What is *worldbuilding* for?

pemerton

Legend
This brings up a fine point of game design. Where 4e tends to a theory of granting success, and thus forward continuation of the story in the direction favored by the players, BW and even DW (6 or less fails, tougher odds than 4e SCs generally have) are much less generous. I think this partly stems from 4e's equivocal position as a Story Now game. The designers seem to have more envisaged play as a kind of mix of GM-generated content with "go to the action." Where it is incoherent it suffers.
I think this true to a significant extent. Also, D&D has always had a strong "power fantasy" vibe, and 4e's maths caters to that fairly well.

But 4e also gets a lot of its pacing from within the resolution context. Although most combats will be won, there are moments of loss within them. Although most skill challenges will succeed, there are moments of failure within them.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Yet Middle Earth is not consistent. The economics and sociology of The Shire are absurd (there is so much metal, but where is it minded and smelted? it is isolated, and yet appears to have almost unlimited supplies of traded goods; etc). Where do the elves of Lorien get their food?
That's more a statement that ME's consistency is not complete, and that was in line with what I understand of Tolkien's focus. He says that he was concerned to ensure geographic, chronological and linguistic consistency. He did not always succeed, but he was hugely helped in those goals through his prior world-building. His books would not be the achievement they are, were it not for his world-building.

But in any event, my main contention for the past 500+ posts is this: the more that the GM is authoring, and the more the GM is authoring unilaterally, then the less the players are authoring. Hence their agency over the content of the shared fiction is reduced.

If the game is mainly about establishing a shared fiction, then it follows that their agency per se is reduced. As the OP noted, not all RPGing is about establishing a shared fiction - eg classic Gygaxian D&D is closer to a type of puzzle-solving - but I think that a lot of contemporary RPGing is not classic D&D.
This captures quite well why GNS comes under criticism for turning a blind eye to some kinds of roleplaying. I would call stories set in the Wild Card setting "shared fiction" and yet many details of that setting arrive to authors as part of the world backstory. The point being, participants can share creation of fiction in a setting that was created by a subset, or none (!) of those participants. Say we choose to play in an authentic 5th century Roman setting? None of us create that setting, but our fiction is shared. We might add some fantasy to it in specific ways. Indeed, to the extent that concepts pre-exist or arise in the minds of some and not all participants, the fiction is never shared in the sense you want.

Possibly that is because the sense you want is very purist, and it for me isn't fully admitting what is going on. If my character nominates a fictional manufacturer of her fictional grav bike, then other players should accept my fiction. They shouldn't say - no, that manufacturer doesn't exist so your character cannot be sitting on her grav bike, that said manufacturer putatively crafted. Thus, they accept something that they had no agency over. This is a constant. The only question is the scale and siting of who is doing what.

If someone comes to my group with Barker's EPT and we feel excited about that world, we can still weave our own tales into it, with full agency over our part, our fictions, without needing to have agency over the details the world-build provides. Or in our shared world, I might be obsessed with the cartography, while Alice is obsessed with the politics: a shared world-build is still a world-build.

And if we come down to - is the question really about whether a world-build can be shared? Then sure, of course it can. But not everyone wants to do it, and even when they do they frequently have different parts they are interested in. The value of the world-build remains the same. For shared fiction to work, each player must accept the fictional contributions of other players, and all must accept historical contributions they have chosen to rely on, and if that is more on one player, a DM, and less on others, the P/Cs, that is fine. It cannot be tarred "classic" DnD and mildly denigrated as "puzzle-solving"! It can and should be narratively rich.

pemerton

Legend
The game world is the game world. It's absurd for the PCs to always have an easy, instant journey to wherever they have interest, but that's exactly what happens in your style of play if the players don't have an interest in travel. It stretches belief.
What do you mean by "instant journey"? For all you know, the PCs in the fire giant example spent a week trekking through the underdark to get from the dwarves to the cavern.

But you are correct that if the players in a RPG I am GMing are not interested in travel as a focus or dramatic need for their PCs, then it is unlikely to loom large unless it concerns a location or geography that speaks in some other fashion to those dramatic needs. Ensuring that the game deals with material of interest to the players is something that I call "good GMing".

