“You do realize”

Bagpuss

Legend
Dissension does not entitle you (generic you, not Mistwell in particular) to engagement with any particular person or discussion.

Hmm I think if they are expressing their view on a public forum, be it somewhere like here, reddit or twitter, then you are entitled to respond on the same medium.

In most cases if they don't want to engage, they can simply ignore the person, or actually use the websites block/ignore features.

Claiming sealioning is more for the other people watching the discussion to try and turn them against the other speaker, without addressing their point. Actual methods to protect yourself from harassment are built into most social media platforms, but don't turn the crowd against your opponent.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
In general I am here to participate in discussions. When people start engaging me as part of some side, talking about fallacies, or doing line by line rebuttals I pretty much lose interest. I am not here for arguments or debate club. I just want like normal human to human interaction.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In general I am here to participate in discussions. When people start engaging me as part of some side, talking about fallacies, or doing line by line rebuttals I pretty much lose interest. I am not here for arguments or debate club. I just want like normal human to human interaction.
Actually, for some of us, that IS normal.

raises hand

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I'm fine with arguments but they tend to either get too passionate or it begins to feel like you're typing into a firewall.

I have respect for what people say, but some things I read can give me conniptions. I sometimes wonder if the person I'm discussing something with fundamentally likes the game.

I try not to say anything in a thread unless I have something different to say. It may seem like I'm the contrarian in the forum, but I really only engage when my opinion is the apparent unpopular one. It doesn't win me any popularity votes, though. I guess I play my games differently than most TTRPG'ers since alot of things seem to matter to others more than they ever did to me. And things don't matter to others when they mean almost everything to me.

I'm talkative IRL, too. So I tend to have ranty posts like how I rant irl to the dismay of my SO. One day I'll learn to end a post within 200 words, lol.

"If I had more time, I would write you a shorter letter"
-Michael Scott

Remove ads