• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 6e? Why?

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
The Starter Set seems to be the poorest selling D&D product. So I doubt they’d want to make a new one regularly. And I doubt many people will buy more than one Starer Set, as half the contents only appeal to new players.

I can see them trying to make a better one, designed with feedback from the first and taking into consideration the needs of the current generation. Perhaps a QR code linking to a how-to-play video.

The point of the starter set from a marketing perspective is to have a version of the game that can sit in non-book store focused retail and capture the market that would normally never be exposed to the brand. While it's definitely aimed at new players, its value is advertising before conversion (assuming that the units sit on a shelf and some don't actually get sold).

So creating new art for the box is occasionally going to be a good idea, and creating art specifically for certain outlets to maximize visibility (Target is mostly red and endcap space benefits from contrast) might be a good idea depending on specific metrics and location.

Do I think WoTC does this sort of analysis to increase sales. No. Do I think ASMs at big box retail do it? Yes.

However, the shift of sales from conventional retail to online and specialty sellers makes the liklihood of new versions of box sets very low.

On the matter of new content in each box set:

If the content amounted to three pages of text that could set up a map, an antagonist and some flavor for things, then I'd think it was a good idea. Better still, come up with three or four related adventures, label which one is in the box and put it out there. If the short adventures can be played on their own or as part of the line of four, and each is only 3-5 pages in length with some advice text for the novice DM, you'd sell more stuff.

I know that I can blow through a 3-5 page module in terms of writing in a day. Wouldn't take much to add some editing on the back end and give yourself something to advance sales. Absolutely no one is expecting Tomb of Annihilation in the Starter Set.

Last edited:

schnee

First Post
Ha touché!

Regardless of sales opinions, I'm in total agreement with you that the Beginner's Set can and should be thoroughly vetted and updated.

They've improved their ways of writing adventures and rulebooks over times, it would be silly to assume that the set is still perfect now. I've seen a ton of complaints about it online, so you're definitely not the only one.

bmfrosty

Explorer
On the matter of new content in each box set:

If the content amounted to three pages of text that could set up a map, an antagonist and some flavor for things, then I'd think it was a good idea. Better still, come up with three or four related adventures, label which one is in the box and put it out there. If the short adventures can be played on their own or as part of the line of four, and each is only 3-5 pages in length with some advice text for the novice DM, you'd sell more stuff.

I know that I can blow through a 3-5 page module in terms of writing in a day. Wouldn't take much to add some editing on the back end and give yourself something to advance sales. Absolutely no one is expecting Tomb of Annihilation in the Starter Set.

I'm not sure the difference between what you're talking about and what's in the starter set already.

There's an adventure that's the equivalent of 4 modules.

1) Ambushed by goblins and investigate their cave - brings you to level 2
2) Do quests within the town - brings you to level 3
3) Do quests across the countryside - brings you to level 4
4) Explore a dungeon - play this at level 4 and maybe get to 5.

This is the suggestion. New box set periodically (yearly) with a new printed mod that brings you from level 1 to level 5 at the conclusion. The first chapter of SKT did this pretty well too since the adventure was really a level 5-10 adventure where they needed a way to level up the characters quickly.

I would love to see a new box with new art and a new 1-4 mod every year. Different theme. This could also be a way for them to do new settings. Have a box set for $20 with an intro mod and enough to run through. If they want to continue to play in that world, pick up the PDFs off of dmsguild too.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
I'm not sure the difference between what you're talking about and what's in the starter set already.

There's an adventure that's the equivalent of 4 modules.

1) Ambushed by goblins and investigate their cave - brings you to level 2
2) Do quests within the town - brings you to level 3
3) Do quests across the countryside - brings you to level 4
4) Explore a dungeon - play this at level 4 and maybe get to 5.

This is the suggestion. New box set periodically (yearly) with a new printed mod that brings you from level 1 to level 5 at the conclusion. The first chapter of SKT did this pretty well too since the adventure was really a level 5-10 adventure where they needed a way to level up the characters quickly.

I would love to see a new box with new art and a new 1-4 mod every year. Different theme. This could also be a way for them to do new settings. Have a box set for $20 with an intro mod and enough to run through. If they want to continue to play in that world, pick up the PDFs off of dmsguild too.

You know what.. your idea with a different starter module based on setting is a better idea.

The difference is, I'd put out four starter sets at the same time with the different modules and let people collect.

Year or two later, put out new sets with errata and maybe different modules. Depends on sales though.

KB

bmfrosty

Explorer
You know what.. your idea with a different starter module based on setting is a better idea.

The difference is, I'd put out four starter sets at the same time with the different modules and let people collect.

Year or two later, put out new sets with errata and maybe different modules. Depends on sales though.

KB

I really just see it as a way they could do more printed level 1-4 adventures and more art boxes. If they were to do an art box a year with a new adventure exclusive to that art box for the duration of the year, I'd buy a new art box every year. Both something cool for the shelf, and a new adventure to jumpstart a campaign.

Notes on SKT chapter 1:
1) Clear out the goblin invasion of Nightstone - Brings you to level 2
2) Repel an invasion of Nightstone - Brings you to level 3
3) Clear out the things in the Dripping Caves - Brings you to level 4
4) Fly on a cloud and deal with two encounters on your way to a destination where you continue your campaign - Brings you to level 5.

I love adventures like these.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
We have a "6e When?", so why not a "6e? Why?"

"Arise, my creation, and sow destruction, I mean... discussion once more!"

What is the purpose of a 6th-edition, and what would its effect on the hobby be?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It doesn’t really matter if we need it or not, it will happen eventually. That said, it’s not happening any time soon. 5e is doing far too well for WotC to kill it yet. Maybe in another 5 years.
I actually doubt it.

Seems like they can just keep putting out “Star Wars monopoly!” Boxes forever.

Might get an anniversary reprint that cleans some stuff up, like a “5.1” update, but only forum nerds will call it a new edition.

Remove ads