So is it official now? Counterspelling

AriochQ

Adventurer
That’s only a rule about bonus action spells. If you cast a regular action spell and then reaction counterspell that rule doesn’t apply since you didn’t use any bonus action spells right?

Correct. That is why I was so precise in my language on my original post. It is a fairly rare circumstance, as I outlined above.

Oofta

Legend
This
From PHB: Casting Time: Bonus Action: A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven't already taken a bonus action this turn. You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

If there is another rule that overrides the rule above, I am unaware of it.

Seems to contradict sage advice, or maybe it's just an edge case? In other words, using your reaction to counterspell on your turn is allowed unless you are or already have cast a bonus action spell.

So you can't counterspell the counterspell of a Misty Step. You couldn't counterspell the counterspell of your cantrip after you've cast that bonus action spell. You can only do it if casting a standard leveled spell that is not a bonus action.

AriochQ

Adventurer
This

Seems to contradict sage advice, or maybe it's just an edge case? In other words, using your reaction to counterspell on your turn is allowed unless you are or already have cast a bonus action spell.

So you can't counterspell the counterspell of a Misty Step. You couldn't counterspell the counterspell of your cantrip after you've cast that bonus action spell. You can only do it if casting a standard leveled spell that is not a bonus action.

It doesn't contradict SA since they don't mention bonus action casting in their response. They tend to do that alot. Give very curt answers that raise more questions rather than explain the ruling. It is an edge case but does pop up on occasion. It can even be used to a characters, or NPCs, advantage once you are aware of it.

All the scenario's you presented are correct.

The best way to think about the casting limitation is to really phrase it as a rule about 'Bonus Action Spells' and not about spell casting in general. That is why a PC with Action Surge could actually cast two standard action spells in the same turn (given they don't cast a bonus action spell that turn), plus a reaction spell. You could even cast more as a wild magic sorcerer if you get a surge that allows you to take an additional action immediately (81-82 on the table). Theoretically, there is no limit to the number of spells you can cast a turn (if you continue to surge) assuming you DON'T cast a bonus action spell.

Oofta

Legend
It doesn't contradict SA since they don't mention bonus action casting in their response. They tend to do that alot. Give very curt answers that raise more questions rather than explain the ruling. It is an edge case but does pop up on occasion. It can even be used to a characters, or NPCs, advantage once you are aware of it.

All the scenario's you presented are correct.

The best way to think about the casting limitation is to really phrase it as a rule about 'Bonus Action Spells' and not about spell casting in general. That is why a PC with Action Surge could actually cast two standard action spells in the same turn (given they don't cast a bonus action spell that turn), plus a reaction spell. You could even cast more as a wild magic sorcerer if you get a surge that allows you to take an additional action immediately (81-82 on the table). Theoretically, there is no limit to the number of spells you can cast a turn (if you continue to surge) assuming you DON'T cast a bonus action spell.

I agree, even if does seem a bit odd from a logic perspective. Whether or not I'd enforce it in my home game is a different question that doesn't really matter to the OP.

G

Guest 6801328

It just occurred to me that an awesome subclass ability would be the ability to cancel a spell mid-cast as a reaction to counterspell, saving the slot. Maybe with an Arcana check or something.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
It just occurred to me that an awesome subclass ability would be the ability to cancel a spell mid-cast as a reaction to counterspell, saving the slot. Maybe with an Arcana check or something.

For how situational that would be, I'd hope there'd be no check involved.

G

Guest 6801328

For how situational that would be, I'd hope there'd be no check involved.

Really? In games I play in, NPCs counterspell PCs fairly often.

Not that I disagree: maybe a check isn't needed.

EDIT: Or maybe there's a roll depending on relative level, either of caster or slot used. Sort of like how the spell itself works.

MiraMels

Explorer
The one thing that I am a stickler about (and i don't know if i'd recommend this to anyone, this is almost assuredly far too finicky of a ruling, but alas) is that, if a character wants to cast counterspell while in the middle of casting some other spell (you know, if they started casting a spell and someone else tried to counter it, and they'd like to counter to the counter to their spell themselves), they need an additional free hand to provide the somatic components to cast counterspell.

The hand that is providing the components (somatic or somatic/material) for your original spell is already busy, so you can't just weave the complete somatic component for a counterspell into the middle of the somatic components for cloudkill. But if you're casting that cloudkill with your left hand, and your right hand is free? Go ahead and cast that counterspell.

Remove ads