What solution for "Cantrips don't feel magical"?

5ekyu

Hero
Sorry I'm so behind. I went to work and came back to a million pages of posts added.

The fact that they all chose different classes but separately chose the exact same spells means that what they chose feels less special though, which is my issue. If your party is a human, a dog, an bull, and cat, the one character that has five fingers on each hand has an awesome ability. If you decide that the dog, the cat, and the bull can all have the option of five fingered hands, it ceases to be a special distinguishing feature. It becomes mundane.

This may sound like a radical idea, but I think a class based games should have... ya know... classes that do different stuff. We have a "fighter" that's good with swords and a "wizard" that can shoot fire. Do you think we should just have one class that can pick from everything, because there are a systems that do that? The cantrip pool is so small and so easy to access, it makes cantrips feel boring due to over-saturation.

The reason people are picking the same spells is because people have figured out that some spells are generally better than others. "The ones we need" versus "the ones we don't" problem already exists because of this and because of how broad the overlap is, you're going to have the warlock, cleric, wizard, sorcerer, et al, with the same "ones we need" spells if they have the option to take them. The system gets a straight-jacket instead of individual classes. Granted, this issue isn't too huge when it comes to general magic slots, but when we're talking about cantrips, their uniqueness is complete destroyed.

I'd rather toss the wizard in the garbage and replace if with the Illusionist, the Necromancer, the Evoker, and the Oracle, each with a spell list that barely overlaps. Then, you would actually see "wizards" that were qualitatively and quantitatively different from each other instead of our current situation where pretty much every wizard picks a few of the same old spells, regardless of what school they are.

If my wizard goes into the dungeon with a crossbow and 10 bolts, he can shoot "firebolt" from thin air all day long, but is limited to only 10 uses of "fire a crossbow bolt." This means that unlimited firebolt is mundane and firing a crossbow bolt is magical?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around (what I think) the argument being made.
Regarding fingers argument - the ability is *spellcasting* not *one spell* and the fact that they all chose the ssmexdpell and are now using it to solve the same challenge does not make their festure the same. Just that they elected the same option. In fact, depending on the spells, the results may be quite different in many ways. The dorc may be empowering or even quickening for more effectiveness. The bard may be flouting his spell out and the wizards casting may be triggering secondary effects from his sub-class.

Either way, if an elven bard, a fighter and a barbarian all choose yo fire arrows from long bows across the bridge at a target, that does not mean their "combat fighting" is the same- just that they in this case choose the same tool to solve the same problem.

Now if that same problem with the same solution occurs so often that this becomes "routine" and bothersome, that speaks to the campaign, not the system.

Take detect magic... do we need a very different version of this spell for each class do thst they feel different every time they use spells to solve a " is it magical?"question? Should we cut out the grapple rules to make way for the half-dozen more detect magic versions?

Or should we decide that for some reason only one of the classes has detect magic and sipo if you want that tool in your toolbox pick the wizard and ditch the rest ? So now instead of a bard, a cleric a wizard and a sorc we have four wizards all casting the same spell cuz that was the only way to get that single-spell they thought they needed.

Neither of those to me is better than having an efficient list of spells, a lot of shared sprells for routine functional needs and then having the differences in classes being not so much st the individual spell level but from all that other stuff that makes sorcs, clerics, wizards, warlocks and bards unique.

As a GM I can narrate their effects and results very differently, as described in prior posts so that the difference shows not from numerical differences but from descriptive differences.

I have yet to have s bard tell me they feel like a wizard because charm person works the same mechanically ignoring the whole world of other differences between those classes and even their spellbook vs small number of known stuff.

Fighters with long bows get different from elven bards with longbows not by having bows just fo different things but by action surge, extra attacks, maybe battle master maneuvers.

I guess the difference is that I dont see a specific spell and how it performs as the **feature** any more than I see "longbow" as the feature for the martials. Barbarian-fighter-ranger each start with a longbow proficiency and they each have different features that can make their longbow fire different but if they all had players who chose longbow and not those features and the 14 dex cuz medium armor... that is the result of those choices, not the sign of a longbow problrm.

Similarly, if a sorc-wizard-warlock all chose firebolt, all chose a 16 stat and all chose to not choose various options they have for different changes to firebolt - it's not a knock on "firebolt" or "spellcasting".

Frankly tho, it's more likely the warlock chose EB not firebolt anyway while the others chose firebolt or maybe the sorc chose different due to his origin.

Course, for some, just a random die roll to see if you can cast firebolt means "magical so ho figure.

"This may sound like a radical idea, but I think a class based games should have... ya know... classes that do different stuff. "

And they do... they just dont do everything totally different. Warlocks-wizards-sorcs do very different things and make a lot of different choices and play a lot differently - even stemming from the diff between having 16 cha and 16 int but also bloodlines vs pact /Patron vs spellbook and school. Barbarian-fighter-ranger do different stuff even though a longbow would do the same damage if they choose it and the same options around it.

Last edited:

At the risk of repeating myself, I'd seriously consider using the shadow of the demon lord traditions. In my book, for flavour and versatility it can't be beat.

Forgive the terrible copypasta, but here are the traditions from the core book alone:

Air
Alteration
Arcana
Battle
Celestial
Chaos
Conjuration
Curse
Destruction
Divination
Earth
Enchantment
Fire
Forbidden
Illusion
Life
Nature
Necromancy
Primal
Protection
Rune
Shadow
Song
Storm
Technomancy
Teleportation
Theurgy
Time
Transformation
Water

Want to teleport between shadows while your friend drops down a magical automated crossbow while another casts a spell to become invisible to undead? Each school contains 11 spells up to 5th level, so theres a few hundeed to choose from, but you'll bever be able to learn them all for a long time.

I'm eager to run it if for nothing else then for this. If i want a villain with magic, i can just pick a tradition of magic and boom! Evil water mage!

Harzel

Adventurer
In two different threads recently there were comments that Cantrips make magic too common, so it doesn't feel magical. They were often accompanied by ideas to restrict the number of cantrips per rest.

The issue for me is that there are a lot more actions per day then skill slots, all the way up through 20th. Here's a breakdown I did in an earlier thread:

The baseline we have from this is that casters will be mostly not-spells until double digits, and even at 20 will still have a good chunk of actions more than spell slots.

Back in pre-cantrip editions casters needed to default to mundane solutions - wizards throwing darts, etc. Using mundane solutions also does not make casters feel magical.

The idea of a few cantrips per day doesn't work - it still leaves mundane solutions for most actions until the highest of levels.

So how do we combine the contradictory ideas that (a) at-will magic makes magic feel mundane that several people have stated, and (b) have that casters can contribute meaningfully in a magical way without having to resort to mundane actions? I don't think a direct compromise works, so what solutions orthogonal to mundane=mundane and at-will=mundane can we find?

As one of the "cantrip skeptics" whom I think [MENTION=20564]Blue[/MENTION] is referencing, I'd like to chime in here with a few points.

1. For me, the primary objection to the extensive availability of at-will magic is that I cannot (or at least to this point have not been able to conceive of a way to) make it coherent with a setting that is not high-magic.

2. The fact that it (for me) debases magic by making it ordinary is somewhat a secondary concern until someone says, "Oh, but we must have cantrips so that we can do something magical every round." Accepting for a moment that casting a spell every round is necessary to 'feel magical', claiming that pew-pewing Firebolt every round satisfies that need just feels farcical to me because you have now reduced the label 'magical' to a very superficial bit of fluff.

3. As much as I would like to constructively contribute to a thread spawned (in part) in response to my own bit whining, for me it is simply not the case that my PC must be able to cast a spell every round in order to 'feel magical', and, unfortunately, I don't think I can get into that mind set sufficiently to even guess what might be a satisfactory solution for those who do feel that that is necessary. I just don't see the problem with a mage having to use a crossbow (or, god forbid, use that INT to find something else clever to do) some of the time. So [MENTION=20564]Blue[/MENTION] - are you really sure that your (b) is necessary in the strict way that you have stated it for enough players that it is worth expending energy on the discussion under that stricture? (I guess the consequence of that being true which seems surprising to me is that not only would such folk prefer 5e to 1e, they would find 1e [or at least 1e casters] unplayable.)

4. Ironically, I actually agree that it's more fun for casters to be significantly more 'magically active' than they were in 1e. And in fact several years ago when I started my first 5e campaign (which is also my current and only one) I failed (utterly) to appreciate the magnitude and consequences of the differences in casters between 1e and 5e (it all looked so .... familiar ... lol) and so I buffed them by (a) using spell points instead of slots; and (b) giving them (2*level) more spell points even than the DMG variant calls for. In retrospect, I still think this was ok for the first few levels (especially since we chose not to zip through them as fast as most do). However, by 5th level, my misapprehension had become much clearer, so (not wanting to take anything away) I capped the bonus at 10 (or maybe 12 - I don't remember which). But I digress.

