D&D (2024) 6e? Why?

Tallifer

Hero
I think that, since with the gloriously encyclopedic and open power of the contemporary internet, we all have access to and therefore the capability of running all seven editions of D&D (with varying degrees of effort required), we have no pressing need for a sixth edition. Certainly among my wide circle of roleplaying friends, we each have found a preferred edition or variation.

At the same time, 5th Edition seems to be the most unifying edition out there. My own campaign includes many diverse and happy players, but if I tried to run the same campaign in any previous edition, I would lose half my players for one reason or another.

cloud_dragon 2.jpg

Kaodi

Hero
If the problem is sales... why not sell new updated rulebooks that do not change the rules at all but instead change the non-rule stuff. Different covers, all new art, better explanations, text, and layouts, and generally try to make the existing product better? Surely that would be relatively cheap to do compared to playtesting a new book or new edition.

Arilyn

Hero
If the problem is sales... why not sell new updated rulebooks that do not change the rules at all but instead change the non-rule stuff. Different covers, all new art, better explanations, text, and layouts, and generally try to make the existing product better? Surely that would be relatively cheap to do compared to playtesting a new book or new edition.

If and when sales lag, tastes change, and WOTC feels it's time to update, same rules but new art and fluff will not go over well.

It's hard to picture right now, because 5e is so popular and well received, but eventually, players get restless, cracks in the system become more annoying, the casual players have moved on to something different, and more players than not will want an update. Not a terrible thing, otherwise, we'd have never gotten past ODnD. We may be many years off, but it'll happen.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned

The time to do that is when a new edition comes out, not when sales lag.

When a new edition comes out it's all ponies and rainbows and folks will happily pick up extra covers and art because they're collectors.
When sales drop it's all torches and pitchforks because it's suddenly a cash grab.

People are strange.
KB

Tony Vargas

Legend
That's essentially what Hasbro has been doing with Monopoly for decades: 'special editions,' the rules are the same or barely different, but it's dressed up differently.

D&D could also re-publish core rules with, a different default setting. Or with emphasis on a different sub-genre (S&S or action or anime or high-fantasy instead of... er, well D&D).
Or even all the same rules, but with some of the optional rules standard by default and some of the standard rules labeled 'optional.' So in each case it's stilll "Really D&D" and a new player could jump in with the 'special edition' and still be playing D&D...

Something like that could be coordinated with releases in another medium. Like if a D&D Dragonlance moview were made, a special edition of D&D could use Krynn as it's default setting. Or when M:tG has some ginormously successful event, a special edition of D&D set in Dominia could be released for a limited time, with several different covers, sold blind/random in foil. (OK, maybe not.)

Last edited:

Laurefindel

Legend

Because we're in 2030 and this edition has been running for over 15 years now. With the new mechanics introduced in Elder Scroll IX and the new possibilities of VR and holo-paper, D&D could use a refresher (not just that D&D Super-Beyond (TM) app that everyone is complaining about). And you know, it'd be nice to make a character like in Peter Jackson's Silmarillon 3. That new archetype kinda does it, but it really screams for a new class really.

I mean, even Pathfinder is on its fifth edition and it gets better every time. And they're selling lots! You'd hope that D&D gets to 6e before PF right?

...right?

Remove ads