How do you handle loot from enemies with mighty or evil weapons?

Nobody mentioned attunement?

Several weapons in the DMG give the example of only being able to be attuned by specific class or race.

Granted, that path is kinda a flat "No", and I do like many of the RP ideas posted above. But attunement has its place.

That one could be broken by a high level thief with UMA.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
As others have said - it's a demon weapon, so it will probably try to corrupt the character, and might withhold abilities contingent on the character doing evil deeds.

That said - I would also have a path for the character to redeem the weapon. The idea of a hero breaking a weapon's shackles to a demon lord and giving it freedom at his own personal cost also makes for a good story.

In comparison, just 'nope'ing it seems like a bad idea.

By repeating several times, "Monsters do not use PHB rules."

The damage a monster does has nothing to do with its gear - it is simply part of its challenge rating.

The fact that a gribbly does 6d6 damage with a longsword does not mean that if a PC picks up the sword they will do 6d6.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
If you decide you'd like to make something more out of it, keep in mind that it can always show up again because they didn't destroy it. They're fighting a group of orcs and one of them has a familiar looking flail - is it really the same one? And if so, why did it come back to them? If they get rid of it again or just leave it behind it can show up in the hands of an even more dangerous opponent. Until they actually decide to do something to "unmake" the item it'll keep showing up in the hands of foes who are trying to kill them. That kind of curse can make for a nice running subplot, or even plot if one of the players feels like picking up the ball and doing something with it.

I would give double xp for this post if I could.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

The damage a monster does has nothing to do with its gear - it is simply part of its challenge rating.

The fact that a gribbly does 6d6 damage with a longsword does not mean that if a PC picks up the sword they will do 6d6.

What it it was a flaming longsword? Where did the flame ability go?

S

Sunseeker

Yes, but if we(the DM) give them special stuff to use, then we're not just saying "OH the giant does more damage because he's big, his sword isn't special." We've saying "Hey this guy has special gear he is actively using in combat."

Which was the OP's example.

What it it was a flaming longsword? Where did the flame ability go?

Perhaps the flames went out when the gribbly died because they were powered by the creature holding the sword not by the weapon itself.

For example (from the OP), when a gnoll proves its unworthiness to bear the magical flail (by dying instead of killing its enemies) Yeenoghu withdraws his power from the weapon.

Gear from monsters is generally not lootable. This is to speed up gameplay and also to avoid the CRPG situation where everyone is carrying around 20 swords looted from goblins.

There are exceptions, of course. As a GM, if I wanted to give the party a magic weapon then I might put it in the hands of a foe who uses it on them. I might also make the weapon a fetch quest goal ("Find the gnolls, defeat their leader, and bring his flail back to the temple to be ritually cleansed.")

Quickleaf

Legend

For example a Flind (a Gnoll from Volo's) wields a mighty evil flail imbued with magic from Yeenoghu. Do you let the players have the flail and use it? Or do you prevent them from having it some way? In that case how?

Here's what I'd do if I wanted to give the a powerful magic item: The three-headed flail of Yeenoghu is a very rare magic weapon requiring attunement. It is heavy two-handed martial weapon that deals 1d10 bludgeoning damage.

While attuned, the wielder suffers madness of Yeenoghu (described in Out of the Abyss & I think online) and suffers whatever curse you feel is apropos (e.g. like a sword of vengeance).

When attacking with it you can only use as many heads of the flail as you have attacks; for example, a 5th level barbarian, fighter, monk, paladin, or ranger with Extra Attack could use two of the heads, while an 11th level fighter could use all three heads.

Head of madness. On a hit, the target must make a DC 16 Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the target must make a melee attack against a random target within its reach on its next turn. If it has no targets within its reach even after moving, it loses its action on that turn.

Head of pain. On a hit, the target takes an additional 2d10 psychic damage.

Head of paralysis. On a hit, the target must succeed on a DC 16 Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed until the end of its next turn.

dave2008

Legend

For example a Flind (a Gnoll from Volo's) wields a mighty evil flail imbued with magic from Yeenoghu. Do you let the players have the flail and use it? Or do you prevent them from having it some way? In that case how?

It depends. Monster / npc magic itesm are the most common method for adventurers to get magic items in my games. So I expect or at least accept that the PCs will get the monster's stuff.

Now, in your example, if I didn't want the PCs to get the flail them the simple solution, IMO, is the it would need to be attuned to a gnoll or possibly even a flind to unlock its magic.

Nevvur

Explorer
I have a set piece coming up involving a cultist of the archdemon of lust/perversion. Said cultist happens to wield a magical flail with a handle shaped like a phallus and a pair of balls shaped like, well...

He'll more likely escape than be killed/captured, but even if they get him, in no world can I imagine this group of PCs ever wielding this weapon. I imagine they'll identify it as a weapon of evil and have it destroyed, with assistance from their church benefactors as needed.

In the particular case of the Flind's flail, I would treat it as a non-magical weapon which gains its powers from Yeenoghu strictly through being wielded by the Flind. I would like to point out the flail appears to be a +0 weapon, if it's inherently magical at all. Observe that the Flind has a +4 Proficiency Bonus, +5 Strength modifier, and +9 to hit with the flail.

Remove ads