And why does it stretch belief? I read Jack the Giant Killer the other day (in the Blue Fairy Book version). Jack travels around and collects magic items. And kills giants. The travel doesn't feature as important in the story. John Boorman's version of Excalibur has an extended treatment of the Grail Quest, but travel per se doesn't figure - it is particular locations (Morgana's forest and the knight's hanged by Mordred; the river; the magical castle that holds the Grail) that play a prominent role.

It's simply not true that travel, per se, must be a prominent part of any engaging or versimilitudinous fantasy story. If I could run a game that had a tenth of the dramatic power of Boorman's movie I'd be pretty pleased with myself!

pemerton

Legend
pemerton said:
I can tell you that my players, if they were intending to be stealthy upon arriving at the cavern entrance, would let me know. We might then frame a check in which they try to (say) create a Wizard's Screen before the fire giant sentries notice them.
Rewinding time is unsatisfactory to me as a player and as a DM. The giants had already seen them, which makes it too late to be stealthy without a rewind happening.
What does rewinding time have to do with anything?

GM: Just as the dwarves told you, after a hard trek through the tunnels you find yourself at the entrance to a massive cavern. It's lit a dull red by the glow of lava that bubbles up through the floor of the cave and flows away in criss-crossing channels. In the glow of the lava, you can see fire giant sentries on patrol. . . <players interject>

Players: OK, can we throw up a Wizard's Screen before they notice us?​

I think what [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] is getting at is that in a game which is so player-centered the players are really the ones in charge of how the next scene is going to be framed, because it will address THEIR interests.

So, if they're a bunch of sneaky bastards who wouldn't march straight into trouble for any money, then the GM could be faulted for the narration that was presented, because it would clearly be missing what the PCs are all about! OTOH it would be a fine narration of a bunch of bold warriors marching to glory! Lord Jus of Demonland would most certainly approve! Maybe more realistically a party that was interested in a more 'wargame like' kind of tactical maximization approach might be flexible, but then I would expect THAT party to ask about what they are in store for, deliberately gather intel, perform recon, etc. I wouldn't expect them to just say "yes" when GM asks if they're heading to the giant cave. I would expect, again in a player-centered game, for these players to start elaborating plans and etc. Soon they should be making checks to find the Giant's defenses, the weaknesses in such, and the ways around them, etc. etc. etc. not just saying 'yes we approach'.
Well, mostly I had in mind what I just posted in reply to Maxperson - contra [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION], I don't think it's "rude" for the players to interrupt GM exposition to clarifiy what their PCs are doing. That's pretty standard in playing the game.

But what you said is all good too. The GM has a duty to respect the players' characterisation of their PCs in his/her narration. In practice I think this is fairly easily achieved by back-and-forth at the table.

pemerton

Legend
Neither backgammon nor five hundred (whatever that is) are RPGs and thus neither is relevant here.

<snip>

Part of playing a character's role is to manage its possessions along with its abilities and personality; and an RPG that eschews this is ignoring a key aspect of what playing a role entails. Ditto for the party as a whole: its collective possessions etc. e.g. acquired treasure also need to be carefully managed.
This is such a narrow conception of what a RPG might be about that it is hard to credit.

How important are equipment lists, or tallies of gold pieces, in Star Wars? The Seven Samurai? A Wizard of Earthsea? Gear is a narrative device; in a RPG it can be managed by any number of mechanics and/or narrative techniques.

pemerton said:
the idea that you have to track (say) ammunition is bizarre. It's a preference, not an iron law of fantasy RPGing.

The idea that unless you track ammunition then characters can get off infiintely many shots is also bizarre. That just shows an ignorance of the range of actual and posssible RPG mechanics. Here's one I just made up: the player delcares a missile attack. The dice are rolled; the check fails. The GM declares "You go to draw an arrow from your quiver, only to realise that it's empty!"
If ammunition isn't tracked there's two obvious possible results:

- the character can shoot an infinite number of times, or
- the character cannot shoot at all as there is no ammuniton listed on its sheet.

Something like your idea quoted above is a third option, to be sure; but mechanically much clunkier than just tracking the ammo would be in that each time a shot is taken there'll be an extra roll involved: the check for successfully getting the shot away and then the more usual roll to hit.
No. Do you really not get it? You can have a single roll to see if the attack succeeds, which incorporates everything - does the shooter have ammunition? does the target duck? does the shot penetrate armour? etc.

