Why doesn't the help action have more limits and down sides?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
That's just the d20, and he's 1st level, an 'Apprentice' thief.
The backgrounds rules seem to suggest that your character didn't just wake up yesterday and start learning how to thieve, similarly for how hard it is to get new proficiencies. If we're talking about (say) thieve's tool proficiency, you've had 1400 hours of training from a master. For comparison purposes becoming a commercial airline pilot requires 1500 hours of flying, of which less than 50 requires you to be supervised.
That's BA. We've already had the fun of the other extreme, in 3e, when you could have tripple-digit bonuses to your d20 check.
And? It only mattered because people wrote stupid high DCs into the game instead of saying "that's just impossible". If we keep the 5e DCs, a modifier of +100 would mean that your character could routinely succeed on 'almost impossible' tasks. Guess what? In 5e you can already build a character that does that, and it's not even very hard - it's a logical conclusion of the rogue class, plus some minor boosts. So if you can already hit the top end, why does making the low end higher matter?
So, again, artifact of the d20. Using 2d10 or 3d6 could even that out for you, a bit, if it's that annoying...
That still requires you to re-evaluate most DCs because you've changed the spread of the dice. Personally I think that increasing the proficient bonus for skills pretty much covers it - right now anyone who isn't uber-skill-guy finishes out their career unable to reliably hit even a hard DC in their chosen fields of expertise. Doubling it puts things in a much better place.
You are, indeed, supposed to narrate success or failure quite a bit. Don't call for a roll if success or failure would be ludicrous, just narrate failure or success, respectively.
Right - which is basically "the skill system is so bad you should avoid using it if at all possible". It also doesn't really work if you're talking about things that you're unfamiliar with, or if you don't know which member of a group is trying something.
Not that the keystone cops edition of D&D wouldn't be fun to run now and then (hey, fast combat!). ;P
Great if you can bring some of the positives of that along, but if it's just "characters fail at things they should be good at", it's pratfalls without hilarity most of the time.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I mean, pretty much the same mechancs apply to combat checks - prof + ability vs dc... Are your fighters not seen as better than your wizards at srabby stabby stuff too?

At first level, their strength bonus applies to not just the initial roll, but also the damage dealt, and they can use substantially larger weapons.

Going from an 8 strength character with no proficiency to a 20 strength, trained in athletics character at level (say) levels 5-8 takes a DC 10 check from a 50% chance of failure to a 5% chance of failure. You will only notice the difference between them on 45% of rolls, and if the penalty for failure is substantial, the high strength character can't assume they will succeed on the check. If your players are going to leap over fiery chasms because they've got athletics and a good strength, then a disproportionately high percentage of characters who die falling into chasms will be characters who should be good at handling them.

Going from an 8 strength wizard to a 20 strength wizard changes the result of only 30% of attack rolls... and also almost triples the damage that a hit will do, even if they both use the biggest weapon (1d8) that wizards have access to.

Going from an 8 strength wizard to a 20 strength fighter changes 30% of attack rolls, PLUS more than triples the damage of each hit, PLUS you get a second attack, and that's before you even look at defense.

So yeah - skill proficiencies look nothing like combat stats in terms of the difference they make.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The backgrounds rules seem to suggest that your character didn't just wake up yesterday and start learning how to thieve,
1st level is the start of the 'Apprentice' Tier.

That still requires you to re-evaluate most DCs because you've changed the spread of the dice.
2d10 just pulls the distribution in, so the results are more consistent. Your aspiring master thief with a +5, fails DC 10 only 6% of the time, rather than 20%, for instance.

Right - which is basically "the skill system is so bad you should avoid using it if at all possible".
Narrating success or failure in the absence of uncertainty, /is/ the skill system.

Last edited:

5ekyu

Hero
At first level, their strength bonus applies to not just the initial roll, but also the damage dealt, and they can use substantially larger weapons.

Going from an 8 strength character with no proficiency to a 20 strength, trained in athletics character at level (say) levels 5-8 takes a DC 10 check from a 50% chance of failure to a 5% chance of failure. You will only notice the difference between them on 45% of rolls, and if the penalty for failure is substantial, the high strength character can't assume they will succeed on the check. If your players are going to leap over fiery chasms because they've got athletics and a good strength, then a disproportionately high percentage of characters who die falling into chasms will be characters who should be good at handling them.

Going from an 8 strength wizard to a 20 strength wizard changes the result of only 30% of attack rolls... and also almost triples the damage that a hit will do, even if they both use the biggest weapon (1d8) that wizards have access to.

Going from an 8 strength wizard to a 20 strength fighter changes 30% of attack rolls, PLUS more than triples the damage of each hit, PLUS you get a second attack, and that's before you even look at defense.

So yeah - skill proficiencies look nothing like combat stats in terms of the difference they make.
Uhh..

Ok so some aspects of the skill system include things like tool and even things like must have tools to try and such, which seems at least in the same avenue as using bigger weapons, if not more severe.

Also, just as with combat, a lot of other factors can add in, like feats and class abilities (notice quitea few places where you can double or triple jump distance. Especially by the time one gets to having 20 strength on your wizards. Advantage on skill checks are available from quite a few options as are...

You get the picture?

It seems though that if you want to pick down micro-slices of the game as it apllies to a given sub-system, you can probably conctruct a reason to see a fault you were looking for...

But again i ask the big summary question... In your games across the play of the game (not "if i cut out a lot of things that realky can be in play to make a point, actual play experience over time") is it true that you see significant difference between good at and not my thing as play progresses? Do your guys who make a point of "good at hiding/sneaking" or "good at persuasion" show over the campaign and play significant benefits from that or are they hardly shown as better than say the bruiser who still has his 10 and no bother at those at all?

If so, thats very different from what i have seen expressed and seen in play and i find it amusing that in the same thread we have some arguing the flawed system cuz it makes DCs not work cuz too easy and another arguing the goid at skills vs not good at skills is so barely noticeable.

Anyway...

Wyvern

Explorer
If that's really what the book says, then the designers prove themselves somewhat foolish, or very flexible with language at least. I wouldn't count "45% of the time" to be "can usually be done by".

Where are you getting 45% from? The chance of success on a DC 10 skill check with a +0 modifier is 55%. In other words, a DC 10 task is one that a complete rookie with no training and no particular natural aptitude will get right on their first try more often than not. If it's something that they can make a second attempt at, the chance of success increases to nearly 80%. That doesn't seem so unreasonable for an "Easy" task. If you think it's unreasonable, by all means, change the DC to whatever you think is appropriate.

Wyvern

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
1st level is the start of the 'Apprentice' Tier.
"In the first tier (levels 1-4), characters are effectively apprentice adventurers."

There's also the question of to whom they're apprenticed to, and the examples in character creation which make it seem like being a high up in the thieves guild and a master assassin still plonk you as a starting character. I don't think a lot of thought went into the name.
2d10 just pulls the distribution in, so the results are more consistent. Your aspiring master thief with a +5, fails DC 10 only 6% of the time, rather than 20%, for instance.
Which is definitely better, but adjusting higher DCs becomes more complex - how often does he succeed at a DC 15 (about half the time, same as before) or 20?(6%). I'm not saying it's a bad system, just that the DC adjustments if you want to maintain similar results are hard.
Narrating success or failure in the absence of uncertainty, /is/ the skill system.
No, narrating success or failure is the most successful and straightforward bit of the skill system, and it also happens to be intrinsic to all RPGs. The actual D&D specific bit where you use proficiencies and stat modifiers and a roll just ruins that elegant simplicity, while adding confusion and toil for all involved :p

Ok so some aspects of the skill system include things like tool and even things like must have tools to try and such, which seems at least in the same avenue as using bigger weapons, if not more severe.
Thematically, yes. Numerically, not at all, even slightly. Also as I pointed out, even without different weapons, strength roughly triples the damage you do in combat before you even think about changing hit rolls.
Also, just as with combat, a lot of other factors can add in, like feats and class abilities (notice quitea few places where you can double or triple jump distance. Especially by the time one gets to having 20 strength on your wizards. Advantage on skill checks are available from quite a few options as are...
Jump distance isn't actually part of the skill system. Jumps are fixed based on your strength score.
You get the picture?

It seems though that if you want to pick down micro-slices of the game as it apllies to a given sub-system, you can probably conctruct a reason to see a fault you were looking for...
"looking closely at things exposes their flaws". A wise sentiment.
But again i ask the big summary question... In your games across the play of the game (not "if i cut out a lot of things that realky can be in play to make a point, actual play experience over time") is it true that you see significant difference between good at and not my thing as play progresses? Do your guys who make a point of "good at hiding/sneaking" or "good at persuasion" show over the campaign and play significant benefits from that or are they hardly shown as better than say the bruiser who still has his 10 and no bother at those at all?
The single biggest difference I see is what people attempt, not what they succeed at. This typically means that those best at skills are those that fail them the most simply by virtue of nobody else even trying them. On passive skills (ie - skills I ask the players to roll), I honestly don't see a lot of difference between our high perception scout character and our leap before you look rogue.

Honestly, the game would be indistinguishable if there were no proficiencies and I just rolled 50/50 each time a character attempted something.
If so, thats very different from what i have seen expressed and seen in play and i find it amusing that in the same thread we have some arguing the flawed system cuz it makes DCs not work cuz too easy and another arguing the goid at skills vs not good at skills is so barely noticeable.
I actually am arguing the opposite in the other thread - that skilled characters SHOULD automatically succeed at low DCs, because this prevents the effect I see above: where the guy who is good at climbing mountains dies climbing a mountain, because he's the only person who tried it and his skill, despite being the best possible skill for his level, isn't good enough to keep him alive while performing an easy task.

Where are you getting 45% from? The chance of success on a DC 10 skill check with a +0 modifier is 55%. In other words, a DC 10 task is one that a complete rookie with no training and no particular natural aptitude will get right on their first try more often than not. If it's something that they can make a second attempt at, the chance of success increases to nearly 80%. That doesn't seem so unreasonable for an "Easy" task. If you think it's unreasonable, by all means, change the DC to whatever you think is appropriate.
Good point, but my statement stands even at 55%. If someone says that they "usually" do something, I expect it to be significantly more than 50%.
I won't include the second attempt bit - for a lot of these, one attempt is all you get, and if what the authors meant was "usually, as long as they can keep trying until they succeed", then they're being even more liberal with the meaning of language, and if you're not limiting attempts, then that's a rationale for DC 20 to be called easy.
Finally - it doesn't really matter, because regardless of the DC I pick, there is no sensible outcome for most skills. A trained blacksmith should have a 100% success rate at making horseshoes, but does that mean an uneducated layman should succeed at it 60% of the time? How does that same scenario play out with a fundamental skill that everyone should have, like perception? How does any con man ever pull off any con, when he has to test his skill against every sense motive in the room (even if they're just flat rolls, most of the time he's caught)?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Right - which is basically "the skill system is so bad you should avoid using it if at all possible".

Another way of looking at it might be the the mechanics are set up to feed back into the basic conversation of the game and contribute to the goals of play. If a player knows that the fickle d20 combined with a relatively high chance of failure can lead to bad results, we might reasonably expect to see players trying to avoid rolling. How does one avoid rolling? By removing the chance of failure and/or the meaningful consequence of failure. How does one do that? By describing what you want to do in a clear, cogent manner that achieves one or both of the things that negates the roll. And considering that the goals of play are everyone having fun and creating an exciting, memorable story by playing, players being encouraged to think about the game more to avoid rolling and describing their actions better - as in an actual story - we might reasonably conclude that the system is working as designed.

Last edited:

5ekyu

Hero
"In the first tier (levels 1-4), characters are effectively apprentice adventurers."

There's also the question of to whom they're apprenticed to, and the examples in character creation which make it seem like being a high up in the thieves guild and a master assassin still plonk you as a starting character. I don't think a lot of thought went into the name.

Which is definitely better, but adjusting higher DCs becomes more complex - how often does he succeed at a DC 15 (about half the time, same as before) or 20?(6%). I'm not saying it's a bad system, just that the DC adjustments if you want to maintain similar results are hard.

No, narrating success or failure is the most successful and straightforward bit of the skill system, and it also happens to be intrinsic to all RPGs. The actual D&D specific bit where you use proficiencies and stat modifiers and a roll just ruins that elegant simplicity, while adding confusion and toil for all involved :p

Thematically, yes. Numerically, not at all, even slightly. Also as I pointed out, even without different weapons, strength roughly triples the damage you do in combat before you even think about changing hit rolls.

Jump distance isn't actually part of the skill system. Jumps are fixed based on your strength score.

The single biggest difference I see is what people attempt, not what they succeed at. This typically means that those best at skills are those that fail them the most simply by virtue of nobody else even trying them. On passive skills (ie - skills I ask the players to roll), I honestly don't see a lot of difference between our high perception scout character and our leap before you look rogue.

Honestly, the game would be indistinguishable if there were no proficiencies and I just rolled 50/50 each time a character attempted something.

I actually am arguing the opposite in the other thread - that skilled characters SHOULD automatically succeed at low DCs, because this prevents the effect I see above: where the guy who is good at climbing mountains dies climbing a mountain, because he's the only person who tried it and his skill, despite being the best possible skill for his level, isn't good enough to keep him alive while performing an easy task.

Good point, but my statement stands even at 55%. If someone says that they "usually" do something, I expect it to be significantly more than 50%.
I won't include the second attempt bit - for a lot of these, one attempt is all you get, and if what the authors meant was "usually, as long as they can keep trying until they succeed", then they're being even more liberal with the meaning of language, and if you're not limiting attempts, then that's a rationale for DC 20 to be called easy.
Finally - it doesn't really matter, because regardless of the DC I pick, there is no sensible outcome for most skills. A trained blacksmith should have a 100% success rate at making horseshoes, but does that mean an uneducated layman should succeed at it 60% of the time? How does that same scenario play out with a fundamental skill that everyone should have, like perception? How does any con man ever pull off any con, when he has to test his skill against every sense motive in the room (even if they're just flat rolls, most of the time he's caught)?

hmm... longer reply got snagged by the net and drowned...

high points

Re master assassin first level PCs requirements
sorry but the PHB allows start at higher levels. it even gives guidelines of sorts. if you have a problem with a character concept not meshing with level at start - thats between you and your Gm/deciders.

Re tolls success failure damage combat etc...
Tools can be a source of disadvantage if they are not available - just like weapon proficiency can. They can even be a case for auto-failure. That seems to be in the same avenue as how weapon proficiencies work.

You seem hung up on the skills-pass/fail vs weapons -pass/fail and then damage.

IF that is a problem for you, then i suggest investing in a DMG where a number of options for more robust/complicated skill options are presented. There are even critical success and fail as well as degrees of failure, success at cost etc. if these explicitly dont give you a parity you like, they can at least serve as guidelines for house rules to suit your specific needs or preferences.

As for chance of failure, the DMg also provides several "auto-success" options for skills including ones which would cover the case of very low DC checks. Some of them seem very similar to how the one for jumping is handled - a basic level of success based on attribute score and the skill roll option if you need higher.

Jump not being part of the skill system - "fixed based on your strength score" - see the athletics skill. Like the DMG options for auto-success - they have a defined minimum and a skill check for more process setup for jumps.

As for the outlook about counting failures for thosewho try and only those skilled trying...

i doubt anyone would count me as a great skater just because i have never failed a triple axle jump. perhaps a perspective of looking at what they do, not what they never try is a better approach. Your gnome isn't a better greatweapon fighter than the orc because the orc has missed with his greataxe and the gnome has never swung one, right?

perhaps just look at it this way - choosing to not even try is failure too.

As for your game being indistinguishable on the whole from a 50/50 on attempt, that is again i have to say coming from your GM and players interactions. In my games, even by tier-2 the success rate climb noticably even besides the things no longer a bother at all. perhaps a dialog with your Gm and looking at some of the DMG options for auto-success could help get to a place you both like better - but if it is his choice to emulate other systems where DC automatically scale upward to keep the checks at 50/50 over the long haul - thats more a case of different preferences.

Either way, its not 5e base rules or even options really that cause that 50/50 outcome - from my experience. They certainly *allow* the Gm to make it so, but they dont require it or even endorse it.

5ekyu

Hero

In order - blacksmith vs layman - rules allow the Gm to require tool proficiency... so for tasks that layman cannot do the GM can rule proficiency is required - as shown in thieves tools and iirc other places.

Con arttist - well, that depends on how the Gm choose to handle it. Most of the times a con artist will work to get the mark alone - isolating a mark is one key element to certain cons - just look at how many "self-help" scams push the "cut away folks who tell you we are full of crap" as part of their "cleansing" right before they start hitting you for bucks.

For other cons, "convincing the room" is easier than convincing the individual - as getting a few on board gives you "reinforcement" and also gives you a number of easy marks in the crowd to influence then go spread the word. In these cases the Gm could easily allow advantage for choosing the right tact to the right situation - i would do so especially if the character had worked the crowd for a while before hand, getting to know the marks and the tough sells to maximize their benefit. That would be done by using their own sense motives and spending time perhaps downtime activity to spread drinks and make friends - even by means of an accomplish or shill - that would be easily an example of the help action.

ideally said con man if they realized there was a hard case they could not fool even with advantage, they would time their crowd con for when that person was absent.

Are you really looking for a skill resolution systems that just handles all that without any actual play thru and planning - just die roll and done? Cuz you seem to not be happy that it doesn't handle it without using these tools/options already there in the rules.

But really it all still boils down to if you are unhappy with how your Gm is allowing skills to play out in your game, talk to them about how they are doing it and how they would like to see you engage these options or more. if player and Gm are on different pages of such a complex system, there will always be problems.

CapnZapp

Legend
What, so I'm supposed to buy and read every campaign book that WotC has published and try to guess at which DCs are the ones you take exception to? No thank you. If you want to start a new thread to critique a specific adventure, then you can reasonably expect people to familiarize themselves with the source material before engaging in debate with you. But I'm not trying to defend a specific adventure or a particular writer; I was just pointing out that there *are* valid reasons for having low-level DCs in a higher-level adventure.

Wyvern
Sure, and I'm criticizing the absurdly low DCs of official 5E modules.

Remove ads