some relics and didn't come back to the city for nearly 3 months of real time(and about 2 months of in-game time).
and at no point does that mean my characters knowledge can't be used...
None of my knowledge or contacts helped me navigate through the traps or enemies in the ancient temple we went to.
nore would I expect it to...

None of them really factored into the game at all so far.
but you still know things about the world, the kingdom, and the surrounding info.

When we got back to town, we immediately signed up to track down the Lost Crown of the country and went on a quest to track down an item that has been missing for hundreds of years. Since then, my contacts and knowledge of the city I was born in hasn't really come in handy once.
but your contacts and alies could come up when in town... if they didn't then you could have done something to make them if you wanted to...

Most of the time those adventures aren't the best fit for a random collection of PCs made by the average group of players.
well there is the disconnect, random isn't what we do... we make characters for stories or campaigns... we never do random.

You will often have the Paladin who wants to take apart the Thieves Guild and protect the citizens from evil in the same party as that Rogue.
then you get to have fun with the rogue spinning stories well the paliden player has fun trying to catch him... I don't see a problem.

Which means the adventure can't really revolve around the Thieves Guild and their politics without alienating one of the players.
wait what? first it doesn't have to revolve around the guild for the guild to matter, and second why would it alienate anyone?

Almost all classes and archetypes can agree on stopping evil creatures and taking their stuff
yes, and why can't everyones background come into play in doing so?

The world adventurer implies seeking adventure.
yes, and water is wet... and people argue on the internet...

there are lots of different types of adventure.

Adventure is normally about discovering the unknown. I'm not saying that starting a gang war on the streets of the city or creating social change might not be fun. But it doesn't really qualify as "adventuring".
well it is an adventure, but not one anyone brought up, so I guess your all the way in straw man territory...

Why would you assume that?
why would I assume I am playing a character who knows a lot about what's going on and what things mean.
well because I grew up and gained my class in this world. I am already a PC a step above the average person in the world so yes... I assume a level of competence.

If the point of an adventure is that a cult that has been operating in secret for the last 1000 years wants to revive a god that is completely forgotten in the world...why would your character know absolutely anything about what is going on?
Just because batman doesn't know about the court of owls doesn't mean he doesn't know about lots of contacts and alies and resources he can use to uncover information about the court of owls...

My character may not know about the cult, but if it has been operating in the city for 1,000 years it has left a foot print, maybe one no one has ever clued out, but with my information I can... because if not then why bring it up?

I assume I know nothing.
I would never play a game that way...

If the DM happens to say "Good news, this adventure takes place in the city you grew up in. Here's what you know that no one else does." then I'm happy that I get more information than other people. But I'm certainly not coming at it from a position of expecting I know things the others don't.

I assume that the 3-5 PCs each grew up and learned about the world, and that each know different things based on there backgrounds, and both have a level of competence at least equal to the one I have for the real world...

Not sure I understand what you mean. There IS a spectrum. But what you've described so far is extremely far on one side of the spectrum. Far more on the side of improv theatre than traditional RPGs.
:confused::erm::-S
great so no REAL scottsman... you know this is yet another level of BS insulting and dismissiveness as you tell me my 20ish years of RPG is 'doing it wrong'

no player who ever sat at my table ever saw anything like an improve theatre... and the 2 players I had that wanted that were disappointed. So no... I may be a bit off center but I'm still in the RPG spectrum and my games are VERY TRASITIONAL... maybe you need to revaluate your games if you think mine are deviant.

I stopped responding here though, because I am now very upset... I am sick and tired of people doing this...

instead of talking about our games you decided that mine is 'Far more on the side of improv theatre than traditional RPGs' instead of saying "hey here is what we do differently"

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
As a DM, I won't do that and as a player, I'm not interested in a game like that. I'm very willing to sit down for hundreds of hours playing a given campaign. But, if you're going to force me in blind I'm certainly not going to give it a moments thought dropping the campaign. Why would I? I have zero buy in for a campaign like this.
Hmm. I don't know. I've never really needed "buy in" to play a game. I trust that my DM will run an interesting adventure. If his adventure gets boring or isn't to my liking, I'll leave, but probably not until I've given it some time to find its footing. One or two boring sessions might make for a great payoff afterwards.

Then again, that's my philosophy on TV shows too. I'm willing to start watching a show based on a single sentence summary of the plot. I'll give it a shot and see how it turns out. I'll generally give it a season to get good. If it isn't good by the end of the first season, I drop it.

I don't really want to know too much about the plot of a game, I consider them spoilers. It's much more fun to see how my character reacts to being a fish out of water and prevents me from power gaming by purposefully only taking abilities that work best in the type of adventure my DM is running.

The last campaign I started playing in was one run by my friend. All he told us about his game was that it would start in a particular country and city a couple hundred years after the end of his last campaign. Our characters just needed to come up with a reason they'd be in the city and the rest we'd find out as we went. I enjoyed his last campaign so I was confident that whatever he ran would be interesting.

A bit later than I expected, but here's my go at this:

Thanks Lanefan. Have some xp. Going to sblock all of this as most likely don't care about it. Will just leave the bottom bit unblocked as I'm curious about it.

[sblock]I was trying to get your specific take on each and then find out if we could figure out a continuum or a lumping (and the why-fors). In order, we have:

Not sure what I'd call this other than something that doesn't happen here; I'd instead expect to be asked questions like "is there a tapestry or similar to swing from?" and so forth. And even if this type of option did exist at my table I'd be quickly asking for a more detailed description of what "do Swashbuckley stuff" actually entails. A game system with per-scene player-invoked character options like this would tend more towards co-operative story-gaming in my view, where everyone including the DM) has to go with whatever someone is adding in.

- 13th Age

This is a bit closer to what I'm used to - I suppose it'd be called traditional RPGing by some. The variable not mentioned is how many of these exchangeable tokens are floating around in the game; if they're not often seen in play then fine, but if they're common as dirt and used multiple times per scene then we're into the same as a) above, only with more structure and some dice rolling. And see '***' below.

- Cortex Plus or Fate systems

This to me reads like a rewording of a) only with a die roll attached.

- Dungeon World

Hmmm. Not sure where I'd put this one, though the first 4 words "Player tells the GM..." raise a red flag. Were it "Player asks the GM..." or even "Player suggests to the GM..." we'd be on vaguely traditional soil here; but "Player tells..." says different. The dice rolling saves it.

- D&D 4e, 13th Age, or Dungeon World

Traditional, and just fine as it's not an attempt to game the game, as it were. Probably of all these it's my preferred option.

- This is a general, system-neutral GMing principle and can apply to all systems (but might be adversarial to the horror-ride agenda of a system like Cthulu or Dread). However, it is a sub-tenet of the VB, indie axiom of "say yes or roll the dice" (but its origins really predate the formalizing of it).

Similar to a) in that it allows the player to change the parameters of the scene, only this time specifically to his/her advantage. If this happens all the time we're into co-operative story country. And see '***' below.

- D&D 4e

What's not mentioned is why the DM doesn't want the element present, and whether this is standard DM procedure at this table or just happening this time. If the DM has a good reason for not wanting the element I'm cool with it; even if said 'good reason' is simply that introducing the element would make things too easy and-or less interesting.

- Assuming its a good faith, plausible proposal by the player, this above, very specific, GMing technique would be found in the portfoloio of a pair of GMing agendas:

1) Metaplot-centric D&D play with heavy-handed GMing deployed to keep the component parts (in this case, a micro-conflict) of the GM's prepared metaplot (or AP) together, keep it dramatic, and as the exclusive locus of play. Players may be good with this because they primarily want to see the setting scenery, experience the GM's story machinations, and roll some dice. Conversely, the situation may become extremely disfunctional as more proactive players seek to propel the story's emergent facets themselves and, when stymied in their efforts to do so, they may "refuse to play along" and "break the game" by "acting out" (as I suspect GMs who feel that is inappropriate behavior might cast it).

2) Challenge-based D&D (pawn stance or not) where the GM is protecting "the precious encounter." If this sort of technique was deployed, and discovered by the players, in this agenda, it would be decried as foul play due to the GM ad-hoc gaming the scene (and the acruing of fairly benign player assets which might then be used for advantageous action declaration and resolution) and upturning the authenticity of the challenge and its resolution (through illusory scene-detail-generation resolution masking what is actually GM force - rather then letting the dice legitimately decide, saying 50:50 and rolling percentile dice out on the table).

However, if the player proposal is not good faith and/or obviously implausible (eg - the player attempts to stipulate an asset that either (i) utterly breaks genre or (ii) is entirely inconsistent with the overt, table-established backstory - solely to execute a scene-ending power play), its the GMs responsibility (to everyone at the table) to rectify this agenda dysfunction (twixt this player and everyone else) neatly in the moment and then address it fully outside of play. Here I would put "beard on NPC001" and "boxes in an alley" on one side and "ELMINSTER'S MY PAL GUSY AND HE IS CONVENIENTLY SITTING RIGHT HERE WITH A BAZOOKA LOL" on the extreme other.

Clearly you couple D&D 4e, 13th Age, or Dungeon World together. It looks like you put the asset/scene-detail generation schematic of the Cortex Plus and Fate systems somewhere to the inside of that. I suspect you put AD&D and 3.x on the other side.[/sblock]

I want to evaluate the above Roguish Swashbuckling of 4e, 13th Age, and DW and the AD&D Fighter Hordebreaking elements and how they might be similar or different (in terms of table agenda, nature of character resources, and play procedures).

The AD&D Fighter (courtesy PHB stock feature in 1e and C&T Heroic Fray in 2e) works out in the fiction as a rock that waves of lesser enemies break upon. How is this accomplished? By way of manipulating the subjective metagame of the D&D action economy when faced with hordes of lesser foes (1 attack per level) in order to achieve the sought outcome; hordebreaker. He doesn't all of a sudden develop some kind of supercharged Haste spell when in the presence of a pile of mooks. His actual rate of attack doesn't increase. However, folks who percieve (a) rate of attack as an actual objective metric whose locus of control is internal to the martial actor and (b) the action economy of D&D as an actual objective process-simulator (1:1 swing of a weapon vs AC mush contest) would seem to need some kind of externality to explain this (extreme to say the least) increase in rate of attack speed. Of course that makes no sense under any scrutiny. Its outcome-based, metagame manipulation of the AD&D action economy/rate of attack rules in order to simultaneously provide the player with a thematic class feature and an engaging play experience. Case closed.

I'm curious why an outcome-based player resource (thematic swashbuckling via asset generation and stunt performance) that "just works out because he is a BA swashbuckler" is authorial control/4th wall breaking and deviant from trad, yet an outcome-based player resource (thematic hordebreaking via metagame manipulation of the action economy when in the presence of mooks) in AD&D (both 1e and 2) might be deemed deployed from the perspective of the character and trad?

*** - several of the above options have me wondering: do the enemies ever get such advantages or is it always just the players/characters who get these benefits? Fairness to me would dictate that the enemies should have their own avenues to change the scene in their favour (where it makes sense, of course; I'm not advocating asshat DMing here) similar to what the characters have. An example: where the guy says he knows the monkey etc., can the DM on the moneky's turn decide (or even roll for if) the monkey has some real bad memories of this guy and just wants to bite his fingers off?

It depends on (a) the play agenda, (b) the GMing principles, and (c) the system's mechanics. In a perfect world, these three components are carefully synthesized by the designers to churn out a specified, functional play experience.

I'll give you a quick example of how this might take place in 4e and Dungeon World.

1) In combat of 4e, the player wants to stunt with the monkey. p42 is consulted for a relevant DC and damage expression and the GM and player negotiate the effect. Perhaps on a successful Streetwise check at medium DC and level + 3 attack vs Reflex, the table of guys take n damage and are prone (as they fall back out of their chairs trying to avoid the monkey). If the player fails the Streetwise check, the character give up Combat Advantage till the end of the next turn or the monkey becomes an aggressive Minion in play (with whatever narrative justification is required).

Same thing can happen in a Skill Challenge except the player eats a Healing Surge loss and now has to deal with an aggressive and angry monkey!

2) In Dungeon World, if the player has outright fiat over the monkey (eg the move says "this happens), then the monkey is off-limits. However, if the player has to mechanically resolve it (2d6 + n) and yields a minor complication with 7-9 or a major with a 6-, then the GM not only can, but is suppose to make a soft or hard move against the player, changing the fiction in the way that puts them in a spot. That might entail something with the monkey going from proposed asset to problem child (like you mentioned).

LostSoul

Adventurer
Here's where you go even further off the tracks and show your belief that your idea of fun is everyone's idea of fun, as you are identifying what you see as problematic then casting it as universally problematic. I won't join deeply into this tangential argument as the premise is obviously faulty but I will point out the following. What you term as "real problems" are just how folks played (and many still do and some just starting with new games like DCC do) but doesn't seem to agree with your own way of playing. I think this underlying bias hinders your ability to objectively examine the development of RPGs, RPGs with storytelling elements, and full-fledged storytelling games.

I'm confused here. pemerton says:

They have their origins in real problems of RPGing, such as (in this case) what to do with a gap between the most natural ingame likelihood (ie that there's nothing much for these PCs to do) and the player expectations of the game (ie that they'll turn up to play and have something interesting for their PCs to do).

Do people actually play this way - they make PCs with the expectation that they'll be able to do something but then it turns out there's nothing for them to do? I'd be very surprised if that's a common mode of play, even with new games like DCC. (Not that I've played DCC, but from what I know about it I don't know why it's brought up as an example. DCC seems geared towards adventure and random crazy things happening.)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Do people actually play this way - they make PCs with the expectation that they'll be able to do something but then it turns out there's nothing for them to do? I'd be very surprised if that's a common mode of play, even with new games like DCC. (Not that I've played DCC, but from what I know about it I don't know why it's brought up as an example. DCC seems geared towards adventure and random crazy things happening.)

Yeah, I'm not inclined to describe sandboxy games quite the same way as pemberton so I won't speak for his quote but as to DCC being brought up, I did so as a way of pointing out a recent RPG designed to be run without player authorial control and much reliance on GMs using dice and chance to carry the ongoing action in-game. There's seemingly plenty to do if you manage to survive the randomness. I've played a few times and found it too chaotic for my own tastes.

let me give you 2 examples... one a mistake I made running a game, and one I was a PC...

1) World of Darkness game, I was a co story teller/GM in the game (there were 3 people running the game and 30 players) we would have NPCs we would wrangle and when players split up we could take people to other parts of the basement we were playing in. It wasn't my game pitch, but the guy who came up with it asked me and his then best friend to help him run it. The game was a world wide scavenger hunt, and players could be any World of Darkness type they wanted to be, with two main starting points. 1 was Atlanta the other was in Germany. One player played a Gypsy hacker who had all these tech skills, and computer skills, and contacts and allies that where hackers and that sort of thing... and opps, being 1997 we didn't have smart phones or wifi or a lot of what we had now. He spent almost 3 weeks out of game time sitting doing nothing...

Let me say if I ran it today I would not make the same mistake (not even including that thanks to Watch_Dogs I could imagine really cool stuff) we needed to give him something to do and we didn't...

2) 3e D&D game. I was told we where playing in a poltical thriller and to not make 'combat gumby twinks' so being told to be 3rd level I designed Adrios, the level 1 Noble (dragon lance book) level 1 Rogue with level adjustment +1. I was an Asimar son of a local lord who fancied himself a duilist but never really took anything seriesly... my grandfather was some big tado paladin who fought in the wars, his daughter (my mother) was a half celestial who married my father the human lord... except I rolled for poop... I mean my stats where so low they were almost unplayable... I had a 13cha (Yes after race) as my high stat. I spent my starting money on a fancy Rapier, and some potions. Very first game we were on a caravan going to the capitol... ten mis in we were sacked by orcs and brought into the 'bad lands' were I was the worst load stone any party every had around it's neck... I played for 4 sessions, leveled to level 4 took my second level of rogue before I died 2 encounters before the TPK...

I like how you put this. It highlights what I believe really matters the most: player engagement.

Yup

Yes, there is theoretical potential for abuse. Certainly the DM has the right to veto, or counteroffer (e.g. "You have the bad luck to be in one of the few alleys in this warehouse district with no crates or boxes whatsoever. But there is a long pile of rotting barrels. They could easily be stacked up, but, it might be rickety if you are in a hurry.")

This is why I prefer systems with transparent and well-engineered conflict resolution systems that make dynamic complications an emergent feature of the basic procedures and principles of play. That way I'm spending all of my mental overhead on exciting, thematic adventure that my players have signaled to me that they care about...and none of it on banging the actual rules into shape, in-situ, that may or may not be playing nice with each other or with our play agenda.

Want some crates to facilitate your navigation of the escape from the pursuit in the alley? How about a Streetwise check as secondary skill to augment (if you succeed) or interfere with (if you fail) your Athletics check as primary skill. Or maybe as a primary skill for some real risk of complication. Or roll Discern Realities and on a 7-9 you get your one question (in this case - "What here is useful or valuable to me" - crates) and + 1 forward when acting on it (with your Defy Danger to get out of the alley) or on a 6- we've got a none too friendly complication (perhaps related to the crates, perhaps not). Or you can deploy an asset die for the crates in your dice pool and if you roll a 1, the GM can activate it or its auto-fallout to make your life more difficult.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Yeah, I'm not inclined to describe sandboxy games quite the same way as pemberton so I won't speak for his quote but as to DCC being brought up, I did so as a way of pointing out a recent RPG designed to be run without player authorial control and much reliance on GMs using dice and chance to carry the ongoing action in-game. There's seemingly plenty to do if you manage to survive the randomness. I've played a few times and found it too chaotic for my own tastes.

What I understood [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] to be saying was that a strict "world simulation" could easily lend itself to a game where the PCs don't have anything to do. What I understood you to be saying was that a lot of people play games where the PCs don't have anything to do. It seems like I'm missing something here.

I (believe) I play a sandbox game, but I use a lot of thinly-veiled "metagaming" ways to give the players information - I start the PCs out with a lot of rumours so that they know where the adventuring sites are. I used to explicitly tell them the level of the challenge at those adventuring sites as well, but I moved to a system where the terrain type determines the range of the challenge. Thinly-veiled "metagaming", but I find it helps.

(I have metagaming in scare quotes because I believe that information is an important part of playing the game. It's not gaming the game, but playing the game; however, the PCs might not necessarily have access to that information. Kind of like how you know lower dungeon levels are more dangerous by default.)

DCC always seemed interesting to me; I like a lot of randomness in the places it seems that DCC has it. (It seems to me that DCC allows you to "gamble" if you'd like, though I don't think it forces it on you. I could be wrong.)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
What I understood [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] to be saying was that a strict "world simulation" could easily lend itself to a game where the PCs don't have anything to do. What I understood you to be saying was that a lot of people play games where the PCs don't have anything to do. It seems like I'm missing something here.

My contention is that in sandbox games PCs have a great variety of things to do and make their own determination as to what is challenging to them and what they might think wise to put off until they become more experienced adventurers. I do think it is good to give in-game clues as to the difficulty of particular challenges. A low level group might decide it is more likely they can succeed clearing out skeletons from a local cemetery but also be aware that the nearby mountains might have a known dragon's lair that even the noble's champion knight says is something he wouldn't comfortably attempt to slay. Maybe some outlying villages are being harassed by kobolds who have some connection to the dragon, like they worship the dragon and feed it tribute that has kept the dragon from becoming too aggressive toward civilized areas. While it might be okay to drive the kobolds off from the villages maybe not so wise to venture to the foothills and completely wipe them out lest the dragon take notice of their intrusion and become troublesome to the villages himself. I could write paragraphs and more paragraphs here about such a sandbox and how it all interrelates and the myriad of opportunities it presents for PCs and their players but I think this much illustrates it well enough for now. Or maybe I am not understanding what you mean by "the PCs don't have anything to do." Is this more clear regarding how a sandbox functions?

This does seem to be an issue for some posters, though I'm not sure how generally.

I think its pretty pervasive, to be honest. I think it cuts to the core of the "who should have the authority at the table" question that haunts these discussions so deeply. Almost every one of these threads (from alignment oversight to the play procedures for fleshing out mundane scene details that may become relatively benign assets) assumes that the precautionary principle must be applied for the sake of us all because player proposals are assumed to be coming from an M.O. of dysfunction or bad-faith.

What puzzles me more is the idea coming through from multiple posters that it matters more whether the players' access to information is via a character-cast spell rather than a player-triggered Hey, GM, give me a clue token, than it does whether it is conducive or non-conducive to a fun time at the table that the players have the ability to force the GM to give them information on command.

What is interesting with this would be to find out what cross-section of GMs that hold these ideas also promote the "access the plot dump" (see Mearls GMing in one of the introductory videos to a live session of 5e) illusory mechanical resolution technique. Its a totally dysfunctional play procedure in every way possible...but the GM is in control so is that enough to warrant a pass on the technique? I mean, I saw nary a batting of an eyelash by supporters over it when that video was trotted out. However, it felt like I was hit by a cattle prod when I bore witness to it...you could probably hear my "OH GOD NO" groan in Australia when I saw that bit.

Remove ads