It's doubly bizarre that you run the line you are running as a D&D player, because D&D has never separated out the question of ducking from the question of armour penetration (contrast, say, RuneQuest or Burning Wheel). Just as those processes can be distinguished in resolution mechanics, but don't have to be, so likewise the availability of ammunition does not have to be broken out.

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=71699]clearstream[/MENTION], I think I would find your posts easier to respond to if I had some sense of what RPGs, or what sorts of play experiences, you have in mind when you make your observations.

This captures quite well why GNS comes under criticism for turning a blind eye to some kinds of roleplaying.
What kind? It has a very thorough description of RPGing that involves pre-authorship of setting with the goal being for the GM to tell the players about that setting. It's a form of "high concept simulationism".

If my character nominates a fictional manufacturer of her fictional grav bike, then other players should accept my fiction. They shouldn't say - no, that manufacturer doesn't exist so your character cannot be sitting on her grav bike, that said manufacturer putatively crafted. Thus, they accept something that they had no agency over. This is a constant. The only question is the scale and siting of who is doing what.
I am not following your point. Yes, as Vincent Baker has pointed out for a long time now, the core function of a RPG system is to establish what stuff gets incorporated into the shared fiction, and how. (I think this claim may need some qualification if we're talking about classic dungeon-crawling, but I'm not and I don' think you are either.)

How does that shine light on the function of pre-play authorship of setting by a GM?

If someone comes to my group with Barker's EPT and we feel excited about that world, we can still weave our own tales into it, with full agency over our part, our fictions, without needing to have agency over the details the world-build provides.
But manifestly you have less agency over the content of the shared fiction then you would in a "no myth" game.

And more to the point for this thread, if the GM uses the pre-authored details of EPT to declare action declarations unsuccessful by reference to unrevealed elements of fictional positioning ("secret/hidden backstory") then it is the GM whose agency is pre-eminent.

is the question really about whether a world-build can be shared? Then sure, of course it can. But not everyone wants to do it, and even when they do they frequently have different parts they are interested in. The value of the world-build remains the same. For shared fiction to work, each player must accept the fictional contributions of other players, and all must accept historical contributions they have chosen to rely on, and if that is more on one player, a DM, and less on others, the P/Cs, that is fine. It cannot be tarred "classic" DnD and mildly denigrated as "puzzle-solving"! It can and should be narratively rich.
I don't understand the second-last sentence.

As far as I can tell (by reading blogs, reading threads on ENworld, etc) most contemporary RPGing is not classic D&D, does involve rather extensive GM world building (either directly, or by choosing to use a setting authored by another), and does involve only modest player agency in respect of the shared fiction. As best I can tell, a significant amount of player action declarations have the purpose and function of triggering the GM to tell the players more about the setting (either by reading from notes, or by telling them stuff that is actually made up on the spot but that notionally is coming from the notes - "I did such a good job of winging it that the players couldn't tell!" is the typical hallmark of this sort of thing). And a significant amount of player choice is dependent on this - the players first get the GM, in effect, to provide a list of possibilities by narrating elements of the world, and then choose from among them.

Whether or not this is "fine" obviously is a matter of taste.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don't really agree with this. I mean, I can't say what in theory is possible in GM-centered play, it TOTALLY depends on what the specific GM pre-authored, how they relate that to the PCs, etc.

But I think that all the characters have significant motivations. Merry and Pippin are the least developed characters, besides Legolas who is almost really a minor character. They seem to be the quintessential "just along to have an adventure" types TBH. Even they find things which challenge them. Pippin comes face to face with madness and grief, and becomes torn between duty founded on honoring his oath to Denethor and love and pity for Faramir. I don't think this is just random stuff! Tolkien is turning Pippin into a fully-formed character here and creating a profound human conflict which he must resolve. Later he's expelled from service to the Tower for his actions, though clearly everyone finds those actions laudable.

Likewise Merry learns about true bravery and loyalty and about pushing yourself beyond the normal bounds of what is possible. He picks himself up and hews the flesh of the Ring Wraith regardless of terror, all for the love of an old man whom he hardly knows, and a woman he doesn't know at all! In the process he fulfills a prophecy, which is to say in Tolkien's parlance he plays his part in God's Plan of his own free will. This is not random stuff!
And the point I'm making is that none of that requires Story Now. All of it can and is easily done with my playstyle. None of it has any obvious Story Now goals that are plastered on the character, except for the quest to destroy the ring and becoming king. You have to rationalize that such goals were written down and then apply them, when there is no evidence of such goals existing.

