D&D General ‪What does the word “dire”‬ mean to you?

What does Dire mean?

• Better (bigger, more ferocious), American

Votes: 47 65.3%
  • Better (bigger, more ferocious), British

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Worse (poor, rubbish, inferior), American

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Worse (poor, rubbish, inferior), British

Votes: 12 16.7%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
‪What does the word “dire”‬ mean to you? (As in “dire badger”)? And also, do you primarily speak British or American? I think there’s a difference in usage. Which might explain why every group I’ve gamed with has said “you’re a poor example of a badger!” I wonder if it’s an American usage which doesn’t translate to the U.K.

Looking it up, I see:

British: poor quality
American: urgent/serious

I do know more than one person in the UK who asked if the wolves in Game of Thrones — “Dire? What’s wrong with them?”

It’s a poll. Vote above! Use the following definitions for shorthand:

Better=bigger/ferocious/scary/fearsome
Worse=poor/rubbish/inferior

(better or worse isn’t some moral judgement; if you don’t get what it means, feel free to skip this — it’s explained above)

(We have a skit on this incoming but need to check it’s not just a personal thing!)‬

25A9F463-C3BB-4815-8270-06689C6C006D.jpeg

Last edited:

Ulfgeir

Hero
Both meanings... But primarily that it is bad. Like the reason a band singing about moving furnitures or playing guitar on mtv is called Dire Straits.. ;) I try to write British English, but I fear my pronounciation is a bit more American.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
To me, dire means "dreadful." A dire wolf is a dreadful wolf...one that is bigger, tougher, and more ferocious than your garden-variety wolf. So I voted "better," and I speak American English.

(Well, mostly. I've picked up a bit of British pronunciations and spellings from my wife.)

Last edited:

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Serious, extreme, desperate, US English

I get the difference though. Folks here in the states don't, in my experience, use dire to mean pathetic or pitiable, or really use it in everyday conversation at all, except in a cliche like dire consequence.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
For me, "Dire" means terrible in consequence, a thing to be feared. I don't think "Better" or "Worse" are really relevant. A dire version of a creature might be better or worse at actually being that creature - but it's most definitely worse news for you if you encounter it.

Remove ads