D&D 5E Geniuses with 5 Int

G

Guest 6801328

The default is the real world, unless and until it's changed.

What?!?!?! Maybe in YOUR games. What if an SCA geek isn't available? I don't even know what "Heavy Cavalry" is in the historical sense, as distinguished from "Light Cavalry", nor do I really care. (Which I put in the same category of irrelevance as "How heavy was actual plate armor?" "Is dual-wielding effective?" and "How freaking awesome are katanas?")

And post hoc reasoning is poor reasoning.

Seriously? You may only narrate things in which you've thought through every possible permutation, so that you won't have to add details or retcon later? Christ what a restrictive way to RPG. That would suck all the joy out of the game for me.

The narration you favor has now locked in heavy cavalry as whatever you've described it as, meaning that everyone else now has to go with your narration because you've established this fact about the game world.

Patently false. Those are MY heavy cavalry. You are free to describe your own.

...you imagined that I would and then posted that I'm the type of person that would make this argument you imagined.

It was meant not as "you're the type of person..." but "this is the type of argument you are making..." (Which it is.) If you want to continue to believe I'm putting words in your mouth, or to extend "imagine" to other less savory realms, that's your choice.

The rules do clearly lay out that the players can declare their actions but then the DM narrates the results.

Citation on that? Keeping in mind that determining the mechanical result and narrating the fluff are* two different things.

*Perhaps I should say "can be" two different things, which seems to be the core of the disagreement on this topic.

G

Guest 6801328

I can't believe how many brain cells I've wasted on this thread. Thanks for the insights into how other people view RPGs. I've said my last.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Do you really need an explanation for why this is neither sound logic nor persuasive argument?

Sorry, but no. Not being written in the rules = not RAW is not only sound logic, but it's an absolute fact.

But you haven't addressed the point that those "few DMs" are also making a house rule, because the description of Fireball does not say this sort of fire doesn't light combustibles. You're the one saying that the language around Int is totally clear by using blanket definitions of "recall", "reason", to cover lots of things that aren't actually listed. (Such as the bizarre notion that estimation is the same as reason.)

No change to a rule = no house rule. Letting a rule as written be the default is not making a ruling or a house rule.

Well the common meaning of "fire" is the red flickery stuff that lights combustibles. So those DMs are house-ruling, by your definition, by insisting that *this* fire doesn't light anything. That's not a whole lot different from me using a non-linear definition of "measures" in the sentence "measures ability to reason".

Fire does not always light combustibles. Wood is combustible, but green wood will often not light with a fire. By RAW fireball lights nothing. By common sense, virtually all DMs would allow it to at least burn highly combustibles and perhaps more.

However, I still see the sentiment. This idea that everything in the PHB & DMG that tries to illustrate or clarify or add color is a "rule" I find very weird, and quasi-religious.

You don't see the sentiment from me. You'll see me argue what RAW is and says, but that doesn't mean that I hold it in such high regard that I don't habitually sacrifice it to make the game better.

At first I was going to write that of course all rules are mechanical. But on further thought that's not quite accurate. You certainly could have a rule that dictated non-mechanical things, such as "All Devotion Paladins must put angelic wings on their shield or helm." And that would not be mechanical unless it interacted with mechanics, e.g., the existence of a spell that only affected targets with angelic wings on their helm or shield.

But the worthlessness of such "rules", in the sense that they don't interact with any mechanics, leads me to conclude that those things aren't rules; they are fluff.

Clearly your opinion differs. And maybe it's because you don't think they're worthless. If, for example, somebody thought that it was really important to the integrity of the game and the aesthetic of the storytelling to insist that Devotion Paladins put angelic wings on their helms and shields, then I could see such a person saying, "That's a rule!"

Likewise, if a hypothetical person thought that playing a Low Int Genius is contrary to the intended aesthetic of the game, then the explanation for Int itself might be perceived as a "Rule".