My bent as above is that a good variety helps things feel new and fresh, and hopefully "magical".

If everyone is picking fireball at 5th level it kinda kills it for me. I've played enough spellcasters in 5e that I'm gimping myself now just because I'm bored of the same old spells

Regarding fingers argument - the ability is *spellcasting* not *one spell* and the fact that they all chose the ssmexdpell and are now using it to solve the same challenge does not make their festure the same. Just that they elected the same option. In fact, depending on the spells, the results may be quite different in many ways. The dorc may be empowering or even quickening for more effectiveness. The bard may be flouting his spell out and the wizards casting may be triggering secondary effects from his sub-class.

If we're talking cantrips in this thread, if 5 different characters show up with "light," it doesn't matter what special features you have, it ceases to feel special or magical once everyone can access it.

Either way, if an elven bard, a fighter and a barbarian all choose yo fire arrows from long bows across the bridge at a target, that does not mean their "combat fighting" is the same- just that they in this case choose the same tool to solve the same problem.

It doesn't feel magical when they all shoot arrows, does it? That's the exact point of the thread.

Now if that same problem with the same solution occurs so often that this becomes "routine" and bothersome, that speaks to the campaign, not the system.

If everyone is picking the same spells on different classes because players have figured out that those spells are optimal and the system gives 5 different classes access to the same optimal tactics, that is 100% facilitated by the system. If sorcerer is the only class that gets fireball because they system is designed that way and in a different system, 5 characters with 5 different classes take fireball because it's better than the alternative options, it's 100% the system that allows that to happen. If you put 5 players with decent system mastery together in one party and they all play wizards from different schools, most of their spell lists are going to have huge general overlap because that's the system we wound up with.

Fighters with long bows get different from elven bards with longbows not by having bows just fo different things but by action surge, extra attacks, maybe battle master maneuvers.

Ah, but Action Surge and Superiority Dice feel special because only one class get them! That's the point. Shooting a bow is mundane. Class features that only one class get are special. Sorcery points are special. 3 classes showing up with firebolt makes it more mundane than forcing the classes to use different things.

Barbarian-fighter-ranger each start with a longbow proficiency and they each have different features that can make their longbow fire different but if they all had players who chose longbow and not those features and the 14 dex cuz medium armor... that is the result of those choices, not the sign of a longbow problrm.

The fighter is expending superiority dice to do different maneuvers. The ranger is casting spells to add rider effects. They get DIFFERENT STUFF, which is good and the exact opposite everyone in the party using the exact same cantrips.

Similarly, if a sorc-wizard-warlock all chose firebolt, all chose a 16 stat and all chose to not choose various options they have for different changes to firebolt - it's not a knock on "firebolt" or "spellcasting".

The fighter is doing X with arrows. The ranger is doing Y with arrows. Heck, the paladin has at least one ranged smite, IIRC, so he's doing Z with arrows. If the wizard, the sorcerer, the warlock, the eldritch knight, the arcane trickster, all show up and cast Blade Ward, it's not special anymore. That isn't a knock on spellcasting, per se, but it is a huge knock on how they chose to hand cantrips out like candy to everyone in 5e. Things would have been much more special if cantrips were special features for the class they were assigned to.

And they do... they just dont do everything totally different. Warlocks-wizards-sorcs do very different things and make a lot of different choices and play a lot differently - even stemming from the diff between having 16 cha and 16 int but also bloodlines vs pact /Patron vs spellbook and school. Barbarian-fighter-ranger do different stuff even though a longbow would do the same damage if they choose it and the same options around it.

Sure, there's a lot different stuff in the classes, but cantrips feel less magical when everyone is grabbing the same candy out of the same bowl.

Eubani

Legend
So what about being a poorly trained crossbowman or dagger/dart thrower most of the day make you more magical? Because this is what happened in editions without cantrips.

5ekyu

Hero
If we're talking cantrips in this thread, if 5 different characters show up with "light," it doesn't matter what special features you have, it ceases to feel special or magical once everyone can access it.

It doesn't feel magical when they all shoot arrows, does it? That's the exact point of the thread.

If everyone is picking the same spells on different classes because players have figured out that those spells are optimal and the system gives 5 different classes access to the same optimal tactics, that is 100% facilitated by the system. If sorcerer is the only class that gets fireball because they system is designed that way and in a different system, 5 characters with 5 different classes take fireball because it's better than the alternative options, it's 100% the system that allows that to happen. If you put 5 players with decent system mastery together in one party and they all play wizards from different schools, most of their spell lists are going to have huge general overlap because that's the system we wound up with.

Ah, but Action Surge and Superiority Dice feel special because only one class get them! That's the point. Shooting a bow is mundane. Class features that only one class get are special. Sorcery points are special. 3 classes showing up with firebolt makes it more mundane than forcing the classes to use different things.

The fighter is expending superiority dice to do different maneuvers. The ranger is casting spells to add rider effects. They get DIFFERENT STUFF, which is good and the exact opposite everyone in the party using the exact same cantrips.

The fighter is doing X with arrows. The ranger is doing Y with arrows. Heck, the paladin has at least one ranged smite, IIRC, so he's doing Z with arrows. If the wizard, the sorcerer, the warlock, the eldritch knight, the arcane trickster, all show up and cast Blade Ward, it's not special anymore. That isn't a knock on spellcasting, per se, but it is a huge knock on how they chose to hand cantrips out like candy to everyone in 5e. Things would have been much more special if cantrips were special features for the class they were assigned to.

Sure, there's a lot different stuff in the classes, but cantrips feel less magical when everyone is grabbing the same candy out of the same bowl.

light - if five different characters all chose light (over say Dancing Lights) for one of their few cantrips, then that says something about how important they feel having light is in that game. How many should not take that and risk the downsides in order for the others to feel special? Who makes the call as to who gets to cover that if not the players? Is it better if that occurs not by having five different classes all with light but with them all choosing one class because its the only one with light?

In short, which of those players do you as Gm want to say "no, you cannot do that cuz its not magical enough if you do?"

As opposed to run a setting where the need for light is not so overwhelming that everyone spends their cantrip slots to cover their bases?

You want to make them seem more unique and different with their light spells because you somehow think every single spell should be unique - do descriptive stuff that makes them different. They already can alter the colors as they choose so encourage them to describe the light sources differently. maybe the wizard chooses a stark practical flourescent light, maybe the bark a disco ball, maybe the cleric a glowing symbol of his god's symbol maybe the druid is a moon etc.

Again, not believing personally that every practical effect has to be unique or the horrors swarm in.,. but there is a lot more to the game for flavor than "by the numbers" mechanical differences.

And again - five players from five classes decide to solve the light problem with the same spell - what is your "system" solution to that *choice* they made? Who gets told "if you want light, play the same class as the others" is dividing the spells is your solution?

Arrows - no, longbows as one tool of the martial types do not make the martial classes feel unique - because that is just one tool, one aspect of the class and the "differences" between the classes is not from how every single tool at their disposal works mechanically. Wizards, sorcs and wizards can be very different and very magical even if they share a similar solution for "its dark and i dont have darkvision".

The disconnect is that somehow if a spell, any spell, works the same then the classes have no differences and arent special type of claim.

Optimal and system - by 5th level the players have seen a bit of a game and expectations - and if five people all want fireball thats more speaking of setting than system. They have chosen a tactic of the spam fireballs mosty likely because they have seen it as a solution based on what they see but that is a statement about the game, not the rules and frankjly its not even a good solution because unless your gm is hand feeding tons of fireballs, the power of the fireball drops pretty greatly after a few have thinned out the crowds.

But again, optimal varies by campaign.

On what is special -absolutely - its not the tools (the individual spells) that make the classes different and special - its the other features of the class. Sorcery metamagic - bam -special. Wizard benefits from necromancy or anjuration or evocations etc etc etc - special. Portent dice to get fixed results for a hit or a save vs your spell - again - all create the different and unique - just like a fighter's longbow is the same as a barbarians but the class features **if they choose them** can make the longbows perform differently.

Just like say that sorc with light spell might produce light at range or tins it to get two.

fighter, ranger pally longbows are not doing different things unless they choose to* and utilize class features or other choices to make that happen.

For balde ward - did the sorc use subtle spell so it wasn't seen? Did he choose to quicken it so he could do that and also get a action left over and make attacks or cast spells?

Tolls/weapons/spells perform the same if your characters make the same choices and choose not to use features that make them different.

The degree to which you choose to perceive the magic as coming from the mechanics is up to you. if you do not want to see anything that isn\t a mechanical difference as a difference then hey, thats cool. But if the players make choices and those choices lead to the same mechanics because thats what they have seen works for your game - that is not a rules issue.

And again - what is your solution if you do not see players making choices to get the same mechanical effects as acceptable?

