These Are DDB's Most Viewed D&D Adventures

D&D Beyond has published some stats on which Dungeons & Dragons adventures are the most viewed since the launch of the platform. These aren't sales, just how often adventures are viewed on D&D Beyond. Time is a factor - the longer something has been out, the higher its view count is likely to be. Dragon Heist ties with Curse of Strahd, leading the pack, with Rise of Tiamat bringing up the rear.

D&D Beyond has published some stats on which Dungeons & Dragons adventures are the most viewed since the launch of the platform. These aren't sales, just how often adventures are viewed on D&D Beyond. Time is a factor - the longer something has been out, the higher its view count is likely to be. Dragon Heist ties with Curse of Strahd, leading the pack, with Rise of Tiamat bringing up the rear.

Out of curiosity, I also added my own column showing their rating on EN World.

Screenshot 2019-01-26 at 10.29.31.png

They also looked at the most viewed individual adventure chapters.

Screenshot 2019-01-26 at 10.32.19.png

D

DQDesign

Pretty sure that's much more a factor that they do not want Magic:The Gathering branded material falling into the open gaming license?

the DMsGuild community content agreement does not qualify as OGL and has nothing in common with it, as officially acknowledged by wotc here

https://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-us/articles/217520927

anyway, I could barely understand worries about art, but never about maps for example, which are no part of the M:tG game in any way.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
the DMsGuild community content agreement does not qualify as OGL and has nothing in common with it, as officially acknowledged by wotc here

https://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-us/articles/217520927

anyway, I could barely understand worries about art, but never about maps for example, which are no part of the M:tG game in any way.

Fair enough. I still assume it's a "we don't want other people writing stuff for Magic The Gathering and making money off of it in any way". It may even be "we agreed between departments on one book, and we'd need another internal agreement for anything further because we share revenue between departments internally on those products." I think it's those kinds of issues (however they are articulated) rather than "we don't want to support this setting" which is the cause for the lack of DMs Guild material for that book.

D

DQDesign

Fair enough. I still assume it's a "we don't want other people writing stuff for Magic The Gathering and making money off of it in any way".

this cannot be because actually anyone is allowed to write stuff about Ravnica in the DMsGuild, as written here:

https://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-us/articles/217029298

the problem is that anyone can write stuff, but cannot base its work on WotC's support, differently from authors willing to write for Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft or Eberron.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Setting vs Adventures - I will likely use a setting for more than just the amount of time I will use a 4-5 level adventure - so it will generate more views.

I think this is an important point. The DDB numbers are based on views not sales. Even if the number of views strongly correlate with sales, the sales figures of DDB may or may not correlate with WotC's overall sales of these same books.

I strongly hope that data make clear to WoTC that a lot of people like non-FR adventures and that more diversity in campaign setting is needed: I believe that, removing the 'newness' effect of Waterdeep:DH, Curse of Strahd would be solidly first for viewings (and its 90% score here on ENWorld is astounding).
But I also believe that those data are not so important for them in developing their publishing schedule.

Actually, this data looks all the way back to DDB launch, so the newness of Dragon Heist actually counts against it making that high percentage very impressive. But for a variety of reasons, I’m not surprised at the top few.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Fair enough. I still assume it's a "we don't want other people writing stuff for Magic The Gathering and making money off of it in any way". It may even be "we agreed between departments on one book, and we'd need another internal agreement for anything further because we share revenue between departments internally on those products." I think it's those kinds of issues (however they are articulated) rather than "we don't want to support this setting" which is the cause for the lack of DMs Guild material for that book.

They've stated that Ravnica will be available for the DM guild at some point.

D

DQDesign

It already is available on the DM's Guild. There's even 36 community made products that relate to ravnica in the store.

exactly. the problem is not the 'availability', it is the fact that, differently from other settings, no official wotc 'developers' kit' is available on the guild.

Delazar78

First Post
On a related note, has Ravnica killed Eberron and Planescape and stolen their stuff?

The guilds look like a mix between factions and dragonmarked houses, huge metropolis with planar gateways, magi-tech, etc.

What is there left to make Eberron and Planescape special?

Remove ads

Remove ads