Epic Monsters: Cerberus (5E)

Today on Epic Monsters we visit the underworld which means of course crossing paths with Hades’ guard dog: Cerberus!

slPdQUdZa8MPGcRlwxjtLaFLeqRms-9X3pxIkEAM8v4rJUS4OkPY8i1cubD0lXm_y2x06o6sV7HdUhaaTs75vISwPOgqkW5_6rXUZ53LzaT2ZwcXvF3osMjOuEniyynkqOl0RoIB

This three-headed (possibly as many as 100 heads depending on where you look) canine keeps the dead from escaping the afterlifereally though Cerberus’ claim to fame is his capture by Heracles/Hercules as one of the twelve labors, a story celebrated again and again throughout both Greek and Roman arts. The hero is initiated into the Eleusian Mysteries and then travels into the underworld probably by way of a cave in Tainaron, guided afterward by Athena and Hermes. Once he’s down there Heracles/Hercules runs into Theseus and Pirithous (held captive for trying to rescue Persephone from hellthat whole pomegranate seeds and winter thing) then wrangles the beast. How he does so (and much more) is written about in great length and changes from author to author, but at the end of the day comes back up with Cerberus, typically with Theseus, and sometimes Pirithous too.

Design Notes:This is actually a conversion from Sean K. Reynold’s excellent New Argonauts with a little bit extra tacked in (a breath weapon). He thought a smaller puppified version would be useful for folks and I am in full agreement on thatif you are too here’s a cerberean hound.

Cerberus
Huge monstrosity, neutral

Armor Class
15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 152 (16d12+48)
Speed 50 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
22 (+6)
15 (+2)
17 (+3)
7 (-2)
12 (+1)
10 (+0)

Saving Throws Dex +5, Con +6
Skills Insight +5, Perception +7, Stealth +5, Survival +4
Damage Resistances cold, fire, necrotic, radiant
Senses darkvision 200 ft., passive Perception 22
Languages Common
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)

Ageless. Cerberus cannot suffer from frailty of old age, die from old age, or be aged magically.

Snake-Tail. Cerberus’ uses its Dexterity modifier for attack and damage rolls with its snake-tail.

Three Heads. Cerberus gains double his proficiency bonus to and has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks. In addition, he has advantage on saving throws against being blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, stunned, or knocked unconscious.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. Cerberus makes three bite attacks and one snake-tail attack.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (1d10+6) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 17 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Snake-Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6+2) piercing damage plus 7 (2d6) poison damage.

Poison Foam (Recharge 5-6). Cerberus exhales a spray of toxic liquid in a 20-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 17 Dexterity saving throw, taking 35 (10d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

I have never heard Dracula used as a replacement for the general term of Vampire. The examples you provide still work it you replace "Dracula" with "Bob" the could be describing a resemblance to an individual, not a group.
Did you not watch Venture Bros? Do you not read The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl? I'm sorry to hear that.

The thing is, everyone knows who Dracula is, but nobody knows which Bob you're talking about. If I describe someone as looking like a Dracula, then you should know exactly what I mean, right down to their fashion sense.
One example is not enough and I will have to take your word for it that they refer to fluffy as a Cerberus. I don't remember that from the book or movie (but it has been a long time).
It's a very well-written scene. Harry and Professor Quirrell are standing in front of Fluffy, discussing how to get past it, and Harry suggests that putting it to sleep with music would work if it's anything like the Cerberus from the Orpheus story; to which Quirrell responds by using avada kedavra on it. When Harry worries that leaving a dead Cerberus in the room might raise suspicions, Professor Quirrell raises it as an inferius.

Nathaniel Lee

Adventurer
Talk about coincidences... I literally just ordered a Cerberus toy on Amazon last night to use as a miniature stand-in since I was planning on bringing it into my campaign setting as a guardian for an important item in the campaign.

Nathaniel Lee

Adventurer
In general I like this, but to me, this seems like a "puppified" version of Cerberus. I would expect a legendary monster with a CR in the 15-25 range. Just my thoughts.

EDIT: As always, thank you for another interesting entry.

I agree that CR 8 seems a little low. I'm putting a version of Cerberus myself for my homebrew campaign setting as I need something tougher to tackle a party of 7 that is already currently at 7th level and will likely be substantially higher level by the time they reach "puppy".

Nathaniel Lee

Adventurer
The actual thing that has always annoyed the :):):):) out of me about D&D was this: Medusa was a Gorgon, she belonged to the set of creatures known as Gorgons, Medusa was her PROPER GIVEN NAME. In D&D, you might find yourself up against a Medusa or several Medusas which again is wallbangingly stupid, it is like fighting a Dracula or several Draculas. It's nonsense. Medusas should be called Gorgons.

I think it all boils down to how ubiquitous that information is. Very few people, relatively speaking, are going to know what the heck a gorgon, but most will have probably at least have heard the name Medusa (all thanks to Clash of the Titans way back in the day). Practically everyone has heard of Dracula, and practically everyone will know that Dracula is _a_ vampire.

Then to annoy me further, there IS a Gorgon in the game, but it's a mechanical bull that breathes poison and...I don't even know where to start speculating on how the hell that is related to Greek myth.

It actually breathes petrification gas. Its power is a weird variation of its namesake mythological creature. And this has bothered me for a long time as well. I'm curious to learn about the origin of this particular monster.

Nathaniel Lee

Adventurer
That's just how language evolves. You don't blow your nose on tissue paper; you use a kleenex. You don't use a self-adhesive bandage to cover a minor wound; you use a band-aid. Likewise, you don't fight vampires; you fight draculas. Genericization happens.

You are quite literally the first person that I have ever heard refer to the category of vampires by the name of the arguably most famous one. Everyone knows that Dracula is _a_ vampire: the books, the movies, etc. make it abundantly clear when they refer to his victims becoming vampires.

And, actually, most people I know refer to tissue paper as tissue paper. Band-Aid's a good one, though. :)

The thing that really bothers me, for the purpose of this example, is that there has never been a named medusa.

Wait... what? You directly reference the named "medusa" at the end of this very paragraph! LOL

It makes sense to fight a group of draculas, because Lestat and Spike and Edward exist.

Thank you kindly for two more examples of how "Dracula" is in no way, shape or form a generic label used to refer to vampires. The _Twilight_ books and movies refer to vampires over and over again, and it's not "Buffy the Dracula Slayer."

There really is no reason for anyone to ever refer to vampires as "Draculas" since the term "vampire" is reinforced over and over again in every form of media.

Nathaniel Lee

Adventurer
One example is not enough and I will have to take your word for it that they refer to fluffy as a Cerberus.

Fluffy is not referred to as "a cerberus" or "the cerberus". He is referred to very specifically as a "three-headed dog." The name "Cerberus" is not used in either the book or the movie.

Nathaniel Lee

Adventurer
I don't think it is quantity that matters, but brand recognition that makes the difference. Medusa has all of the brand recognition. Almost no one knows she was one of three and most people probably believe she had a human or half snake body (which she didn't). For all intents and purposes Medusa is it - there are no gorgons. She is actually the better example than vampires & Dracula with regard to how language evolves.

BINGO. We have Clash of the Titans to thank for that. I was in early grade school when that movie first came out, and it was more or less my introduction into Greek mythology. I was surprised to find out, after jumping all over the actual mythology, just how much the filmmakers pulled out of their asses in that film... and I was surprised that when the studio decided to do a remake of the film that they didn't really try all that much to fix any of it.

Nathaniel Lee

Adventurer
Did you not watch Venture Bros? Do you not read The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl? I'm sorry to hear that.

That's a very specific and limited scope to extrapolate to the whole of society, far outweighed by the ubiquity in movies, television, etc. where the term "vampire" is indeed the generic term.

You're certainly free to refer to vampires as "draculas" if you wish, but it's not what the overwhelming majority of people who even know what a vampire and who Dracula is do.

It's a very well-written scene. Harry and Professor Quirrell are standing in front of Fluffy, discussing how to get past it, and Harry suggests that putting it to sleep with music would work if it's anything like the Cerberus from the Orpheus story; to which Quirrell responds by using avada kedavra on it. When Harry worries that leaving a dead Cerberus in the room might raise suspicions, Professor Quirrell raises it as an inferius.

You're referring to a piece of fan fiction: http://www.hpmor.com/chapter/106, http://www.hpmor.com/

Wait... what? You directly reference the named "medusa" at the end of this very paragraph! LOL
I mean, there aren't any in popular culture. There isn't a show or comic or anything about someone who is a medusa. There aren't even any famous medusa side-characters, or love interests. It's just the original story, and then no-name monsters that show up in random encounters.
You are quite literally the first person that I have ever heard refer to the category of vampires by the name of the arguably most famous one.
Does nobody read comic books anymore? What is the world coming to?

I'm not a big fan of attaching images in these forums, but here's part of a comic from like five years ago:
[sblock]View attachment 104943[/sblock]

Hmm. The version I'm most familiar with has Herakles asking Atlas to get the apples while he holds the sky - because even Herakles couldn't defeat the dragon. He then tricks Atlas into putting the sky back on his shoulders and takes the apples.

There are a couple of versions of the story. The one I am thinking of has Herc freaked out about Ladon (Bernard Evslin describes him as a serpent with a mile-long gullet), so he plays it safe and shoots it from a distance. He needed Atlas' help because "no mortal could pick the apples" (why he didn't use the old Hercules charm on Atlas' daughters is never explained, although maybe after the Amazon thing, he was a little leery of that tactic).

Speaking of Bernard Evslin, his version of Cerberus (both in the Cerberus book and the Sphinx book) is a good base for a high-level monster.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases