Do you want Greyhawk updated to 5e?

Do you want Greyhawk updated to 5e?

• Yes! Greyhawk should be updated to the current edition.

Votes: 92 56.4%
  • No! That sounds like a terrible idea.

Votes: 40 24.5%
  • I refuse to answer polls that value my opinion.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other (will explain the comments why I can't answer yes or no to a yes or no question)

Votes: 24 14.7%

• Poll closed .
Off the top of my head without my Greyhawk material in front of me, I don't know. I'm sure someone who actually works on D&D for a living could think of some that are appropriate. Let see... a monk Archetype for the Scarlet Brotherhood might appeal to some players. Knight of the Great Kingdom for Paladins (or Fighters). Stuff like that.

The thing is, canonically, monks of the Scarlet Brotherhood are vanilla monks without any special ability. The Knights of the Great Kingdom are just an organisation - again without any canonical special abilities. You could make subclasses based on them (banneret /Oath of the Crown are fine for the Knights) but the setting doesn't need them. And it seems to me that most of the people who want Greyhawk don't want any changes made.

One thing I would do would be a bard subclass with close ties to druids. The current bard is very different to the 1st edition bard which you would expect to find in Greyhawk.

The big problem is average joe gamer can't go to his FLGS or Amazon and buy a brand new book, which is what most people buy, on playing in GH, DL or anywhere but Magic the Gathering. That sucks, so yes they ALL would be good to be updated and in print. As has been mentioned PoD is OK if FLGS, Amazon, etc can sell them too

The big problem is average joe gamer can't go to his FLGS or Amazon and buy a brand new book, which is what most people buy, on playing in GH, DL or anywhere but Magic the Gathering. That sucks, so yes they ALL would be good to be updated and in print. As has been mentioned PoD is OK if FLGS, Amazon, etc can sell them too

Why would a brand new gamer want to buy Greyhawk? I can't see why it would be of interest to anyone who hasn't been playing D&D since the 1980s.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Why would a brand new gamer want to buy Greyhawk? I can't see why it would be of interest to anyone who hasn't been playing D&D since the 1980s.

Why would a brand new gamer want to buy the Forgotten Realms? Or Dragonlance? Or Mystara? Or Dark Sun? Or whatever else? It will depend on the person and how the setting is presented.

Why would a brand new gamer want to buy the Forgotten Realms? Or Dragonlance? Or Mystara? Or Dark Sun? Or whatever else? It will depend on the person and how the setting is presented.

That's not an answer.

If a new player doesn't want to go to the trouble to create their own setting, they can buy the SCAG. What does Greyhawk offer that SCAG does not?

As for the more exotic settings, I'm pretty certain the market would be experienced players looking for something a bit different, not new players.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Sure. Greyhawk, Mystara, Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Planescape, Ebberon, I'd love for them to update all D&D settings to the 5th Edition rules over the next decade or so. Let people be as picky and choosey as they want.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
That's not an answer.

Whatever.

If a new player doesn't want to go to the trouble to create their own setting, they can buy the SCAG. What does Greyhawk offer that SCAG does not?

More scope, as SCAG is focused on a small part of the Forgotten Realms. Quasi-Arabian/Persion cultures, Quasi-Mongolin tribes, a secret society of racist monks and assassins, a land ruled by a demigod half-demon, a fractured empire in decline, pirate kingdoms, a religious fundamentalist theocracy, petty kindoms ruled by bandits, an orcish empire, an elven isle shrouded in mystery, an imprisoned mad god that seeks to destroy all of reality, and so forth. Hopefully packaged in a manner similar to WGtE in that it's more approchable to new players than SCAG.

As for the more exotic settings, I'm pretty certain the market would be experienced players looking for something a bit different, not new players.

I'm not sure that that assumption is realistic.

Last edited:

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I wonder about if D&D multiverse needs something like crisis on infinite earths or 2015 secret wars by Marvel comics. But a reboot each new edition has its own risks.

I would not want to see Crisis on Infinite D&D Settings. They would just use it as an excuse to destroy everything except Forgotten Realms.

On the other hand, a good old fashioned Crisis on Greyhawk, Athas, or Krynn---where the Forgotten Realm heroes crossover to that other setting and go on adventures to help that world (like the John Carter of Mars film)---that would be almost perfect.

I'm a DC Ape (as opposed to a Marvel Zombie), if you can't tell.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I picked "No". I would have been happy to see Greyhawk as the default setting. Happier then then overused FR. But Greyhawk doesn't need a mechanical update to 5e while other settings would, so there is a real opportunity cost in whatever setting Greyhawk would displace.

More scope, as SCAG is focused on a small part of the Forgotten Realms.

Due to limited number of pages. A Greyhawk book would have the same page number limitation, with the added drawback of starting again from scratch. You want more scope, you need books that expand on SCAG, like Waterdeap and ToA.

Hopefully packaged in a manner similar to WGtE.

I'm not sure that that assumption is realistic.

Last edited:

Remove ads