LOL I suppose that's as close as I can expect you to come to agreeing with me. I'll take it! ;)

A rule is anything that you are supposed to follow, mechanical or otherwise.

And you are still stubbornly conflating narration and mechanics. Mechanically she is not lying because mechanically she does not know the answer. Mechanically she doesn't think she knows the answer. Mechanically in the box on the character sheet that says "Answer to Riddle" there is a blank. By insisting that she either knows the answer or even thinks she knows the answer...by writing something in that box...you are changing the mechanics of the first Int check.

Let me try it with your analogy above. There is this answer box. The box on the sheet doesn't care if the answer is correct or not. As long as something is written in the box, it's an answer to that riddle. Her patron has given her an answer to the riddle, so there is in fact something now written there.

I have not actually changed the mechanics of the int check, because the answer in that box is incorrect if she failed it, and correct if she succeeded. The mechanics of the check are intact.

Now Zone of Truth comes into play. It doesn't care if an answer is correct or not. It just wants the truth and forces an answer that cannot be a lie, and can be incorrect if the PC failing the save believes that she knows the truth, and Eloelle does know the truth, just not the correct truth. She has to say that truth to the caster as she failed her save. To say anything else is to alter the mechanics of Zone of Truth.

Now, after she gives the "answer" to the riddle and the caster tries it and it's not correct, Eloelle has an interesting opportunity to discuss with her patron why he lied to her. That interaction doesn't happen if you let the narrative change the Zone of Truth mechanics to have her lie and say she refuses to answer.

It doesn't matter what I narrate: she failed her Int check; she doesn't have an answer.

(I suspect this bit about "thinks she knows the answer" is an attempt to turn my narration into self-delusion, but now you are changing my RP choices. Thanks for the suggestion but no thanks.)

That doesn't matter to me as I'm not trying to turn your concept int a self-delusion. Eloelle as a self-delusion or Eloelle as someone in contact with a real entity are both great concepts. She can really know an incorrect answer. That changes nothing. She still has to give that incorrect answer that she really knows to the caster.

I'll just reply to this.

Logical ability and ability in scientific reasoning are not the same thing. Nor are other forms of reasoning. I've had the good fortune to know a number of very brilliant mathematicians. They are not all good philosophers, although one of them is not too bad at it, which I learned when I was his first year tutor. Nor are they all good physicists - the one who studied philosophy did so because he had no interest or inclination to take any natural science units as part of his degree. One of them tried to be good at literary criticism, but dropped out of that component of his studies to focus on mathematics; while another won a writing competition in his home town while still an undergraduate student.

What is the D&D stat for literary criticism? For being good at philosophy but not chemistry, or vice versa? For being good at mathematics but not the natural sciences?

In the real world, these are not all the same thing.

In the interests of simplicity, 5e doesn't have the separation of subjects of skills that we do in the real world. Its more like bad films where the "scientist" is both an expert in quantum physics and mechanical engineering. In the same way that Athletics covers everything from wrestling to jumping.

As to your examples:
Literary Criticism I'd probably split into Int(Investigation) for the analysis and Cha(Performance) for the presentation of the criticism. Int(History) might be useful as well for comparison to previous works.

Chemistry and the Natural Sciences would probably fall under Int(Arcana) in a magical D&D world.
Philosophy in a single roll I'd likely summarise to Cha(History) for the understanding of the past and current philosophies, and the ability to debate them eloquently. More likely split into Int(History) for the knowledge, Wis to understand an opponent's argument and then Cha(Performance) to explain your position in a manner that is understandable, engaging and hard to counter. In a D&D world, Int(Religion) would likely also play a factor.)
Mathematics at a D&D world level I'd probably go with straight Int since its unlikely to be advanced into a single skill as in our world without straying into the realms of philosophy or arcana.

pemerton

Legend
In the interests of simplicity, 5e doesn't have the separation of subjects of skills that we do in the real world. Its more like bad films where the "scientist" is both an expert in quantum physics and mechanical engineering. In the same way that Athletics covers everything from wrestling to jumping.
Sure. But this is what (in the context of DEX) allows Gygax to say that a low-DEX character might nevertheless be agile. It is what allows [MENTION=205]TwoSix[/MENTION] to say that the hobgoblin with the withered dominant arm nevertheless is brawny of build. And - with a bit of further stretching but no obvious breaking - allows [MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] to say that the character whose love-befuddlement leads to saying and doing silly things, or whose devotion to/control by a patron/tiger leads him/her to always assert falsehoods and make irrational choices, is nevertheless very clever.

