Looking for D&D-like alternatives to D&D 5e

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
In one group I'm in the we're on hiatus because the DM and their spouse, who is one of the players, had a baby. Woo!

The DM is looking at moving away from 5e, but keeping to a similar style game. With the proliferation of post-OGL-debacle Fantasy Heartbreakers out there, he's been focusing on them. I'm the "system wonk" in our group, so I've been helping him look at them. The issue is that I believe we have some competing interests in the group. So all of us are way more informed than just I am, so I figured I'd crowd-source this out.

Still looking for a D&D-like fantasy experience, that works well in a 2.5-3 hour weeknight window. Also we have a wide gap in optimization ability and interest in the group, so something like 5e where one person is playing a concept character and another is playing an moderately optimized character aren't super far apart.

EDIT: We play online, so VTTs that help are a good selling point, especially for the established systems that I'd have to convince the DM to look at since he's focused just on the new crop.

The DM: Runs on a spectrum between trad and neo-trad, with a stated preference to shift more neo-trad for this upcoming campaign. While will play a variety of systems including Story Now, for him to run it needs to support that DMing style. Got burned out on 3.x, sees the cracks in 5e and wants to move on even though enjoyed it. While likes all aspects of running, specifically likes mechanical support for crunchier, tactical combat. Likes 4e but didn't get to play a lot so knows there are problems they haven't encountered. Which harkens back to cracks in 5e, especially balance between classes when running short adventuring days - in 4e everyone has the same. Has been primarily looking at the new crop of games like DC20, PF2R, MCDM, Daggerheart and Tales of the Valiant. Wants to do a test run before commiting, so lack of quickstart/playtest/SRD is a problem. Could be sold on other systems, but would need to be shown it's definitively a better fit than the ones he's looking at. Note: 13th Age 2nd Ed has been disqualified because it's not tactical grid combat, so that's a requirement. Also isn't interested in OSR.

The Professor: Super busy, wants to have a straightforward system that they can absorb and understand. (Straightforward doesn't neccesarily mean rules-lite - 5e was fine.) Works best if they understand mechanically what their character can do, doesn't appreciate more free-form RPGs. Once and done - doesn't want to learn lots of systems. Wants to be powerful, doesn't optimize but will make sure not to shoot themselves in the foot. Probably best with a system that's doesn't have half a dozen sourcebooks with character options. EDIT: Will not do well with lots of small situational bonuses.

The Dreamer: Not particularly into mechanics. Would not do well with a system with lots of fiddly bits, especially around character creation/advancement. No feat taxes/trap options sort of thing. Fine with 5e, mostly because it's what everybody plays, but also fine with PbtA, Fate, and other systems. Also the person who puts together all of the clues the DM has been dropping and figures out the big picture stuff. Doesn't optimize. EDIT: Will not do well with lots of small situational bonuses.

Mr. and Mrs. Professional: Another couple, both whom are DMs of other games, including doing things like paid DM gigs at "D&D in a Castle" events. Experience with multiple systems. They both pick up systems quickly, and like to make quite able/powerful but interesting characters. Expect the least trouble with picking up a new system, though one is laid back and will go with whatever the DM says and the other is a bit more nitpicky about addressing their own wants.

Me: Likes a variety of systems, but never tried PF1 because of how burned out I was from 3ed and 3.5. Don't want to have to preplan a character's advancement to make it work. Have the most fun reigning in optimization to be where the group's power level is, and am concerned if that's a wide gap between the optimizers and non-optimizers in the group. More into neo-trad and Story Now, but I do like a robust character creation/advancement system. EDIT: While the DM likes 4e, two problems I had with it were: far too many conditions to evaluate on different tokens, and one player prone to decision paralysis will slow combat to a halt. I'd like to avoid those.

I just went back through and underlined some important parts. And just to reiterate, needs a crunchy, tactical, grid-based combat that still goes quick enough not to dominate a 2.5-3 hour session.

So, what will resonate the DM so that he wants to run it, but would also be a decent fit for the players?

