It’s LAUNCH DAY For The Pathfinder 2 Playtest!

Today’s the day! You can now download the Pathfinder 2nd Edition playtest book!

Today’s the day! You can now download the Pathfinder 2nd Edition playtest book!

FC597426-ACD3-4427-B8BD-7AEC778B32B9.png

Head on over to Paizo.com to download it for free.

Its tinged with a little sadness for those of us who preordered the hard copy, as issues with Amazon means that our copies have been delayed by an indefinite amount.

’’When Paizo was planning this year's Pathfinder Playtest, we expected to exceed our own ability to fulfill orders on a timely basis, so we decided to use Fulfillment by Amazon. Unfortunately, Amazon's reports indicate that most customers will not be receiving their orders by tomorrow's release date. They shipped 3 orders on July 28, 3 more on July 29, and no orders on July 30 or 31. Today, they have shipped almost 10% of the outstanding orders, and they are continuing to ship through the night and into tomorrow. They have so far been unable to tell us when they will complete shipping.”

However, at least the PDFs are still available for free in the meantime.

Adventure chapters are also available alongside the rule book, with the first being available today. They are as follows:

1. The Lost Star, Aug 7 - Aug 26 (Also available at Gen Con on Aug 2.)
  2. In Pale Mountain’s Shadow, Aug 7 - Sep 9
  3. Affair At Sombrefell Hall, Sep 10 - Sep 23
  4. The Mirrored Moon, Sep 24 - Oct 8
  5. The Heroes Of Undarin, Oct 9 - Oct 21
  6. Red Flags, Oct 22 - Nov 4
  7. When The Stars Go Dark, Nov 5 - Nov 18

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Your assessment would have been far more credible and your questions far more "relevant" if you did not feel obligated to insert your raging bias in the bold.

Appealing to people just like CapnZapp has to be Paizo's goal, though: people who play D&D but want something more intricate and involved than 5E. He is quite possibly their ideal potential customer.

houser2112

Explorer
Calling a feat a tax when it isn't, isn't.

I think you need to define "feat tax" then. I define it as "feat you have to take to get some other feat, that you wouldn't take on its own merits".

Again, this is no different than multiclassing in other games/editions to get what you want. You ended up with class features you didn't need or want in order to get the ones that you did. Having to get something you don't want when you pay a cost to get something you do want is not a tax.

It is quite different. I didn't have to multiclass to advance a fighting style in 3.PF. I could do it faster by multiclassing into fighter because fighter granted combat feats, but I could do it entirely with general feats if I so desired.

It can't qualify as a tax, because it's not required that you take it.

I don't understand this argument. If a non-fighter wants Point-Blank Shot, Double Shot, and Triple Shot, they have to take Fighter Dedication. "Tax?" may be a subjective argument, but "Prerequisite?" is not.

Reynard

Legend
Appealing to people just like CapnZapp has to be Paizo's goal, though: people who play D&D but want something more intricate and involved than 5E. He is quite possibly their ideal potential customer.
Only if folks like CapnZapp are willing to put their preconceived notions and biases aside and give the game a honest fair shot. It is likely a waste of Paizo's time, energy and marketing budget to try and pry people out of their own assertions.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

I do kinda feel like “D&D Advanced” is the pitch which would appeal to me. I haven’t seen it yet (my preorder is yet to arrive, and I can’t read long PDFs) but it’s still my major anticipated game for that exact reason.

Reynard

Legend
I do kinda feel like “D&D Advanced” is the pitch which would appeal to me. I haven’t seen it yet (my preorder is yet to arrive, and I can’t read long PDFs) but it’s still my major anticipated game for that exact reason.
I think a lot of folks would like that option. I don't think that is what PF2 is, however. It seems much more aimed at streamlining PF's complexity while maintaining its fiddliness appeal and baking in the setting lore more than PF1. Does that make it a Fantasy Heartbreaker? Possibly, though it would still be the largest and most successful one.

Aldarc

Legend
Why and how so? It seems as if CapnZapp already has his pitch perfect game in 5e, with 1+ last thread on balancing it. His main criticism of Pathfinder 1 and Pathfinder 2 so far has been that it is not 5e. It's not criticizing that New Coke isn't Coke, but that New Coke isn't Cherry Pepsi. I'm skeptical that you can please that sort of customer or that these should be your target audience. If that customer is hellbent on wanting the other game to be 5e, then there is no point on making that game into 5e just to appease them when they already have 5e to play.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Why and how so? It seems as if CapnZapp already has his pitch perfect game in 5e, with 1+ last thread on balancing it. His main criticism of Pathfinder 1 and Pathfinder 2 so far has been that it is not 5e. It's not criticizing that New Coke isn't Coke, but that New Coke isn't Cherry Pepsi. I'm skeptical that you can please that sort of customer or that these should be your target audience. If that customer is hellbent on wanting the other game to be 5e, then there is no point on making that game into 5e just to appease them when they already have 5e to play.

Oh, absolutely. If what you want is 5E, and your main criticism is that something isn’t 5E, Pathfinder isn’t for you.

Kurviak

Explorer
I am assuming Paizo is gunning for Pathfinder levels of success.

However - you could be right and I could be wrong. I guess Paizo could be content with a small slice of the pie.

They officially said they are not competing with wotc because that will be suicide for them

Parmandur

Book-Friend

You have apparently not seen many of his 5E posts: he has numerous, loudly shared criticisms of the system, and a crunchy alternative is what he has been asking for. Repeatedly.

Thinking that 5E is the current high watermark in the the RPG industry doesn't mean that he has some insurmountable bias, or that Paizo should discount him as a customer. Disgruntled D&D fans who want more crunch is how Paizo built their house. If they simultaneously alienate PF1 fans, and fail to attract 5E fans from the margins...to whom are they selling?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh, absolutely. If what you want is 5E, and your main criticism is that something isn’t 5E, Pathfinder isn’t for you.

What CapnZapp has expressed a desire for isn't 5E, but a game incorporating the OGL lessons from 5E while providing a different, crunchier experience. This is something PF2 could have been.

Remove ads

Remove ads