The roots of 4e exposed?

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
4e is too slow when you play it like Mike Mearls. My game isn't slow at all! It is filled with action and excitement at every turn. When a combat lasted 2 hours it was because everyone was having a total blast. Some of them lasted 5 minutes (ok, not so many of the combat rules got used in that one, but it was a fight). This is the problem, the game that Mike and co thought they had written might be slow. The game that poor old James Wyatt wrote a DMG for that he couldn't quite figure out, might have been slow, but the actual 4e that was the ideal game that was created, that wasn't slow at all.

You just had to find that game. I think some of the people that worked on it did understand. I don't think that game was just some sort of 'accident'. Just a lot of people couldn't envisage what it could be, they lacked the insight or the guts to go ahead and just do it.

And then they wrote 5e. Chicken poops.

Honestly I am not sure how Mike plays.

In any case we just followed the rules as presented and even from level one it was slooowww. Players turns were slow, monsters felt like big spongy bags of hit points that just did not want to go down and off turn reactions made things even slower as well as contributing to the extra added initiative confusion.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
In any case we just followed the rules as presented and even from level one it was slooowww. Players turns were slow, monsters felt like big spongy bags of hit points that just did not want to go down and off turn reactions made things even slower as well as contributing to the extra added initiative confusion.
My experience was that this got much worse for high-level play. Most of our level 25+ games consisted of just one or two set-piece battles. And, to be fair, 4e does that sort of huge battle very well, if a bit slowly. High level play in 4e felt more epic to me than it did in 1e, 2e, or 3e. But 4e doesn't work so well for quick, easy "side" encounters. I'm not complaining (much), just observing that we actually changed our play style to match what 4e does best. With 5e (and low-level play again), our games have far more encounters per game, as well as a wider variety of easy/medium/hard combats in one game. In those combats, we're not missing 4e's more complex action economy and initiative systems at all.

Celebrim

Legend
My impression is that both 2e and 4e came at a time when a large number of players felt the game needed to be fixed, and would generally welcome a new edition. These people had developed some theories about what was wrong and had expectations about what would be fixed by the new edition. However, both groups were largely surprised by the actual changes that came about. 1e players for example didn't really want to get rid of Paladins, Barbarians, and the like. They didn't want a change of content or a reboot of content. They wanted new cleaner rules for running the long established games and game worlds that they already had. Instead they got an edition that seemed to be throwing out things they were comfortable with and fiddling with areas they were comfortable with, while not making a enough changes to overhaul areas that had been persistent irritants.

2e was fine if you were introduced to it, but it was still a rather old fashioned clunky system and it frequently felt like it was telling you how to play rather than giving you the tools to play how you wanted. For 1e players it didn't modernize the game enough, while at the same time not supporting fully the game you were already playing.

I honestly feel 3e was successful because it was the version of the game that the 1e players had wanted to see. It modernized the game while at the same time supporting the game's sacred cows, and I think it largely correctly identified the sacred cows of the game.

By late 3.5 era, whether you came into 3e from 1e or whether 3e was your system, it was clear the system needed some tweaks and that the RAW was increasingly in trouble because of poor play testing of the glut of content that had been produced. I for one was ready for a new edition, just like I had been in the late 80's/early 90's. But just like before, I had some expectations about what would be fixed and what would be retained, and when 4e came along it had a few ideas that I thought were pretty cool, but by and large it changed things I was comfortable with while not necessarily dealing with actual problems that I had with the system. This was heavily reinforced by the marketing of 4e which was mostly about running down 3e as this terrible system. I tried to like 4e, but fundamentally it was not the game I wanted, and what I thought it would be good at it turned out in practice to impose a huge mental burden on actual design that was just not fun compared to the normal way I prepped for a game. Maybe it did make running set piece battles awesome, but it didn't make turning what was in my imagination into set piece battles that worked within the system easier. Rather, kind of encouraged you to come at the problem in the other direction - what would make a great set piece battle, and in turn make your imagination conform to that.

