D&D 5E Help! Any 5e adventures I can hand to kids?

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Recently my some of my nieces and nephews have gotten into D&D. They've completely run through the Starter Set adventure box themselves and I've run a few adventures for them as one-offs (a modified version of the 3e Sunless Citadel adventure and the first episode of Hoard of the Dragon Queen - which I happened to have handy when they were begging me to run a game for them and I needed something on short notice).

The eldest is really into the idea of DMing but is at a loss for creating adventures that his siblings will find interesting enough to stick with and not get "bored" by (he's 11 and his siblings are 9 and 7 - he's still working on it). His dad (whose first time roleplaying ever was the first game I ran for the kids) was asking me recently for advice on adventures that they could buy or find online for the kids to run.

I'm not a 5e DM normally (just for them - I'm running 13th age for my regular group) and I have so much older D&D stuff on my shelves that I haven't even been paying attention to the 5e third party offerings. And the only Wizards adventure entry I've looked at/own is HotDQ - which I think might be just a bit too complex for him to jump into running as a second adventure ever. And while I could offer him quite a few 3e adventures, he'd have to convert them and I'm trying to figure out things that will encourage his interest in the "running a game at the table" side of things as much as I can - anything that starts to look like homework might kill his interest (at least right now - eventually those parts become fun too).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd especially be grateful for pointers to easy-to-run dungeon crawls or things specifically targeting novices so he can still try to figure this whole thing out. Small, reasonably priced PDF products are probably better than mega-epics, but I'd take pointers to either. As far as content goes the only limitation is that their parents would probably prefer it if I didn't recommend anything overtly demonic. Dragons and elves and whatnot are fine, images of Orcus on his throne dripping in blood will probably get me uninvited from their home :)

delericho

Legend
If you know someone with access to the Adventurer's League materials, they might be able to hook you up. Certainly, if they've fixed the link, the adventure "DDEX03-01 Harried in Hillsfar" is available from the latest Dragon+.

Beyond that, you're probably going to have to go third-party. You've already discounted "Hoard...", and PotA is probably more complex still. There are, of course, the playtest adventures, but they'll probably need at least some work, so they might not be ideal for a new DM.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Mithgarthr Entertainment put out a free 5e dungeon crawl called Stonefast. I'm running it. It's very basic, 11 pages, comes with a map, and monster stats in the appendix. I've beefed it up for my game, but I think it would be perfect for a new DM. The monsters are classics, which is neat for a group of kids.

http://mithgarthrentertainment.com/downloads/Stonefast.pdf

Thanks for the tip - that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. It even references that it's a callback to the old black box "basic" set intro dungeon from the 90s. I'll forward it to their dad (and I'll check out a few of their other offerings on RPGNow to see if any of them might be workable too).

If anyone else knows of anything like this, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about (they don't have to be free either - I'm perfectly willing to send $5 or $6 for a short PDF adventure).

Talmek

Explorer
Hi [MENTION=19857]Jer[/MENTION],

I would recommend "The Fey Sisters' Fate" by Goodman Games. I ran it for my kids (11, 9 & 7) in a couple of sessions (8 hours total) and they had a blast with it. It's a pretty linear quest path (good for kids) and the plot is also straightforward with minimal NPC involvement. I would recommend it to any new GM regardless of age as long as their audience isn't looking for an open-world/sandbox experience.

Good luck!

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Hi [MENTION=19857]Jer[/MENTION],

I would recommend "The Fey Sisters' Fate" by Goodman Games.

Thanks! That also looks like a good one - I've stuck into my list. Have you played the 1st "Fifth Edition Fantasy" adventure from Goodman - Glitterdoom? I'd like to find some slightly higher level (2-4) adventures for the kids to run for themselves because they're already at level 2 and I want to encourage them to keep going on their own and maybe grow a few more DMs :) I may buy them both and see what I think - Goodman has a decent track record with me already and I can't believe I didn't think to look at their offerings first.

Talmek

Explorer
[MENTION=19857]Jer[/MENTION]

It's funny that you mention Glitterdoom as that is what the kids will be playing next. I really ran FSF as an experiment (that I'm totally stoked about with the kids actually wanting to play) but now that they are hooked I think that we will be doing that one soon.

Based on a review of the material Glitterdoom is a bit shorter (17-20 pages cover to cover) whereas Fey Sisters' Fate was somewhere closer to 30. Additionally, it appears that based on content and adventure setup Glitterdoom will play similarly to FSF.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Remove ads