• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What solution for "Cantrips don't feel magical"?

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I wasn't really talking about rationing or anything.
How is limiting magic for a magic user different from rationing? I don't mean that in a snarky way; if my earlier comment genuinely sounded like overreaction to you, I'd like to understand why.

You can view it however you want- I don't think, for example, Christmas would be as great if we had it every month (or every week). It's just basic human nature- we tend to take things for granted.
Agreed, but I don't understand why every single spell should be Christmas. I'm not sure if you saw the comment I edited in just before you posted yours, but to me, having low levels of magic present in the everyday fantasy world makes that fantasy world a place I enjoy visiting--someplace that's more fun than my own dull, grey everyday life. To me (and I realize we're each talking about our own viewpoints here, just trying to get mine across clearly), it doesn't mean that magic becomes boring; it means that the fictional world I visit has awesome even in non-climactic moments.

I hope I'm not beating this into the ground. I'm just hoping to explain my point of view in a way that makes sense to you. Once again, I do appreciate that you say you don't want to limit how I play. But I do wonder what would happen if I were ever to play at your table (or you at mine)--whether we'd be able to find common ground. It is in the hope of this that I extend the discussion.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I understood what you meant, but it's still too much for me. 51 castings at 1st level is almost twice the total number of castings you will need on a busy day. The wand idea is still my favorite idea. Thanks for the suggestion, though. :)

Fair enough. I was more thinking along the lines of, "You can cast cantrips as often as you normally would need in a day...but you cannot sit there blasting a wall with your mini fireball for hours until it melts into slag. Cantrips take something from you and are not infinite pew-pew guns."

Yardiff

Adventurer
I think they would have done better if they had revamped the "Reserve Feats" from 3.5e, made them a spell casting class feature instead of a feat. This way you can have nearly unlimited spell casting if the casters manage their spells right. Spell casting should be a renewable limited resource.

This is just my opinion of course.

Remove ads