4e succeeded for certain groups, but not for the core D&D player base. If you were looking for deep tactical complexity and tactical interplay it was the system for you. If you wanted a light weight rules engine to support the Nar version of D&D you always wanted, you could with a bit of imagination make it that game, while still having a big portion of the game support the aesthetic concerns of the most gamist player in your group. At that 3e came out, I said it was a game partially inspired by Fallout 1 & 2, and when 4e came out, I said it was a game partially inspired by Diablo 1 & 2. I enjoyed both video games, but the game I played at my table was more like Fallout than it was like Diablo.

I had one 'encounter' with 4e during its run. I had two new players in my group and they were super excited about playing, so much so that they would have happily met several times a week I think. Anyway, after a while it came out that they were 'cheating' on me with another DM who ran a 4e table. And after a few months of that it came out that they'd quit his table, so I asked them about there experiences and one of them said, "The game felt kind of video-gamey." I didn't in any way prompt that, it was just an impression that they'd picked up on their own.

Again, I think 5e is successful because it's the game that 3e players expected from 4e, whereas 4e is a classic example of what happens when you market a product to customers that don't like your existing product.

houser2112

Explorer
Again, I think 5e is successful because it's the game that 3e players expected from 4e

I was with you until this. 5E is successful, cannot deny that, but to attribute that success to 3E players giving it their blessing couldn't be less true. People who like 3E like it for the density of its rules, and the depth and breadth of its character building options. 5E's rules system is extremely streamlined compared to 3E's, and 5E's character building options are downright anemic. 5E's success is in spite of 3E adherents, not because of it.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The OSR happened long before 4e became a thing, and wasn't a reaction to it. Honestly I think 'OSR' is overrated anyway as a market force. I have yet to encounter people that actually are in any sense militant about, or even prefer, to play such games.
Nod. I thought the point I was making was that it would have happened in the absence of a 4e, anyway.

Didn't it really take off in 2009, though?

Beyond that there was ALWAYS a certain core of people who thought the 3 1974 LBBs were the last word in RPG design. The term 'Grognard' is NOT new, it was current in at least the 90's and probably the 80's. Anyway, I was playing since the mid 70's and I can tell you that the day 1e hit the shelves there were people who hated on it.

So I don't think OSR actually matters. I don't think it appreciably shaped 5e as a distinct movement (maybe the structure of a few options was tweaked to make a more old school type of play a little easier, but 5e is hardly catering to OSR fans anyway).
Were you paying attention to the playtest, MM was constantly going on about evoking the 'classic game.' Playtest adventures were call-backs to ancient modules. Heck, Essentials had gone there in a big way, too, with the 'Red Box' and game day character sheets in goldenrod. IDK if it was because of the OSR, or just because MM is a 1e grognard, himself, but it sure seemed like a thing.

Frankly I think 3.x just wasn't dead yet, and WotC tried to put a stake in it, and the beast just wasn't going to go down.
Honestly, that's how I felt about it, myself. 3.x had only had 8 years, 1e had had 13, and 2e, counting coasting after TSR folded 10, it just seemed too early. I get that 3.5's blistering pace of development had bloated the game like a corpse in a hot climate, but, even so, it was just too early. Plus, with the SRD/OSG, there was a d20 genie that wasn't ever going back in the bottle, so for the first time ever (and the only so far), the prior version of D&D could be cloned, outright, to compete with the new, without getting sued like Arduin was.

I think the efforts the designers put into adhering to some but not all of D&D’s sacred cows was harmful to its potential. I genuinely like certain elements of its engine, and think it could have been turbocharged by ditching classes. Ditch alignment completely (or just Good-Unaligned-Evil) instead of the approach they took. Perhaps even the 4 roles could have been ignored. No need for hybrids or multiclassing- just build your PCs using the feats & powers you want.
There are so many things about D&D that are terrible game design, that there's almost no limit to how much of it you could change before you started making it worse instead of better. But the game(npi)-changing, revolitionary 'RPG better than D&D' has been arround virtually since the 2nd (maybe 4th?) RPG was created later in the 70s, one after another, almost without pause, and has had 0 impact on the dominance of D&D.

