D&D 5E Anyone want to attempt writing up the characters from this youtube video of an 80's fantasy TV pilot to 5e

Greg K

Legend
Someone posted Archer: Fugitive From the Empire on Youtube. The movie is a failed TV pilot from the early 80's and released as the movie "Archer and the Sorceress" in Europe. The DVD has only been released in PAL format which is used outside of the US.

I was wondering if anyone more knowledgeable than I about 5e would want to write up the characters main characters: Toran, Estra, and Slant for 5e including Toran's Bow and Estra's necklace. I am not if Estra needs new subclass (perhaps, Toran does as well).

You can (and probably should) skip over the first 7 to 8 minutes and skip to where Toran first encounters Estra in the tomb of her mother (unless you want the background and to see the initial appearance of the snakemen). Then, again, you might want to skip 18:42 to 27:00 (the meeting of the barbarian clans and where Toran is framed for his father's murder) to avoid really bad overacting.

Warning: The video quality and sound are poor. Also, the aspect ratio is off (or the person did a poor matte job and cut off the edges).

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
I was wondering if anyone more knowledgeable than I about 5e would want to write up the characters main characters: Toran, Estra, and Slant for 5e including Toran's Bow and Estra's necklace. I am not if Estra needs new subclass (perhaps, Toran does as well).
A Variant Human Fighter with Archery Style and Outlander or Folk Hero background (really, a Robin Hood type) could work. The Bow and his relationship to it would prettymuch be DM fiat all the way, create a very powerful magic item that's permanently attuned (and what was the bit with the bird and feathers turning into arrows?) to the hero.
Estra really felt Druidy but didn't begin to display anything like the range of Druidic abilities in AD&D back in the day, and the 5e Druid, well, /does/. So she'd be a very low-level or cut-down Druid ... or something (Moonsong's Heart Noble, from A Touch of Class (EN5ider), with Acolyte maybe?)
5e /is/ more accommodating than any prior edition to a party with just a single magic item each, though, and something like attunement clearly features prominently with the heart bow.

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
A Variant Human Fighter with Archery Style and Outlander or Folk Hero background (really, a Robin Hood type) could work. The Bow and his relationship to it would prettymuch be DM fiat all the way, create a very powerful magic item that's permanently attuned (and what was the bit with the bird and feathers turning into arrows?) to the hero.
Yeah, or possibly the non-spellcasting ranger variant. In 4e, the Archery ranger would have been the perfect class.

Estra really felt Druidy but didn't begin to display anything like the range of Druidic abilities in AD&D back in the day, and the 5e Druid, well, /does/. So she'd be a very low-level or cut-down Druid ... or something (Moonsong's Heart Noble, from A Touch of Class (EN5ider), with Acolyte maybe?)

She is the tricky one. I didn't really get a druid feeling other than she has the necklace to summon animals (snake, hawk, panther, and horse, if I recall correctly). She is the daughter of a demi-goddess and possibly the new oracle. She can commune with her mom (apparently, requires Estra to be sleeping or maybe a form of meditation). She has both premonitions and a clairvoyance ability (I can't recall if the latter is limited to the animals she summons from the amulet). I first thought some kind of divine sorcerer, but she did not demonstrate any heal healing.

5e /is/ more accommodating than any prior edition to a party with just a single magic item each, though, and something like attunement clearly features prominently with the heart bow.

I am curious about Estra's necklace. When in the tomb of her mother, she used it to summon both the snake and the panther with two quick taps. Then decided to send them back rather than have them attack . So it is not an item that is usable just once per short rest or long rest.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Yeah, or possibly the non-spellcasting ranger variant. In 4e, the Archery ranger would have been the perfect class.
Nod.

She is the tricky one. I didn't really get a druid feeling other than she has the necklace to summon animals (snake, hawk, panther, and horse, if I recall correctly).
Animals, nature... druids did get a Animal Summoning series of spells... it's what I remember thinking at the time, but character options were much more limited back then.
She is the daughter of a demi-goddess and possibly the new oracle. She can commune with her mom (apparently, requires Estra to be sleeping or maybe a form of meditation). She has both premonitions and a clairvoyance ability (I can't recall if the latter is limited to the animals she summons from the amulet). I thought some kind of divine sorcerer, but she did not heal.
I didn't remember any of that. (it has been a long time, I suppose I really should watch the YouTube while it's up, but I shudder to think how much worse than I remember it being it could turn out to be...) It really doesn't help much, though, with the usual problem being giving a character from fiction any supernatural power in D&D generally entails giving the caster levels, which then opens up all sorts of abilities they never displayed in the source material. D&D's just like that.

Tony Vargas

Legend
(it has been a long time, I suppose I really should watch the YouTube while it's up, but I shudder to think how much worse than I remember it being it could turn out to be...)
Wow, that was pretty awful. ;)

Anyway, upon review...

Yeah, or possibly the non-spellcasting ranger variant.
Fighter w/Archery style would be fine, only issue is Noble vs Outlander vs Folk Hero. The bow seems to do all the magic stuff.

She is the tricky one. I didn't really get a druid feeling other than she has the necklace to summon animals (snake, hawk, panther, and horse, if I recall correctly). She is the daughter of a demi-goddess and possibly the new oracle. She can commune with her mom (apparently, requires Estra to be sleeping or maybe a form of meditation). She has both premonitions and a clairvoyance ability (I can't recall if the latter is limited to the animals she summons from the amulet). I first thought some kind of divine sorcerer, but she did not demonstrate any heal healing.
I didn't get 'demi-goddess' - Torin seemed to be just flirting with that 'goddess' stuff. Warlock, chain-pact, might work, one of the animals could be a familiar, she could see through it's eyes. The others could be summons? ... still has too much, though, cantrips &c.

I am curious about Estra's necklace. When in the tomb of her mother, she used it to summon both the snake and the panther with two quick taps. Then decided to send them back rather than have them attack . So it is not an item that is usable just once per short rest or long rest.
You can always hand-wave powers displayed but that end up doing nothing as just establishing flavor.

Greg K

Legend
I didn't get 'demi-goddess' - Torin seemed to be just flirting with that 'goddess' stuff. Warlock, chain-pact, might work, one of the animals could be a familiar, she could see through it's eyes. The others could be summons? ... still has too much, though, cantrips &c..

I, previously, read it elsewhere from a plot summary and saw it on IMDB- "joined by the daughter of a goddess". Those two sources could be wrong, however, as neither was from official copy to the best of my knowledge. When Toran is outside Estra's mother tomb, the movie refers to her mom as Oracle, magic woman and witch. However, later at the feast of the clan leaders, Toran refers to Estra as the "Earth Goddess" twice when retelling the encounter at the tomb. It may just be colorful phrasing, but none of the clan leaders states contradict him.

Last edited:

Remove ads