Roll20 users; are my impressions right or wrong on this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Can't help you with the video chat. I eschew it by choice, not technicality. I don't want to hear someone in the background screaming about Cheetos and Mountain Dew.

But I've got an Ogre Slaying Knife! It's got a +9 against ogres!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Been saying for more than a decade that, in the Social Media Age, how a company handles customer complaints and service are more important than ever. And I keep getting proven right.

When I started playing D&D, a complaint like that might have been seen by the company and a couple dozen people. Now, as pointed out by [MENTION=6804070]LordEntrails[/MENTION], it’s international news. And as [MENTION=57112]Gradine[/MENTION] insightfully adds, there’s a bunch going on in the world that- in the past- would have buried this story even if it had gotten mainstream media notice.

I’ve seen companies in some of my other hobbies take serious hits to their bottom lines or even go out of business for mishandled complaints that went viral without Newsweek broadcasting it.

Last edited:

epithet

Explorer
...You can't be racist against a white person. They hold all the power. You can't be sexist against a man. They hold all the power. Reverse racism and reverse sexism is not real. ...

Even if all the people in power were white, or male, that doesn't mean that all individual white people or all individual males have any power. If you don't have power, and you try to get something, and the only reason you can't have it is because of your race, gender, religion, national origin, etc., then you have been discriminated against, and subjected to bigotry.

It's like saying that because all of the Wall Street hedge fund managers are white (I don't actually know whether they are or not, btw,) white people can't be poor. It simply does not follow.

I am also confused by the argument that "reverse racism" doesn't exist. I mean, if you discriminate against people of a different race, that's racism, right? If you discriminate against people of your own race, that's reverse racism, isn't it? I've seen that plenty, from people of many racial and ethnic backgrounds. It may not make much sense, but it definitely exists. I mean, look at you: you're a white guy being overtly, vehemently dismissive of the alleged unfair treatment of other white guys, and only because they're white guys. You have kind of disproved your point.

Unless you were being ironic, and I just didn't get it.

White males getting upset about discrimination is like parking at the supermarket.
It’s not enough that there’s lots of parking, and it’s not enough that they can park anywhere. It’s the half-dozen stalls where they can’t park that irritates. The small handful of spots saved for handicapped individuals. The tiny percentage not for them.

epithet

Explorer
White males getting upset about discrimination is like parking at the supermarket.
It’s not enough that there’s lots of parking, and it’s not enough that they can park anywhere. It’s the half-dozen stalls where they can’t park that irritates. The small handful of spots saved for handicapped individuals. The tiny percentage not for them.
What, now you're saying white males can't use wheelchairs?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I am also confused by the argument that "reverse racism" doesn't exist.

For the most part, the context in which “reverse discrimination” claims are brought up doesn’t involve potentially day-to-day things like a minority business owner refusing to sell to Caucasians (real but illegal), but rather in response to programs that are trying to rectify past discriminatory practices (real but legal).

For example, my father was a student representative on his college’s admissions board. Each applicant was given points for a variety of qualities. So, because of an affirmative action policy, minority applicants were given 1 point.

However, there were admissions points available to Caucasian students that were, for the most part, not available to minority applicants, such as being a “Legacy”* applicant. Legacy points were not available to minority students because the school had a past history of barring minorities.

So the thing is, while someone may raise a “reverse discrimination” claim regarding school admissions because of an affirmative action program, the reality is, many of those same people would likely also decry eliminating favorable treatment of Legacy applicants.

Even though some affirmative action plans have been in place for decades, they’re combatting discriminatory policies that were in place for a century or more. Combine that differential in time with racial demographics in general, and the math still favors the Caucasian applicant.

Which is part of why those lawsuits almost always fail. (There’s more to it, yes, but I’m just pointing out one aspect of it.)

* for those unfamiliar, a “Legacy” applicant is one who has relatives- especially ancestors- who were also admitted to the school.

Last edited:

epithet

Explorer
For the most part, the context in which “reverse discrimination” claims are brought up doesn’t involve potentially day-to-day things like a minority business owner refusing to sell to Caucasians (real but illegal), but rather in response to programs that are trying to rectify past discriminatory practices (real but legal).
As I understand it, if a minority business owner refuses service to a Caucasian (legally or illegally, right or wrong,) that's discrimination. If the minority business owner refuses service to a member of the business owner's minority group, that is reverse discrimination.
I know some folks use the term "reverse discrimination" to refer to any discrimination against white males, but that's nonsensical. To be reverse discrimination, it would have to also be discrimination by a white male (or whatever the qualifying characteristic designation the recipient of the discrimination happens to have,) otherwise it's just plain discrimination.

In other words, if you're different from me and I treat you unfairly because of it, it is discrimination.
If you're the same as me and I treat you unfairly because of it, it is reverse discrimination.

Do you consider that to be incorrect?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases