Waterdeep: Dragon Heist and the old splintering the fan base chestnut...

There are a few percentage points missing in that equation.

Yeah, I am certain the demographics have changed. If anything, probably in a way favorable to their AP strategy. Tal'Dorei is straight "generic" D&D that can accommodate any FR material easily enough, and Mercer will gladly offer suggestions for setting a specific AP in Tal'Dorei if asked on Twitter. Considering how much he contributed to Dragon Heist, I am certain he has specific suggestions for conversion (myself, I say just plop Waterdeep on the Menagerie Coast, make the Drow mafia into Xhorasian spies and go).

Typo.
I meant 35% for Realms (which is what the linked thread refers to).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Interesting. I wonder what the split would be between FR and another setting -- either a beloved one like Greyhawk or a more niche one like Dark Sun -- if they actively supported more than one. I mean, it's probably not worth the investment for such an experiment, but I think it is an interesting question. I also wonder how many 5E players continue to purchase and use Pathfinder APs and/or setting stuff.

I'm sure plenty of folks are running 5E in Golorian. The emphasis on FR has surely helped it, but a large part of that is momentum from Greenwood supporting the setting so long and so in depth. Indeed, WotC did experiment with other settings, in 3.x and 4E. Yet FR continued to grow. I would say it's reusability is also a cause of success, as most homebrewers could take a given Realms book and raid it for material.

I would say they are starting to experiment with just something like what you suggest now, between Ravnica and Eberron.

The thing is, FR is not the most popular setting. Homebrew is by far the most popular setting, and EVERY published adventure needs to be converted to Homebrew.

So, when you publish an adventure you do so knowing that the DM is going to covert it to a different setting and write it accordingly.

delericho

Legend
I would think that Wizards wants everyone who plays D&D to buy everything they put out for D&D. Not sure how that works out in practice though.

I daresay they want that, but it's just not happening: as we know, they've quoted a figure of 15M people having played D&D (in some form) in North America in the last year. We don't know how many copies the PHB has sold, but it's probably somewhere between 1 and 2 million. And we also know they have a stated goal of selling 100k of each of their hardbacks.

So a very large number of players actually buy nothing for the game (maybe some dice), and of those who do a very large buy nothing beyond the PHB.

Zilong

First Post
And opted to do Ravnica instead, likely hoping the 55% of D&D players who do home brew will be offset by curious MtG players.
I’m a homebrewer and I’m still going to get the ravnica book, maybe the Eberron pdf when it’s finalized. Why pull things from my rear when I can “borrow” from somewhere else and still look awesome at the table. I’ll homebrew important bits, don’t get me wrong, but adapting works just as well and I get a book with pretty pictures.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I daresay they want that, but it's just not happening: as we know, they've quoted a figure of 15M people having played D&D (in some form) in North America in the last year. We don't know how many copies the PHB has sold, but it's probably somewhere between 1 and 2 million. And we also know they have a stated goal of selling 100k of each of their hardbacks.

So a very large number of players actually buy nothing for the game (maybe some dice), and of those who do a very large buy nothing beyond the PHB.

And they are just fine with that, as business wise they care most about getting people playing, so that they can license the brand into tee shirts or motion pictures.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I’m a homebrewer and I’m still going to get the ravnica book, maybe the Eberron pdf when it’s finalized. Why pull things from my rear when I can “borrow” from somewhere else and still look awesome at the table. I’ll homebrew important bits, don’t get me wrong, but adapting works just as well and I get a book with pretty pictures.

Quoted for cosmic truth......

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The thing is, FR is not the most popular setting. Homebrew is by far the most popular setting, and EVERY published adventure needs to be converted to Homebrew.

So, when you publish an adventure you do so knowing that the DM is going to covert it to a different setting and write it accordingly.

Absolutely true (though "Homebrew" is not a uniform setting as such). This is also why FR works for their purposes, as the generic fantasy elements are easily portable to most Homebrew world's that run off of the core books. According to Perkins, FR-compatible Homebrew represent the market who buys books from WotC but aren't strictly playing the Realms. Same holds true for Freyhawk: if it works in FR, it will work in GH.

Remove ads