• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 6e? Why?

Les Moore

Explorer
I can't see 6E, pretty much EVER, unless they re-vamp 4E totally, and sell it exclusively, online. NO paper PHBs, Miniatures, or anything TT. We already have 5 TT
versions, enough, already.

schnee

First Post
6E won't happen for a long time.

The only thing I can possibly see happening is new printings of 5e incorporating subtle tweaks to rules and wording, as they incorporate the lessons they've learned over time with errata, different books, and sage advice.

I would really appreciate a good pass on the intersection of stealth, obscurement, magical darkness, and passive/active perception to make it a lot more clear - those require far more interpretation than I think necessary. That's one area where the border between 'rules as written' and 'space where rulings need to be made because we don't want to saddle you with hideously complex rules' is way too fuzzy, and the relative effectiveness and power level of different skills and abilities can vary way too much.

Last edited:

schnee

First Post
Sure - we can agree to disagree :)

Providing two choices that have differences that are unknowable to a new user is a fundamentally bad idea to anyone who does commerce as a career. So, feel free to disagree, but the people operating on Wizard's level can back it up with overwhelming amounts of experience and experimental proof.

I could see them improving the Starter Set, based on user testing and feedback, if the numbers bear it out. But, if they ever did, they'd most likely communicate those changes to resellers, not players or customers. Potential customers wouldn't know the difference, current players won't ever use it, and obsessive collectors will find it anyway.

The only time they've called out a thing being different is with an 'evergreen' product like the DM screen. The first one received a lot of grief and (obviously) didn't sell well, so they re-did it, and added 'Reincarnated' to the name, and marketed it on all the stuff they did better this time. That meant customers that were holding off because of bad reviews of the original wouldn't avoid the new improved one. (The joy of google search and blogger reviews.)

Last edited:

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Providing two choices that have differences that are unknowable to a new user is a fundamentally bad idea to anyone who does commerce as a career. So, feel free to disagree, but the people operating on Wizard's level can back it up with overwhelming amounts of experience and experimental proof.

I don’t think I ever said anything about keeping the old set around if they did a new one, but thanks for choosing the worst interpretation of my suggestion.

I absolutely think that a new and improved starter set would sell very well. Lots of people enjoy shorter length adventures.

And with that I’m out of this thread.

bmfrosty

Explorer
Totally would love to see new starter sets. Like yearly.

I'd love to see a 2018 starter set with a new adventure that's 1-4. LMoP is amazing, but I think it would be easy to rotate it and include a new adventure and new box art.

That could be done every year.

I can't see reason for a 6th edition of the rules. Maybe a 5.1 as a raft of small adjustments would be good. I think there are a lot of small changes and clarifications out there to be made that would improve the game without requiring a full new version. I think a lot of it would be incorporating a lot of what are home rules in to variant rules or class adjustments. Should a dart be a monk weapon? Should the popular critical hit variants be included in the book as variants?

My home games don't change a lot, but most of the things that they do change feel like oversights.

schnee

First Post
I don’t think I ever said anything about keeping the old set around if they did a new one, but thanks for choosing the worst interpretation of my suggestion.

If that's true...

Well some collectors would :) but i certainly think the starter set could be improved a lot so a fresh one could do that whilst also giving a second choice (with a very different adventure) to people wanting to try the game out.

^^^ What does this mean then?

:D

Last edited:

Totally would love to see new starter sets. Like yearly.

I'd love to see a 2018 starter set with a new adventure that's 1-4. LMoP is amazing, but I think it would be easy to rotate it and include a new adventure and new box art.

That could be done every year.
The Starter Set seems to be the poorest selling D&D product. So I doubt they’d want to make a new one regularly. And I doubt many people will buy more than one Starer Set, as half the contents only appeal to new players.

I can see them trying to make a better one, designed with feedback from the first and taking into consideration the needs of the current generation. Perhaps a QR code linking to a how-to-play video.

Sacrosanct

Legend
. And I doubt many people will buy more than one Starer Set, .

I happen to be one of those who bought more than one lol. One to play, and one to keep in original condition. I did the same thing with Holmes Basic back in the day. It's interesting to see both side by side. The OG compared to the new.

DDbasicsets.jpg

cmad1977

Hero
I’d absolutely buy a 2nd... and 3rd... and 4th starter set if it came with different adventures.

I don’t think that’s necessarily a great business plan for WoTC though.

Remove ads