Last edited:

Depending on how close to D&D it needs to be, Savage Worlds, either with Fantasy Companion or Savage Pathfinder might be an option. It would still rank it mid-crunch, but grid-based combat is at least an option (we typically play ToTM when we play Savage Worlds, but the rules for grid-based combat are there). I can also attest that 2.5-3 hour sessions work fine for us (we play bi-weekly).
Only drawback might be that the only free quickstart (at least as far as I know) is this one: Deadlands the Weird West: Blood on the Range (Savage Worlds Test Drive #SWADE). Which, as the name indicates, is for Deadlands, so not a fantasy setting.
The core rules are available for $10 currently, though (as PDF). So not too expensive.

Blue

Depending on how close to D&D it needs to be, Savage Worlds, either with Fantasy Companion or Savage Pathfinder might be an option. It would still rank it mid-crunch, but grid-based combat is at least an option (we typically play ToTM when we play Savage Worlds, but the rules for grid-based combat are there). I can also attest that 2.5-3 hour sessions work fine for us (we play bi-weekly).
Only drawback might be that the only free quickstart (at least as far as I know) is this one: Deadlands the Weird West: Blood on the Range (Savage Worlds Test Drive #SWADE). Which, as the name indicates, is for Deadlands, so not a fantasy setting.
The core rules are available for $10 currently, though (as PDF). So not too expensive.
As I mentioned, for me to pitch a different system instead of one of the new crop, it really needs to be superior. Can you tell me why these would beat the options listed?

As I mentioned, for me to pitch a different system instead of one of the new crop, it really needs to be superior. Can you tell me why these would beat the options listed?
Ok, I see. This makes it a bit trickier since I don't have a lot of hands-on experience with the listed systems (and really only surface knowledge about DC20 and MCDM).
The main pitch based on my experience would be that, at least to me, Savage Worlds in many ways feels like a cleaned up and streamlined version of 3e. Rules are comprehensive and cover most situations, you have talents (edges) to customize your character, you advance in power over time, and you have a number of spelled-out options in combat. Compared to 3e, though, there is a lot less fiddly modifiers, you don't need to plan your characters ahead (though you can do that if you want), and you have good abstractions to handle more complex situations (dramatic tasks, chase tracks with cards). So for me, it's a lot easier to keep the relevant rules in my head when playing, and I feel combat is a lot less likely to get bogged down in options and drawn out over multiple hours. Also the power curve is flatter, so you don't go from farm boy to god killer, but rather from capable rookie to legendary (but skill killable) adventurer. This IMO makes planning and running campaigns a bit easier (compared to D&D campaigns going over 15 or even 20 levels).
That being said, the feeling is distinct from D&D and I know a few players who strongly dislike Savage Worlds due to its uses of Bennies as a meta currency. If that's the case for the people in your group, then my proposed option is probably not a good one for your group.

Last edited:

edhel

Explorer
Worlds Without Number (my favorite, and easily hackable by adding the best elements from other OSR games)
Dragonbane & Forbidden Lands (from Free League)
Low Fantasy Gaming
Dungeon Crawl Classic (mostly for ideas and the spell system)

Blue

Dragonbane & Forbidden Lands (from Free League)
Low Fantasy Gaming
Dungeon Crawl Classic (mostly for ideas and the spell system)
I've been hearing good things elsewhere about Dragonbane, can you give me the elevator pitch? I like Free League, I'm running a Vaesen game myself for a different group. Forbidden Lands has a more hex-crawl exploration focus, or am I misremembering?

Again, the DM has been focusing on the new crop of games, so I'd have to sell him on other game as better for the group to even have him look at them. What specifics for Low Fantasy Gaming or DCC? I mentioned he's not interested in OSR, aren't they?

Worlds Without Number (my favorite, and easily hackable by adding the best elements from other OSR games)
Unfortunately hacking anything is entirely off the list. The Professor will want a system, in place, that they can read the PDF and be done with.

Juxtapozbliss

Adventurer
Shadow of the Demon Lord or Soulbound. My D&D players quite enjoyed SotDL but the setting is pretty grimdark. The rules are D&D adjacent. Soulbound embraces epic fantasy, higher powered than D&D to start. Like starting characters are a bit more like 5th lvl D&D. Kind of. I’m reading the rules right now, and I really dig them. The starter set is solid and your DM can listen to a couple live plays that are available on YouTube going through it. Makes it pretty easy to learn.

Remove ads