D&D (2024) 6e? Why?

Oofta

Legend
[MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION],

You think 4E was better for new players, I don't. In my experience it may have been easier for the first few levels, but unless you used the online tool it became overwhelming. In my experience at mid-to-high level play 4E devolved into an unholy mess of conditions, interrupts and people trying to parse the wording of their powers like it was computer code.

You also make a lot of assumptions and statements about my motivation, background, who I played with or not, that "old school" players rejected 4E simply because it was different. You keep stating things as facts that are nothing more than your opinion.

It's insulting not only to me, but to everyone who didn't like 4E to say that the reason people didn't like 4E was because we couldn't get used to change. You liked the game. Good for you. I enjoyed it for quite a while myself but, like most people I played with, eventually burned out on it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The bigger driver of a new edition or effort to revitalize WotC sales will probably be how well Paizo does with their 2nd edition release and how that does or does not impact WotC sales.

I have talked to a few people who are going to jump ship when Pathfinder 2 is released. If it kills 5e sales they may move their timeline up on a new edition again, like they did with 5e. 4e wasn’t in the wild very long comparatively before we hear about D&D Next play tests. Partly because the edition itself drove many people to Paizo’s 3.75 outputs.

If their 2e pulls a ton of interest and sales it MAY push the timeline on a new D&D line up.

I don’t want that to happen, i enjoy 5e still. The simplicity is refreshing after a decade of morass of complexity 3.x across WotC & Paizo lines. But it could...

So important, you had to say it twice!

Tony Vargas

Legend
You think 4E was better for new players, I don't. In my experience it may have been easier for the first few levels, but unless you used the online tool it became overwhelming.
That's a very different qualifier. When I say that 4e was more accessible to the new player, of course that mostly meant at 1st level, where 4e was at it's "lightest" and 5e has some issues with unexpected lethality, and even the basic-pdf casters have some substantial complexity. Not only that, but when introducing new players, be it 4e or 5e (or prior eds), I'll always use pregens.
I was involved in Encounters from the 2nd season on, so that was level 1-4 over & over. ;)

There's no question the DDI tools, balky as they were, also made the game that much easier for those who used them, and that was part of the design intent. The groups that formed around encounters tables and cleaved off to form home games typically shared a DDI account...
...frankly, I think sometimes more than one group had shared a single DDI...

My old group did without the tools and ran through to Paragon level without undue hardship (we did hit 'the wall' the first time into paragon), but we were all experienced.

In my experience at mid-to-high level play 4E devolved into an unholy mess of conditions, interrupts and people trying to parse the wording of their powers like it was computer code.
Except for the 'unholy mess' that's not far wrong. 4e had a very clear, almost technical-manual presentation, so it was easy to 'parse' a power right at the table and figure out what it did. Very little of the back-and-forth rules debates that were common in 3.x and punted to DM fiat before that. While it's easy to spin that negatively (or even honestly experience it negatively, in contrast to long familiarity with the game's more quixotic older-ed rules), it's still a positive (clarity) in making the system that much easier to learn for new players, and that much easier to run, since you don't have to review every PC ability in advance. The experience of playing through the heroic levels is pretty smooth, that way.

Paragon, as I've said, does feel like a wall when you first hit it, but it passed quickly, IMX.

Though, contrary to my own opinion on Paragon, I did have success with new players playing 16th level pregens at a convention. I guess there's always an exception.

You also make a lot of assumptions and statements about my motivation, background, who I played with or not
Based only upon what you have said, yourself. I can't base assumptions about you on anything else.

It's insulting not only to me, but to everyone who didn't like 4E to say that the reason people didn't like 4E was because we couldn't get used to change.
Not taking to changes in something you've enjoyed for a long time is hardly unusual and not some terrible fault. OTOH, misrepresenting those changes is an issue.

Last edited:

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I have honestly not looked at and am not really interested in the PF2 offerings so sorry to say I can't compare, but I agree with [MENTION=6802553]BookBarbarian[/MENTION] what streams (if any) pick it up will drive a lot of sales their way. I hadn't thought about it, but it's true.

Oofta

Legend
That's a very different qualifier. When I say that 4e was more accessible to the new player, of course that mostly meant at 1st level, where 4e was at it's "lightest" and 5e has some issues with unexpected lethality, and even the basic-pdf casters have some substantial complexity. Not only that, but when introducing new players, be it 4e or 5e (or prior eds), I'll always use pregens.
I was involved in Encounters from the 2nd season on, so that was level 1-4 over & over. ;)

If you primarily played/DMed level 4 or less you would have a different perspective than I do. I'm concerned about long term retention, not just intro levels.

