What solution for "Cantrips don't feel magical"?

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I wasn't really talking about rationing or anything.
How is limiting magic for a magic user different from rationing? I don't mean that in a snarky way; if my earlier comment genuinely sounded like overreaction to you, I'd like to understand why.

You can view it however you want- I don't think, for example, Christmas would be as great if we had it every month (or every week). It's just basic human nature- we tend to take things for granted.
Agreed, but I don't understand why every single spell should be Christmas. I'm not sure if you saw the comment I edited in just before you posted yours, but to me, having low levels of magic present in the everyday fantasy world makes that fantasy world a place I enjoy visiting--someplace that's more fun than my own dull, grey everyday life. To me (and I realize we're each talking about our own viewpoints here, just trying to get mine across clearly), it doesn't mean that magic becomes boring; it means that the fictional world I visit has awesome even in non-climactic moments.

I hope I'm not beating this into the ground. I'm just hoping to explain my point of view in a way that makes sense to you. Once again, I do appreciate that you say you don't want to limit how I play. But I do wonder what would happen if I were ever to play at your table (or you at mine)--whether we'd be able to find common ground. It is in the hope of this that I extend the discussion.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I understood what you meant, but it's still too much for me. 51 castings at 1st level is almost twice the total number of castings you will need on a busy day. The wand idea is still my favorite idea. Thanks for the suggestion, though. :)

Fair enough. I was more thinking along the lines of, "You can cast cantrips as often as you normally would need in a day...but you cannot sit there blasting a wall with your mini fireball for hours until it melts into slag. Cantrips take something from you and are not infinite pew-pew guns."

Yardiff

Adventurer
I think they would have done better if they had revamped the "Reserve Feats" from 3.5e, made them a spell casting class feature instead of a feat. This way you can have nearly unlimited spell casting if the casters manage their spells right. Spell casting should be a renewable limited resource.

This is just my opinion of course.

Remove ads