Votes: 16 15.2%
  • d12

Votes: 59 56.2%
  • d20

Votes: 45 42.9%

• Poll closed .

bid

First Post
What could be cooler than pentagonal faces?
Certainly not its fat twin that keep on rolling.

Anyone remembers the d66 tables?

Regular polyhedra all the way, send those fakers to Pluto.

EDIT: Gon is the 2D world. Thx Harzel for the hedra!

Last edited:

Harzel

Adventurer
What could be cooler than pentagonal faces?
Certainly not its fat twin that keep on rolling.

Anyone remembers the d66 tables?

Regular polygons all the way, send those fakers to Pluto.

*polyhedra*
(Unless you were referring to the faces.)

The regular dodecahedron vexes me. Why do its faces have to be pentagons? What has five got to do with twelve? It's the one number less than six that isn't a factor of twelve! The rhombic dodecahedron is the d12 of a gentleperson, its bold geometry made up of pleasantly twelve-making fours and threes, just far enough outside the Platonic mainstream to be intriguing but not so far as to be vulgar. And for the truly avant-garde, there is the secret rhombic dodecahedron, the Bilinski dodecahedron, only discovered in the 1970s, with its lean and efficient golden-ratioed faces. If somebody shows up at your table with a Bilinski d12, you can be sure they are on the very cutting edge of science and engineering. Because they clearly have access to a 3D printer. Because I haven't seen Bilinskis on sale anywhere.

guachi

Hero
d12 is the best and I chose d4 for second best because I like Legos.

I love d12 so much that I switched d20 skill rolls in my D&D game to a d12+d8. d12 just isn't rolled enough. d12+d8 is interesting because results 9-13 all have the same chance to occur. 2e suggested using this for random monster tables as you could put five common monsters in the 9-13 spots and each would be equally likely to occur.

Arial Black

Adventurer
Obviously d12 is top, d20 second.

If I could downvote then it would be the d10. It's not even a platonic solid! It's an interloper, a cheater, a crutch that we don't need.

Back when I was alive we had a die with 20 faces numbered 0 to 9, twice. It might be that one set of 0 to 9 had a little + sign, or it might be that one set was coloured and the other wasn't, but this little beauty could be read as a d20 (by adding 10 to the coloured/plussed set), a d10 (by just reading the number) or as a d100 (by either rolling it twice with the first roll being the tens column and the second as the units, or by rolling two of them having pre-designated one as the tens and the other as the units).

As a d10 or a d20, the 0 was read as 10. As percentile, 0 was read as zero, but double 0 was 100.

If that kind of d20 was still around it would overtake the d12. Just.

Horwath

Legend
D6 All the way.

I will change all weapon damage to d6 like Dragon age rpg.

I.E:
dagger 1d6-1
shortsword 1d6
longsword 1d6+1
halberd 1d6+2
greatsword 2d6

In this variant crit would double ALL damage.

On topic: I hate d4 with a passion, I always roll d8 instead and treat 5,6,7,8 as 1,2,3,4.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
You know when you get that piece of equipment delivered at home and you open the box and totally discard the instructions because in your excitement, you know how to build this thing. It should be obvious right?. Instructions are for losers, right?
Don't read the instructions.

I didn't read the instructions, and therefore I am the reason the poll has an odd number.

.....Sorry.....

akr71

Hero
Does a d4 even 'roll'? It just falls from your hand with a very unsatisfying plop onto the table. Very disappointing...

However, I've bought myself a couple of the 'spindle' d4 that look like a stretched d6.
d4-crystal-oblivion-red_large.png

The symmetry of the d12 is a thing of beauty - too bad it is so often neglected.

d20 for me. It just screams rpg! Pick me up, roll me, spin me like a top! B-)

Remove ads