• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E  Halfling [Race-as-class] for 5e

This is going to be nitpicky, so I'd like to start by saying that it looks pretty good overall.

Wanderlust: I don't necessarily see the archetypical halfling as a "guide" type character. Remember that the hobbits needed the help of a ranger in Lord of the Rings. I think by copying Natural Explorer, you missed the opportunity to differentiate the halfling's style of travel. I'd keep some of the bullet points -- advantage on initiative and double foraging both feel very right -- but replace others.

Halfling's Knack: I like that you changed the actions available from Cunning Action. The Help action is a nice touch (also deceptively powerful). But given the general slipperiness of halflings, I feel like Disengage should still be in there. Probably instead of Use an Object.

Botanist: The wording is odd. Characters normally don't need to spend HD at the end of a long rest, because they have regained all their HP. And even if they haven't, they're entitled to spend as many HD as they want according to the rules, so an ability that lets them spend an extra one doesn't do anything.

Extra Attack: Strange to get it at 6th rather than 5th. Why not swap it with Stalker's Dodge?

Volley: There was a thread about this a little while ago, but by the rules RAW, you can't make a bunch of attacks with thrown weapons because you can only draw one per turn. So an ability somewhere in the table, probably at lower level, letting the halfing draw thrown weapons for free seems like a good thing to have, both in general and for enabling Volley.

B9anders

Explorer
This is exactly the sort of nitpicking that I am after , so thanks.

It's a good point with wanderlust . I will give it some thought .

I pondered about whether or not they should still have disengage . At the end of the day , I figured that with 'evade the horde' and stalkers dodge , they can disengage pretty effectively anyway , without too much overlap with the rogue . I might put it back in.

Extra attack follows the bard in this logic as a figher, but not quiet in fighter , type . Dwarf and fighter get it at 5th. Halflings and elves (based on the bard), get it at 6th.

I tried to word botanist in a way that is compatible with standard 5e healing and the harsher rules my b/x hack will have to reflect the playstyle from mentzer . Back to the drawing board .

Really good point on volley . I'll bake it in somewhere .

aco175

Legend
There seems to be a bit of frontloading, but if there is no multiclassing there is no problem. I do not really see halflings as fighter/rogues with a bit of ranger thrown in. I get wanting to have a 2nd attack with non fighter classes and think that the other classes can have cool enough powers to make up for it. I can see a bit or ranger or even bard mixed with thief.

If you are trying for more of a ranged fighter or dex based attacker you should rework the stalkers dodge power. It sounds like a good power for melee combat and not for an archer type. Something that gives you advantage on attacks with ranged weapons against targets with no allies within 5ft would be a good swap. You could also have more of a thief power where you get advantage when an ally is within 5ft. I would also not have them proficient with heavy armor for the same reason.

I like a lot of the herbalism powers but make sue that they are easy to use and do not bog down play.

They get +2 to dex which is fine and +1 to con which doesn't need to be there. I get that sub-races get another +1 but I think that the other powers make up for it like wanderlust, which if very powerful in itself.

The botanist power where it lets you prepare a meal where you gain and can spend a hit die after a long rest should be something tied to a short rest. After a long rest you get all your hit dice and HP back already, so the power is not needed. During a short rest, like the bards song power, gives you a cool use during the adventuring day. Something long the lines of 1/day during a short rest you make a snack/meal that gives +1d6 to HP. It can be straight healing or tie it to spending hit dice like the bard. You can even give an additional +1 per level to the HP restored to have it scale, but that may depend on how deadly your play is. You can always increase it to 2d6 at higher levels as well.

They start off proficient in 3 ability saves (dex, con, and wis) and then at 10th level they become proficient in all the saves. I would think about changing this, it just feels off. I do not have anything coming to me to change it though.

I would like to see the other races like this to see how they interact with each other. Good job overall

Remove ads