Survivor Magic Jewelry (PART II)- SCARAB OF PROTECTION WINS!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I won't speak for everyone, but for me? It doesn't just increase a number on my character sheet. It does something that is very hard to do otherwise. If you have one of these items, there is a very good reason--and probably a very good story--behind it.

"Today, we descend into the heart of Burning Mountain to face the great dragon known as Moltenwing. These necklaces will allow us to breathe the suffocating, oxygen-less atmosphere within the lair of the beast!" *cheers*

"Today, we descend into the heart of Burning Mountain to face the great dragon known as Moltenwing. This rock will increase our Proficiency bonus by one point." *sad trombone*

I hear the "it doesn't just increase numbers" thing a lot, and I have a hard time buying it. Yes, it does. It's just granting a condition immunity essentially, which TONS of things in this game do, and which is about numbers. Water breathing, immunity to poison, etc. are all doing the same kinds of things.

And it's INCREDIBLY circumstantial. The example you gave is soooo circumstantial that it could easily be a one-off homebrew item in your DM's game without impacting balance for the overall game at all (and the fact it requires attunement makes that circumstance actually less interesting - it would make more sense if it didn't require attunement so the party doesn't have to camp at the entrance for an hour twiddling their thumbs).

If your DM wants you to be able to go to a place that requires a special item to do it, they will give you access to that item, making it the opposite of special. You've made it as if it's a meaningless MacGuffin...it's the same as "You enter the mountain entrance and find an elevator, the only means down." It's just flavor regarding your means of accessing the location, and not a meaningful item in itself which the players can exercise any real agency over. They have to use it to access the location, so your DM makes sure you get it to access the location...wee? *sad trombone*

I'm just not getting it.

Also increasing your proficiency bonus is super cool! You get meaingfully better at the things you're best at:

• Attack rolls using weapons you’re proficient with
• Attack rolls with spells you cast
• Ability checks using skills you’re proficient in
• Ability checks using tools you’re proficient with
• Saving throws you’re proficient in
• Saving throw DCs for spells you cast

How is that *sad trombone*? What player in their right mind wouldn't be THRILLED to get better at everything they're specialized in?

Last edited:

Harzel

Adventurer
Ioun Stone 14
Necklace of Adaptation 22
Necklace of Prayer Beads 11
Pearl of Power 19
Periapt of Health 16
Scarab of Protection 18

Ed Laprade

First Post
Ioun Stone 14 -2 = 12
Necklace of Adaptation 22 +1 = 23
Pearl of Power 19
Periapt of Health 16
Scarab of Protection 18

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I hear the "it doesn't just increase numbers" thing a lot...
The example you gave is soooo circumstantial that it could easily be a one-off homebrew item...
in your DM's game without impacting balance for the overall game at all (and the fact it requires attunement makes that circumstance actually less interesting - it would make more sense if it didn't require attunement ...
If your DM wants you to be able to go to a place that requires a special item to do it, they will give you access to that item, making it the opposite of special...
I'm just not getting it.
I'm not really trying to sell anybody on it. You asked me why I like the Necklace of Adaptation so much, and that's why. I tend to prefer magic items that do more than just increase numbers (especially if these items increase numbers that also increase other numbers, or increase numbers past their cap.)

How is that *sad trombone*? What player in their right mind wouldn't be THRILLED to get better at everything they're specialized in?
Me, actually. But that's my personal hang-up, not a flaw in the system. There's nothing broken about a magic rock that orbits your head and makes you better at everything; it's just not my style.

Last edited:

Mistwell

I'm not really trying to sell anybody on it. You asked me why I like the Necklace of Adaptation so much, and that's why. I tend to prefer magic items that do more than just increase numbers (especially if these items increase numbers that also increase other numbers, or increase numbers past their cap.)

But that's my personal hang-up, not a flaw in the system. There's nothing broken about a magic rock that orbits your head and makes you better at everything; it's just not my style.

OK fair enough. So...why don't you like Ioun Stones then? Some give you powers like "You don't need to eat or drink while this clear spindle orbits your head." and "You are fluent in one additional language while this pulsating bit of red jeweled crystal orbits your head. The DM chooses the language bestowed by the stone."

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
OK fair enough. So...why don't you like Ioun Stones then? Some give you powers like "You don't need to eat or drink while this clear spindle orbits your head." and "You are fluent in one additional language while this pulsating bit of red jeweled crystal orbits your head. The DM chooses the language bestowed by the stone."
The two examples you give are my favorite Ioun Stones. If we were voting for them individually, the Stone of Sustenance would be my hands-down favorite. ( [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION] : That would be a pretty fun Survivor contest, now that I think about it: Survivor Specifics: Ioun Stones, Feather Tokens, and Figurines of Wondrous Power!)

My beef with the Ioun Stones in this survey is that of the 13 Stones listed in the DMG, 10 of them are just statboosters. Since the bad considerably outnumber the good IMO, the category gets my downvote.

Last edited:

Adamant

Explorer
Ioun Stone 12
Necklace of Adaptation 23+1=24
Pearl of Power 19
Periapt of Health 16-2=14
Scarab of Protection 18

Mistwell

The two examples you give are my favorite Ioun Stones. If we were voting for them individually, the Stone of Sustenance would be my hands-down favorite. ( [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION] : That would be a pretty fun Survivor contest, now that I think about it: Survivor Specifics: Ioun Stones, Feather Tokens, and Figurines of Wondrous Power!)

My beef with the Ioun Stones in this survey is that of the 13 Stones listed in the DMG, 10 of them are just statboosters. Since the bad considerably outnumber the good IMO, the category gets my downvote.

I appreciate that you thought this out. I find your view on this interesting, and persuasive. I mean, I still love Ioun Stones, but I can see why you appreciate the things you appreciate.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases