D&D 5E Halfling Darksun (Athasian) Variant.

Zardnaar

Legend
Just wondering what you guys think of this halfling mechanical. Would you play it in a non Darksun game for example. Note it replaces the PHB Halfling as Athas doesn't use subraces as such and th PHB halfling gets some abilities that are not that applicable to Athas.

Ability Score Increase: +2 dex, +1 Wisdom
Size: Sall (as PHB)
Speed 25.
Halfling nimbleness (as PHB)
Ancient Wisdom: You gain advantage on any saving throw, skill check or attack roll. You may use this ability again once you complete a short or long rest.
Resilience: As PHB stout

Its basically a different ability score modification and replaces halfling luck with the ancient wisdom ability.

Coroc

Hero
Yupp. plus the disad on charisma skills vs everyone who witness the Halfling feasting on some humanoid meal.

Other than that I totally steal this, because I already thought about how to replace lucky for athasian halflings, since it does not fit neither fluff nor crunch wise.

How would you rule on darkvision for Athasian races? I would tend to cancel it for all PC races, because Athasian dwarves do not really live underground and elves are mainly in the desert sun, and even at night the sand reflects enough light for good vision so there is no reason anyone should have it.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yupp. plus the disad on charisma skills vs everyone who witness the Halfling feasting on some humanoid meal.

Other than that I totally steal this, because I already thought about how to replace lucky for athasian halflings, since it does not fit neither fluff nor crunch wise.

How would you rule on darkvision for Athasian races? I would tend to cancel it for all PC races, because Athasian dwarves do not really live underground and elves are mainly in the desert sun, and even at night the sand reflects enough light for good vision so there is no reason anyone should have it.

If they had darkvision/infravision in 2E let them have it in 5E. It wasn't that long ago with the cleansing wars so presumably they would have it from the old times.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I think Advantage once per short rest is a lot stronger then most races features. Not quite as strong as the primary ability of the Samurai subclass (that lasts a whole round each time), but not much weaker and it cane be used for things besides attack.

guachi

Hero
It's very straightforward. I like that. You have a rationale for your change and it's not so elaborate it's hard to remember

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=20564]Blue[/MENTION] The "Lucky " trait of the standard Halfling allows to reroll each 1 of a d20 also the brave trait allows advantage vs. fear without limit. I do not think that [MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION] 's ancient wisdom overcompensates the lack of these two traits, it does not look overpowered in any way to me as it is a limited resource.

Given that in a DS campaign short rests might not be that frequent its recharge is depending on some outer condition that cannot be affected by the players.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm tweaking the healing rate. A lot of the old DS adventures are similar to hex crawls with lots of travel. Less Dungeon hacking so 6 to encounters a long rest doesn't work so well. A lot of short rest mechanic's won't matter as my conversions don't have most archetypes and new classes since 3.0.
The races will also be power crept a bit since I don't think feat combos will matter either.

Coroc

Hero
Keep it up Zardnaar, the stuff you did so far to convert DS to 5e is the most convincing here on this forum. Although I do not like all your houserules, I love the solid baseline with which you try to reflect 2e DS feeling.

Zardnaar

Legend
Keep it up Zardnaar, the stuff you did so far to convert DS to 5e is the most convincing here on this forum. Although I do not like all your houserules, I love the solid baseline with which you try to reflect 2e DS feeling.

I'll be doing a Wanderers Guide to Athas thread hopefully soon. Probably rewrite the races.

Remove ads