Now, what agendas do hypothetical players of these 'characters' have? Well, at the point where those things happen, that's fairly obvious. What was Pippin's motivation when he hooked up with Frodo on his way to Took Land? We don't know, maybe just to find out how a foolish young man would mature in the face of danger.

In the first sentence you say it's it's fairly obvious what the agenda is, and in the third you contradict yourself and say you don't know. The third sentence is correct, because you don't know and it isn't at all obvious. However, since that event(and all the other character growth and challenges) are part and parcel to my style of play, I don't need to invent hypothetical agendas to have it fit my playstyle.

I think, partly, the trouble here is in not having a full explication of all the elements of Story Now. While we talk a lot about player agenda and character goals and relate the two, there ARE other formulations of Story Now. Eero Tuovinen mentioned some in passing. The entire milieu could present a question/challenge/agenda for example. I think this is a central point of Tolkien's work BTW, the question of free will and the 'playing of a part' in the unfurling of Illuvatar's plan, as shaped by the Great Music even before the founding of Arda. Melkor's great crime isn't opposing Illuvatar, his 'rebellion' is a vital part of Illuvatar's plan, NOTHING can truly be against the will of God! No, Melkor's great crime is the imposition of his will onto others. The evil that Sauron represents in LotR is just that, the will to dominate others and force them to do your bidding. This is the very reason why the Ring is unusable by free people, because its power is domination, it cannot be anything BUT evil and do anything but evil in accord with Tolkien's conception of good and evil.

This is a more plausible than inventing hypotheticals, but I think it's still a bit of a stretch. Exploring free will is exceptionally broad as an agenda. It literally allows everything you choose to do to be exploration of that agenda, including domination of others since you are engaging in your free will when you do so. Also, if nothing can truly be against the will of god, then domination is also a part of the will of god. Lastly, the ring is usable by anyone, free or not. Gollum used it, Frodo used it, Bilbo used it, Galadriel could have used it, Gandalf could have used it, and so on. Some of it's powers were dependent on the powers of the wielder, and it amplified those powers.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
What does rewinding time have to do with anything?

GM: Just as the dwarves told you, after a hard trek through the tunnels you find yourself at the entrance to a massive cavern. It's lit a dull red by the glow of lava that bubbles up through the floor of the cave and flows away in criss-crossing channels. In the glow of the lava, you can see fire giant sentries on patrol. . . <players interject>

Players: OK, can we throw up a Wizard's Screen before they notice us?​

Okay, so you require them to think of what they would like to do and interrupt you in the .5(or less) seconds between seeing the patrol and being seen? Or are you pausing for a while right there to give them time?

pemerton

Legend
Okay, so you require them to think of what they would like to do and interrupt you in the .5(or less) seconds between seeing the patrol and being seen? Or are you pausing for a while right there to give them time?
You'd have to ask the players at the table in the example what their practice is!

It seems like you think it's a really demanding thing for the players to declare meaningful actions in the back-and-forth of play, but that's so different from my experience that obviously there's no uniform practice here. At my table, if I mentioned giant sentries the players would not have any trouble responding or interjecting something like "OK, can we hide? - Maybe, I could cast Wizard's Screen" or "OK, I'll move in and take them down" or "I call out a greeting in Deep Speech" or whatever else seems sensible to them, and then we'd work out together what's going on.

It's not some sort of RPG equivalent of "touch it, move it" chess.

pemerton

Legend
AbdulAlhazred said:
Now, what agendas do hypothetical players of these 'characters' have? Well, at the point where those things happen, that's fairly obvious. What was Pippin's motivation when he hooked up with Frodo on his way to Took Land? We don't know, maybe just to find out how a foolish young man would mature in the face of danger.
In the first sentence you say it's it's fairly obvious what the agenda is, and in the third you contradict yourself and say you don't know.
There's no contradiction. [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] says that the agenda is fairly obvious at the point where those things happen, and the thing he mentioned in relation to Pippin was choosing between fealty to Denethor and love of Faramir. What he says we don't know is Pippin's dramatic need at the start of the story. That choice happens very close to its end.

