Question About New GM Mistakes

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
As [MENTION=6816042]Arilyn[/MENTION] noted, aspects can be tricky to write and implement well. Be flexible about letting players revamp or replace aspects until they get ones that do what they want and play well in practice.

emile_woo

First Post
I cant thank all of you enough for the awesome advice.

I am running my first FATE game tonight. I intend to get my players to jump in to a bit of silliness. By that I mean that I usually run hardcore tactical simulations and I want this game to feel more like a movie or comic book. I think I can get them to work their aspects and use there fate points if I keep the compels coming, make it feel like FATE points are not so rare and that they can use them.

Wish me luck, and thanks again everyone.

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
For your first few games, I would even consider writing the player's aspects on stand-up cards (you know, like, folding a card in half like a tent... are they even called tent cards?) and putting them in front of the players so that both you and they always have them for quick reference.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
A little late to the thread, but here goes...

When writing Aspects, make sure that they sound interesting and evocative rather than boring and "go for the win" (i.e. "Master Swordsman" is better than "Lucky", "Sword of the Purple Rose" is better than both). Make sure you can see at least a few ways the Aspects can be used negatively, these are your compels. For example, that "Master Swordsman" is likely to be challenged to duels on a regular basis so some upstart can earn a quick reputation, further, as a "Master Swordsman" that character is likely to have a reputation that proceeds them, for good or ill.

The Fate points should flow like water... at least till the players get used to the idea that they're not meant to be hoarded. Once they understand, really actually get it, then pull back... a little. They should still flow freely, but they don't need to drink from the fire hose after the first few sessions.

Keep a list of your PC's Aspects. Try to work those in often. The players created these characters, and with a generally more open system like Fate, they're kind of telling you what they want to do with their characters in the game with those Aspects. A player who gives their character "Master Swordsman" wants to kick ass with a sword, but they also want to have that reputation and the consequences that come with it. If they constantly resist any negatives of their Aspects, you're in trouble. Either it's a bad Aspect and they weren't expecting it to actually come into play, or they don't really want to play Fate. Use their Aspects to design adventures, NPCs, and the world around them. They're laying out things they want to see in-game right there for you, so use them.

Start games with a compel. This is the Fate equivalent to in medias res. Once the characters are done, offer that shy player a shiny Fate point token to compel their juicy Aspect, typically their Trouble or the dark side of their High Concept. For example, a wet-behind the ears swordsman challenging your "Master Swordsman" to a duel.

ETA: How'd the game go?

Remove ads