• Prone to Bribes

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Adaptability

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Acting

Votes: 0 0.0%

Shiroiken

Legend
Oof... choosing only 1 is rough. I'm voting based on what the DM excels at, rather than a needed component. Every DM needs SOME level of organization, communication, game knowledge, and reliability, or no one will play. There are many DMs, however, that excel at these, which are a major bonus to the game.

I went with World Master, because if the world doesn't interest me, then I just cannot get into the game. My regular DM normally runs FR, and was a sage of Realms Lore. He's currently running a homebrew world that's fascinating, and it's cool to explore and discover new knowledge of the world.

1st Runner Up
Adaptability is a bonus IMO, because players NEVER do the expected. A DM that can roll with the punches, never letting the players know what was planned, and what wasn't, makes for an awesome game. Of course, I'd like to think this is my best trait as a DM, so I'm probably biased.

2nd Runner Up
I'd go with Storytelling, but I feel that DMs should incorporate the dice results into the story, rather than ignoring the results for the sake of the story (of course, a good DM won't allow the story to be ruined by a die roll anyway). The campaigns I remember best had excellent stories, even if they weren't successful by most standards.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Great question. The just-one poll choice - as intended - was a tough point. I went back and forth several times, but finally went for adaptability. I see this from two aspects.

One is improv - being able to do an entertaining, rewards, and meaningful session when you are completely off your tracks. (But that has Organization as a foundation for that, since if you know the big picture it's much easier to have a meaningful slice of it.)

The other side is related to but different from letting the players control the story. Even with the players controlling just their PC actions, if you are able to adapt your campaign arcs and everything around both what the characters do and what the players express interest in. Grant the players agency. It's not the poll option of a shared narrative (though it works well hand-in-hand with that if your table like that), it's being able to kill your darlings, let go of your plans and run with what the PCs have done and what the players want to see more of.

Raith5

Adventurer
'Letting players run the story' is important to me. RPGs are at their best when players are given responsibility to push the story forward. It is a rare DM that sets up a world, characters and challenges and give latitude to the characters to mess it all up!

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'd like to add another poll option (not that we can): Tension/Pacing.

When a DM can keep you riding the edge of your seat, not knowing if you will survive or even knowing you won't - there's a talent there. Not only questioning if you can survive the airship crashing, but also keep it airborn long enough to give you some distance between the entire battalion of orcs you were bombing who are now roaring after you in full pursuit.

The other side of tension is knowing when to give a relief so that you can tension it back later. Keeping the pacing between tense moments, comic and other clear-the-air moments, and building towards an appropriate climax with rising and falling tension.

This is a different, complementary ability to storytelling as described for this poll.

Harzel

Adventurer
I'm going with communication with adapability in second, because the relative importance of all the others depends on what the players are seeking. Communication, on the other hand, is what (maybe, eventually) allows you to determine what the players are seeking, and adaptability is needed to (maybe, eventually) deliver it.

In other matters...
Also, apparently there are only two people on this forum who have more XP than me (Morrus and Gary Gygax himself), so I'm pimping myself out to catch Morrus. :D I'm kidding of course, I really am curious to see how people view good DM traits lol.

1) [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION], ironically the first to respond to your thread, has more XP than you. Did he not mention it because he is gracious or just oblivious? Inquiring minds want to know.

2) I don't believe you're kidding. (Just kidding. :))

3) *musing to self* So now that he has made an issue of it, do I give [MENTION=15700]Sacrosanct[/MENTION] XP because being nearby I may bask in his reflected glory, or do I withhold, hoping to someday catch up and be King of the Neighborhood? Choices, choices...

Of course a DM needs a little bit of all of these. But if I were to choose based on what a lot of DM's tend to be bad at, I would say adaptability. You can be the best storyteller and world builder in the universe, but if you can't adapt to the actions of your players, and to sudden changes to the story based on their actions, then your players may not enjoy the story/world as much.

A lot of DM's in my opinion, struggle to adapt to changes in the story caused by the players. What happens if the players end up defeating the bad guy way earlier than you intended? Where does the story go from there? You need to be able to adapt.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Given only one choice, I picked Player incorporation.

Organization, communication, adaptability, etc. are all very important BUT if the players aren't incorporated into the game well, the experience is severely lacking.

On the other hand, even if the DM is a disorganized mess, who barely knows the rules - if the players are engaged, immersed and having fun - it can still be a great experience.

In my years of gaming, the two worst / most frustrating experiences I've had as a player involved lack of player incorporation.

The first was a RIFTS game where the DM had an amazing world, knew it inside and out and put the players in fun scenarios. The problem was, ultimately the players were spectators whos actions didn't matter one bit. The NPCs (and therefore the DM) DICTATED and drove the story. We the players, may as well have been watching a slightly interactive movie.

The second one was a Deadlands game where of the group of 6 players, EVERYTHING revolved around 2 of them. The rest of us were barely window dressing. It was immensely frustrating to realize that this was happening and that it wasn't going to change (the DM acted like he was open to communication but ultimately changed nothing).

On the other hand, even if the DM is a disorganized mess, who barely knows the rules - if the players are engaged, immersed and having fun - it can still be a great experience.

I bet that when many of us first started with D&D, we were all pretty disorganized, messy and not well informed about the game's rules. And yet it didn't stop us from having fun.

Commenting each:
Organization: Does the DM have the adventure memorized, papers in order, bookmarks, maps and minis organized, etc
I don't think 5e requires much of this. I use the official adventure paths and I pretty much don't prepare at all, I read it up once it becomes relevant. I can do that easily because I play online. Of course in real life, it might suck for the player having to wait a bit in between, but from my DM-viewpoint I simple enjoy it much more if I explore the world and the dungeons together with the players rather than knowing everything beforehand.

Communication ability: Can the DM communicate the adventure well, and articulate his or her thoughts effectively. Can the DM listen well to different styles of the players themselves
Most important globally. I picked communication mainly because if you talk with your players and figure out what they want and also get them to support you, then you are automatically better at all other tasks.

Letting players run the story: Regardless of what the adventure says, is the DM willing to change all of that if the players want to do things differently. Do the players dictate more of what's going on in the game world. More of a shared story, as opposed to the players only controlling their own PC
I actually hate players that want to derail the story. BUT giving players some DM powers can really help to remove workload off me. So like if a player asks me to describe the area in more detail but the adventure path doesn't specify it in particular I might go say "feel free to tell me and I'll work with that". It often helps to give the surroundings a lot more details without putting all the work on me to think of something and then I use every input I get.

Being a fair referee (objective): Regardless of anything else, is the DM fair and impartial, even if it means things might not go the way the players want.
Honestly if you asked my personal opinion, I'd say "rule strictness" is most important for me. Because DMs house-ruling or not knowing the rules properly is what makes me not want to be a player and is the core reason why I'm a DM and not a player. But I don't think this is globally the most important trait.

Game knowledge: The DM knows all or most of the rules, how things work, and has intimate knowledge of the setting
As said above, knowing the game rules is very important, HOWEVER, I don't think it's the DMs responsibility to know all class feats and stuff out of their head. In fact, I say it's player responsibility to tell the DM what feats apply on their actions. So game knowledge beyond the basic rules is not important.

Storytelling: Does the DM do a great job telling the story. More narrative than the above choice of players telling the story, and the story takes precedence over the dice rolls determining outcome
This is were I suck at and I openly admit to that when recruiting players, but even though I can't do it, I definitely appreciate if a DM can do it well. On the other hand, I'm completely happy with a dungeon crawl. So of average importance.

[World Master/Creativity: The DM runs a really good living world, where NPCs and monsters act and behave like living creatures, often independent of whatever the PCs might have been doing. The world is there to explore, and the PCs have the responsibility to take care. I.e., the DM won't remove the clan of ogres living in the hills just because the level 1 PCs decided to venture up there.
Well, yeah I strictly stick to the adventure paths, so if my players go into a region with monsters way above their level, those monsters are there. But that's not what's important. What's important is that a good DM gives the players some kind of warning or a way to survive. A good DM makes players think it's their own fault that they died (if they do).
Having creatures act realistically even if the PCs are not there is dumb and unimportant. Giving the players the impression of a living world is what's important. Still not too important, though.

Reliability: Does the DM always show up to sessions, and on time?
Very important. Really could be considered the most important thing because if a DM just doesn't show up, he's dead to me and will never see me again. It's an absolute requirement that I expect of every DM and also every player.

Player incorporation: Does the DM make an active effort to incorporate all players into the game equally? Whether it be doing things to allow every PC to shine, or actually engaging players themselves who might not be so forward to contribute because they don't have the stronger personalities of the group
Definitely important, but also a bit player responsibility. And it really is the same a "communication". Players need to involve themselves into the game, if they don't, a good DM will notice and then put that player aside and say "I feel like you're not really enjoying the game much, you hardly participate in the role-playing and the only thing you ever say during combat is >I attack X<. Can I do something to make it more enjoyable for you and get your more involved? Also note that if you don't enjoy the game you don't have to force yourself to stay."

Prone to bribes: Give the DM some food, good things will happen to your PC
Uh... nope. Well, it's important that a DM treats players equal even if he gets bribed.

Adaptability: Unplanned things happen. This DM is good at changing things on the fly and making the adventure continue smoothly
I'm surprised so many people vote for that. I'm not really very adaptable and I don't really want to be either. I want my players to follow the adventure as intended and would go so far and tell them OOC that I rather not want them to do >that<. But HONESTLY, I don't really even run into that problem because I present the players options and secretly manipulate them into doing what I want them to do without them noticing. I also make sure that my players always have multiple things they can do so they don't feel railroaded, but I still have all the options ready and don't need to adapt.

So I'd say adaptability is not important at all.

But I guess differentiating between small scale and large scale adaptability makes sense here. Small scale adaptability for me is if a PC has some cool idea during combat, wants to do an acrobatic stunt, wants to taunt the enemies, wants to hit the eye of his enemy to blind it. Obviously here adaptability is fairly important. Nobody wants a DM who says "That's not in the rules, please do a normal attack or use the help action".
But large scale adaptability in terms of "Let's not go to the dungeon the DM obviously wants us to visit and instead travel from town to town and build a castle with all the gold we accumulated" is where I'd say it's perfectly fine if the DM just says "No" here.

I think people often forget that the DM also should have fun playing, not just the players. Having to make up things on the fly can be exhaustening and not very fun.

Acting: The DM brings life to the NPCs' personalities, and does a great job setting the atmosphere of the adventure
Same as with storytelling, I openly tell when recruiting players that I suck at roleplaying and am way more rule and combat focused, so my players are usually the types of players who can deal with that or even enjoy the rule and combat focus.
I appreciate when other DMs are good at it, but I'm just like "Can you please stop talking to NPCs in town and go to the next dungeon already? I already gave you all information available in the AP!"
Average importance.

I think the difference between a good DM and a great DM is pacing and the ability to keep the table and story flowing. A DM who can tell when the players are talking in circles and push them to wrap things up, and keep the action moving, while also managing to pace the session for a decent climax or cliffhanger.

Remove ads