Cuz thats what you are saying - if the players all show up with light and light does what they wanted then its not special enough so... what is your RULES fix if you see this as a RULES issue? Which of them gets told "nope, no light for you" unless they choose a different class of caster than they have options for now?

I simply allow my casters (and warriors and others) a great deal of latitude with descriptive and rationalizations - so, four different light spells might each produce the mechanics benefits of 20' bright, 20' dim 1 hour on an object etc - but not be "all the same" and "mundane" at all.

mechanics =/= flavor or special.

5ekyu

Hero
So what about being a poorly trained crossbowman or dagger/dart thrower most of the day make you more magical? Because this is what happened in editions without cantrips.

yup.

hey tho, if you rolled a d6 each round and on a 3-6 you had to go crossbow or dagger cuz your cantrip didn't rechanrge then thats more magical, right - cuz dice makes it magic-more-like?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

That is what happened in 1e, and to a lesser extent in 2e. I didn't experience it in 3e, because between specialization, domain spells and stat bonus spells, you had enough spells to make it through combats. Maaaybe at level 1 and 2 you had to skimp. By level 3 when you suddenly added 3 more spells, you were pretty good. By level 5 you could start branching out into utility spells and make it through combat. 5e regressed things in this regard and added cantrips. However, unlimited cantrips is overkill.

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

Once again, too many people are pulling the focus away from the OP and the "debate" is getting pointless.

If you read this thread and already feel the game is magical, with or without cantrips being at-will, then fine, say your piece and either please move on or contribute to the goal of the thread as intended the OP.

So how do we combine the contradictory ideas that (a) at-will magic makes magic feel mundane that several people have stated, and (b) have that casters can contribute meaningfully in a magical way without having to resort to mundane actions? I don't think a direct compromise works, so what solutions orthogonal to mundane=mundane and at-will=mundane can we find?

Some posters have emphasized dramatic flare to help and if that works, wonderful, problem solved. But for those of us (myself included, obviously), that isn't the problem. For me, like others, it is lack of variety (especially in combat), that makes magic feel mundane. To be fair, I find the same problem with melee at times, but have my NPC do different things like leaving his engagement with three foes to rush to the aid of a comrade, accepting opportunity attacks if I must, and so forth, to create a greater sense of action.

Yet I digress. Here are some mechanical ideas that I came up with this morning which might make your game feel more "magical":

1. Allow classes (not Archetypes) with cantrips (not Cantrips learned from a Feat, etc.) to change their Cantrips Knowns during a Long Rest. Reason: cantrips are by nature low-power and already enjoy constant at-will use. Increasing the variety or options might help (then again, maybe it won't for you...).

2. Make "Cantrips Known" into "Cantrip Slots". Caster can use any cantrip from their spell list (again, variety is key for me anyway), expending a Cantrip Slot when casting it. All Cantrip Slots are regained after a Short Rest or Long Rest.

3. Let caster classes choose any cantrip from their spell list instead of only knowing a limited number (yep, there is that variety again) when they cast a cantrip (see new Feat below if you want a cost associated with this feature).

New Feat: Cantrip Caster

Prerequisite: the ability to cast at least one spell.

You know all the cantrips from your class spell list and can cast them at-will.

If the focus is lack of options in combat, create new cantrips for casters to influence combat in other ways, such as these examples (these are just drafts, and not checked for balance yet):

Quick Ward

Abjuration
Level: Cantrip
Casting time: 1 Action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a tiny square sheet of metal)
Duration: Instantaneous

You wave your hand across your front towards a target within range, you grant the target a +1 bonus to Armor Class and Saving Throws until the beginning of your next turn.

Repel Attacker

Conjuration
Casting time: 1 Bonus Action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S

You touch your target and push away with your hand. The target rolls a Constitution save. If it fails, it is moved 5 feet backwards. If the space is occupied, the spell fails.

Summoning Snap

Conjuration
Casting time: 1 Action
Range: 10 feet (maybe 30 feet?)
Components: V, S

You snap your fingers and extend your hand to summon a small object, two pounds or less and no longer than 1 foot, that you can see within range into your hand. If this object is being held by an unwilling creature, the target makes a Dexterity save to retain control of the item.

Those are just a few examples. Having cantrips that can affect combat beyond dealing damage might help. I know I enjoy using other combat options for melee, such as shoves, disarms, etc. Personally, I will talk to my players but probably employ one of the options I listed above and encourage my players to make their own cantrips for group approval.

Remove ads