However, I also haven't seen issues with new people learning 5E whether there are people to help them or not. I've introduced several newbies now and they had no problems picking up the game. It's certainly a lower bar than 3.5.

...4e had a very clear, almost technical-manual presentation, so it was easy to 'parse' a power right at the table and figure out what it did. Very little of the back-and-forth rules debates that were common in 3.x and punted to DM fiat before that. While it's easy to spin that negatively, it's still a positive in making the system that much easier to learn. The experience of playing through the heroic levels is pretty smooth, that way.

You saw that aspect of 4E in a more positive light than I did. In my experience having detailed powers with no common foundation made things more difficult, both as a player and a DM. I don't know how many times we had to stop the game and pause for a few minutes while the DM read through the power trying to understand what it did. Complexity, even if well explained, can still be detrimental to a game.

If you consider a game who's turns can take an hour or more (I think our record was an hour and a half) at higher levels to be "smooth" all I can say is that we have a different definition for that word.

Tony Vargas

Legend
If you primarily played/DMed level 4 or less you would have a different perspective than I do. I'm concerned about long term retention, not just intro levels.
I've played & run campaigns going from Heroic through Epic. But, I primarily introduced new players to 4e at Encounters, which ran from 1st, up to 4th level by the end of the season. I've only rarely had occassion to introduce a new player to the game at higher levels (Paragon once or twice), and don't consider it typical. Nor, by the time you hit Paragon from 1st, are you really 'new' anymore. ;) You're probably ready to run 4e well before that point, if you're at all enclined.

However, I also haven't seen issues with new people learning 5E whether there are people to help them or not. I've introduced several newbies now and they had no problems picking up the game. It's certainly a lower bar than 3.5.[/qoute] 5e is not as bad (or good) as 3.5 along a number of dimensions, sure, 3.5 was a high-water mark in a lot of ways.

I have seen new players come up hard against playing the character they want to - wanting to play a fighter type and being disapointed in how fast they died, or wanting to play a wizard and being unable to cope with the neo-Vancian magic sub-system (heck neo-Vancian has been the one sticking point for a few long-time & returning players, too). I've also seen plenty of players take to it very well with a little help. But, the issues of new players are minor compared to the duck-to-water way returning players take to 5e. It's a thing of beauty, really. WotC has gotten the balance of accessibilty to the new vs acceptablity to the old just about as right as could be hoped, and at just the right time.

You saw that aspect of 4E in a more positive light than I did. In my experience having detailed powers with no common foundation made things more difficult, both as a player and a DM. I don't know how many times we had to stop the game and pause for a few minutes while the DM read through the power trying to understand what it did.
"No common foundation?" Not sure what that means.

Powers were very plainly presented, I've seen players go nuts trying to figure out what a power 'was supposed to do,' ignoring the clear, simple text that said exactly what it did the whole time. Mostly the more serious 3.5 types.

Complexity, even if well explained, can still be detrimental to a game.
It can, but it's unavoidable in an RPG - even RPGs that keep their systems very short in terms of page count, load a lot of complexity on the GM or players. The idea that 4e is any more complex than other eds is off, too. It's actually less complex (clearer & more consistent) in structure & play. It's just much less familiar, and if D&D has been second nature to you for years or decades, you become inured to it's complexities - so a new D&D like 5e that hasn't changed them much, benefits from that as the accustomed complexities fly under the radar, while a radically different one like 4e pushes all the complexity it does have right in your face, like a durian-cream pie.

If you consider a game who's turns can take an hour or more (I think our record was an hour and a half) at higher levels to be "smooth" all I can say is that we have a different definition for that word.
IMX, turns took as long or longer in 3.5, and more of that was dealing with rules issues or one player monopolizing the DM's time, while in 4e the time was actual play that engaged more of the table. A turn cycle could take a while (never an hour, mind you - whole, big level+ set-piece combats take an hour or two), and one 3.5-veteran powergamer who was in my campaign for a while notoriously took a couple of "15 min turns" when he busted out summons with his Wizard(Witch) Vile Scholar build, but that's about as bad as it ever got.

Really, the speed issue is more about perception, and who's taking the time. In 4e, every character can take a pretty substantial turn if they spend an Action Point or use a more interesting power. In other eds, it's casters who eat up time on resolving high-impact/complex spells (OK, and rules debate's and mapping, Joel, mapping..*). The 4e phenomenon can lead to a spiral in which players who have waited, disengaged, a little too long for their turn decide to take a really /involved/ turn to make up for it, which of course, means it's that much longer for the next guy... the solution I found to that issue was engagement. Ironically, that could mean encouraging off-turn actions and abilities that benefited other PCs, because they keep the player with them focused on the action when it's not his turn.

*[sblock] off topic but a couple of the players in our old 3.x campaign got so, so sick of mapping (which the DM & I were just happily wiling away the hours with, in loving detail, because old-school), that he essentially invented the skill challenge about 6 years early, and, eventually, created the most-beloved NPC of any campaign I've ever encountered: Gimble the Gnomish Master Cartographer (Thank you, Expert NPC class!). When Gimble was eaten by a purple worm, we went ballistic on the thing, cut his corpse out of it, and rushed to nearest high level priest to have him raised (our resident dwarf cleric made the mistake of a dipping a level of fighter, or we might not even any of us been 9th yet, but for whatever reason we couldn't do it ourselves), no debate over how far behind the wealth/level curve we were already, we ponied up rather than lose our GPS. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
[MENTION=996]

It's insulting not only to me, but to everyone who didn't like 4E to say that the reason people didn't like 4E was because we couldn't get used to change. .

I can't see Tony's post, but if he said that, then it makes no sense. It's like saying the reason people who didn't like New Coke is because they couldn't handle change, or any other number of revisions that flopped. It's a personal preference thing, and by that very nature, you cannot say the reason product failed is because of one disparaging reason of people who didn't like it. It reeks of elitism, like those people who say you're not a REAL admirer of literature unless you are a fan of Vonnegut.

Tony Vargas

Legend
This will be my third attempt at a reply, BTW... if it's terse, it's just frustration with technology...

What you say highlights my view that for an edition of D&D to be truly successful, it must appeal to both longtime/returning fans and casual/new fans, as two broad groups. 5E has done a good job with this, despite what you say about it being unintuitive to newbies.
That's a major part of it, IMHO. It must strike the balance between being acceptable to the old gaurd and accessible to the new. 5e moved back from the level of accessibility 4e presented quite a lot, to get to the level of acceptabilty required (maybe erred on that side more than a bit).

I think also there's an important point here, that many longtime gamers don't understand, what we could call "Expert's Myopia."
I feel like there is a lot of that going on. We get so familiar with one game that we become accustomed to how it does things, cope with it's issues automatically, and any difference from it stands out.

The appeal of a game for the vast majority of casual fans, including those coming into the hobby, has little to do with rules minutiae, mechanical design, game balance, etc; all of the stuff that diehards like to argue over. It has more to do with "fluffy" elements like presentation, flavor, art, and also just cultural zeitgeist.
'Appeal' is very much that 'culture zietgiest' (there's a come-back in full swing, instead of an edition war, for instance) and shelf presence (the core books are very clearly marked, the supplements are more obscure).

What's between the covers, whether a casual player is aware of it in the kind of hideous detail we discuss it (heaven help him) or not, OTOH, does indirectly impact their play experience, making the game fun or frustrating, exciting or disapointing, engaging or boring. 5e, of course, has returned intentionally to the 1e answer to those potential problems: load responsibility for the play experience entirely on the DM. It's called 'Empowerment,' but, with tons of long-time & returning DMs finding 5e quite 'acceptable,' and new DMs getting trained up over time, it's working out quite well.

This is why I think they could design a secondary line of "advanced D&D" books that explore possibilities beyond the core of the game for the hardcore.
Honestly, I think that would be horrible. It'd shatter the relatively unified, clear brand-image/shelf-presence (3 core books, only one clearly for a 'Player') that keeps the game from being too intimidating before a potential new player has even tried it.

The variation on that which could work would be a 3pp coming out with a game that's built up on 5e using the SRD, as a sort of 'advanced' version - with neither the D&D nor the WotC logos to confuse the potential new players in the mainstream.

Paizo could've gone there with PF2.

I personally don't see a lot of dysfunction, but haven't played 5E a huge amount (I played a bit early on, and just joined a game a few months ago). But a portion of your perception of this could have to do with "Expert's Myopia."
That 'Expert's Myopia" is exactly why you don't see the dysfunction! Filler fights, time pressure, gotchyas, anti-magic zones, wrapping campaigns by 15th level? It's nothing to do with imposing balance & payability, it's just how we've always played the game, it's D&D's own self-defined 'genre.'
;)

...and, quick, post before it glitches again...

... thank Kibo...it finally worked...

Oh, and:

Your expertise makes you lose sight of the fact that what bothers you doesn't bother the majority of people.
Here's the thing: thanks to my expertise, it doesn't bother me. I can have a blast running 5e, because I have the 'mad skillz' from running AD&D all those years. ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads