KWJ: What would you like to see on the blog?

What do you want to see on Kulan World Journal?

• Characters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Deities and Religions

• History about the World

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Kulanspace

• Kulan's Underearth

• Monsters and Villains

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Organizations

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Planes of Existence

• Urban Settings

• Other (Your Choice [tell me])

Votes: 1 16.7%

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
[MENTION=49929]Scott DeWar[/MENTION], [MENTION=2]Piratecat[/MENTION], [MENTION=371]Hand of Evil[/MENTION], [MENTION=40227]freyar[/MENTION], [MENTION=1210]the Jester[/MENTION], and [MENTION=172]Psion[/MENTION].

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Also, my pbp players (past and present): [MENTION=478]Thanee[/MENTION], [MENTION=27761]Blackrat[/MENTION], [MENTION=54810]renau1g[/MENTION], [MENTION=23023]Dog Moon[/MENTION], [MENTION=51271]Voda Vosa[/MENTION], [MENTION=11520]Scotley[/MENTION], [MENTION=6776182]JustinCase[/MENTION], and [MENTION=11456]Tailspinner[/MENTION].

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Thanks for the invite to post. Gave my votes and I shall eagerly await your posts.

Same as Scotley!
Hmm, it looks like Organizations has taken an early lead. I'll definitely be looking to add an article series based on that concept. Perhaps for my second "Rivalries" article -- two Harqualian organizations that are bitter rivals. Hmm, I'll have to think about that more.

I've yet to come up with an idea for my first "Warmongers" article. Perhaps some monstrous villainy that ties into Triadora.

I've created so little for the Underearth. I'll have to brainstorm something new for it -- something besides duergar and morlocks. Hmm, maybe something about the steam gnomes* of Kanpur.

I could delve into the history of the Strandlands since my EN World pbp group is adventuring in that land. Or I could take a part of my Harqualian timeline and expand upon it. The Time of the Black Wars, for example. I don't want Harqual to dominate the blog, so maybe I'll pick something else. I could finish my history of Janardûn. I've been putting that off.

For urban settings, I'm already doing an article about Alarân, the capital city of Janardûn's republic, for the first set of articles. I haven't started the outline for that one quite yet. I wasn't going to delve back into "Cityscape" again right away since I want my next "On Kulan" article to be about Bluffside or, maybe, Shelzar. But I could always one of those and an article based on one of my homebrewed cities. Ooh, I could do a key mountain city of the nagpa on the Fallenlands. I like that idea.

* Incorporated into Kulan from the Bluffside setting.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
What if "Underneath" was 'peopled' by oread and fungal creatures?
I do have a lsit of the "creatures/races" that I want to populate my Underearth with: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?p=81883#p81883

For the link wary, here's a look at Kulan's underdark from a races perceptive. Beyond what I've written here and as part of the Harqualian duergar PC race entry (also on The Piazza), I've created almost nothing for the Underearth.

I like the "Underneath" name you coined. Do you use that yourself for the underdark in your own campaigns? I could see it as an alternative name used on one of Kulan's continents. The Fallenlands might be a good choice. Its 1,000 years of isolation would lend itself to have its own terminology for different basic RPG tropes. A sort of Fallenlanden Cant, so yo speak.

Knightfall @ The Piazza said:
Races of the Underearth
There aren't any (native) drow on Kulan. It was a decision I made early on in the world's development. However, drow have existed on Kulan during its history. The race invaded Kulan's underdark (through magical portals) in the distant past and would have spread throughout the Underearth if the native races of the Dark Deep hadn't rose up and beat the drow back. The call for war against the dark elves was spearheaded by two races — the duergar and the morlocks. They hunted the drow invaders to near extinction. The dark elves that survived fled through their portals or ascended to the surface world on the continent of Kanpur. (These drow bred with the native elves of Kanpur and their descendants became the race known as the Nevaequariani [or Navae]. This half-drow, half-elf race doesn't exist in the Underearth; they are only native to the continent of Kanpur.)

After the war ended, the morlocks turned on their allies. They attempted to wipe out the other races of Kulan's underdark and claim the entire Dark Deep. If the duergar hadn't been prepared for their treachery, the morlocks might have succeeded. Regardless, they are now one of the dominant races of the Underearth. The duergar's numbers have been greatly reduced and many of their clans were forced to ascend to the world's surface as well. The actions of the morlocks changed the racial demographics of the Underearth. The primary races are those that managed to stay one step ahead of the morlock hordes or that weren't, initially, marked for extermination. Deep dwarves and rockseer elves are the most numerous of the demihuman races living in Kulan's underdark. There are also high numbers of the following races: deep minotaur, dromite, grimlock, kuo-toa, nightling, skulk, and underfolk.

PRIMARY
● Changeling
● Deep fey
● Doppelganger
● Draconic creature [Template]
● Dromite
● Dwarf, deep
● Elf, rockseer
● The Feytouched
● Fremlin †
● Geckofolk
● Gloaming
● Goblin, coal
● Grimlock
● Half-Kuo-Toa
● Half-Troll [Template]
● Huggermugger
● Ittakken
● Kuo-Toa
● Mal'Orm
● Minotaur
● Minotaur, deep
● Morlock
● Nightling
● Ogre, earth
● Skulk
● Snailfolk
● Tanarukk
● Underfolk
● Urgoda
● Slyth
● Troglodyte

SECONDARY
● Arach
● Avolakia
● The Baklath †
● Bhuta
● Blade breaker
● Boggle
● Chitine
● Diopsid
● Dracovaran †
● Dragonborn [Modified] †
● Dwarf, Duergar
● Elf, shadow
● Gaurzam dai
● Gnome, steam
● Half-Dragon [Template]
● Half-Fey [Template]
● Half-Fiend, Durzagon
● Half-Illithid [Template]
● Igran-Krider
● Jungen
● Lasher
● Lasher beast
● Leytru
● Lurker
● Ngakoi
● Noja
● Nowyr
● Quaggoth
● Silid
● Stonechild
● Svirfneblin
● Troll, cave
● Troll, shadow
● Vallorian
● Zeidian, deep
● Zenythri

† Homebrewed racial traits.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
It, the term "underneath", may have been lurking in my mind (A dark and dngerous place to lurk, even on the best of days) after reading a book that had what was known as "London below" that I recently read called Neverwhere by Neil Gaimon. It does have a "name whispered by the common folk in the above" feel to it. Is huggermugger one of the dark folk? I can see how they, the dark folk, would develop in the underneath to mimic a society of their own - Twisted by to survive the nameless horrors they endured for a thousand years.

Remove ads