4e was enough better than, and different from, D&D to be warred against by the old gaurd, as it was, making it more so would only have further marginalized it - as long as it had the D&D logo. Without the logo, it'd've just been the nth game to come out, be hands-down strictly superior to D&D in every way, maybe win an award or two, and never be heard from again.

As an essentially toolboxy, genre-neutral type system, that form of 4Ed might have been a second hit for WotC while 3.X trundled along to its natural conclusion, whatever that may ultimately be.

I could even imagine that version of the system still being a market presence today.
I couldn't. The two-prong approach may have worked for the original game, in the fad years, but I doubt even the come-back zietgiest of today could have overcome the confusion of having two or more versions of the game. To stage a come-back, a brand needs more unity of identity than that.

4e is too slow when you play it like Mike Mearls. My game isn't slow at all! It is filled with action and excitement at every turn. When a combat lasted 2 hours it was because everyone was having a total blast.
I can't agree with the rest of that, but I did find that, while a 4e combat could take more rounds than a 3e combat, or more table time than a 1e or 5e combat, it was time spent with more of the players engaged in the entire experience.

When I did see problems with turns 'taking too long' it was the players who were disengaged when it wasn't their turns - not even all of them, the old 'wake me when the fight starts' type players slipped off into their usual comas - were the ones that complained. That kind of player really needs to be dominant, the center of attention, to be engaged, at all, when someone else is having their moment, they shut down. The most destructive spiral is when you get a player like that, and he gets the idea of 'leading by example' (because he's accustomed to dominating play) and taking really /fast/ turns, which exacerbates his frustration.

4e was a good game, but it was being played by D&Ders, some of whom had decades of bad habbits to overcome before they could take full advantage of it.

1) the near absence of iterative attacks. If your attack roll resulted in a miss, you were basically done for the round.
Doesn't that speed up play?

[qute]2) too many short duration and/or small value modifiers. That meant a lot of tracking +1s & +2s from a variety of sources, of various durations. You were almost never attacking with the same attack or damage bonuses as the previous round, which meant doing math every turn.[/quote] "Did you remember the +2 I gave you?" Yeah, there was a lot of that. It wasn't any worse than 3e itterative attacks & myriad modifiers. Combat advantage was the main situational modifier, so it consolidated a lot of that, much of the rest was probably under the players' control. You could take feats that gave you a constant befit or more situational ones, your leader type could pick fiddly buffs or straightforward healing. That kind of thing.

some of our less-experienced players struggled with choosing powers, and often were not settled on a course of action when their turn rolled around. I suspect those players would have done better with Essentials classes, but those were not available until after our campaign concluded.
Pregens are a good way to go with new players, and starting at 1st, where the issue is minimized, did not bring with it the problem of the characters being overly fragile. Compared to playing an essentials or other-ed caster, though, 4e classes were fairly streamlined with easy choices among just a few powers, and the choice not being as critical (most rounds you could just use an at will and be fine) vs many, more critical, decisions among spells.

Essentials classes theoretically should have helped returning players who had the expectation that starting with a fighter would be 'simple,' but returning players had been thoroughly turned off by then.

My experience was that this got much worse for high-level play. Most of our level 25+ games consisted of just one or two set-piece battles. And, to be fair, 4e does that sort of huge battle very well, if a bit slowly. High level play in 4e felt more epic to me than it did in 1e, 2e, or 3e. But 4e doesn't work so well for quick, easy "side" encounters.
Acutally, it does handle it simply enough, you just get a quick/easy side encounter, which, compared to a 4e set-piece is hardly worth it (and might well be worth no xp by the guidelines). It's not any worse than it is in another edition, it just seems pointless by comparison. Arguably, it is pointless, in any edition - but other eds were so dependent on multiple encounters/day to siphon off even an odd low-level slot here or there, that it was worth it for the DM to keep the 'wandering monster' and rooms with a few spiders and whatnot coming.

