4 years of 5E on Amazon: same old same old

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The PHB is not in the top 100 that often except for short term sales spikes via discounts.

This is a very curious statement, coming from you. I've seen you in so many threads where it was confirmed without question that what you just said was not accurate. It's very odd you'd say that. I've SEEN you quote the camecamelcamel sales graphic. So I know you know it's been in the top 100 for almost the entire last two years.

Here it is again. Are you seeing a big Fnord in the graphic and your mind is blocking it out or something?

QgjLJ58.png

Zardnaar

Legend
I was in a rush and looked at the dmg by mistake.

I did say what is good about 5E is it's doing consistent sales so far vs big spikes like 2000 or 1983. I don't think the 5E spike was 1983 but it's had 4 good years vs the golden ages 1 or 2.

And that's what makes D&D good. 3E and 4E both had big spikes, 2E kind of did as well but the WoTC ones crashed and burned although I think that was also corporate wanting that sales spike high. Works short term but they did 3 editions in 8 years that's to many. Same thing when they had Star Wars 3 editions in 7 years.

5E is going to have at least a 7 year cycle and that would be if they announced 6E in the next year which I don't see happening.

5E has benefitted from a perfect storm of social media, price via Amazon, online play and being a good edition. Even 10 years ago social media was in it's infancy along with things like apps and YouTube was kind if new. Most of that did not exist when 3E landed.

If you make a crap edition though all of that will sink you though even worse than the blowback on 4E. I just turned 40 and my youngest player is 26 and his younger sister and friends are also playing and are using D&D beyond and are fans of critical role. Watching other people play is anathema to me lol but I at least understand why it appears to others, hell I don't expect others to like my Farscape and Stargate addictions.

Last edited:

GreyLord

Legend
I didn't post any links. You dismissed three links someone else posted as "name dropping on the internet". Which was ridiculous as it was CEO commentary on annual and quarterly reports covered under FTC regulations as forward looking statements. The full links were posted, AND YOU RESPONDED TO IT. You seem to be saying you were SO eager to dismiss it you not only didn't click on it but you didn't even see it was links? Yeesh.

This is odd, but I have no idea what the heck you are talking about...but...okaaaaay....

No one was posting ANY information on what I was asking about until AFTER I actually found out the information via other sources. Even then as far as I saw it was ONE person who dropped a link to something I mentioned in regards to a local paper story.

They've never reported the numbers of D&D in reports. It may have had a mention, but it's not been like MtG which is named and in instances we see how much it actually is making for Hasbro.

Anyways, I tracked down the source of the information people were thinking about, and found out what it's all about. I'm happy to let you guys go on with your party now that I know what all of it is really about.

On your link thing though...I really have no idea what you are talking about or referring to. Most of the links that I see and things posted are on how the books are selling on Amazon, not the Hasbro stock reports.

Right now they are up 2 from when I last mentioned them (they were at 105 around at that time, currently at this point they are 107.62 high right now).

I don't think I'm going against your numbers anymore now that I know the REASON why they probably are advertising it like they are with those numbers and an actual plausible explanation of where they got those numbers in the first place.

GreyLord

Legend
No one knows exactly how much the red box sold. Most estimates are in the 1 to 1.5 million range.

Back in the day I thought AD&D was better. Having played both again in the last 4 to 5 years. BECMI is better IMHO. B/X is even better and joins my holy D&D Trinity along with 5E and 2E.

They're not really better than 5E but do certain things better (settings 2E, hexcrawls and domains B/X).

1.5 is commonly found.

Everything is estimates from that far back (for example, the 1.7m pHB's is off the 100K standard print run of the PHB in the later 80s and that we had at least 17 print runs of the AD&D (1e) PHB, though some put it a little higher. Thus working off of Mentzer's statements that the Red Box outsold all other products, it would mean that the Red box (BECMI had to outsell at least the AD&D PHB...which could put it higher than 1.5, it also takes into consideration that BX started selling right about the point when the AD&D brand started quadrupling in sales regularly [due to the media attention of the Ebert III case which turned out to be false...but drew attention to D&D]).

In the end, everything is basically estimates and guestimates on much of the early stuff based on various things we find out.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
More interesting numbers to drop. Remember, everything (including current player base) are complete guestimates. Ever wonder how we got that 25 million RPG player numbers...

1.7-2 million AD&D PHBs.

1.5 - 2 million Red Boxes (BECMI/BX)

1 million 2e PHBs

Grand total of PHB's/players books sold = 5,000,000

Once again, it's the factor of fives.

5 million x 5 = 25 million.

Not something you'll probably see again...but the factor of five is a basic estimation for D&D I'd say for guestimates.

PS: People may bring up OD&D and Holmes...they sold some but comparatively to the rest...are negligible on numbers (from my viewpoint).

PPS: Redbox sales may be an underestimate in relation to the Basic of BECMI. AS per Frank (perhaps the most loyal to Gygax and a great guy in regards to early D&D creators, also one who knows of the period because he was right in the middle of it) The BECMI Red box was the best seller for TSR D&D ever. In that light, it probably outsold the AD&D PHB. I suppose that could be accounted by taking a few million from the AD&D PHB (to 1.7 maybe or more) and adding it Redbox sales (2.3 or more). His memory and recollection is probably better than many.

That back of the envelope math may have worked for TSR in the 80's, but they were a fairly badly run company. Hasbro uses modern Big Data techniques, and WotC has repeatedly made use of those resources this decade. Their numbers are almost certainly not derived from sales, but from professional market research.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is odd, but I have no idea what the heck you are talking about...but...okaaaaay....

No one was posting ANY information on what I was asking about until AFTER I actually found out the information via other sources. Even then as far as I saw it was ONE person who dropped a link to something I mentioned in regards to a local paper story.

They've never reported the numbers of D&D in reports. It may have had a mention, but it's not been like MtG which is named and in instances we see how much it actually is making for Hasbro.

Anyways, I tracked down the source of the information people were thinking about, and found out what it's all about. I'm happy to let you guys go on with your party now that I know what all of it is really about.

On your link thing though...I really have no idea what you are talking about or referring to. Most of the links that I see and things posted are on how the books are selling on Amazon, not the Hasbro stock reports.

Right now they are up 2 from when I last mentioned them (they were at 105 around at that time, currently at this point they are 107.62 high right now).

I don't think I'm going against your numbers anymore now that I know the REASON why they probably are advertising it like they are with those numbers and an actual plausible explanation of where they got those numbers in the first place.

[MENTION=2525]Mistwell[/MENTION] (who, IIRC, is both a Hasbro stockholder and a lawyer) is referring to your post, #133, which quotes [MENTION=37579]Jester David[/MENTION] in post #130, wherein can be found three links providing details of the Hasbro CEO discussing D&D in a stockholder facing context: that is, not a marketing context, but an actionable stockholder communication. The local paper article is interesting because it provides a solid number, but it is in line with what Hasbro has communicated to stockholders.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

No one was posting ANY information on what I was asking about until AFTER I actually found out the information via other sources

Yes, they did. You even responded to it. In a very dismissive way. In a way which showed you clearly had not clicked on the three links provided. Go back to post #120. Now actually click the links.

Even then as far as I saw it was ONE person who dropped a link to something I mentioned in regards to a local paper story.

As I said earlier, one was a transcript to a stockholder conference call directly related to a quarterly report issuance, and the other two were the CEO of Hasbro on CNBC speaking about the quarterly and annual reports they had issued. None were local papers.

They've never reported the numbers of D&D in reports.

He mentions the three statements I repeated back to you. "He" is the CEO of Hasbro making forward looking statements on CNBC about the reports they had released that day.

Anyways, I tracked down the source of the information people were thinking about, and found out what it's all about.

Yes, you're a modern day Sherlock Holmes, tracking down the information people had already provided to you in this thread, dismissing those comments, then finding that same information again and patting yourself on the back for your sleuthing skills. Bravo :)

I'm happy to let you guys go on with your party now that I know what all of it is really about.

Yes, you're "letting" us go on with our opinions. Very gracious of you. :)

Right. Because you responded to it without clicking on the links, dismissed them, complained nobody had provided the links you'd just dismissed, and then found other links yourself and crowed about your achievement :)

I think we're all caught up now.

[Edit: because my #120 might not be your #120, look for whatever post looks like this]:

W5w0UEu.png

Last edited:

GreyLord

Legend
Yes, they did. You even responded to it. In a very dismissive way. In a way which showed you clearly had not clicked on the three links provided. Go back to post #120. Now actually click the links.

WHAT!???

Okay, now that I see more clearly what you are talking about...You misread the post entirely.

First, it was clearing up his math...and SECONDLY it was clarifying WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT.

If you are a Stockholder, than you are acting in pretty bad faith in your understanding. I wasn't talking about his discussions in other articles...

and thus I specified that what I WAS talking about was NOT something that CNBC or other articles (and especially NOT an enworld thread or article which I would have to search through just to find the link...why not just post the link itself?.) but the quarterly and annual reports...official ones that Hasbro puts out (aka...they have Hasbro branding and other items, such as directly released by Hasbro. Some of them are the direct talking of Hasbro, not the reports talking about what Hasbro said in these things to their stockholders)

Hasbro is NOT a hard company to follow. I've posted some of the current stock prices (in case people have missed it) because it really is that easy. ANYONE can follow it...and Hasbro also makes many of it's reports PUBLIC. In these reports D&D has been mentioned, but normally it's financial impact is small enough to not be a major point of interest (as opposed to MtG which has regularly been a major point of financial graphs and other items in the reports).

That means, the reports to stock holders...these are not articles on other sites but things specifically from Hasbro. They at a minimum come out quarterly and annually. Hasbro actually has things that come out from Hasbro itself almost daily.

I was clarifying this is what I was looking at, not IGNORING what he was posting (I took it because he didn't understand what I was asking...though in some ways it would seem if you ARE a stockholder (shareholder) than what you did was deliberately ignoring what I was asking or referring to rather than anything else. Why would you do that?)

Now that I finally GOT the answers I was looking for and BECAUSE I figured out the source was able to go and ask some others (in private) how this was all going down and why this type of stuff wasn't showing up in the money...

My position has CHANGED (which is why it is even more confusing why you are pursuing this course of discussion).

It is more congruent and parallel to your own original discussion (unless you are now trying to argue against your old position).

Because I got an explanation (not here, and I don't think anyone here actually KNOWS why) I understand WHY we might not see a financial breakdown or financial breakthrough with D&D. I understand why it hasn't suddenly stood out with major financial numbers showing an impact as great as some of the other departments (or even greater than many of them) in recent months and why we may not see one (or we might) in an upcoming report.

A lot of it is because my assumptions (everyone buying all three core rulebooks, the number of rulebooks sold, etc) were flawed off of what I thought they would be considering.

In reality, it really appears the answer to how they come up with some of the ideas (and why it is actually kind of vague in regards to hard numbers) is pretty simple in my opinion.

But, as it is actually more marketing thing than monetary (and most of the statements that I've discussed I think are coming from a PR and marketing viewpoint rather than monetary, whilst I was coming from a monetary viewpoint, which I now know was flawed, it has nothing to do with money and everything to do with marketing and PR) I think saying 12-15 million players is fine.

It doesn't actually effect me, but it can affect a lot of others and even, eventually have that impact on the "monetary" side of things. However, my assumptions of how much this money should be reflected in the stock reports and money were off because I was looking at it from the wrong angle.

If you look at the numbers I posted, in regards to sales, from a PR and marketing viewpoint, 5e IS the best selling D&D ever, has sold more rulebooks in accounting them (PHB) than any other edition, and has sold more than 3e and 4e combined.

I think those were along the lines of what Mistwell was saying, so if that is true, what exactly is Mistwell trying to argue now?

In this, I am very confused as to what he is trying to say or argue in regards to my current position

Last edited:

GreyLord

Legend
As MISTWELL wants a commentary on the specific articles posted by Jester David...

Point blank, that was NOT what I was talking about or looking for.

What I stated was

This stuff should be reflected in the Quarterlies, or at a minimum the Annuals. This type of money in flow should mean at least a bump to investors.

This is in reference to, at a minimum, the Quarterly or Annual reports to stockholders. What it was specifically looking for were the NUMBERS, similar to what I see in regards to various divisions of WotC, and regularly at times, specifically the dollar amounts in relation to how well MtG is doing. When I mean bump, I felt that something being spent by 15 million customers, from a monetary viewpoint, would be significant enough to start showing the actual NUMBERS and percentages (things that I was discussing).

Instead, he gave me articles that reported ON one of the annual earning calls. This annual (I think it was an annual earning call) was where D&D was mentioned to be doing well. That wasn't what I was asking for though. A direct link to the report would have been better if anything else (and I believe that is one of the reports that is actually publically available and was commented on). I'm not sure, but I believe I had acknowledge D&D had been MENTIONED in the reports, but it hadn't had the impact (100 million USD probably would though, and it might even have that amount stated directly) that MtG and thus specific monetary amounts and hard numbers were not being mentioned.

The articles discuss Goldner mentioning D&D (but still not divulging the financials I was specifically after and was saying we should see, In addition, that is a dated report and pretty old. Other mentions have been made afterwards in various meetings, but D&D still was never big enough or made a big enough strike that it was dealt with like MtG was (which, if one had been following my discussion, was what I was after, that treatment of D&D like MtG had with it's financial impacts and breakdowns).

This should be something a stockholder (shareholder) would have understood what I was looking for (as someone mentioned Mistwell was one). I attribute Jester David to simply not understanding what I was asking (which is why I clarified what I was after). However, if one was a stockholder (shareholder), not posting the to the Annuals or quarterlies is not a misunderstanding, but I think deliberately trying to ignore my request with full knowledge of what I was asking about.

What IS interesting about Jester David's comments, and that you should have noticed (but I don't think some realized my viewpoints have changed) is that his other comment about the Pareto Principle is now directly related to what I've been posting in regards to Numbers (the x5 factor, which is directly related to the 20/80 principle of the Pareto Principle).

In essence, after I found the answers, I actually have posts that are 100% agreeing with that portion of his post.

PS: As to what I was asking about, as numbers stated were comparable to the numbers MtG was putting out, I was looking to see where the money was in that regards as if it is competing close to MtG levels, it should be mentioned similarly.

To elaborate...this is where you can find the annuals

https://investor.hasbro.com/financial-information/annual-reports

And this is where you can find the quarterlies

https://investor.hasbro.com/financial-information/quarterly-results

An example of numbers

In 2017, Hasbro Gaming revenues grew 10% and our overall gaming category, which also includes MONOPOLY and MAGIC: THE GATHERING, grew 8% to $1.5 billion. Over the past 5 years, our overall gaming category has grown at a 6% compound annual growth
rate with a 9% annualized increase in operating profit. During this period, we generated operating profit margins above 20% in each of these years.

Franchise Brands are Hasbro’s most significant owned or controlled properties which we believe have the ability to deliver significant revenues and growth over the long-term. In 2017 our seven Franchise Brands were LITTLEST PET SHOP, MAGIC: THE GATHERING, MONOPOLY, MY LITTLE PONY, NERF, PLAY-DOH and TRANSFORMERS.

Net revenues for Hasbro’s total gaming category, including the Hasbro Gaming portfolio as reported above and all other gaming revenue, most notably MAGIC: THE GATHERING and MONOPOLY, which are included in the Franchise Brands portfolio, totaled $1,497.8 million in 2017, up 8%, versus $1,387.1 million in 2016.

*from the 2017 annual report Not sure if this link will work but the link is

https://investor.hasbro.com/static-files/151365c7-d90c-4f88-967f-a46f52b62e6e

D&D may or may not be mentioned in the next annual...who knows, but I'm not holding my breath anymore. I have no problems with the numbers stated anymore (12-15 million playerbase) but because of the purpose behind why they are being used, I won't hold my breath waiting to see it competing with MtG, though if it does, that could be pleasantly surprising.

Last edited:

D&D may or may not be mentioned in the next annual...who knows, but I'm not holding my breath anymore. I have no problems with the numbers stated anymore (12-15 million playerbase) but because of the purpose behind why they are being used, I won't hold my breath waiting to see it competing with MtG, though if it does, that could be pleasantly surprising.
yeah... about that

You say:
PS: As to what I was asking about, as numbers stated were comparable to the numbers MtG was putting out, I was looking to see where the money was in that regards as if it is competing close to MtG levels, it should be mentioned similarly.
and then quote:
net revenues for Hasbro’s total gaming category, including the Hasbro Gaming portfolio as reported above and all other gaming revenue, most notably MAGIC: THE GATHERING and MONOPOLY, which are included in the Franchise Brands portfolio, totaled $1,497.8 million in 2017, up 8%, versus $1,387.1 million in 2016.

And LITERALLY the paragraph above that is:
The Hasbro Gaming portfolio grew 10% in 2017 compared to 2016. Higher net revenues resultedfrom new social gaming products such as SPEAK OUT, TOILET TROUBLE and FANTASTIC GYMNASTICS and otherHasbro Gaming products such as DUNGEONS & DRAGONS as well as the successful launch of DROPMIX, anelectronic music mixing game. These increases were partially offset by lower net revenues from PIE FACE products
Emphasis added.

The $1,497.8 million mentioned in that report INCLUDES Dungeons & Dragons. That's all the numbers you're going to get: a big pool of all the games.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases