We're All Gamers Together: Why Harassment Has To Stop

Another piece talking about the harassment of women in tabletop gaming has surfaced on the internet. At least one of the incidents related in that piece has been substantiated as being true, so I am willing to accept that there is more truth in that article. Whether gamers, or geeks in general, want to admit it or not, there are serious issues within our communities with how people act towards women, people of color, and the LGBTQI. We need to knock that off right now. Obviously, this is an opinion piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another piece talking about the harassment of women in tabletop gaming has surfaced on the internet. At least one of the incidents related in that piece has been substantiated as being true, so I am willing to accept that there is more truth in that article. Whether gamers, or geeks in general, want to admit it or not, there are serious issues within our communities with how people act towards women, people of color, and the LGBTQI. We need to knock that off right now. Obviously, this is an opinion piece.
Just as a warning, for those who might be bothered by certain sorts of content, some of the incidents that were relayed to me, the stories that were told, have jarring, uncomfortable occurrences in them. If mentions of rape and unsolicitated physical contact will bother you, you might want to skip the rest of this article. I know reading the emails and PMs from these women bothered me as they came in.

As much as what these women related bothered me, and obviously bothered them as the targets of the harassment, I felt that the fact that it was so uncomfortable was exactly the reason why this current piece needed to be written. We, as a group, need to start looking the people doing this harassment in the eye and telling them that we don’t think it is okay. We need to stop pushing these accounts into the shadows, under the rugs, and pretending that they do not exist. We need to make our communities into better places for everyone, and not just a bunch of men.

I put out a call over my various social media feeds (which was shared a lot), asking for women to share their experiences of harassment in tabletop gaming with me. Anonymity was offered to those who wanted it, and not surprisingly most respondents asked that their names be kept confidential. The reasons for them wanting to be kept anonymous were one of two. First, they were afraid of further harassment within their communities for calling out the bad behavior. They seen how women who tell men to stop get treated in small, closed communities and, for better or worse, they want to continue with their hobbies without additional harassment. The second reason was a bit scarier. Some of these women are professionals, working in tabletop gaming in a number of different capacities, who fear that publicly coming forward would negatively impact their careers within gaming.

I’ll just say that last one again, with emphasis: they were afraid that coming forward about their harassment, or the harassment that they had witnessed, would negatively impact their careers in tabletop gaming.

Because of these reasons, I will be keeping the identities of everyone who asked anonymous. Everyone who spoke with me identified themselves, I am just not identifying them.

One of the common threads through the experiences shared was rape. Most of these women had had characters raped during convention play, online games, or at events at stores. Sometimes the rapes were matter-of-factly introduced into play, others there was a titillating level of graphic detail to the assaults. One women talked about how a regular attendee at a local convention bragged of having a “rape kit” in his car for the women at the convention, and at one point he yelled at her to “find him women to sleep with.” She also talked about the organizers of the convention having a “men only camping retreat” and when she was on the board of the con the only way that she could attend was “nude and wearing a dog collar.” Another woman talked about the GM of her online game suddenly having her character knocked unconscious, taken away on a ship, and then graphically narrated raping her character. All of this occurred on voice chat while using a popular virtual tabletop site.

Another woman told me that her attempts at organizing a couple of women only games for a VTT online convention was met with such vehemence from male gamers that the games were pulled from the schedule of the convention.

People wonder why more and more people think that anti-harassment policies are needed at conventions. After all, even Gen Con has one:
Gen Con: The Best Four Days in Gaming! is dedicated to providing a harassment-free Event experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or affiliation. We do not tolerate harassment of convention participants in any form. Convention participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled without refund at the discretion of show management.

And an Ethics policy:

All of the following constitute grounds for expulsion from the convention without refund:
  • Violating any federal, state, or local laws, facility rules or convention policies
  • Failure to comply with the instructions of Gen Con Event Staff or security personnel
  • Using anything in a threatening or destructive manner against person or property
  • Endangering the safety of oneself or others
  • Threatening, stealing, cheating or harassing others
  • Failure to conduct oneself in a mature manner

The creators of the 13th Age RPG have anti-harassment policies for their organized play because “Nobody shows up for a game with the goal of feeling uncomfortable or unsafe, and sorry that they came. But organized play brings together many different types of people with different expectations and approaches to play. An anti-harassment policy sets ground rules that everyone can recognize and follow, resulting in better games and more fun.” In the policy they outline harassment as “Everyone has the right to a space that is safe from any type of harassment: physical, verbal, emotional, or sexual.”

Honestly, considering the experiences that have been related to me, these sorts of policies should be commonplace for conventions and organized play. I have heard that Paizo is currently drafting an anti-harassment policy for their organized play, and Ad Astra Games has one in place already.

These are some of the more overt things that women have to deal with in their tabletop gaming experiences, and doesn’t go into the more “casual” or systemic harassment and sexism that women deal with at conventions, in online play and at game stores. One of the women talked about women being a subclass in society, and it being more so in gaming communities. “It sucks for a female gamer, going into a store and having that reaction.”

Men are openly commenting on women’s body parts in a sexual manner. Sexual content is added to games because “that’s the kind of stuff that women like.” Crude sexual references and jokes are made.

I’m not saying that there is no place for sexual, or adult themes, in gaming. Just the opposite, in fact. In my personal groups I game with grownups, and we play games that can have adult material in them. We have, however, agreed that content like that is okay in advance, and most of the time we agree that players’ agency over their characters should not be railroaded by the story of the game, or the actions of the GM. There is a huge difference between making awkward sexual comments out of the blue, because you are hoping it will interest a woman gamer, and making awkward sexual comments that people expect in their game. This goes doubly so for games in public spaces, like conventions or stores.

And just because it is okay with your wife, girlfriend or the woman in your gaming group at home, that doesn’t mean that it is okay with all women. If it makes someone at the table uncomfortable, or makes them feel like they are being harassed, just don’t do it, or apologize for having done it.

And, of course, none of them are safe from accusations of being a “fake geek girl,” or being in the store to get something for their husband or boyfriend. Apparently the idea that a woman would want to buy her own dice or miniatures or rule books is alien to some gamers.

As Jon Peterson, author of Playing at the World, points out in an online essay, there have always been gender problems in tabletop gaming. But he also points out that women have been interested in tabletop gaming for a long time. But, just because something has “always been that way,” it does not mean that it has to stay that way. Even in the 1970s TSR Games employees were taken to task by fandom, and female designers, to be more respectful of women gamers and to stop using phrases like “ladygamers.” Sadly, these attitudes that were considered to be outdated back then are still being perpetuated now…in some cases by some of the same people.

My first AD&D group, back in 1979, had a woman for the GM, and about half of the group were women. Most of my groups since then have had women involved in them. We need to be better, as a community, about these things. We need to speak out when we see women being harassed, online or in person, and we need to tell the people who think that doing this is okay that it isn’t. We need to be active in making the change that creates better communities where we don’t have to worry about our friends being harassed because of their gender, or their sexual preferences, or their ethnicity. We have to convince conventions and organized play societies that having anti-harassment policies is a good thing, and enforcing them so that everyone feels welcomed and accepted is a better thing.

Guys, we have to remember that this isn’t about us. This isn’t about our perceptions of what is happening at conventions, during organized play events and in online games. We sit back, listen and ask what we need to do, rather than try to make the discussion about how it “isn’t all men.” We already know that. We need to not take the focus away from what needs to be done.

There are never going to be completely safe spaces, in gaming or outside of it. However, we can make better places where no one has to worry about their body parts being part of the table talk, or their characters being sexually violated. It is the 21st century, and we should be better about this than we are. We need to stop being quiet, stop facilitating harassment, and we need to start making better spaces for ourselves and our fellow gamers. A group, like nerds, that talk so much about being harassed in their youth for being different should really be more sensitive about harassing others. We can, as a group, be better about this, and we need to do it.

Elf Witch

First Post
I am almost 30... I have been gaming since I was 8, my first Con was a local one at the age of 13 and I hate to say it but I know almost no woman who go to cons and stores and play that don't have at least 1 story...

Not one of my woman friends that aren't gamers can say they don't have at least a 'feel uncomforable' story so I don't want to make it sound like it is just gamers.

How ever I would kill for the next little girl who wants to play D&D comes here and say "Never happened to me..."

I am 58 and have been dealing with this for a long time and I am exhausted. Everyone of my gaming friends who are female and who are gay have stories. My roommate is DMing right now and a young friend of mine who I met through pagan activities wanted to know how to play so she joined her group. I was hoping she never had to experience what we have. But when she went to a local game store to buy her first dice she was initiatied into the club. She had brought her mom and her baby son with her. He started fussing and she was rocking him and some stupid guy thought it would be funny to say to her "hey if you are going to give him a drink can I have one too" Now her mom let into him and told him off and he sort of slinked away. The mom told the person behind the register and he said he would talk to the guy and let him know that was not tolerated at the store.

And while I think it is great that the store employee said what he said I still think it is bad she had to experience her first trip to a game store and have to deal with a jerk.
Don't forget the other side of the coin. I've had some DMs drop in love interests for my character.

I think could have had a number of motivations (some good or neutral, and some lecherous):
G/N - They could have been providing a balance to the male PCs going to brothels.
G - They could have legitimately wanted to provide ties that link the PCs more closely to the game world they live in.
L - They could have been expecting me to RP a sexual encounter with that NPC for their amusement.

However, in the years after my harassment experience (i.e. after I learned to not even hint at character sex or romance around men I don't know) I never allowed a character to pursue those romantic relationships. There was one time where another gamer commented that my character was simply a frigid b**** because she refused the attentions of an NPC who, to be perfectly frank, had been portrayed by the DM as a legitimately kind and decent person (and who I thought my character would have been genuinely interested in).

Some people don't like romance or sex in their game. That's perfectly cool. I think that leaving out romance detracts from the game world because it removes a layer of positive relationships with the game world. However, I also fully understand people being uncomfortable with it, and I think most people who opt to leave it out do so for comfort purposes and not because romance is "girly."

I have had DMs drop a romantic interest in I am usually okay with that if it not creepy what I hate is the ones that try and force a pregnancy on my PC.

I was playing a bard and I wanted to the feat Nymph's Kiss to have it you have to take it at creation and been involved with a Nymph. So I made my PC bisexual. One of the guys at the table would bring up all the time of either having a threesome or letting him watch. He did this in character so after discussing it with the DM he allowed me to handle it in game so I told him I was tired of it and that he had better be careful in combat because I was not going to heal him any more if he kept it up. He didn't stop and his PC almost died because I wouldn't heal him and he had to gain back his hit points the hard way with rest he took me seriously.

I was recently at a convention where the DM simply would not stop making various pedophile jokes, even when it became obvious that it was not funny to some at the table... myself included. This was followed by a barrage of "furry" jokes at the expense of the moon circle druid. This was an Adventurer's League DM mind you. The teenagers at the table seemed more mature.

I know this isn't precisely related to the topic, but it was annoying to say the least. Edit to add my 2 cents on the original topic though. I've been in groups where female players were every bit as raunchy as the men and cursed and discussed various body parts with equal gusto. Personally its not my style, I enjoy a little more gravitas, but I just wanted to point out that in my experience the various sex jokes and even the racism that comes up from time to time is perpetrated by both men and women.

There is no doubt women can be just as raunchy as men. And women can be just as racist as any man. And women doing it and causing trouble should not get a pass just because they are women. What I have never understood is why people continue to do something that is annoying other people. Why keep making jokes that people are not laughing at or when asked to stop. If a player says I find this uncomfortable please stop why keep it going.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
What I have never understood is why people continue to do something that is annoying other people.

1) some people think they're funnier than they are.

2) some people are extremely bad at reading the reactions of others.

3) some people enjoy annoying other people.

...and 1 & 2 often overlap.

Caliburn101

Explorer
I posted on my position on this on the other thread about harassment.

I then read through this one.

Whilst many of the same valid points are being made, there is a very childish and self-aggrandising set of mini-feuds being played out here with all kinds of insults thrown in for 'good' measure.

I would like to see this thread closed and one far better moderated started.

To those involved in personally motivated mud-slinging at each other - either post on the subject or don't bother posting. One of the reasons this kind of discussion doesn't achieve what it deserves to is the inevitable egocentricity of those who think it's an excuse for very poor behaviour.

Stop insulting each other and grow up.

The "white terrorist" label is pretty much hyperbole, associating harassment with such an emotionally loaded term as "terrorist".
Which is likely the point: by applying the definition of the term terrorist to abusers it's meant to get us to really think about the behaviour and the people who do it. It's not an inaccurate usage of the term and makes us wonder how it can be ignored, let alone condoned.
Is that the point? Does that really work? Or do you just appear as having an unreasonable opinion or attacking the reader/listener, which prompts him into self-defense mode, instead of introspection? Or what if their introspection reveals that they have never harassed a woman, or seen it happening, because they don't just play with any as*hole, but with decent people?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
One thing about the 8% number: it is too high, no disputing. But I think we're a bit off on the number of attendees it represents.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it was 8% of all female attendees who reported misconduct, correct?

If so, was it genuinely a 50/50 split, or was the Con's attendance typical of our hobby as a whole- 70%+ male?

That still has us talking about an intolerably large bunch of victims, but not 5000.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I understand that you, Dannager, are mentally disabled enough to believe that you have already won

Actually, it's because your arrogance IS an actual moral wrong. But mostly, it's because you're a worthless a-hole who needs to be called on his BS. You went on the attack against me, trying to figure out what I think, when I stayed civil to you. My civility has come to an end.

So has your time in this thread. Take a few days off the forums; and if you decide to return, do not post in this thread again. Namecalling is not acceptable.

A victim of sexual assault has something taken away from them. Something much more important and fundamental than a fun con weekend (though that gets taken from them, too, actually). They aren't any more at fault than some hypothetical person unjustly chucked out of a convention. Why are you okay punishing the victims of sexual assault instead of punishing those accused of sexual assault? SOMEONE is going to get punished get something taken away from them - why victims of sexual assault and not people accused of sexual assault?

In fact, if you're looking to advocate for innocent people to not be punished, you're kind of wasting your time on people unjustly accused of sexual assault at a con. There's not that many of them, and the pain they feel isn't very deep.

Meanwhile, there's lots of people who get punished that you could find to rally behind if it's an important cause for you. Some of them even get KILLED for it. Some get viciously shamed in public. Some are imprisoned for decades. Some get unjustly killed by police.

Some just get their feeling of safety and security taken away from them.

Again, there's no solution that causes no suffering. There's only a solution that reduces the incidence of sexual harassment and makes con goers feel safer but might sometimes kick out someone unfairly, and a denial of that solution that keeps perpetrators of sexual violence as active con members but at least doesn't kick anyone out unfairly.

I can only imagine that those who think getting kicked out of a con is a worse scenario than being sexually harassed have the luxury of being very ignorant of the suffering sexual harassment causes. That ignorance just lets more sexual harassment happen. If that's not acceptable, there's plenty of avenues for education and support out there.

Again with assault, has anyone said that if someone assaults someone you shouldn't kick them out...if so I hsventseen it. Infect I have been advocating for about 10 pages now that we should focus alto more on stopping assault. Do you know what isntassualt... "He said something I didn't like" or "He said so ethic that anyone else would be fine but his voice inclination. Made it sound bad"

8% of con goers more or less are assaulted sexually. Throwing someone out for making a bad joke or having bad social skills will do NOTHING to stopthat...throwing out ghereal problems, like the rapist and assualtet will. So even forgetting my worry about losing my vacation and my years savings, I want to ficys on ACTUALLYSAFTY...

Words can upset you, words can be cruel. WORDS ARE NOT AS BAD AS PHYSICALSEXUAL ASSUSLT, if the 8% number umbia gave isinflated by half(and we have noreason to believe it is) then about 2500 so ual assaults happened at gen con last year. Instead of arguing PC or words or hurt feelings we needtomake sure that 2,000+ people aren't aassaulted.Its 4 days that means 500 people. A day at the con on the low end, 1000 a day if the number isn't inflated...

I can not believe me having a social problem isanywhere near that scale... This isn't do you feel bad stuff this is 500-1000 sexual assaults a day at a con for fun.

One thing about the 8% number: it is too high, no disputing. But I think we're a bit off on the number of attendees it represents.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it was 8% of all female attendees who reported misconduct, correct?

If so, was it genuinely a 50/50 split, or was the Con's attendance typical of our hobby as a whole- 70%+ male?

That still has us talking about an intolerably large bunch of victims, but not 5000.
Again even if it is inflated by half it is 500 assaults per day... I would think it unmanagbly high at 20% of that number (100 a day)

Of course. I'm not suggesting gamers get a pass. I just don't agree with the idea that it's somehow gamer centric, which is what that articles suggest.

It's not gamer-centric. It is however a problem in the tabletop gaming community. Possibly moreso, possibly less so than some other communities. Those other communities? Not that relevant on ENWorld. The tabletop gaming community? Is. And is somewhere where we can and should do something about it - and somewhere where we have more leverage than other communities that may be worse.

To put this in perspective I want to ask how many of you thought like me...

If 1 week ago someone asked me "how many sexual assaults and how many rapes do you think happen at gen con"

My answer would have been less then that 500 but mine wouldn't be by d's I would assume since 2000 when I started going there would be less then 500 total... And I would have said 0 rapes...be use that was something that I would have heard...maybe at some point in the past they had something as bad as rape, but that would have to have been long ago...

Today 500-1000 a a day assaults some are rapes...

The con ist really 24hr but it opens early and runs late...so let's say 20hrs. 500 a day means about 25 an hour... Or about 1 every 2.25 minutes...

How long does it take to run a combat round at a 7-10 person table...how many people were sexually assaulted while we had 1 round vs some orcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads