CONAN LIVES! Info on the new Conan RPG

Water Bob

Adventurer
Plus, this conversion booklet - it still takes time and effort to create, and it can't be done for free (naturally - given the choice between work that pays the bills and work that doesn't...). It's a solid idea in theory... but the practicalities of it make it less ideal. It's worth bringing up, but the whole thing is above my pay grade (and would take more time than I have to spare).

I was suggesting something simple, LIKE THIS CONVERSION Thulsa did for his Pathfinder based Spider God's Bride anthology of adventures.

I was thinking it would be a separate pdf that players could download from your web site, or put it up on DriveThruRPG. Don't take up any space in the proper book.

If you just did D&D 3.5 E, which you could do without a paying for a license, you'd probably pick up the Mongoose Conan, the D&D 3E, and the Pathfinder crowds--a substantial number of players.

If you couldn't do it for free, as a perk for buying the game, that's understandable. Make the pdf a little more pretty and slap a cost of a few bucks on it.

Water Bob

Adventurer
INTERESTING COMMENTS ON THE GAME IN THIS BLOG - CLICKY, CLICKY.

The author says...

...let me make a quick point about the game itself. So far, I don’t like it and I don’t think I’ll like it anytime soon. In fact, not ever, I imagine. See, it’s the bloody awful 2d20 system that just sucks the life out of the game.

But, he also says that he's going to buy the game. Why? He says...

All that being said, I will be buying the game. They will still be getting my money, and, perhaps more importantly, I think they should get yours as well.

Why? For me, the main reason is, I’m wholly committed to the Hyborian Age and I’m hungry for the resources and modules they’ll be offering. It will be a simple matter for me to convert the whole thing to the system of my choice.

Secondly, I respect what Modiphius is doing (even if I don’t like the system chosen). Chris Birch is pulling in some of the finest artists, developers, and Howard scholars available. This is going to be a brilliant product.

Water Bob

Adventurer
THIS BLOG REFRAINS FROM EVALUATION, Clicky, clicky.

But, it's got a decent run-down of how the game works, for those of you reading this thread and interested in the 2d20 System (Which definitely has its supporters.)

Note that "Dark Symmetry dice" below means "Threat". That's the Threat mechanic spoken of there. The moniker has changed.

The in-house roleplaying game system of Modiphius Games, future publisher of the Conan rpg, seems to have the following characteristics, according to the informations I wa able to gather thus far:

- The characters have 8 attributes: Agility, Awareness, Co-ordination, Intelligence, Mental Strength, Personality, Physique, Strength

- Under each attribute are the skills, défined by 2 numbers, Expertise and Focus.

- The system works as follow: we roll 2 twenty-sided dice. We have to get a result under a target number, which is the sum of Attribute+Expertise.

- Each result under the target number is a success. Each result under the Focus count as an extra success.

- We can roll more than 2D20. If we do it, the Game Master gains as many dice as Dark Symmetry dice, that he can use to activate the adversaries' special abilities, activate equipment malfunctions and other goodies for the player's characters. They also apparently allow the Game Master to act before the player's characters, who otherwise have by default the initiative in each round.

- If one of the dice is a natural 20, a complication happens. If one of the dice is a 20 and the other indicates a failure, a critical failure happens.

- The damages are localized on the character's body (which generally has the drawback of slowing the pace of the game). Only "serious" and "critical" wounds aren't localized.

- There is a Mental Wounds system.

I was suggesting something simple, LIKE THIS CONVERSION Thulsa did for his Pathfinder based Spider God's Bride anthology of adventures.

I was thinking it would be a separate pdf that players could download from your web site, or put it up on DriveThruRPG. Don't take up any space in the proper book.

If you just did D&D 3.5 E, which you could do without a paying for a license, you'd probably pick up the Mongoose Conan, the D&D 3E, and the Pathfinder crowds--a substantial number of players.

If you couldn't do it for free, as a perk for buying the game, that's understandable. Make the pdf a little more pretty and slap a cost of a few bucks on it.

It's not a bad idea, Bob. Not up to us though. I'll mention it to Chris though.

Water Bob

Adventurer
It's not a bad idea, Bob. Not up to us though. I'll mention it to Chris though.

I hope Chris likes the idea. If you guys make it easy for me to use Mongoose Conan rules with your adventures and supplements, I'll buy everything you publish. I won't need the main rulebook, since I won't be playing 2d20. But, if there are Mongoose Conan conversion books for everything else, supplements, adventures, what-not, I'll buy it. Because, I can use it in my game.

Misfit Studios prints three excellent supplements for use with Mongoose's Conan game, and they are 100% compatible. I'm sure they do this only using the open Wizard's license (and they don't mention "Conan" in these books but instead call it OGL Barbarian.

Note that the booklets have Mongoose Conan specific stats (stuff not seen in a normal d20 OGL book), like Base Parry and Base Dodge bonuses for character classes, complete Conan stats for shields, combat maneuvers, and the like.

If they can do that, I'm sure you can make specific conversion booklets akin to the one Thulsa made for his adventure anthology for no cost, just using the open license. Plus, you guys have the right to use the name "Conan" and talk about other aspects of the Hyborian Age.

The Barbaric Warrior

Barbaric Treasures

The Barbaric Sorcerer

The "Conan" Crowd

I'd definitely do one for the Mongoose Conan RPG.

But, also think about doing one for Zeb's Fantasy Roleplaying System - ZeFRS. It's the old TSR system used in their original Conan game. I'm sure that will be free to use.

Other Conversion Booklets

Do one for Savage Worlds, since you said that you get a lot of requests for it. Here's a fan made Savage Worlds supplement for Conan: The Savage Sword of Conan.

Do one for Pathfinder. Free and lots of players. Plus, if you do one for Mongoose Conan, this one is pretty much done anyway.

Do one for 3.5E D&D. Free and lots of players. If you do Mongoose Conan, this one will just take a little more work, and its done.

You might also consider

Doing one for other swords & sorcery type games, if the license is cheap/free. Babarians of Lemuria anyone? Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea?

This way, you spread your net wide for the largest number of Conan/Swords & Sorcery players out there. Make the supplements and adventures useful for anyone who plays in the genre, regardless of the rule system they are using.

Maybe you'll pick up some 2d20 converts along the way.

N01H3r3

Explorer
The only think I am not liking about the game so far is hit locations. Will there be a variant rule not to use those?
Yes, there will.

Broadly, there are three approaches to hit locations which will be in the book.

Random hit locations (roll a d20 when you hit, to determine where the target is hit; attacker can spend Momentum to pick the hit location instead).

Selected hit locations (when you hit, the defender picks where he's hit; attacker can spend Momentum to pick the hit location instead)

No hit locations (just assume that all attacks hit the torso)

Injuries will come with two variants - general, and specific. General injuries impose a difficulty increase on all physical tasks, specific injuries have effects determined by the location they're inflicted on).

fjw70

Adventurer
Yes, there will.

Broadly, there are three approaches to hit locations which will be in the book.

Random hit locations (roll a d20 when you hit, to determine where the target is hit; attacker can spend Momentum to pick the hit location instead).

Selected hit locations (when you hit, the defender picks where he's hit; attacker can spend Momentum to pick the hit location instead)

No hit locations (just assume that all attacks hit the torso)

Injuries will come with two variants - general, and specific. General injuries impose a difficulty increase on all physical tasks, specific injuries have effects determined by the location they're inflicted on).

Thanks.

Water Bob

Adventurer
[MENTION=6799909]N01H3r3[/MENTION]

I understand the movement system isn't traditional, either. It's some sort of abstract system, yes?

Can you explain it a bit for our viewers (and me!).

Remove ads