When I did want to get an many-little-encounter crawl going, I'd put it together as a skill challenge, with the 'wandering damage' mini-encounters coming on each failed check.

Celebrim

Legend
I was with you until this. 5E is successful, cannot deny that, but to attribute that success to 3E players giving it their blessing couldn't be less true. People who like 3E like it for the density of its rules, and the depth and breadth of its character building options. 5E's rules system is extremely streamlined compared to 3E's, and 5E's character building options are downright anemic. 5E's success is in spite of 3E adherents, not because of it.

Obviously, there are still some die hard players that prefer 3e in some form. Add them all up, and I think they are probably the second largest block of D&D players.

But I think it is also true that 5e one over a lot of 3e players, precisely because there was a block of 3e players that like 3e but found it way too fiddly and dense and wanted a streamlined more balanced 3e.

I'm sort of halfway in both boats, since the version of 3e I play is streamlined in a lot of ways (no PrC's and resembles core 3.0e in a lot of ways, for example) and has a lot of balance compared to 3.5e, but while I despise a lot of the bloat of 3.5e, I find 5e a bit too streamlined.

Tony Vargas

Legend
5e didn't enrage 3e adherents like 4e did. And it's system is not streamlined compared to 5e, it's actually /very/ similar, right down to Feats & MCing, it's just, as you rightly point out, that the number of options within that system are anemic by comparison.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
5e didn't enrage 3e adherents like 4e did. And it's system is not streamlined compared to 5e, it's actually /very/ similar, right down to Feats & MCing, it's just, as you rightly point out, that the number of options within that system are anemic by comparison.

I think it's important to note that there's a big difference between a game not supporting options and a game simply not having them. While 3e and others have a metric ton of supported class options and classes, that's not to say that a DM can't do the same for his or her own world under 5e.

All it does mean is that the people who complain about options need to create more and bitch less. To me, that's the big difference between generations of players. If we compare a 20 something DM from 1987 with a 20 something DM from 2017, that 1987 guy is probably rocking a small encyclopedia of custom crap. The 2017 guy is probably running closer to RAW.

(edit - and for what it's worth, I remember buying 1e UA when it hit the store shelves. The impact on my group was immediate. It was must have and the content inside it was campaign changing. I understand the desire for folks to have extra game content for character generation and builds, but at the same time it's not like my DM didn't have 10 custom classes and his own way of doing things before UA.)

Last edited:

houser2112

Explorer
Obviously, there are still some die hard players that prefer 3e in some form. Add them all up, and I think they are probably the second largest block of D&D players.

Considering the vast majority of them probably switched to Pathfinder, and how Pathfinder is the main competitor to 5E for the mantle of "most popular edition of D&D right now", you're absolutely right.

But I think it is also true that 5e one over a lot of 3e players, precisely because there was a block of 3e players that like 3e but found it way too fiddly and dense and wanted a streamlined more balanced 3e.

Maybe it did. I can't dispute that, except to say it didn't "win over" this 3E diehard. :)

5e didn't enrage 3e adherents like 4e did.

3E adherents were enraged by 4E because they didn't have Pathfinder yet, and they were worried about losing support for their game. They have Pathfinder now, so they don't need D&D anymore.

And it's system is not streamlined compared to 5e, it's actually /very/ similar, right down to Feats & MCing, it's just, as you rightly point out, that the number of options within that system are anemic by comparison.

It's similar since it retains the d20 resolution mechanic, but it massively changed the skill and proficiency system. Feats and multiclassing are probably the biggest departure in 5E, though. Ability score requirements (from the initial class, no less) to even think about taking another class, not getting all of the features from the additional class, feats being a class feature instead of a character feature, and feats sharing a "character building resource" with ASIs being huge changes to those systems.

I was calling the character building system anemic because there are so few ways to differentiate a character mechanically, not because WotC hasn't published enough crunch. The latter can be fixed with more content being published (whether that be 1st or 3rd party).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases