D&D 4E Mike Mearls on how D&D 4E could have looked

OK on this "I would’ve much preferred the ability to adopt any role within the core 4 by giving players a big choice at level 1, an option that placed an overlay on every power you used or that gave you a new way to use them." Basically have Source Specific Powers and less class powers. But I think combining that with having BIG differing stances to dynamically switch role might be a better...

OK on this "I would’ve much preferred the ability to adopt any role within the core 4 by giving players a big choice at level 1, an option that placed an overlay on every power you used or that gave you a new way to use them."
Basically have Source Specific Powers and less class powers. But I think combining that with having BIG differing stances to dynamically switch role might be a better idea so that your hero can adjust role to circumstance. I have to defend this NPC right now vs I have to take down the big bad right now vs I have to do minion cleaning right now, I am inspiring allies in my interesting way, who need it right now.

and the obligatory
Argghhhh on this. " I wanted classes to have different power acquisition schedules"

And thematic differences seemed to have been carried fine.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
What data are you pulling these claims from?

Well since anecdotes suck.

WoW is an example where I can give data/you can easily look up, lol sure its a very different game but as high fantasy or epic fantasy genre

The most played two classes in WoW are basically Hunter(Ranger) and Fighter(Warrior).... and the Hunter I suspect out shines the Warrior slightly because having an animal companion

They really do not massively defeat other classes so its not definitive evidence .. the game qualifies as very different implementation... with the top two being dominantly martial.

Paladin also comes in pretty high.

The most popular caster class is Druid and they melee as beasts even more than casting.,

I might have mixed up European realms and US ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well since anecdotes suck.

WoW is an example where I can give data/you can easily look up, lol sure its a very different game but as high fantasy or epic fantasy genre

The most played two classes in WoW are basically Hunter(Ranger) and Fighter(Warrior).... and the Hunter I suspect out shines the Warrior slightly because having an animal companion

They really do not massively defeat other classes so its not definitive evidence .. the game qualifies as very different implementation... with the top two being dominantly martial.

Paladin also comes in pretty high.

The most popular caster class is Druid and they melee as beasts even more than casting.,

I might have mixed up European realms and US ones.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/276318/distribution-of-world-of-warcraft-characters-by-class/

It’s actually hunter > death knight > druid > paladin > warrior.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
My guess is, the overwhelming majority of 5e GMs wouldn’t make “reaching your hands into a forge for crafting an artifact” a permissible action declaration.

I’m 100 % certain the GM whose game I would stand-in for would not.
But why not, though?

Why isn't it "permissible" for a player to declare as an action "I reach right into the forge to continue the crafting of this artifact" (or something to similar intent)? Sure, it might be a stupid thing to do; and the character is extremely likely (if not outright guaranteed) to burn their own hands off...but that's no reason whatsoever to disallow someone from doing it.

Even if it was permissible and the DC was set at 30, the stoutest Dwarf in the land has an extremely remote chance of success without aid.
Now I'm wondering if you're using the word 'permissible' in a strange way. Permissible doesn't mean "having a chance of success", it means "allowed, as opposed to banned".

Meanwhile your Epic Wizard friend can accomplish this feat a number of ways through a singular lower level resource (for them...and they’ve got many, many resources at this point, and Cantrips, and the ability to continually cast some lower level spells...and Cast as Ritual) ; Conjure Minor (Fire) Elementals or Animate Objects and have them hold the artifact (this should for sure work) and possibly Fire Shield, Protection from Elements.
Perhaps this is why artificing and item creation isn't generally considered to be something that warrior types do...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Kind of wierd ordering it isnt in order of longest bar Warrior comes up higher on the list with variations by server

Again its not super definitive

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Having now read through all of this a few things leap out to me:

1. I might be misinterpreting, and if so please carry on, but it seems most of the discussion here is in regard to super-high-level stuff - all the talk of Conan and Elric and Hercules - and thus has limited relevance to the vast majority of tables whose games just never get that high. And with that said, if really-high-level epic stuff is what a particular table is looking to play most of the time, is D&D the right system or should that table be looking at some sort of supers game?

In all editions the 'sweet spot' of play generally seems to be the low-mid to mid levels (roughly 3rd-9th in 1e-2e, 3rd-12th in 3e, maybe 4th-14th in 4e) - D&D has never really done really high-level play all that well, mostly IMO because the PCs just get too big for the setting/fiction. 3e's fix for this was to make the setting (i.e. monsters) scale with the PCs, leading to some ridiculous outcomes mostly ending with there should be no commoners left alive on the planet. 5e's much better fix is to greatly narrow the power grade between low and high level.

2. A fair way back in the thread there was talk - from [MENTION=82504]Garthanos[/MENTION] I think but I could be mistaken - about how the genre of play is expected to change by tier in 4e. To me this would be a bug, not a feature, as it represents a built-in reduction of the system's flexibility for running different types of campaigns and-or storylines. If for example I want to run a courtly-intrigue campaign - limited combat, lots of skill challenges, mortal foes - yet still has the PCs advance through the levels I'd probably be fighting the system most of the way to prevent the PCs from becoming godlike in the setting by 12th level.