The alternative is to say that Gygax, TwoSix and Elfcrusher have got it wrong, and that the low DEX (or STR, or INT) character must be poor at all of it, just as the high DEX (or STR, or INT) character is good at all of it. There's nothing wrong with that narration for a particular character, but is it mandated in general by the rules of the game?

For what it's worth, on this point I'm inclined to side with Gygax. Which naturally leads me to sympathise also with TwoSix and Elfcrusher.

pemerton

Legend
So are you saying that fireballs are not able to set combustibles alight by default? I don't see anything in the description that says it won't. Which leaves us in the curious position that if the player asks, "Does the fireball set the oil-drenched straw alight?" to even answer the question is making up a house rule.
You know what else you don't see in the description that it says it won't do? You don't see it saying it won't change the cloths of every baby in the D&D universe. Nor does it say it won't make me a cheese sandwich while I read this thread. So I guess it does those things by default, just the same as lighting fires.
Hesitant as I am to quote myself, the following seems pretty relevant to this:

no set of rules covers all the cases it has to when taken strictly literally, with no entailment or extrapolation permitted.

Some of the entailments are obvious and uncontentious (eg the rules tell us that recovering 1 hp takes 1 day of rest; and so we extrapolate that if my PC is 7 hp down that wil take a week of rest to recover).

Some of the entailments are more contentious. For instance, the rules tell us that alchemist's fire, burning oil and a lighted torch all do fire damage (SRD pp 66, 68), and also tell us (under the heading "Damage Types -") that "Red dragons breathe fire, and many spells conjure flames to deal fire damage" (SRD p 97). This seems to me to support extrapolation to "fire damage is the result of being burned by flames". It is pretty uncontentious that flames can set timber structures alight. Hence, I see an extrapolation to "fire damage can set timber structures alight". The extrapolations here are weaker than strict entailment, but they're much stronger than mere conjecture, or mere permissible selection from a range of feasible alternatives.
There is no permissible extrapolation from the text around fireballs and fire damage to sandwich-making and clothes-changing. Whereas the extrapolation to a fireball being able to set combustible materials alight is incredibly strong, given that it does the same sort of damage (fire damage!) as burning oil, torches and alchemist's fire, all of which have the obvious capacity to set things alight.

I don't think the notion of "by default" has any work to do here, and neither [MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] nor I has used it. The relevant notion, rather is how to describe these extrapolations from rules which are, of necessity, incomplete in what they literally state in express words.

Here's another example: the equipment list contains jugs and pitchers (Basic PDF, p 48). But there is no entry for these items. Is it a house rule for a GM to declare that a jug can hold fluids? That a jug might spill if it is full of water and being carried by a running person, or a person walking across a balance beam?

Is it a house rule to permit a player to successfully declare "My character bangs her sword in her shield to make a noise, so as to try and attract attention?" The fact that swords banged on shields might make noise isn't called out in the rules.

None of these rulings would be a departure from rules as written. They are all interpretations of, or applications of, the rules as they are written.

Rules as WRITTEN is what RAW means.
The rules are intended to be applied. That is what they are for. Deciding that something starts burning because within the AoE of a fireball isn't changing the rules, or adding to the rules. It's applying the rules - in this case, the rule that (i) fireballs do fire damage, and (ii) fire damage is the sort of thing that is inflicted by lit torches, burning oil, alchemist's fire, dragon breath and spells that conjure flames.

The 'mechanics' of ZoT is that it prevents the character from speaking anything but the truth if they fail their saves. It's not a mechanical check against previous rolls, it's a check against what the character believes to be true.

<snip>

ZoT's mechanics are really a roleplaying mechanic, not a die mechanic check. ZoT places restriction on how you're allowed to roleplay within it's actions. Charm and suggestion do the same - they restrict and constrain roleplaying. Charm has no mechanical outcome the way you keep describing mechanics -- it's a roleplaying requirement, not a dice mechanic. Under your arguments, a successful charm on a PC can be ignored entirely because it doesn't have any dice mechanics and the PC can narrate however they want. Frex, 'I know I failed that save against the Evil Sorcerer's charm, but don't worry, I'm only pretending to be his friend. In truth, my patron has protected me and I will betray the Evil Sorcerer at my first good opportunity!' According to you, since Charm doesn't affect any other die rolls, I could not only narrate that but I could also betray the Evil Sorcerer at any time without violating mechanics.
ZoT is a mechanic, as is Charm Person. They are not action resolution mechanics, though - rather, they are mechanics that constrain a players' permissible action declarations for his/her PC.

As ZoT is written, it makes certain assumptions about the identify of the ingame, fictional situation and the real world, at-the-table situation. That is, it assumes that the player knows what the character knows.

It's no surprise that in circumstances where that assumption fails to hold good - which is what happens in [MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION]'s Eloelle scenario - then the spell can't be resolved completely straightforwardly.

At that point we ask - what is the gameplay function of ZoT? The answer: to change the fictional situation as to which character has what knowledge; it transmits knowledge from one character to another. But which knowledge - character knowledge, or player knowledge? Normally we don't need to answer this question, because the two don't come apart; but the Eloelle scenario forces us to answer it. (Other scenarios could too - eg if the player knows more than the character.)

Elfcrusher's point, as I understand it, is that in the Eloelle scenario the player has no knowledge (because s/he is stuck with the consequences of having a 5 INT). In circumstances of player/character identity as to knowledge, ZoT would not transmit any knowledge when cast on the PC. So when the circumstances depart from that, as in the Eloelle scenario, the same should be the case. This point is reinforced by the fact that the player doesn't actually know what it is that Eloelle supposedly knows but doesn't act on (ie the player is more ignorant than the character) and so is in no position to narrate his/her PC providing true knowledge to the NPC.

Now, though, we have to establish how is is that Eloelle - who, in the fiction, does have the knowledge - is able to avoid providing it. The obvious answer is that s/he is not affected by the spell because her patron protected her.

Eloelle's player gets no gameplay advantage from this, because all this narration does is explain, within the fiction, the already status-quo result, that the 5 INT PC has nothing to say under ZoT (this is one case where having a low INT is a benefit rather than a detriment).

If the parallel narration were applied to a charm person spell, there would be no basis for supposing that the player "could also have his/her PC betray the Evil Sorcerer at any time without violating mechanics." Such a betrayal would not be upholding the status quo. It would be changing the gameplay function of charm person, not preserving it, and would thereby grant the player a very significant gameplay advantage.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
What?!?!?! Maybe in YOUR games. What if an SCA geek isn't available? I don't even know what "Heavy Cavalry" is in the historical sense, as distinguished from "Light Cavalry", nor do I really care. (Which I put in the same category of irrelevance as "How heavy was actual plate armor?" "Is dual-wielding effective?" and "How freaking awesome are katanas?")
Your not knowing doesn't remove the information imparted with 'heavy cavalry.' If you mean something specific, it's on you to either make sure that term works for it or that you impart what you mean when you say it. That's my point -- you cannot become upset because you used words you don't understand when others do know what they mean.

Seriously? You may only narrate things in which you've thought through every possible permutation, so that you won't have to add details or retcon later? Christ what a restrictive way to RPG. That would suck all the joy out of the game for me.
You misunderstand -- relying on post hoc reasoning, as you seem to be fond of giving how often you've had to employ it in this thread, is poor reasoning. Obviously, in any fiction, you'll occasionally miss something and have to go back to explain it. But you've had to do this for every single scenario you've put forward or chosen to champion (this one's BI's, for instance). That's a sign of a poorly thought through concept, and it shows in how often you have to retcon or add new fiction to cover your holes. I'm not saying that you can't ever justify after the fact, just that this should be a last resort, not an assumed starting point.

Patently false. Those are MY heavy cavalry. You are free to describe your own.
That's the problem, you didn't describe them, and, as described -- forest friendly forces of high potency -- the narrative still doesn't work because the defeat of the enemy relies upon them NOT expecting such forces -- forces you've declared imminently suited for the forest -- to be in the forest. Your retcon description to save one aspect of the narrative has a result of making other aspects weak or illogical. Why would a brilliant attack plan be thwarted by a troop placement that makes perfect sense? You're back to requiring the enemy general to be a moron so your moron can beat him, which, as far as I understand it, isn't the point of the exercise.

At some point you should be willing to critically look at your construction and rework it so that it does make sense instead of piling on the retcons. Especially when your retcons break the narrative as well.

It was meant not as "you're the type of person..." but "this is the type of argument you are making..." (Which it is.) If you want to continue to believe I'm putting words in your mouth, or to extend "imagine" to other less savory realms, that's your choice.
If you say that I'm making an argument that I didn't make, and didn't voice, then, yes, that's the exact definition of putting words in my mouth. I don't have to keep believing it, you keep actually saying it.

Citation on that? Keeping in mind that determining the mechanical result and narrating the fluff are* two different things.
Covered by [MENTION=6789021]Yardiff[/MENTION].

*Perhaps I should say "can be" two different things, which seems to be the core of the disagreement on this topic.
There's some room in there, but not as much as you're making out. 5e liberally mixes fluff and mechanics, and the lines are blurry in a number of places. This isn't 4e, where the mechanics were 100% carved out from the fluff. This is more like 2e and earlier editions, where they're intertwined. You can divorce them, if you'd like, and I've repeated said that I've no real problem with that and that's I've played that game before and had fun. My points here have been that you're methods require altering the formula and rules of 5e a bit to accommodate. Not much, but enough you should be willing to acknowledge that. This entire thread's worth of argument could have been eliminated by that simple acknowledgement.

EDIT: for the record, I play with houserules. I don't enforce class fluff -- they're bags of mechanics that have some theme, but a player can create whatever justification for that bag of mechanics she/he wants. I do enforce race fluff, but I've changed it. This is because race has meaning in my campaign world while class doesn't have much meaning. So, I've modified some small things to the RAW. I use houserules.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
ZoT is a mechanic, as is Charm Person. They are not action resolution mechanics, though - rather, they are mechanics that constrain a players' permissible action declarations for his/her PC.

As ZoT is written, it makes certain assumptions about the identify of the ingame, fictional situation and the real world, at-the-table situation. That is, it assumes that the player knows what the character knows.
Stop right there. I completely disagree with this. No mechanic requires that the player know what the character knows -- this is a fundamental aspect of game. I don't know how to track very well, but my ranger character does. Under a ZoT, I'm not required to know how my character tracked the Evil Sorcerer across the trackless waste, I just narrate that my character responds truthfully and that's that. Any argument built on that statement -- that ZoT requires players to know that their characters know, is a non-starter.

It's no surprise that in circumstances where that assumption fails to hold good - which is what happens in [MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION]'s Eloelle scenario - then the spell can't be resolved completely straightforwardly.
Yes, it can, very easily. LOL's player either responds by telling the DM LOL answers truthfully with the answer she knows to be true, or LOL accepts she's living a lie and answers "I don't know" and doesn't give the sidetalk about how she's really lying when she says that.

OR, and this is a kicker, she doesn't say anything at all. Or responds with a non-sequitur, like, "There are FOUR lights!"

The only way this breaks is if LOL's player answers 'I don't know' and sidespeaks that she does, and is lying in convention of the mechanics that constrain action declaration.

At that point we ask - what is the gameplay function of ZoT? The answer: to change the fictional situation as to which character has what knowledge; it transmits knowledge from one character to another. But which knowledge - character knowledge, or player knowledge? Normally we don't need to answer this question, because the two don't come apart; but the Eloelle scenario forces us to answer it. (Other scenarios could too - eg if the player knows more than the character.)
No, it's function is simple and clear to discern -- it limits action declarations, specifically, action declarations to lie within its effects. The spell, quite clearly, prevents any actions that result in a lie while within its effect.

Elfcrusher's point, as I understand it, is that in the Eloelle scenario the player has no knowledge (because s/he is stuck with the consequences of having a 5 INT). In circumstances of player/character identity as to knowledge, ZoT would not transmit any knowledge when cast on the PC. So when the circumstances depart from that, as in the Eloelle scenario, the same should be the case. This point is reinforced by the fact that the player doesn't actually know what it is that Eloelle supposedly knows but doesn't act on (ie the player is more ignorant than the character) and so is in no position to narrate his/her PC providing true knowledge to the NPC.
The player has been allowed to narrate that LOL does have knowledge. ZoT doesn't constrain player actions -- the player can lie if they want to -- it constrains character actions. If LOL the character has knowledge as narrated by her player, then ZoT affects declarations of that knowledge. You can't lie about not having that knowledge.

Now, though, we have to establish how is is that Eloelle - who, in the fiction, does have the knowledge - is able to avoid providing it. The obvious answer is that s/he is not affected by the spell because her patron protected her.
At which point you've houseruled the mechanics of ZoT to support the narration. Which is my exact point, and thank you for making it so well.
Eloelle's player gets no gameplay advantage from this, because all this narration does is explain, within the fiction, the already status-quo result, that the 5 INT PC has nothing to say under ZoT (this is one case where having a low INT is a benefit rather than a detriment).
I beg to differ. By not answering truthfully, she's affected the direction of the game -- the Evil Cleric who cast the ZoT that LOL failed to resist has been thwarted, which means he/she/it doesn't have the knowledge to advance their plans. This is a benefit for the party, of which LOL is a member. So, her narration does gain a gameplay advantage. She gets to know the answer and lie about it.

If the parallel narration were applied to a charm person spell, there would be no basis for supposing that the player "could also have his/her PC betray the Evil Sorcerer at any time without violating mechanics." Such a betrayal would not be upholding the status quo. It would be changing the gameplay function of charm person, not preserving it, and would thereby grant the player a very significant gameplay advantage.
Sure it would be. If you can lie under a ZoT because your patron gives you protection from it's effects, then surely you can murder your new charm-casting bestie under the same protection.

Look, I get the argument that it doesn't make a difference within the narrow scope of the question and answer of the ZoT. But that ignores the precedent setting that the story narrated has no connection with the mechanics or other stories in the game. It also ignores that such a narrow view misses the larger effect -- allowing LOL to breach the mechanics for narration, even while the narrow view doesn't change anything -- means that the direction of the game if affected (the difference between telling Evil Cleric the true answer LOL's narrated as knowing vs telling the true answer of 'I don't know' if LOL is delusional). It makes a bigger splash than the narrow look Elfcrusher takes. Elfcrusher seems to be entirely focused on the narrow, immediate issue to the detriment of his own arguments, as in the heavy cav, where his post hoc change to the definition of heavy cav (which he can do) changes the impact and general effect of the whole story (the enemy general is now dumb for failing to anticipate woodland forces being in the woods). I don't mind altering fluff or allowing a free hand at narration, but I also expect such narration to be long term coherent and not a series of increasingly outlandish patches to save a bad concept.

Remove ads