It's not uncommon, especially in multi-character fiction, for one protagonists dramatic need to emerge only later on in the story.

And the point I'm making is that none of that requires Story Now. All of it can and is easily done with my playstyle.

<snip>

The third sentence is correct, because you don't know and it isn't at all obvious. However, since that event (and all the other character growth and challenges) are part and parcel to my style of play, I don't need to invent hypothetical agendas to have it fit my playstyle.
And here is the real contradiction: because your playstyle can't easily "do it all". You can't have character growth without character dramatic needs, because it's in the nature of such growth to relate in some fashion to those needs.

And frankly I doubt very much that your actual play delivers dramatic arcs even remotely comparable to JRRT. I'm happy to read your actual play reports that contradict my doubt, but to date you've not pointed me to them. I'll point to three of my own actual play reports to illustrate what I regard as examples of story that have occurred during actual play as a direct result of the GM framing scenes that (to borrow some terminology from Eero Tuovinen) provoke choices because they are thematically salient moments. There are links in those reports that will take you to others if you're interested.

AbdulAlhazred]<snip summary of Pippin and Merrry's moments of truth in LotR>

This is not random stuff!
None of it has any obvious Story Now goals that are plastered on the character, except for the quest to destroy the ring and becoming king. You have to rationalize that such goals were written down and then apply them, when there is no evidence of such goals existing.
I take it that you're not a literary critic in your day job!

As AbdulAlhzared said, it's obvious to any reader of LotR that JRRT didn't just write down some random stuff. AbdulAlhzared's point, in referring to the two hobbits as "the least developed characters, besides Legolas", is that even these least developed characters have significant dramatic arcs established for them by the author. (He is right to say that Legolas really doesn't. Nor does Butterburr.)

If you can't appreciate fairly obvious dramatic arcs in a fairly straightforward fantasy story, that does help explain why you're not interested in "story now" RPGing. Suffice it to say that most people don't regard it as "rationalising" to notice that Pippin and Merry have character-defining moments in the third volume of LotR. And the point of "story now" RPGing - as Eero Tuovinen tells us in the context of the "standard narrativistic model" - is to allow the player of a character to "let the other players know in certain terms what the character thinks and wants", which will be facilitated by the GM framing scenes that are "interesting situation(s) in relation to the premise of the setting or the character." These will include "complications" (eg the man to whom you swore fealty, because his sone died saving you from orcs is now threatening to burn alive his other son, whom you love) and thereby "provoke thematic moments (defined in narrativistic theory as moments of in-character action that carry weight as commentary on the game’s premise)" (eg you choose love over fealty, and so disobey a direct order from your commander).

To quote Ron Edwards, who writes the following under the heading "ouija-board roleplaying":

How do Ouija boards work? People sit around a board with letters and numbers on it, all touching a legged planchette that can slide around on the board. They pretend that spectral forces are moving the planchette around to spell messages. What's happening is that, at any given moment, someone is guiding the planchette, and the point is to make sure that the planchette always appears to everyone else to be moving under its own power.

Taking this idea to role-playing, the deluded notion is that Simulationist play will yield Story Now play without any specific attention on anyone's part to do so. The primary issue is to maintain the facade that "No one guides the planchette!" The participants must be devoted to the notion that stories don't need authors; they emerge from some ineffable confluence of Exploration per se. . . .

My call is, you get what you play for. Can you address Premise this way? Sure, on the monkeys-might-fly-out-my-butt principle. But the key to un-premeditated artistry of this sort (cutup fiction, splatter painting, cinema verite) is to know what to throw out, and role-playing does not include that option, at least not very easily. Participants in Ouija-board play do so through selective remembering. I have observed many such role-players to refer to hours of unequivocally bored and contentious play as "awesome!" given a week or two for mental editing.​

You assert that you can achieve significant dramatic arcs by way of GM-driven RPGing that nevertheless relentlessly prioritises exploration of the setting by treating "the gameworld" as something "neutral" that constrains action resolution and creates its own demands (eg the table can't just go to where the action is). For the reasons that Edwards gives, I don't think this can be done. You yourself said that to achieve the Moria sequence in play you would have to edit out all the stuff that isn't relevant to the story. Now you are saying that you can't even recognise the obvious story trajectory of the two non-ringbearing hobbits in LotR.

As I already asked in this post, where are the actual play reports?

Remove ads