Now one could quite legitimately say that maybe 4e thus wouldn't be the best system for such a campaign...but that's just my point. Every campaign type that a system is ill-suited for is going to reduce that system's overall usefulness, and thus popularity.

3. Following on from 2, above: one very common type of story / campaign that 4e couldn't do very well was a true zero-to-hero progression. Sure it got the hero end right, but in 4e even at 1st level you're already something of a hero with abilities far above those of the average commoner - the system just doesn't do the 'zero' end well at all. As zero-to-hero is one of the most common tropes out there (e.g. Rand-Egwene-Nynaeve in WoT started as pretty much commoners, and neither Bilbo nor Frodo had much going for them before their great adventures came along) I'd count this as a major miss in 4e design. It needed about 3 more levels between commoner and its original 1st level in order to make zero-to-hero work in any sort of plausible fashion; and while I suppose one could add those in, it's work the system shouldn't make us have to do.

Not saying 5e's much better in this regard, mind you. :) The narrowed PC power grade still starts at a higher point than it should. 0-1-2-3e were better, however, in that a) there was much less gap between commoner and 1st level and b) one could easily add a 0th level and were even given guidance on how in 1e [in an adventure module] and 3e [tangentially, via the guidelines to start a dual-classed character at 0th-0th] to expand the 'zero' end if so desired.

4. There needs to be a 'simple' class in the game - no powers to look up, limited if any resource management beyond tracking h.p., just play your personality and ignore the mechanics - and that's what Fighters as a class (or a subclass) are best suited for. This class is there to be played by new players, or by those who aren't interested in mechanics, or by those whose favoured solution to problems in the fiction is just to hit them with a hammer until they go away...and like it or not, those groups represent a huge number of players!

Trying to shoehorn lots of powers or feats or abilities on to Fighters defeats this feature; and all of 3e (feats)-4e (AEDU)-5e (feats again*) have made this same mistake.

* - feats are in theory optional in 5e, but let's face it - in practice they're not.

So how to make these simple Fighters as powerful/useful at mid-to-high levels as everyone else? The game as designed wants to boost them to match the rest. I say the answer is the reverse: rein in everyone else until they (more or less) match the simple Fighter. Flatten the power grade.

Lan-"enough rambling for now"-efan

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Yeah I think part of the issue is when you see level 6 characters "routinely" (not all the time but common enough) pull off DC 30 skill checks....I think it can cause the DM to want to inflate skill DCs. But at that the same time the key is....that character isn't really supposed to fail on those skill checks. Its just what they do.

True, you're right but it really ends up undermining other characters due to the fact that DC creep means there's no point for them even trying things after a while, which I think is really problematic.

I would have been much happier if they'd done something like having Expertise grant automatic advantage on checks, some number of rerolls, or rolling D10+10 instead of a D20. That way the overall bonus wouldn't get so high but the character would be able to perform more reliably. This would reinforce just how insanely difficult achieving DC 25 or 30 is even for highly proficient characters.

IMO fearing multiple advantage (roll three take the better of them) isn't really worthwhile. The effect on the expected value isn't that huge and diminishes but it represents just how much more reliable a character with advantage is compared to one without.

I think that skill proficiency could well have worked with advantage instead of there being a flat bonus. WotC's big mistake when they implemented bounded accuracy for skills and saves was not to have an analog of hit points (i.e., requiring multiple successful rolls to complete many tasks) and relying on high static modifiers.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I have no interest in being prescriptive, but am rather interested in understanding, in descriptive terms, what has happened and is happening, to better comprehend what may happen.

Setting aside the rather huge number of players who have only ever played 5E at this point, there are four logical extreme categories of players:

A.) Hated 4E, hate 5E

B.) Loved 4E, hate 5E

C.) Hated 4E, love 5E

D.) Loved 4E, love 5E

Obviously, there is going to be a great deal of nuance and shade here, but this is the basic square of opposition. C & D are the two most common reactions, with A probably being a distant third most common.

What I am interested in from these sorts of conversations, is understanding where people fall on this spectrum, and why.

I guess I would be a slightly toned down D. I liked 4e and still think it had some great ideas (tougher 1st level PCs, at-will powers, evolving characters through paragon classes and epic destinies, the world axis with the gods vs. primordials). I like 5e and probably like it more than 4e I think because it feels similar to 2e and BECMI which are where I first started playing. I don't think either of them are perfect but if someone were to come to me and ask if I want to join a game of either then (assuming nothing else is going on in my life which, sadly, there isn't) I'm probably going to say yes.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
If for example I want to run a courtly-intrigue campaign - limited combat, lots of skill challenges, mortal foes - yet still has the PCs advance through the levels I'd probably be fighting the system most of the way to prevent the PCs from becoming godlike in the setting by 12th level.
Paragon isnt intrinsically god like in 4e that is more like 22. However at 11th there is a spike... in 1e land it was what you call name level (you know when the fighter gets his castle)

I personally am a protagonist of slowing advancement only doing so in response to the story and a desire to up the kinds of adversaries one is fighting against really
back in 1e you spent alot longer at lower levels

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads